XYUU Research Week V2 #1 - Won by King UU

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shout-out to Kitten Milk for the excellent suggestion to revive this project!

I've ran Research Week projects since Black and White, and one of the major issues I've noticed is that getting participants has always been a bugger. Today, that problem is hopefully no more! I present to you a fresh take on a classic idea, Research Week V2! Once again, I welcome UU-ers and all those looking for an excellent competitive Pokemon experience! Unlike last time where you chose between a number of Pokemon, you'll now be choosing between a number of Pokemon sets.

Keep the following things in mind during every Research Group:
  • Be open-minded, don't just say something is terrible and walk away; look at its stats and typing and think something up!
  • Feel free to theorymon early in the research period, but make it clear you're doing so. Later in the period though, you will be expected to back up your posts with hard evidence like logs, actual sets, perhaps even teams.
  • Just because an analysis has been done for a Pokemon doesn't mean there isn't more to explore; it's very likely that something has gone unnoticed.
  • Do not post in this thread complaining about the Pokemon or movesets I choose and / or suggesting ones we should do for future weeks. Feel free to VM / PM me these suggestions, but don't expect me to always listen to you..
A few things to clarify:
  • Sign-ups can be as late as you want, but cut-off days will be on Tuesday (also the day that I post a new thread)
  • Early period means the first three days of the Research Week, so let's keep the theorymoning to a minimum after. The late period refers to the last four days of the research week, where raw evidence and discussion should become the basis of the thread.
  • The prizes for Research Week have been decided; winning a Research Week will grant you half-ops on our IRC channel, #xyuu. You'll also earn yourself a Community Contributor nomination point. Collect ten of those, and you will be nominated for a Community Contributor badge!
  • I'm implementing a mandatory discussion in order to be considered as a winner of Research Week. If you do not post one somewhat-coherent post that describes the pokemon that you're using, their roles, and their niche in the metagame, you will be disqualified from winning this week. Please post about your experiences no matter if you think you've got a chance to win or not.
  • Finally, I'd like to implore you to all please remember to post and save your replays. Often, these replays are the most informative sources of information about RW pokemon - you can write a full two paragraphs about the role of a pokemon, but often that can all be summed up with a video and an explanation of it.

This Week's Research Pokemon:

CB Jirachi / CroCie / Bulky Starmie / Delphox

Jirachi @ Choice Band
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
-
-
-
- Trick

Diancie @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 80 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
-
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Any blank spaces in these sets are to be filled with the moves of your choice. Delphox does not have a mandatory set for this week. Tell us about why you chose specific moves and what they were able to accomplish!

How useful are these Pokemon in XYUU? What gives them trouble? What advantages do they have over other Pokemon? How well do they work in the metagame? If you have anything to say about any of these Pokemon, please post about them! It doesn't matter if you've used them or have just faced them in battle, anything is fine (but please, do try them). Just be sure to back up your posts with good competitive reasoning. Remember, discussion is not limited to this topic, you are encouraged to talk about these Pokemon in #xyuu as well!

The Research Group Challenge:

In order to participate you must do the following:
  • Post here with a fresh alt and the name(s) of the Pokemon you will be using.
  • Use at least one of the Pokemon being researched.
  • Post your experiences with the Pokemon you're using, participate in the discussion!
  • Post logs of this Pokemon in action against other teams - don't just tell us, show us!
The first stage of the challenge will be very relaxed so theorymon will be allowed as long as its backed up by good reasoning. During the later stage, discussion will be expected to be backed up by hard evidence, such as teams, actual sets, and logs. The winner of the challenge will be the person who has the highest ladder ranking on the Pokemon Showdown UU ladder on the alt they registered at the time the challenge ends. Winners will also receive a permanent spot in the XYUU Hall of Fame (found in the Resource Thread).

Hi. I Am Going To Win.

Alt: WeekBouff
Mon: Starmie.

