XY OU New OU Team. Need some input. Heal Bell Dragonite?

Hello!

I wanted to get some feedback on the team I've been working on for a while now. This is to be used with Smogon OU. I wanted to go for a nice classic mix of sweepers and tanks. The idea is to hold out until the right opportunities present themselves and then capitalize on those fast and hard.

**Alakazam** @ Alakazite
------------------------------
Ability: Magic Guard

EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe

Modest nature

- Substitute

- Dazzling Gleam

- Focus Blast

- Shadow Ball

> Mega Alakazam is the first place I went when looking for a super fast special sweeper. I maxed out his Special Attack and speed so her can jump in and always get the first hit. Substitute is in there to increase his longevity a bit. With a predicted switch out it can give me a crucial extra turn, which Alakazam's speed allows him to capitalize on. Shadow Ball and Focus Bast are used for coverge, and Dazzling Gleam is for taking out dragons.

Smoulder (**Volcarona**) @ Chesto Berry
------------------------------------------------
Ability: Flame Body

EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spe

Timid nature

- Bug Buzz

- Fiery Dance

- Quiver Dance

- Rest

> Volcarona is my set-up sweeper. Bring him in at the right time, Quiver Dance once or twice. Use Rest to get all my health back, be woken up by a Chesto Berry, and suddenly I have a brand new super charged Volcarona. I decided not to go with Roost and Leftovers here for stylistic reasons: I hate overusing Leftovers.

**Dragonite** @ Weakness Policy
--------------------------------------
Ability: Multiscale

EVs: 148 HP / 100 Def / 100 SDef / 160 Spe

Jolly nature

- Heal Bell

- Roost

- Thunder Wave

- Dragon Claw

> Dragonite is the newest addition to the team and the one I'm least sure about. I wanted to have a support mon and decided to do that in the form of a Heal Bell user. Dragonite, with multiscale, weakness policy, and some recovery in Roost is a sturdy force to by reckoned with. I'll bring him in to use Heal Bell, but then also harass the opponent a bit with Thunder Wave.

**Milotic** @ Leftovers
--------------------------
Ability: Marvel Scale

EVs: 240 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef / 12 Spe

Calm nature

- Recover

- Confuse Ray

- Scald

- Dragon Tail

> Milotic is here as a Special Wall. Recover and Leftovers provide longevity. Confuse Ray to be annoying and potentially force switches. Dragon Tail to work in conjunction with Gliscor's Stealth Rock, and Scald for some good old fashioned damage (and Burn is nice too).

Darude (**Tyranitar**) @ Assault Vest
-----------------------------------------------
Ability: Sand Stream

EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe

Impish nature

- Iron Head

- Brick Break

- Rock Slide

- Crunch

> Nothing special here. A Talonflame counter. Iron Head for Rock Types. Stone Edge to punish Talonflame. Brick Break to give T-tar a fighting type move but I really like the added utility of removing screens. And Crunch because Crunch is awesome.

**Gliscor** @ Toxic Orb
--------------------------
Ability: Poison Heal

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef

Impish nature

- Stealth Rock

- Roost

- Toxic

- Earthquake

> I don't have a lot of experience using Gliscor, but I know he's annoying as all hell when I have to deal with him. A physical wall with the utility of putting with Stealth Rock. Roost for longevity. Earthquake to capitalize on damage dealing opportunities. Toxic to punish anyone who tries to set up on Gliscor.

Conclusion
-----------

I haven't done nearly enough play testing with this team yet. But in general I'm not entirely confident in Milotic's ability to fill her role as a special wall. I used to have a Goodra in there, but don't feel totally comfortable with two dragon types. So maybe is I could ind a heal bell user better that Dragonite? What are your thoughts?

Isn't...... Isn't Heal Bell illegal on a Multiscale Dragonite? It only gets the move through via purification through XD the Gamecube game, which was long before Multiscale was available, and it's not an egg move. Though Heal Bell is an available tutor move in HGSS, Dragonite couldn't learn it then for some reason.

