Creative and innovative sets :) no shitty gimmicks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
unlike ^, not a shitty gimmick,

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance / Earthquake
- Knock Off

while i haven't personally gotten to test this out much i've seen it in action and it's pretty fucking cool. the basic premise is that skarm always runs shed shell atm, and thus it's hard to pin down. but knock off on pinsir removes that shed shell and leaves mag pretty much free to fuck up skarm all it wants. it's not like you miss cc that much anyways, tran and tar being the main things but you can still opt for eq if you think those are problems as well as the 1v1 vs bisharp if you don't have sd (cc + knock is illegal). pretty cool twist for the standard pinsir mag sort of offense builds that pretty much ensures skarm won't rain on your parade.

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
unlike ^, not a shitty gimmick,

Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- Quick Attack
- Swords Dance / Earthquake
- Knock Off

while i haven't personally gotten to test this out much i've seen it in action and it's pretty fucking cool. the basic premise is that skarm always runs shed shell atm, and thus it's hard to pin down. but knock off on pinsir removes that shed shell and leaves mag pretty much free to fuck up skarm all it wants. it's not like you miss cc that much anyways, tran and tar being the main things but you can still opt for eq if you think those are problems as well as the 1v1 vs bisharp if you don't have sd (cc + knock is illegal). pretty cool twist for the standard pinsir mag sort of offense builds that pretty much ensures skarm won't rain on your parade.
Its worth mentioning that knock off also cripples/heavily damages doublade, which is often a secondary check in stall teams. This way, Pinsir is more or less just destroying all its own checks in the typical stall team nowadays; Skarm+Doublade is found on a lot of stall that i see (even my own :I )

This is not really a "new moveset or something" but a revisited spread from one of my friends, thought for the current meta, Ladies and Gentlemens's I'd like to introduce you RJZard!!

Charizard (M) @ Charizardite X
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 96 HP / 220 Atk / 8 SDef / 184 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Dragon Claw

Now, as we know scarf landorus-therian saw a rise in usage in this last days, many people use it also as a check to mega charizard x, thanks to stone edge/earthquake, this set aims to beat the crap out of it while still keeping great bulk and good power.
I'll start by saying that the hp evs allows charizardX to have only a 9,8% chance to get 2hked by rotom-wash hydro pumps, and, since hydro pump has half of roost power points you can easily roost of damage against him.
the hp evs (and the extra 8 sdef, in order to make zard hp uneven) also gives charizard the bulk to withstand choice scarf keldeo hydro pump after rocks, since we saw a rise in choice scarf keldeo, I believe this is also another important point.
Moving on, the speed allows you to outspeed jolly 252 scarf landorus therian after a dragon dance and ohko him at +1
220 Atk Tough Claws Mega Charizard X Flare Blitz vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Landorus-T: 280-330 (87.5 - 103.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
The given atk evs also allows charizard to ohko 100% of the time choice specs/scarf keldeo at +1, if he entered the field two times with stealth rocks on it.
Not only that, with this ev spread charizard can 2hko azumarill with a +1 flare blitz, and cannot be 2hked by a combination of play rough+aqua jet.
A great teammate for it can be Rocky Helmet Ferrothorn, I'll get to why this "unusual" item later (especially now that magnezone is on the loose).
Ferrothorn covers charizard's weakness like rock and dragon, while charizard can find an easier set up opportunity on fire moves directed at ferrothorn, or fight too if he still didn't megaevolved, ferro can also set up stealth rocks for zard, which are necessary for it.
Rocky Helmet is pretty much required because a combination of rocky helmet+ iron barbs+stealth rocks brings 252 hp azumarill to +1 flare blitz ohko range, at that point ferrothorn job is pretty much over, and can also be wasted to hp fire magnezone in order to give charizard an easy set up.
Keldeo is another great partner, especially paired with sandstorm up, since it can give the illusion that you are using mega zard y, and not x, while keldeo can weaken azumarill in order to bring it to flare blitz ohko range, excadrill has the fastest rapid spin in the game and can also help keeping up pressure.
Another partner is memento+defog latios, he can clear the field for you and with memento gives charizard an easy set up opportunity, latias falls along the same boat, but has healing wish, in order to easily recover charizard's hp.
Volturn from landorus-therian (who can also set up rocks), raikou (which is also an okay-ish birdspam check and also has no problem switching on thundurus' thunder wave if it gets down to it with charizard) rotom-wash allows charizard an easier entry, and as such if timed right an easier set up.
Earthquake is another acceptable move, if you have with you another sweeper troubled by scarfheatran's presence, majority of bulky zard also do not have enough speed to surpass him, so it's also an unexpected threat for them.
Have fun.

