Avalugg QC[0/3]

Now you'll always have a table at Starbucks

Overview
########

• Ice type makes Avalugg have a hard time typing wise
  • Steel, Fire, Fighting, and Rock make his life hell.
  • Also, makes it so its reluctant to switch in on Rocks
  • Defense is sky high, Special Defense is paper thin
  • Has recovery so it can stay longer
  • Is a spinner so it isn't just a tank
  • Has a decent attack to fight
  • Low Speed makes it easily revenge killed
  • Also makes it harder to Spin and is outclassed like by Crygonal

Rapid Spin
########
Name: Rapid Spin
move 1: Rapid Spin
move 2: Recover
move 3: Avalanche
move 4: Earthquake / Toxic / Roar
ability: Sturdy
item: Leftovers
evs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
nature: Careful

Moves
========

• Rapid Spin removes hazards
  • Avalanche is main STAB and good damage
  • Recover is good for stalling
  • Earthquake is good coverage on Fire and Steel types
  • Toxic is a good stall weapon
  • Roar is great for phazing

Set Details
========

• 248 HP doesn't do as much Stealth Rock damage
  • 252 SpD allows for maximum tanking
  • 8 Atk was extra EVs thrown in the best place. 8 Def doesn't give as much since his Defense is GIGANTIC.
  • Leftovers is for better stall and survivability
  • Careful Nature for higher SpD

Usage Tips
========

• Physical Defense against most Physical Attackers take a while, Avalugg can usually kill them
  • Special Defense is so paper thin, be careful on switching in
  • Possible to survive and OHKO Special Attackers
  • Less wary of typing, more wary of type of attack
  • Be careful not to spin into a Ghost type, so try to make sure Ghost types aren't still up
  • Ice and Ground type coverage make it hard to switch into Avalugg. Take advantage of that

Team Options
========

• Special Tanks, like Mantine for helping with his tanking
  • Setup, like Ferroseed helps Avalugg not get outshined by Defoggers
  • Good for teams that need a physical tank or teams that hate hazards and want to keep their own
  • Pokemon like Magmortar help alleviate Avalugg's weaknesses to Special Attackers that Avalugg has a weakness to
  • Pokemon that deal with Spinblockers(Ghost types) like Mismagius help Avalugg do his job

Other Options
########

• Curse set makes Avalugg a Bulky Booster
  • Magic Coat can surprise Special Attackers and potentially kill them
  • Crunch can be used for Rotom-A or Mismagius, but Avalugg shouldn't even be in on these two.

Checks & Counters
########

**Special Attackers in general** Any special attacker especially with STAB and SE on Avalugg like Typhlosion and Magmortar
**Stallers who resist Avalugg's moves** They can kill Avalugg and can kill Avalugg and even setup, like Ludicolo, Rotom-F, and Ferroseed. Especially if you don't run Toxic.
**Status** Toxic is honestly the only thing that can kill Avalugg with its over time damage. Burn doesn't hurt him as much, it just lowers his kill potential. Paralyzing is fine, just that occasional paralysis is bad. Sleep is only bad if Leech Seed and/or Special Attackers are there.
**Set Up** If Avalugg doesn't have Roar, he cannot deal with some setups like Mismagius or even physical attackers like Throh. Most variants of Hariyama make Avalugg cry as Thick Fat or even Guts or Sheer Force.

Last edited:

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Already rejecting Assault Vest, it's just not good, will check later more thoroughly probably.

Already rejecting Assault Vest, it's just not good, will check later more thoroughly probably.
Would you rather have me use the Hail Set and throw the AV set in the More Options section? I would like to know a good reason why, a good set to replace it, and a good situation where this would be more useful than the set you are replacing.

Would you rather have me use the Hail Set and throw the AV set in the More Options section? I would like to know a good reason why, a good set to replace it, and a good situation where this would be more useful than the set you are replacing.
There shouldn't be a replacement. The first set you have is the only viable Avalugg set.

On a side note, your formatting is way, way off. Try here to see how to correctly format an analysis (it's at the bottom in a hide tag)

You also need to have the analysis in bullet point form until you receive 3 QC checks.

There shouldn't be a replacement. The first set you have is the only viable Avalugg set.

On a side note, your formatting is way, way off. Try here to see how to correctly format an analysis (it's at the bottom in a hide tag)

You also need to have the analysis in bullet point form until you receive 3 QC checks.
Ok ok I was just lazy formatting wise. Sorry bout that :P
Well I enjoy giving two choices, but everyone knows it's third time's the charm for anything.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yes, please implement the stuff luxray said above. Am on my phone and just briefly glanced at the analysis so didn't point out the formatting points lol.