Isn't...... Isn't Heal Bell illegal on a Multiscale Dragonite? It only gets the move through via purification through XD the Gamecube game, which was long before Multiscale was available, and it's not an egg move. Though Heal Bell is an available tutor move in HGSS, Dragonite couldn't learn it then for some reason.
Whoops! That was careless of me. I've made some significant changes to the team (below).

ALAKAZAM @ ALAKAZITE
Ability: Magic Guard

EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe

Modest nature

Protect
Dazzling Gleam
Psyshock
Shadow Ball
Mega Alakazam is the first place I went when looking for a super fast special sweeper. I maxed out his Special Attack and speed so her can jump in and always get the first hit. Protect is in there to increase his longevity a bit. Shadow Ball is for coverage, and Dazzling Gleam is for taking out dragons. Psyshock is the main STAB move.

SMOULDER (VOLCARONA) @ CHESTO BERRY

EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spe

Timid nature
Bug Buzz
Fiery Dance
Quiver Dance
Rest

Volcarona is my set-up sweeper. Bring him in at the right time, Quiver Dance once or twice. Use Rest to get all my health back, be woken up by a Chesto Berry, and suddenly I have a brand new super charged Volcarona. I decided not to go with Roost and Leftovers here for stylistic reasons: I hate overusing Leftovers.

BRELOOM @ FOCUS SASH
Ability: Technician

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Jolly Nature
Spore
Bullet Seed
Mach Punch
Rock Tomb

I threw Breloom in place of Dragonite to help deal with Greninja. I normally prefer slightly more defensive builds but I needed a strong physical attacker.

GOODRA @ ASSAULT VEST
Ability: Marvel Scale

EVs: 240 HP / 252 SAtk / 16 Spe

Modest nature

Dragon Pulse
Fire Blast
Sludge Bomb
Dragon Tail

(swapped Milotic for Goodra) After some of you pointed out my Dragonite wasn't going to work, I decided to put Goodra in the Special Wall spot instead of Milotic, and swap Dragonite out for someone else. Dragon Pulse for STAB, Dragon Tail to stop set-up sweepers and work with Tyranitar's Stealth Rocks, Sludgebomb to take out fairies, and Fireblast for Steel types.

DARUDE (TYRANITAR) @ LEFTOVERS
Ability: Sand Stream

EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe

Careful nature

Pursuit
Ice Beam
Stealth Rock
Crunch

Changed Tyranitar into a support roll. Leftovers because it doesn'thave any other recovery. Stealth Rock to work with Goodra's Dragon Tail. Ice Beam to deal with Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Gliscor, and Landorus. Pursuit to take out those who switch out of Tyranitar.

GLISCOR @ TOXIC ORB
Ability: Poison Heal

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef

Impish nature

Taunt
Roost
Toxic
Earthquake

I don't have a lot of experience using Gliscor, but I know he's annoying as all hell when I have to deal with him. A physical wall with the utility of putting with Stealth Rock. Roost for longevity. Earthquake to capitalize on damage dealing opportunities. Toxic to punish anyone who tries to set up on Gliscor.

CHANGES
Special Wall Milotic was changed to Goodra

On Alakazam: Substitute was changed to Protect and Focus Blast to Psyshock

Tyranitar was entirely restructured, to take on more of a support role with Stealth Rock

Gliscor's Stealth Rock changed to Taunt
Switched out Dragonite for Breloom as a Physical Attacker

Ok, there are a lot of things wrong with this team straight off the bat. First of all, alakazam has no STAB moves. If you are set on having an alakazam with substitute or protect, then run psychic or psyshock instead of focus blast. Second is volcarona. If volcarona is your set up, then you need a different send completely.
Volcarona @ leftovers
Ability: Flame body
Timid nature|252 sp.atk/252 spe/4 sp.def
-Quiver Dance
-Fiery Dance
-Bug Buzz
-Roost/Giga Drain
Overusing leftovers is never really a bad thing. Just because resto chesto is more stylistic doesn't mean it's better. Next, we have dragonite. Don't use weakness policy on a heal bell/t-wave dragonite. If you want heal bell, use leftovers. If you are set on using weakness policy, you should go with
Dragonite @ weakness policy
Adamant nature|252 atk/252 spe/4 def
-Dragon Dance/Roost
-Dragon Claw
-Extreme Speed
-Earthquake/Fire Punch
Milotic is fine
Tyranitar is pretty good except you should use earthquake over brick break and put remaining 16 evs into atk not spe. Gliscor is fine. Your team is OK at best but with these improvements it could probably be better.