Personally, Starmie is really underrated in the current meta and people only really use the offensive sets, which is Kinda Lame. I would add more but I wanna keep this a sekRET :^)

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Mazz - I'm glad we got this revived again =). Hopefully this version works out better and lasts.

alt: CroCie

Pokemon: CroCie

jacob

the obstacle is the only way
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Alt: WetterThenTsunami

pokemon: Starmie, Crocie

im not going to win :/

Thisbemyalt

Shiba sucks
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Mon: Delphox
My alt: Steal This Nerd
This seems like it might be really fun hope it is successful
Delphox @ Choice Specs
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Overheat
- Psyshock
- Flamethrower
- Grass Knot

Cobalion @ Salac Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Substitute
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge

Shaymin @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Earth Power
- Air Slash
- Rest

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- U-turn

Aerodactyl @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Aerial Ace
- Taunt
- Defog

Florges (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Aromatherapy

So this team is meant to protect Phox and really stop his checks and counters. I was using specs already but King UU gave me my current set so credit goes to him on the set. Now my goal was to establish a core that really punishes phox switch ins, the most common of which is hydreigon another equally good counter but less common is houndoom. So I started with cobalion a mon who could quite often switch into hydra and eat up a hit and then proceed to set up. As for Houndoom I decided on mega dactyl as I also needed some nice hazard removal. Florges is here as a back up switch in to either of those mons and it is a great mixed defense wall. Now the last two members were put on the team to deal with some common threats. The first is dreigon, other then being the best scarfer in the tier now he ohkos and outspeeds scarf darm which is very important. Shaymin is only here as a crocune counter, however I should point out that specs phox does over 70% with a specs grass knot. I have been changing this team constantly but this is what I have so far and I do plan on changing shaymin or florges but so far I have no direct needs for other mons.

Now specs phox is just great I will write more on this later but just as a start I will say that delphox can kill blissey if it switches in on psyshock and you have any hazards up. Like I said more will come later.One more thing testing has revealed is that this set does a min of 61% to the standard Florges which means great offensive pressure.

Last edited:

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I will be using:

Alt: Kink Research

Diancie @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
&
Delphox @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Psychic
- Grass Knot
- Blast Burn

Hypothesis: This mixed core will fit in with chestnaught to form a Fire/Grass/Rock Core intermixed with the secondary core typing of Psychic/Fighting/Fairy. The theory is that once I find the appropriate second half of my team, Diancie will be able to function similarly to Suicune and late-game cro-sweep.

Last edited:

Lixx

Banned deucer.
alt: Lixx is bad
mon: Jirachi

I think it'll take a few tries for me to get something to work with my current team. I'll post my spread later

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alt: I Phox Wit It
Pokemon: Delphox

I actually messed with Delphox a few nights ago outta desperation because I was low on ideas and motive, but more importantly I noticed the LO CM set does serious work against a number of defensive cores. Of course it's gonna be stopped short by stuff like Hydreigon, Houndoom, and such but I def think it's worth a look-see...I hate how its Speed falls short of Mienshao, though :l

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
Not a fan of Choice Specs when 114 SpA is pretty underwhelming. Personally, I'm liking Lefties CM as a nice decently fast wallbreaker/win condition, and I finally found a good team to go with it.

Alt: Swiperr

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This post will serve as my analysis post. I will post all relevant replays & analyses here.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Delphox @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Psychic
- Grass Knot
- Overheat

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 136 Atk / 40 Def / 80 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Roar

Diancie @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 68 SpA / 48 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dragon Pulse
- Heal Bell
- Volt Switch

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 232 HP / 100 Atk / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost
- Defog

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Foul Play
- Baton Pass
- Wish
- Protect

Brief Intro Analysis: Team is comprised mainly of a Swampert/Umbreon/Crobat core that I used very often in my Gen 6 volt-turn. I even managed to slap a mega amph. However, I messed around with the evs to better take physical hits, and I ev'ed swampert to ohko most offensive Nidoqueens, since bar umbreon I had no check to queen. This team was good enough to get me to about 1530, however, I started experiencing some trouble in maintaining laddering momentum (2 wins, 1 loss, 2 wins, 1 loss, etc). I realized that if I had any chance of breaking 1600, I needed a change, and stat. Below are most of the good replays from my journey from 1000-1530ish. Under these replays, I will post a more in depth analysis before I talk about Version 2.0 of this team.