As far as an analysis goes cellgoondude if there is only one viable set, then there is only going to be one set on the analysis. If the pokemon can sort of run something else half way decently then you stick it in Other Options, otherwise you shouldn't mention it at all.

Yes, please implement the stuff luxray said above. Am on my phone and just briefly glanced at the analysis so didn't point out the formatting points lol.

As far as an analysis goes cellgoondude if there is only one viable set, then there is only going to be one set on the analysis. If the pokemon can sort of run something else half way decently then you stick it in Other Options, otherwise you shouldn't mention it at all.
Fine even though I honestly believe it can run it decently with the right team, I'll place it in the Other Options.

Montsegur LightningLuxray Is it ok now?

Last edited:
Note: I am not a QC member, feel free to ignore me, just some suggestions:

Overview:

- Mention that its weak to Stealth Rock.

Moveset:

- You should probably slash Rapid Spin first, as the set is named after it. You mentioned it in moves first too, so you should probably slash it first.

Moves:

- Gyro Ball does good damage, but coverage isn't as good, is what you mention. Small nitpick, but coverage isn't as good as what? Mention Earthquake there.

Set Details:

- I think you should combine the first two points together. Something like: Maxed Defense makes Avalugg capable of tanking even more hits and the EVs invested in HP makes Stealth Rock do less.
- I also think you should remove the point about the 8 attack, 8 attack only boosts attack up by 2 points and doesn't have much value.

Usage Tips:

- Mention to switch in Avalugg when a physical attacker is on the field (such as Golurk). However, people mustn't switch in Avalugg against one of its weaknesses.
Special Defense is so paper thin
- ? Mention it shouldn't switch in to Special Attackers.
Possible to survive and OHKO Special Attackers
- I don't get this part. It is able to survive some Special Attacks, yes, but that doesn't mean you should switch it in. Remove this part imo

Team Options:

- Mention stuff that can take care of special attackers that Avalugg has a weakness against (i.e Magmortar)
- Why would it prefer set-up? To gain a KO with Avalanche either or something? Explain why.
- Mention something to take out Ghost-types as they block Rapid Spin.

Other Options:

- Add and mention that Curse is good for boosting up physical side, and boosts up Gyro Ball.
- Roar stops set-up, mention it.

Checks & Counters:

- You mention examples of stallers that resist Avalugg's move, however Ferroseed and Ludicolo are still neutrally hit by Avalanche. Mention something like Rotom-Frost that is only 3HKOed by Gyro Ball and can burn it.
- Formatting is still wrong:

**Pokemon that checks or counters it** this is the correct formatting.

Last edited:
Note: I am not a QC member, feel free to ignore me, just some suggestions:

Overview:

- Mention that its weak to Stealth Rock.

Moveset:

- You should probably slash Rapid Spin first, as the set is named after it. You mentioned it in moves first too, so you should probably slash it first.

Moves:

- Gyro Ball does good damage, but coverage isn't as good, is what you mention. Small nitpick, but coverage isn't as good as what? Mention Earthquake there.

Set Details:

- I think you should combine the first two points together. Something like: Maxed Defense makes Avalugg capable of tanking even more hits and the EVs invested in HP makes Stealth Rock do less.
- I also think you should remove the point about the 8 attack, 8 attack only boosts attack up by 2 points and doesn't have much value.

Usage Tips:

- Mention to switch in Avalugg when a physical attacker is on the field (such as Golurk). However, people mustn't switch in Avalugg against one of its weaknesses.
Special Defense is so paper thin
- ? Mention it shouldn't switch in to Special Attackers.
Possible to survive and OHKO Special Attackers
- I don't get this part. It is able to survive some Special Attacks, yes, but that doesn't mean you should switch it in. Remove this part imo

Team Options:

- Mention stuff that can take care of special attackers that Avalugg has a weakness against (i.e Magmortar)
- Why would it prefer set-up? To gain a KO with Avalanche either or something? Explain why.
- Mention something to take out Ghost-types as they block Rapid Spin.

Other Options:

- Add and mention that Curse is good for boosting up physical side, and boosts up Gyro Ball.
- Roar stops set-up, mention it.

Checks & Counters:

- You mention examples of stallers that resist Avalugg's move, however Ferroseed and Ludicolo are still neutrally hit by Avalanche. Mention something like Rotom-Frost that is only 3HKOed by Gyro Ball and can burn it.
- Formatting is still wrong:

**Pokemon that checks or counters it** this is the correct formatting.
I literally said EQ is coverage before Gyro Ball
Rapid Spin isn't even slashed
False fact, switching into a weakness doesn't really kill Avalugg
The formatting is still wrong? Well SAY what's wrong at the least.
Otherwise I agree with whatever points you had.