I am going to give you a quick rate real quick, first couple of things I notice.

Replace Dazzling Gleam with Psychic on Mega Alakazam. Psychic is a good STAB for MZam to have.

Please do not run Weakness Policy on Dragonite. It only works once and is really unreliable. That set in particular is completely walled by Fairy Types. If you want a bulkier Dragonite, best set is this:

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Adamant nature|216 HP / 64 Atk / 228 SDef
-Roost
-Dragon Claw
-Extreme Speed
-Fire Punch / Superpower

If you want a more offensive Dragonite, use Baconlordz set with Dragon Dance + Lum Berry > Roost + Weakness Policy. Again, this is a really quick rate, I will probably give you a full rate later in the day, as I do not have the time right now to give you a full rate.

Hey here with a few minor suggestions that should help you. I like how you altered the team to fix some of its weaknesses, but you should use the edit button to include the changes in the original post so it's easier for others to rate your team. Now onto the team. Focus Blast > Dazzling Gleam on Alakazam, this way it doesn't get walled by Ferrothorn or Heatran. Focus Sash Breloom is pretty good but it's not a great Greninja check. Azumarill would fit the team better because it brings a few necessary resistances that allows it to naturally check Greninja (that don't carry HP Grass or Grass Knot). The team has a bit of a Keldeo weakness and Azumarill definitely helps in that regard. You could use Assault Vest Azumarill or Choice Band Azumarill, with an Assault Vest it's able to function as a better check but Choice Band gives it more power, but it's really up to which one you prefer. Goodra doesn't have Marvel Scale either, I recommend giving it Sap Sipper so it can challenge Ferrothorn and M-Venusaur. I would also use Muddy Water > Dragon Tail so it isn't walled by Heatran. Physically defensive Tyranitar is a little out there, it already has enough bulk to take resisted physical hits, investing in its special defense is better. Plus you already have Gliscor to take physical hits. I suggest giving Ttar a 252 HP / 76 Def / 184 SpD EV spread. I also recommend using Fire Blast over Ice Beam on Ttar, so it can 2HKO Skarmory and Ferrothorn. You never want to risk keeping it in on Landorus-T or -I. Landorus-T can't do anything to Gliscor at all while Gliscor can just Toxic stall. And Landorus is checked by Goodra. Gliscors HP value is a little off as well, 244 HP EVs makes its health a multiple of eight so it regains the maximum amount of HP from Poison Heal, I suggest using 244 HP EVs. You could place the leftover EVs in Spe or SpD. Good Luck with the team.
Azumarill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Waterfall

OR

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off / Superpower
- Waterfall

I agree with Rob.'s suggestion of Assault Vest Azumarill > Breloom. However, I disagree with Rob. 's spread on Gliscor- 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 Spe allows you to outrun Adamant Excadrill and Jolly Mega Heracross, and setting its HP to 244 HP EVs for a Poison Heal Number is detrimental-

252 Atk Mega Heracross Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 244 HP / 64+ Def Gliscor: 130-155 (36.9 - 44%) -- approx. 5.5% chance to 3HKO after Poison Heal
252 Atk Mega Heracross Rock Blast (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 56+ Def Gliscor: 130-155 (36.7 - 43.7%) -- approx. 2.7% chance to 3HKO after Poison Heal

In reality, Gliscor gets more bulk maximizing its HP rather than setting it to a Poison Heal number.
Speaking of Gliscor, you want Acrobatics > Toxic, since it allows you to handle Mega Heracross much reliably. It seems odd not having a fully-powered Acrobatics, but you 2HKO MHera anyway, and you can use Gliscor to absorb Knock Off once it has poisoned itself. I said I was going to give a full rate, but most of what I was going to cover was covered.

I should note that your team has huge troubles with Mamoswine, you have absolutely no safe switch-in to it. But Mamoswine pretty much threatens every team, you are only going to beat it if you have Ferrothorn or Skarmory, neither of which fit on your team.