Last edited:

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
^ is ridiculously good. Anyways, I have a set.

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Atk / 152 SpD / 80 Spe
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz

At first this looks like your basic DD set, but a closer look reveals an EV spread that completely changes how this functions. My thought process for this was actually seeing someone use DD Wisp. The idea behind DD Wisp is creating a combination of the SDef Wisp set and DD set that aims to fill both roles to some extent. Unfortunately, it really doesn't work out that well in practice, as it has pretty bad coverage including being cockblocked by Fairies, and doesn't have any of the coverage to hit different mons that makes Wisp a threat. There's also the fact that while it really can do whatever it wants in the face of a +1 Suicune or +1 Clefable (unevolved), SDef Wisp has no ability to take advantage of this. Just running a simple SDef spread on DD allows it to retain the defensive capabilities of SDef, sans Wisp, but plus sweeping capability, and this is huge. This Zard takes all kinds of hits. It tanks Electrics, it tanks Greninja easily and sets up, it tanks a hit from any Keldeo no problem, it tanks Greninja/Gar no problems, it eats up boosted CroCune, it sets up on Latios unevolved from full health...this added bulk is so useful. What's more is, the kind of bulkier/defensive teams this set is meant for give you a perfect opportunity to bluff Wisp and set up to win, which has happened for me multiple times in the past. It's not as weak as you would think, still strong has hell with Tough Claws-boosted 130 Attack. This set is a bulky, ferocious win condition for more defensive teams.

Jukain I almost got swept by the set. It was used by Doughboy and holy crap, only reason I won was because Clefable critted with Moonblast or it wouldve been a finished game. Very nice set. Guys, try it out. Also:

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 16 Def / 240 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fire], No Psyshock. Why? :(
- Defog / Roost

Obviously, the last slot is based on your team, but yea, that's not the point. You are already forcing out Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss, and Mega Charizard Y, so Psyshock doesn't have much point. Plus, Draco Meteor hits all those targets for a 2HKO iirc, so it doesn't really matter. However, two lure moves in one set makes Latios even more threatening. Ferrothorn + Heatran core is so common on balance teams, it is ridiculous. I can Hidden Power [Fire] and KO Ferrothorn with some prior damage. Then Heatran come in only to realize I'm using another lure move in the same set and has like 9% HP left. Draco Meteor + Earthquake was already an amazing way to get rid of Specially Defensive Heatran regardless. You just mix Hidden Power [Fire] in that mix and Latios is taking atleast 2-3 PKMN out from the game, but that's not the reason I run it. This set is the ultimate BirdSPAM partner. You get rid of Heatran and annoying recoil with Ferrothorn shenanigans. You just weaken all the other BirdSPAM checks like Rotom-W and Scarf Magnezone (Skarmory is non-existent in the higher ladder plus it get crapped on by and unexpected Hidden Power [Fire]), for Talonflame to clean up. Plus, it is not that hard to weaken Magnezone and Rotom-W and Skarmory and Thundurus (this is crappy BirdSPAM check, it is balls) and Zapdos with Staraptor and the addition of Mega Pinsir. This is a legit set and has even more uses for Mega Charizard X. It is legit because with Heatran and Ferrothorn gone, Mega Charizard X won't be walled or take 50% damage for killing Ferrothorn! lgt set use it. You get walled by Chansey anyways, so Psyshock is not that useful imo (only does 37%). You need Choice Specs to beat Chansey and if you want a complete stall demolisher please just use Crawdaunt, Mega Heracross, or lol Hydreigon.