Brief Outro Analysis: As you can see, the crocie takes on even the most annoying blissey sets with relative systematic ease. The team ultimately failed because not enough emphasis was put on the "balance" aspect. If you guys hadn't noticed, this was a failed attempt at pseudo volt-turn, which is why I realized I needed a change into a more defensive mindset in order to fully exploit Delphox. The first thing I did when I changed the mons was give Delphox psyshock instead of psychic, for obvious reasons.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-167434009

Delphox @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Psyshock
- Grass Knot
- Overheat

Krookodile @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 120 Atk / 48 Def / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Taunt

Diancie @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast

Forretress @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Volt Switch
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 120 HP / 212 Atk / 176 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost
- Taunt

Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 188 HP / 200 Def / 120 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Protect

Brief Intro Analysis: Quite simply, I kept/added onto the effectiveness of the typing whilst switching the pokemon. Krook takes on the offensive presence of umbreon (foul play) and Swampert (mostly EQ) combined, while having access to taunt and bulk up+intimidate for added overall utility+wallbreaking. Vaporeon retains the Swampertian access to scald + umbreons wish/passing capabilities. The evs are for specific threats like hydreigon, and it avoids all banded ohkos from neutral hits, though they're still highly experimental. Forry gives me the opportunity to run a more offensive and taunt-based crobat, which really helps for blissey+wish situations. Also, having the opportunity to u-turn into a wall-breaking krook is really helpful with the dual taunt situations. And even though Ampharos's strong special wallbreaking+volt-switching momentum was a benefit, Forry retains a similar role with more utility; I already have a powerful blaze overheat wallbreaker to take advantage of ;)

Brief Outro Analysis: Vapereon on Vaporeon standoffs are the bane of this team's existence. Suicune is a big threat as well. I usually had to rely on people underestimating crocie or overheat specs, which scared me a little. However, the defensive capabilities of this newfound core gave my team the boost it needed. Also, to point out, this custom taunt bulk up Krook set is something unreal, in relation to the cohesion of this team; the utility and versatility of this set takes takes it to a whole new level of diverse.

Current up-to-date elo: 1672
Peak: 1700
Team Star: Krookodile

Last edited:
Just making sure everyone's aware that Delphox has access to Switcheroo, which is an especially viable option for all these specs sets that aren't being paired with Knock Off users (the only downside to Switcheroo compared to Trick is that it fails against itemless 'mons)

Wish I could join in on this but I already have midterms this week /:

Just making sure everyone's aware that Delphox has access to Switcheroo, which is an especially viable option for all these specs sets that aren't being paired with Knock Off users (the only downside to Switcheroo compared to Trick is that it fails against itemless 'mons)

Wish I could join in on this but I already have midterms this week /:
Switcheroo's less effective in UU simply because of the sheer number of mega Evolutions running around in the tier (which results in an auto Switcheroo fail).

this sounds pretty damn cool.

alt: Truthahn

Pokemon: Delphox

Going to be posting replays as I go on this post. Will be saving every replay on the ladder.

I just stopped at ladder cuz mad at shit teams.

My biggest weakness were BU Scrafty Shed Skin (rofl who uses this nowadays smh), Kroko CB, overall fight types since I'm using Nidoqueen defensive as main answer but is easy walled so eventually wears down, Blissey can lure them with Thunder Wave, Starmie is backup and my counter along with Nidoqueen to Infernape.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-167212227

A bit late, but in as RW1 Lights.
Using my favorite mon since forever: Starmie.

Alright, first notes: I'm using Starm on a spikes offense team, and I feel like this is the only team archetype so far where it's not horribly outclassed by either Tentacruel or Stoise. As far as the open moveslot goes, I had been using bulky Starm before mostly with either Ice Beam or Psyshock as coverage, however, it never felt like those moves ever came out as really convenient. My main problem with Starm has always been that in between Recovering up and clicking Rapid Spin, it gives away a lot of room to the opponent to make a threatening switch. Therefore, especially on the team I'm using it on, I've found great utility in just running Toxic, pressuring clerics or decreasing longevity of offensive switchins, as well as catching a lot of opposing players off guard.