I literally said EQ is coverage before Gyro Ball
Rapid Spin isn't even slashed
False fact, switching into a weakness doesn't really kill Avalugg
The formatting is still wrong? Well SAY what's wrong at the least.
Otherwise I agree with whatever points you had.
Well, i meant, put Rapid Spin as move 1 'cuz the set is named after it.
And no, you began about Toxic.
It does if it's a special attacker, and even few physical attackers (Guts boosted close combat hariyama) can 2HKO it

Your formatting is supposed to be like this:

**Special Attackers** Special Attackers in general, such as Typhlosion and Magmortar.

Well, i meant, put Rapid Spin as move 1 'cuz the set is named after it.
And no, you began about Toxic.
It does if it's a special attacker, and even few physical attackers (Guts boosted close combat hariyama) can 2HKO it

Your formatting is supposed to be like this:

**Special Attackers** Special Attackers in general, such as Typhlosion and Magmortar.
Oh really? Anyways fine I admit Guts CC but Thick Fat AV is more common IMO. That Special Attacker thing is format? Okay then.

I don't think that using max defense is useful at all as Avalugg hits like 400 defense uninvested and investing in special defense (which can be improved greatly thanks to its decent HP stat) can be useful in my opinion to check special attackers that don't use boosting items and ice types letting you avoid the 2hko from jynx psychic, Rotom thunderbolt (huge), and Life Orb Lilligant. All stuff you can OHKO back with Crunch/avalanche/prolly EQ in jynx case.
Max HP max special defense careful is the best spread for ice table imo :]

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
evs: 248 HP. / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Remove the '.' after HP when you're changing the spread.
ivs: 31 Spe / 0 Spe
Just list '0 Spe' as you're only sopposed to list the lower one in this case as Gyro is slashed onto the set. You don't need to list all possible variations in IVs: you only list the ones required for a certain move on there.
nature: Impish Nature / Relaxed Nature
You don't need to write 'Nature' after each of them. You just write 'Impish' or 'Relaxed' (although these will be changed when you implement the new spread).
Spinning Chunk of Ice
########
Name: Physical Defensive Spinner
move 1: Recover
move 2: Avalanche
move 3: Earthquake / Toxic / Gyro Ball
move 4: Rapid Spin
evs: 248 HP. / 8 Atk / 252 Def
ivs: 31 Spe / 0 Spe
nature: Impish Nature / Relaxed Nature
The ordering of the moves shoyuld be as follows:
  1. Rapid Spin
  2. Avalanche
  3. Earthquake / Toxic / Gyro Ball
  4. Recover
Both the tab and set name should both be "Rapid Spin" instead of "Spinning Chunk of Ice" and "Physically Defensive Spinner".

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Honestly this analysis needs a heck of a lot of brushing up. In case you're unfamiliar with formatting issues, you can refer to other analyses for a better idea. For now just actually implement the suggested changes, like the Set formatting, removal of Ice Body and Assault Vest in OO (don't worry, I'll give you something to fill in OO), and galbia's EV spread.

The Overview needs to mention Avalugg's poor Speed, and remove the point about 'reusing Sturdy' since it very rarely effectively makes use of Sturdy if it should ever activate or would simply not be able to heal up in time, making the advantage meaningless.

Mention the type of targets Earthquake hits (Steel-types, Fire-types), 'good coverage' says nothing. Also, I don't get what Gyro Ball is even supposed to hit at all; Cryogonal is like the only notable target but Avalugg can get the upper hand with boosted Avalanche anyway. Remove Gyro Ball.

Roar is very important on Avalugg: it lets it phaze out physical threats such as Belly Drum Slurpuff and Swords Dance Feraligatr to stop them from steamrolling the team, as well as stop itself from being setup fodder for things like Shell Smash Gorebyss, SubCM Uxie, SubSD Bouffalant, Bulk Up Gurdurr, and whatnot. This does justify a physically defensive spread though (to handle boosted physical threats better), so you can make a mention of that spread in Set Details and its uses with Roar.

Now I feel this may be a bit situational to be put in the main set, but still mention Crunch in the 'Moves' section since it allows Avalugg to hit Rotom and Mismagius on the switch very hard (which Avalanche does not do since it is not boosted). It allows Avalugg to beat them even if they have Will-O-Wisp, provided they do not have Pain Split.

In Set Details, you don't need to mention that Impish decreases Special Attack since natures that decrease the unwanted attack stat is second nature to almost everything. Also remove Relaxed since Gyro Ball won't be used.

So...how good is this thing at spinning (aka one of its main jobs)? What problems does it normally face while spinning? Are there ways to make it better at spinning? These are questions that should be answered in Usage Tips.