E: I know Myzozoa used it in SPL except Thunderbolt > HP Fire which is useful for Azumarill. also forgot to say Psyshock has use for Azumarill, but there are better ways of removing it.

Last edited:

Srn

Water (Spirytus - 96%)
is an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
OUPL Champion
Well I don't think I've ever posted an actual set in this thread, so I guess I might as well throw a set that I've been having mad success with. Idk who "invented" it (certiainly wasn't me) but ty for making me think about it cuz i fukin love it.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bug Bite
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower

So you're probably looking at your screen saying "wtf? A mzor without roost? Are you high?" Don't worry that's exactly (and i mean exactly) what I said when I found my boy sugarhigh (or Tesung? i don't remember) using this set as I was watching/battling them (I don't remember :[ )
But basically, I guess the logic behind this set is that bulky SD zor does not work well because magnezone fucks it up the ass very easily. This dissappointed me cuz mzor was pretty darn solid back in the day and now it sucks. So I guess that this hypothetical mzor lover decided to just fuck roost and fuck magnezone and just go all out offensive mega. Btw, adamant mzor hits 249 and timid zone hits 240, so if its a specs or balloon set, mzor at +2 wins (and timid scarf zone hp fire actually only has 56.3% chance to kill with hp fire from full health).

There are a few advantages to getting rid of roost on mzor. While it is still quite damn bulky uninvested, instead of focusing on its fantastic 70/140/100 defenses, the focus seriously shifts to the quite overlooked 150 base attack. What this gives you is the ability to surprise your usual checks with your great power. In this way, it fits into offensive teams seriously well, providing some backbone and priority while also "luring" in certain mons.
Which mons, you ask?
Well as I already said, some of the most solid counters to the bulky SD mzor set are totally decimated by the offensive one after a boost. The most notable ones are Rotom-w and bulky wisp zard-x, after rocks.

+2 252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bug Bite vs. 252 HP / 212+ Def Rotom-W: 255-300 (83.8 - 98.6%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Mega Scizor Superpower vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard X: 292-344 (81.3 - 95.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

not only do you outspeed both of these mons that usually hard counter the bulky set, but you also OHKO them with the right move after rocks, and in rotom-w's case, just 4% prior damage. (remember, this rotom-w is defensive) It ultimately destroys its usual counters and is far from a gimmick while doing so. (just like the OP asked :D ) This is huge; a lot of stall teams only have bulky wisp x for mzor, a +2 bug bite can almost 2hko alomo so w/out a scald burn that pretty much loses. There are also a few mons that with the right move can check the bulky mzor set but really lose to the offensive one as well:

+2 252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latios: 288-340 (95.3 - 112.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus: 261-307 (81.8 - 96.2%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
+2 252+ Atk Technician Mega Scizor Bug Bite vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 300-354 (83.5 - 98.6%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

three more common ho mons that can check bulky sd mzor pretty well (hp fire lati/mvenu) just get absolutely decimated by the offensive one.
Don't forget that you're still messing with 70/140/100 bulk, even uninvested its seriously bulky. Bulky enough to beat that azu+crawdaunt core that's getting popular pretty singlehandedly.
So basically this set is how mzor has adapted to the post-aegi meta and shows that it's just as scary as it was in the aegi-meta.