A (low ladder) replay in which Starm does some good work:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-167733592

Last edited:

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well I've played 33 games (26-7) thus far on my alt, and only have 1 replay to show for it because 90% of my games were at that low ladder level, with the bad teams and the weird mons/sets/plays.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-167772976

This replay was actually a pretty good game, against a decent player/team, and I think it's one of the better examples showcasing exactly how Delphox can really dismantle a team's core. Given his defensive core was SUPER weak to it and his offensive core all had a way to immediately kill Delphox, it was a challenge of getting it in and choosing the optimal move each time to make every play with it count.

Overall though, using Delphox extensively has convinced me it's got some viability in this tier. I'd have to get back to you on where I'd rank it but Life Orb Calm Mind has the potential of breaking up so many cores in UU, almost akin exactly to how it functions in RU. The difference in this tier being it has a whole lot more offensive checks lurking around the corner in Hydreigon, Mienshao, Mega Aeroactyl, Toxicroak, Lucario, Mega Absol, Entei, etc. Given this dilemma I figured the team I'd use would be a pretty simple concept: Utilize Offensive VoltTurn support to get Delphox in as the opponent makes a switch to a defensive Pokemon, giving it a free turn to go for a hard-hitting attack or set up.

Extremely Lengthy Team Description/Process:
Original build of this team was Delphox, Porygon2, Crobat, Hydreigon, Cobalion, and Suicune, with Crobat, Hydreigon, and Cobalion forming this "offensive VoltTurn" core. I slapped on P2 because it was able to check stuff like Hydreigon while maintaining the offensive presence you wouldn't get from say...Blissey, but having the bulk and recovery to keep going, unlike Snorlax. Suicune was my physical wall because I seriously needed something to cover Scarf Shao/Darm for me. At the time I was using Life Orb Hydreigon with U-turn and Roost (Superpower/Iron Tail wasn't important to me considering I was using Delphox to break through Blissey/Florges, and the momentum was more important for this concept). I also figured Suicune would benefit from Delphox's presence because it was able to remove the special walls that slowed its progress while still threatening things like Roserade, Toxicroak, Shaymin, etc. that would deny it any chance of sweeping.

In time I noticed I still was losing too many games to Life Orb Mienshao (Scarf in some cases) and Scarf Darmanitan and that Suicune wasn't really putting in much work, as a physical wall, or as a bulky sweeper. (Not knocking Crocune in general, it's still good, my team just wasn't where it was going to shine) So I had to change the team around. Before, I was using Stealth Rock + Volt Switch on Cobalion, but I figured I could use Cobalion "differently" and give Stealth Rock to something else, but I wasn't sure yet. So I scrapped Porygon2 and Suicune, opting for Vaporeon (Phys. Def with a little SpD investment) and SpD Hippowdon (go suck one, Ampharos), giving Stealth Rock to Hippowdon. I also changed Hydreigon to straight-up Choice Scarf, because the proneness to Darmanitan was still somewhat-evident. So I figured "Gee, Cobalion has 3 moves now. I can't make it a sweeper because I still run Volt Switch" so I decided to do something more rude and slap Toxic on it, because so many of its defensive answers hate that move. :]

And that's how I got my team. It's pretty generic minus the Delphox (and to some extent Toxic Cobalion) but it's pretty fun, to use. I don't think it's "perfect" and I should really have done more games and gotten some more replays before blowing my load with the whole team description/analysis but it's just Research Week lol. If I want to feel like topping the ladder I'll do that on my own time (I won't ever, btw). If I get more cool replays I guess I'll edit them into the bottom of this post.

tl;dr: Delphox is gud

Edit: I got a few good Replays.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-168601577

This one's from a tourney battle against my big homie DMT, one of the co-owners of the UU Room on PS. His team's actually horrifying and I never really thought about Cacturne being a huge threat, but after an SD it actually crumbles 2/3 of my team. Not only that but his team is extremely Delphox-unfriendly given he's got 2 mons that can switch into Psyshock, one of them able to kill it with Sucker Punch, and another mon that can switch into Flash Fire and not only threaten Delphox itself but the rest of my team as well after. He kinda messed up a bit, I think he just mentally gave up somewhere along the line but it was still a great match and shows that it's still possible to overcome bad matchups with the team. Not to mention Delphox still put in some work. GG brah :]