In my opinion, Volcarona is superfluous, and you really do not have the proper support to probably dispose of Heatran and Azumarill, which both cause troubles for your team anyways. Also, Volcarona is 4x weak to Stealth Rock, but is not paired with a Rapid Spinner or Defogger, which is absurdly risky.... I wanted to suggest replacing Volcarona with Sub Calm Mind Keldeo, but your team is cockblocked by Azumarill to begin with. The only other logical suggestion I have to properly deal with is Bulky Dragon Dance Gyarados > Volcarona, since Gyara does not care about Heatran, and can mess with Azu. However, since you lack Rapid Spin or Defog, you want to avoid bringing in Gyarados until late game to sweep.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 88 HP / 192 Atk / 4 Def / 224 Spe
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce

These are the best fixes I can give you. Good luck with the team.

Alfalfa Gliscor will appreciate the extra HP replenished rather than the 0.2 - 0.3 damage differential.

Also SavageReindeer, sorry I missed the Volcarona. I chose to post again rather than edit my post just to make sure you received the edit. Instead of using Volcarona use Bulky SD Scizor. Volcarona won't perform well without entry hazard support because of its crippling weakness to Stealth Rock. Scizor has no problem switching into entry hazards. It gives you a nice M-Gardevoir check and plugs the teams weakness to Ice, Fairy, and Steel type attacks.
Scizor @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 216 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- U-turn

Your Volcarona... isn't right. I agree with Baconlordz. Running ChestoRest isn't even viable, since you have Giga Drain and/or Roost in Volcarona's arsenal. Overusing Leftovers isn't really that bad. In addition, please don't ever have Volcarona run 252 EVs on HP. Given that, Volcarona can only be able to successfully switch in to Stealth Rock once. You should run 248 EVs on HP instead if you really want it maximized. The explanation for this is that if your Pokemon's HP is an even number, it takes more damage from SR and residual damage, so running an HP stat with an odd number is advised.

I'd like to suggest to run this Offensive Quiver Dance set instead:

Volcarona @ Life Orb
EVs: 96 HP / 252 SpA / 160 Spe
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain

96 HP EVs ensures that it could successfully switch in to SR twice. 160 Speed EVs in order to outspeed Adamant Excadrill at +0, as well as Scarf Heatran and Mega Manectric at +1. An EV spread of 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe can be an alternative if you want to outspeed a wider amount of threats. Running Timid nature might be an option too. Fiery Dance is what I prefer over Fire Blast, since it could boost its SpAtk by one stage, and the miss chance of Fire Blast isn't a risk I'm willing to take. Bug Buzz is also another STAB move. Giga Drain is to sack up damage lost from Life Orb, and in order to take care of Rock-types and Water-types.

Also, I'd like to ask. Why are you running Protect on Mega-Alakazam. Replace it with Focus Blast in order to deal better against Tyranitar, Ferrothorn. It can even deal with Skarmory, Forretress, as well as AV Excadrill.

Here are some relevant calcs against some Specially Defensive opponents:
252+ SpA Mega Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Skarmory: 180-212 (53.8 - 63.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Mega Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Forretress: 177-209 (50.1 - 59.2%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Mega Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 120 HP / 252 SpD Assault Vest Excadrill: 248-292 (63.4 - 74.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Mega Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn: 234-276 (66.4 - 78.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Mega Alakazam Focus Blast vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 248-294 (64.4 - 76.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Last edited:
Alfalfa Gliscor will appreciate the extra HP replenished rather than the 0.2 - 0.3 damage differential.

Also SavageReindeer, sorry I missed the Volcarona. I chose to post again rather than edit my post just to make sure you received the edit. Instead of using Volcarona use Bulky SD Scizor. Volcarona won't perform well without entry hazard support because of its crippling weakness to Stealth Rock. Scizor has no problem switching into entry hazards. It gives you a nice M-Gardevoir check and plugs the teams weakness to Ice, Fairy, and Steel type attacks.
Scizor @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Atk / 216 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- U-turn
Gliscor does not gain any extra HP replenished from setting his HP at a Poison Heal Number rather than 2 HP points. He still regains the same amount of HP at 244 HP EVs than he does at 252 HP EVs while poisoned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)