Last edited:

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
A couple of sets I've been using recently :

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Knock Off

I was using MVenu as glue on an offensive team with a Magnezone on it, and although I won't drop HP Fire usually, here I didn't really need it since all its targets got trapped by Zone. So I thought of what to run in the last slot. Leech Seed made no sense on offense, Sleep Power was an option but tbh MVenu would usually just hit its switchins instead of put the to sleep usually (and that accuracy gets annoying at times), and EQ wasn't really necessary since I wan't really Heatran weak. So I decided to run Knock off, and it's been working really well. Smacks and unsuspecting Latis and Gengars and removes their Life Orbs, also cripples Lando-I and, to a lesser extent Kyu-B switchins, lets you do something to Heatran (you can even beat it 1v1 but I highly advise against stayng in b/c you'll end up burnt and out of Synthesis PP even if you do win) trolls Chansey who thinks it can stall me to death, and also removes the Shed Shells of Skarms who are stupid enough to stay in and defog/roost/taunt/set rocks up which lets Zone trap it later. It also knocks random Assault Vests off stuff like Goodra and TTar and, if you are playing on the ladder, Espeon and Heatran. I wouldn't recommend this on any team w/o Magnezone, since you don't really want to be setup fodder for MScizor, but if you do run a Mag then it's a very legitimate option, especially if you're Lati/Gengar weak. The only problem is that you have to run -Speed, which means you get outsped by BD Azumarill (I actually lost to this once even though no one in their right mind would BD with Azu when facing an MVenu unless it's like, Jolly Return, but hey, ladder is ladder), Crawdaunt and Suicune which can be a problems, but overral the loss in Speed is a pretty minor detail and rarely ever matters.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Def / 220 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hydro Pump
- Pain Split

220 speed may seem like way too much on Rotom-W, but there are a few advantages of running such a fast spread. The main one is being able to outspeed Offensive MScizor and hitting it with WoW before taking a +2 Bug Bite to the face. It's also able to outspeed and Wisp Bisharps (even jolly), Phys Def Lando-Ts that creep Bisharp, Breloom, Adamant Diggersby, Gyarados before a Dragon Dance, Adamant MHera, and Modest MGarde and Adamant MMedis pre-mega. The loss of bulk is noticeable however, (for instance, MPinsir can OHKO at +2 after Rocks with CC) so I'd only run this set is you're weak to the aforementioned threats, or if this is your only answer to MScizor and don't want to get smashed by the fast set (168 Speed is just enough for that, 220 is just for jolly base 70s, so running a slightly slower spread may be more beneficial).

Last edited:

Jukain

!_!
i agree, TRC there is a difference between 'made' and 'popularized'

anyways, i like running jolly on that set. you outspeed most mews that aren't running very high amounts of speed (which compromises its ability to handle things like latios and landorus-i), dumb creeping trans unless they're ev'd to outrun mega heracross which is very rare, most wisp zard, jolly sd bisharp (which is becoming more and more common), gyarados mega, and adamant diggersby. also before you evolve you outspeed jolly crawdaunt so you can come in and actually check it effectively without getting popped by a crabhammer. there's a certain decrease in power but outspeeding these things, at least depending on the team, can prove extremely useful, especially in the case of mew which is just a pain in the ass.

there's also this one thing i tried on a different team which is u-turn > bug bite. i don't know if it's just me, but seeing u-turn on mega scizor always makes it a worry because sending in my counter means that i'm most likely forfeiting momentum. i'm sure many people will think running u-turn on sd is silly, but it can be really helpful. most people will switch in things like zards and keldeo without a doubt in their mind, even zard x into stealth rock. u-turn lets you punish this and keep up your offensive momentum, and for teams with multiple fast, frail pokemon (the team i tried this on) can really help in getting them in safely. i think it's far from the best overall option, which is bug bite, but it can work pretty well.

Albacore, i disagree that you need to run a -speed nature on knock off mega venusaur. you still hit everything you need to just fine with a modest nature, and the few speed evs to outspeed things like suicune, bd azumarill, and adamant crawdaunt are very important.