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-168606338

The Finals from theAnother instance of a team with a defensive core super prone to Delphox, but an offensive core that is capable of tearing it to pieces, thus relying on the team's ability to generate momentum and check threats to aim towards the goal. It got a bit harder once Vaporeon went down considering his Scarf Hydreigon was healthy, and my Cobalion took an L. Of course Delphox didn't achieve much this game other than one kill on a really bad play (Idk why he sent Forry into it) but I like to think that it hints at how Delphox manages to last a lot longer when backed by a team capable of effectively supporting it. Even when the opponent's using stuff that goes in on it for free, such as Hydreigon, they still will end up taking a hard hit before Delphox goes out to something else, so its presence isn't exactly wasted entirely.

Of course Delphox will always struggle when compared to mons like Chandelure and Houndoom, but being a specially based Fire-type that can break every special wall in the tier after a single boost (Umbreon might need 2) and still be able to get past stuff like SpD Hippowdon and Snorlax all in one isn't any small feat, and I'm glad I got to get behind its potential AND make a half-decent team out of it.

Last edited:

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Reached 1411: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-168216364

This was one of the better quality games I've had so far, with Delphox playing a very significant role in breaking down Blissey at the end. A +2 Psyshock dealt ~80 to it which is pretty beastly. There was also a game in which it cleanly KOed a Vappy with a +1 Psyshock with a little prior damage, another indication of how much power it packs. It's definitely proved its worth to me so far as a very viable bulky booster in the tier. I run a CM + Lefties version with enough speed for base 100's and the rest put into HP for bulk. Its coverage is excellent and if Mega Blastoise or Cune switch in on a CM they are easily beaten by Grass Knot. There really is a lot to like about it, decent typing and bulk, great speed tier, and pretty underestimated special attack. It has definitely got me convinced that it has a place in this tier.

I decided to use bulky Starmie alongside it to keep hazards off the field which Delphox really appreciates. It has proved to be a great spinner, and has much better staying power than the more popular Mega Blastoise with Recover and Leftovers. Its typing and bulk makes it an excellent check to a myriad of threats like Entei, Infernape, Lucario, Mienshao, Nidoking, really pretty much any Ground, Fire or Fighting type. And thanks to Recover it can switch into these threats throughout the game. Natural Cure also gives it another edge over Toise, as it doesn't fear any of the Scald burns or Toxics that significantly cut short its fellow spinner's lifespan. It's also one of the only true counters to Mix/NP Infernape in the tier, only really fearing U-turn which non-Choiced versions almost never carry.

The clear problem with running both of these together was the Dark-type weakness, making them extremely susceptible to all the Knock Offs flying around. The rise in popularity of Krook has also proved to be a problem, mainly the Scarf versions. So I built the rest of the team with these factors in mind. Mega Aero was added as a decent Knock Off absorber, also being able to lure in Band/defensive Krooks and defeat them with Aqua Tail. Cobalion slotted in as my SR user and an excellent Dark resist, as a bonus gaining a free boost with Justified. At this point I suspected bulky Waters would prove to be a problem with Delphox not being able to set up directly on them, and I also badly needed an Electric resist. I slapped on a Specs Rotom-C more for lols than anything, but it's been devastatingly effective so far. With Whimsicott and this guy I've really been having fun with Specs Grass types lately :P Lastly Hydreigon was added as a revenge killer and as an important check to Chandelure who would otherwise have its way with the team.

I usually don't reveal Delphox till late-game when its counters/checks have been weakened and I can boost up and sweep. Sometimes there are whole teams that are weak to it and I have swept with it from the start but that will probably happen less and less as I climb the ladder. But the team itself has worked really well and with VoltTurn support from Hydreigon, Rotom-C and Cobalion I have plenty of opportunities to get Delphox in safely and attempt to set up. As CoolStoryBrobat said above offensive VoltTurn is a really effective concept when using Pokemon like Delphox who need to be kept at a consistently high health in order to perform their role.