Imo, the only worthwhile (but not necessarily good) options to be placed in OO are Curse and Mirror Coat. Curse turns Avalugg into a bulky booster, whereas Mirror Coat surprises special attackers. Mention that they have little room on the main set though.

C&C section is far too vague. Does Avalugg have trouble dealing with special attackers it isn't weak to, and if so name examples. Stallers is also extremely vague, do you mean to say that Avalugg is vulnerable to damaging status (like burns and Toxic) or something? Would Avalugg handle all physical attackers, and if not make a section for these attackers (merge them as you see fit).

The ordering of the moves shoyuld be as follows:
  1. Rapid Spin
  2. Avalanche
  3. Earthquake / Toxic / Gyro Ball
  4. Recover
Both the tab and set name should both be "Rapid Spin" instead of "Spinning Chunk of Ice" and "Physically Defensive Spinner".
Honestly if you really want to nitpick like this, Recover shouldn't be the last move since it is way more vital than Avalugg's attacking moves. That said, cellgoon's Move order doesn't even match his Set's move order, so he should fix that up as well. Since the set is named physically defensive spinner, Rapid Spin and Recover should be the first two moves, followed by the other attacks.

The Set names don't need to be changed unless QC members say otherwise.

Last edited:
Punchshroom Thanks! I wish I wouldn't change my set names, but you know it's fine I'll change it from Spinning Chunk of Ice to Spinner. Crunch really is a little optional tbh. OO imo since you shouldn't even be in against the two you mentioned.
Pretty sure I hit everything else you mentioned.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Alright, here's some input.

Rapid Spin
########
Name: Rapid Spin (these two names need to match)
ivs: 31 Spe (unnecessary)
nature: Impish Nature / Relaxed Nature (if you're going specially defensive, it really should be careful / sassy)

Overview needs a lot of work, it seems very lacking to me. Mention how it is outclassed as a spinner is most cases due to its abyssmal speed.
"Ice type makes Avalugg have a hard time typing wise" List some types that it is weak to because of its ice typing, such as fire, steel, rock, etc.
Also note that ice + ground attacking coverage makes it pretty hard to switch into.

Alright, here's some input.

Rapid Spin
########
Name: Rapid Spin (these two names need to match)
ivs: 31 Spe (unnecessary)
nature: Impish Nature / Relaxed Nature (if you're going specially defensive, it really should be careful / sassy)

Overview needs a lot of work, it seems very lacking to me. Mention how it is outclassed as a spinner is most cases due to its abyssmal speed.
"Ice type makes Avalugg have a hard time typing wise" List some types that it is weak to because of its ice typing, such as fire, steel, rock, etc.
Also note that ice + ground attacking coverage makes it pretty hard to switch into.
Some of that was forgotten to change, I dunno bout name change .-. Whyyyyyyyy gdi. *sigh* Fine. Happy? :I Crushing my dreams

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Some of that was forgotten to change, I dunno bout name change .-. Whyyyyyyyy gdi. *sigh* Fine. Happy? :I Crushing my dreams
/me feels like an asshole
I really dont mean to be harsh it, I apologize if I came off that way :[
Its just that the formatting and detail for the analyses is very important.

/me feels like an asshole
I really dont mean to be harsh it, I apologize if I came off that way :[
Its just that the formatting and detail for the analyses is very important.
Nah it's fine, I just wanted to put my own touch on the analysis.
Help me people!

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
In Usage Tips, mention the specially defensive spread gives Avalugg better chances at spinning, since it can survive more attacks.

When talking about Roar, mention that Avalugg can use a physically defensive spread to boost its usefulness (which is to phaze physical attacking boosters).

Team Options
========
  • Setup, like Ferroseed helps Avalugg not get outshined by Defoggers
This needs to be phrased as 'Pokemon that can set up hazards', because setup implies things like Klinklang or Lilligant. Perhaps list a more synergistice hazard user like Qwilfish or Garbodor while you're at it.

• Pokemon like Magmortar help alleviate Avalugg's weaknesses to Special Attackers that Avalugg has a weakness to
  • Pokemon that deal with Spinblockers(Ghost types) like Mismagius help Avalugg do his job
Such as....? (Preferably Pursuit users for the spinblockers).

Other Options
########
  • Magic Coat can surprise Special Attackers and potentially kill them
  • Crunch can be used for Rotom-A or Mismagius, but Avalugg shouldn't even be in on these two.
Mirror Coat. Also specify why staying in on the frail Ghosts is discouraged (Will-O-Wisp / Trick). Btw, phrase it as just Rotom; Rotom-A means 'Rotom-Appliance'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)