CrashinBoomBang

außerirdisch, anunnaki
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a defending SPL Champion
I mean it's pretty hard to "make" a set that's pretty much just a regular Pokemons set slapped onto its Mega Evolution (not like you see people taking credit for DD Mega Gyarados or stuff like that), but yeah Dekzeh was the first person I saw with that set and the first one who tried to make people jump onto the bandwagon (sorry for not really buying it until now bud!!) which was in like January or something lol. Granted, it had Knock Off over Bug Bite but that's really not a long shot. If you feel like crediting the person who "made" the set, he's the only one I've seen it use for like 5 months and he tried to make it more common a fair bit so all credit to him pretty much.

Also Mew with less than 276 Speed is really silly but that's just me I guess.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

Breloom @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Facade
- Superpower
- Seed Bomb

Really cool wallbreaker that lures and eliminates every single bulky Grass-type, namely Mega Venusaur, Amoonguss, Celebi (especially SpD or Psychic-less), and Chesnaught. This set also lets Breloom check or counter many dangerous stallbreakers. For example, Poison Heal also lets it be a cool pivot against Mew, and even though Mew is faster and can prevent you from setting up, Breloom can just weaken it and force it to heal, so that you can bring a teammate in for free. Countering Acrobatic-less Gliscor is also great, as well as Suicune. This set gets a ton of set up chances against many annoying support or defensive Pokemon, such as Ferrothorn, Rotom-W, Taunt-less Gliscor, Chansey, Alomomola, Hippowdon, Starmie, Quagsire, Mandibuzz, and Suicune, making it a great weapon on any team that has troubles against stall and the aforementioned stallbreakers, as well as good bulky Grass-type lure. Here are some notable calcs:
  • +2 252+ Atk Breloom Facade (140 BP) vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 280-330 (77.9 - 91.9%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • +2 252+ Atk Breloom Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Amoonguss: 301-355 (69.6 - 82.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery
  • +2 252+ Atk Breloom Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Celebi: 334-394 (82.6 - 97.5%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • +2 252+ Atk Breloom Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 220+ Def Celebi: 247-291 (61.1 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
  • +2 252+ Atk Breloom Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 209-247 (55 - 65%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (so that you don't drop your stats with Superpower)
  • +2 252+ Atk Breloom Superpower vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 244-288 (73 - 86.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery (with all Skarmory running Shed Shell, this means that with just two SR rounds you can OHKO Skarmory)
  • +2 252+ Atk Breloom Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 160 Def Clefable: 356-419 (90.3 - 106.3%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
Unaware physically defensive Clefable, Cresselia, and Doublade are the best counters that stall can employ to beat this set, with the latter two being Pursuit bait for Bisharp or even Choice Band Tyranitar, and the former being easy to wear down because it either relies on Wish to heal (so fuck it up with phazers, Heatran has great synergy with Breloom anyway) or Moonlight, which is very easy to stall out.

So, great bulky Grass-type lure, utility check to annoying status users and stallbreakers, and cool wallbreaker.

Jukain

!_!
Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Slack Off
- Scald
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play

The major problem I have with standard TWave GK Slowbro is that it doesn't beat Roost DD Zard X all that well. When it comes down to it, Slowbro does not beat it 1v1. For a lot of teams this is no problem, but for some more defensive teams when Slowbro is really the only thing that wants anything to do with Zard X, you have a problem if you can't handle it reliably. The role of Foul Play is to beat this reliably. It still breaks +1 Mega Gyara Subs, and as a plus prevents Kyurem-B from setting up Subs on it as well as punishing Latios even more combined with TWave.

Gengar @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Substitute

If you're not really concerned about Chansey (it's not very common in the current metagame) and are looking for an improved matchup against offensive teams, then Substitute is a very useful option on LO 3 attacks Gengar. Substitute provides a safeguard against Bisharp, giving you a buffer from Sucker Punch. It also makes it more difficult to revenge kill effectively, as revenge killers are forced to take a hit, and Scarftar is a bit neutralized as a threat if you can get a Sub up. Sub + LO might seem like it takes out Gar's health too fast, but I don't really find this to be much of a concern in the scenarios I want to use Sub ie Gengar has few opportunities to do much anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)