CAP 19 CAP 19 - Name Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of WIPs:

Watteranta

Watt+Water+Manta. Watt refers to the unit for measuring power output, in reference to the electric typing. Water refers to the ray design of CAP 19, which is also where Manta comes from.

Devilamps

Devil Ray+Amps (Devil Anse). Devil Ray comes from a nickname for the Manta Ray. The Ampere is the unit for measuring electrical current. The name is also intended to be similar sounding to Devil Anse, a figure from the bloody Hatfield-McCoy feud (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil_Anse_Hatfield). It also unintentionally has "lamps" in the name.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
WIP

Malwaray

Combination of Malware (A dangerous computer program often used for hacking purposes) and Mantaray (The animal CAP19 is based of)

or

WIP

Mantaware

(Same concept)

Could you guys tell me which you prefer? Personally atm I'm preferring the second option since the first sounds a lot like Malaconda, but I want to know what you guys think

Disqualified: Final Submission

Miasmanta

Miasma: Noxious exhalations from organic matter. Manta: Manta Ray

Pronounced mee-az-MAN-tuh

Last edited by a moderator:
Raijindae

"Raijin" (Japanese god of thunder) + "Rajidae" (family that Skates belong to)

ray-jin-day/why-jin-day

EDIT: Alternatively,

Karmantle/Karmanta

"Karma" (tl;dr consequences) + "Mantle" (loose outer garment)/"Manta" (as in Manta Ray)

kar-man-tul/kar-man-tuh

Can't really decide which of the latter I like better, or if I should stick with Raijindae lol.

Last edited:
WIP

Manatula

Manatee + Papunya Tula

This pokemon's oblong snout and wide girth resemble a manatee when viewed from the front. It's yellow markings are also strikingly similar to Aboriginal dot art, Papunya Tula.

Pronounced: ma-na-too-la

Disqualified: Final Submission

Archailys

A combination of "Archaic" + "Paralysis".

Archaic is something that causes death, usually poison. Paralysis is self explanatory.

Pronounced: "AR-KAY-LYS"

Last edited by a moderator:

QueenOfLuvdiscs

Tier 3 Audino sub
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Seraytoxin
Pronounced: Seh-ray-tocks-in

Name originates from Serotonin, Ray and Toxin

• Serotonin is the molecule in which the victim of a stingray's sting feels pain by the way it reacts with the muscles and causes contractions as well as the chemical being extremely toxic at high concentrations.
  • Ray because, well, pretty straight forward imo
  • Toxin to emphasise that it is a Poison-type as well, and not just Electric

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
WIP (#2)

Viromanta

A corruption of the word Environmental. Conveniently also contains viro, from the Latin virus and obviously manta as well.

Even though I'm not going to be posting a name (I have less creativity than a rock), I'm still going to say a few of my thoughts about the names.

Generally, try not to use "manta" as a suffix. It's a "manta ray" and using the first part of the word in the creature's real name looks and sounds really weird to me. (Plasmanta is an exception because "plasma" flows very well into "manta") Same goes for using "ray" as a prefix, though nobody has done this yet afaik.

Also, if you're going to make references to anything (lore, science, etc.), make sure it's fairly obvious, as in, a child playing Pokemon would be able to make some connection without thinking too hard. We're trying to make this thing seem like as much like an actual Pokemon as possible.

Finally, DON'T take a generic "electric" word and pair it with a generic "poison" word. We should be at least trying to come up with name based on the design lol. This is one of my biggest pet peeves for name submissions in general; there are always several people who basically take synonyms for each type and combine them. It's a super lazy shortcut and doesn't even make sense based on the design much of the time.

Even though I'm not going to be posting a name (I have less creativity than a rock), I'm still going to say a few of my thoughts about the names.

Also, if you're going to make references to anything (lore, science, etc.), make sure it's fairly obvious, as in, a child playing Pokemon would be able to make some connection without thinking too hard. We're trying to make this thing seem like as much like an actual Pokemon as possible.
Cuz kids in general know what Raichu's name is derived from, or what Amoonguss is a reference to, or what the Deino family's names are based on.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

Generally, try not to use "manta" as a suffix. It's a "manta ray" and using the first part of the word in the creature's real name looks and sounds really weird to me. (Plasmanta is an exception because "plasma" flows very well into "manta") Same goes for using "ray" as a prefix, though nobody has done this yet afaik.

Finally, DON'T take a generic "electric" word and pair it with a generic "poison" word. We should be at least trying to come up with name based on the design lol. This is one of my biggest pet peeves for name submissions in general; there are always several people who basically take synonyms for each type and combine them. It's a super lazy shortcut and doesn't even make sense based on the design much of the time.
I think as long as the name is simple to say (and obviously fits within themes of the Pokemon) I don't think there would be too much trouble.

And personally I've been voting for names that have been combining words which relate it to being a "manta ray", "electric", and "poison" with a few exceptions. But that's just personal tastes.

Surely it's got to be

Mantasma

Manta+plasma(electrified state of matter) as well as miasma(toxic cloud)

I also like the link to phantasm as well, which represents the almost spectral way this mon glides through the ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)