Here are a few more replays:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-168114951 - Delphox's role was limited in this game, but it did KO both Arcanine and Blastoise and weaken Raikou to the point where it couldn't do much late-game.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-168110481 - KOed Krook and weakened Florges, but unfortunately revealed one of Delphox's downsides: its low physical bulk. OHKOed by a CB Crobat's Brave Bird at full health.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-168099361 - Took out an Umbreon at +2, easily 2HKOing it.

Last edited:
Reached 1411: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-168216364

This was one of the better quality games I've had so far, with Delphox playing a very significant role in breaking down Blissey at the end. A +2 Psyshock dealt ~80 to it which is pretty beastly. There was also a game in which it cleanly KOed a Vappy with a +1 Psyshock with a little prior damage, another indication of how much power it packs. It's definitely proved its worth to me so far as a very viable bulky booster in the tier. I run a CM + Lefties version with enough speed for base 100's and the rest put into HP for bulk. Its coverage is excellent and if Mega Blastoise or Cune switch in on a CM they are easily beaten by Grass Knot. There really is a lot to like about it, decent typing and bulk, great speed tier, and pretty underestimated special attack. It has definitely got me convinced that it has a place in this tier.

I decided to use bulky Starmie alongside it to keep hazards off the field which Delphox really appreciates. It has proved to be a great spinner, and has much better staying power than the more popular Mega Blastoise with Recover and Leftovers. Its typing and bulk makes it an excellent check to a myriad of threats like Entei, Infernape, Lucario, Mienshao, Nidoking, really pretty much any Ground, Fire or Fighting type. And thanks to Recover it can switch into these threats throughout the game. Natural Cure also gives it another edge over Toise, as it doesn't fear any of the Scald burns or Toxics that significantly cut short its fellow spinner's lifespan. It's also one of the only true counters to Mix/NP Infernape in the tier, only really fearing U-turn which non-Choiced versions almost never carry.

The clear problem with running both of these together was the Dark-type weakness, making them extremely susceptible to all the Knock Offs flying around. The rise in popularity of Krook has also proved to be a problem, mainly the Scarf versions. So I built the rest of the team with these factors in mind. Mega Aero was added as a decent Knock Off absorber, also being able to lure in Band/defensive Krooks and defeat them with Aqua Tail. Cobalion slotted in as my SR user and an excellent Dark resist, as a bonus gaining a free boost with Justified. At this point I suspected bulky Waters would prove to be a problem with Delphox not being able to set up directly on them, and I also badly needed an Electric resist. I slapped on a Specs Rotom-C more for lols than anything, but it's been devastatingly effective so far. With Whimsicott and this guy I've really been having fun with Specs Grass types lately :P Lastly Hydreigon was added as a revenge killer and as an important check to Chandelure who would otherwise have its way with the team.

I usually don't reveal Delphox till late-game when its counters/checks have been weakened and I can boost up and sweep. Sometimes there are whole teams that are weak to it and I have swept with it from the start but that will probably happen less and less as I climb the ladder. But the team itself has worked really well and with VoltTurn support from Hydreigon, Rotom-C and Cobalion I have plenty of opportunities to get Delphox in safely and attempt to set up. As CoolStoryBrobat said above offensive VoltTurn is a really effective concept when using Pokemon like Delphox who need to be kept at a consistently high health in order to perform their role.

Here are a few more replays:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-168114951 - Delphox's role was limited in this game, but it did KO both Arcanine and Blastoise and weaken Raikou to the point where it couldn't do much late-game.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-168114951 - KOed Krook and weakened Florges, but unfortunately revealed one of Delphox's downsides: its low physical bulk. OHKOed by a CB Crobat's Brave Bird at full health.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-168114951 - Took out an Umbreon at +2, easily 2HKOing it.
You've got the same replay for all three games.

Just a reminder that this week will be ending tomorrow. I'll be checking the ladder sometime around noon (2pm EST) tomorrow to see who's alt is the highest. If you've ever needed a reason to maintain a high peak, that might just be it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)