Granbull [QC 0/3]

QC:

Overview
########
-Granbull's typing and bulk with access to Intimidate make it a good check to Dark and Fighting types
-Good movepool with good support moves and offensive movepool
-Lack of reliable recovery
-Great Counter to all fighting types in the meta

Cleric
########
name: Cleric
move 1: Heal Bell
move 2: Play Rough
move 3: Thunder Wave
move 4: Earthquake/Fire Punch
ability: Intimidate
item: Leftovers
evs: 248 HP / 8 ATK / 252 DEF
nature: Impish

Moves
========
-Heal Bell to help cure statuses off team
-Play Rough for hard hitting Stab
-Earthquake for incoming Steel types and more coverage or Fire Punch for Ferroseed and pokemon that resist Earthquake
-Thunder Wave to help paralyze fast pokemon or incoming pokemon so you can gain an advantage over opponent

Set Details
========
-248 hp evs for less SR damage and to maximize more hp as Granbull is gonna switch in and out alot to check physical threats
-252 defense evs to build up Granbull's physically defensive prowess
- Leftovers for recovery
-Impish Nature to bolster it's physical defense in order to make it a great physically defensive wall

Usage Tips
========
-Can Switch in to any Fighting type pokemon because of Intimidate and Fairy typing
-Switch out immediately when facing a specially offensive pokemon as Granbull can't take special attacks very well
-Vulnerable to a knock off as Granbull does not have reliable recovery, leftovers helps Granbull's lack of recovery but once it is gone it is going to have a hard time due to it's lack of recovery

Team Options
========
-With no reliable healing move, you want a wish passer such as Audino/Lickilicky for recovery and synergy as they can cover Granbull's special defense which is it's achilles heel.
-Granbull appreciates hazards such as Stealth Rocks/Spikes/Toxic Spikes could be handy
-Audino/Lickilicky for wish support and Special bulk to provide synergy with Granbull
-Sleep Talk sliggoo/ Altaria could be considered due to their special bulk

Choice Band
########
name: Choice Band
move 1: Play Rough
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Fire Punch
move 4: Close Combat/Stone Edge
ability:Intimidate
item: Choice Band
evs: 212 HP / 252 ATK / 44 SPE
nature: Adamant

Moves
========
-Play Rough for your physical STAB, with a nice power of 90 and an alright accuracy of 90 with ability to lower opponents attack
-Earthquake for coverage
-Fire punch for Feroseed
-4th move is a filler, can be used to hit something harder than the other three moves
-Close Combat could be used to hit Steel and normal types harder
-Stone Edge could be used to hit common flying types
-First three moves give Granbull a nice perfect coverage

Set Details
========
-212 Hp evs to improve the longevity of Granbull
-252 Attack evs to maximize damage from nature and Band
-44 evs in Speed to outspeed common base 50s such as Vileplume and Piloswine
-Adamant nature chosen to maximize it's use in it's attack stat
-Choice Band to maximize damage dealt to the opponent
-Intimidate helps Granbull come into physical attackers easier and tank a physical hit then proceed to hit hard back

Usage Tips
========
-Choice Band Granbull is a Wallbreaker, so use it in the early to mid-game to break walls
-Can Switch to any fighting type and or weak physical attacks then hit back hard with Choice Band

Team Options
========
-Granbull likes hazards, with hazards it gives Granbull an opportunity to ohko pokemon that it normally can't so Granbull would appreciate extra support with Stealth Rocks or Spikes
-CB Granbull wants to be able to come in a lot so a defogger would be nice to minimize the incoming damage from hazards
-Can be used with a pokemon with U-turn or Volt Switch to create some momentu
-Cleric or wish passer would be nice so Granbull can still hit without having to worry about being burned. Examples like Audino/lickilicky for wish passing and Altaria is another special defensive pokemon that could be considered for a cleric.

Sleep Talk
########
name: Sleep Talk
move 1: Rest
move 2: Sleep Talk
move 3: Play Rough
move 4: Earthquake/Heal Bell
evs: 224 HP / 32 ATK / 252 DEF

Moves
========
-Rest
-Sleep Talk
-Play Rough for hard hitting Stab
-Earthquake for coverage
-Heal bell could be used instead of earthquake if your team needs a physical wall and a cleric at the same time in one pokemon, it isn't suggested as you lose a lot of coverage as play rough can't cover a lot by itself.

Set Details
========
-224 hp evs to improve it's durability so it can pester the enemy physical attackers more
-252 Defense to increase it's defense sleight
-Intimidate so it can tank the opposing pokemon's attack better and then fire back with a Stab play rough or earthquake
-Impish nature to improve it's defense and lower it's never used special attack

Usage Tips
========
-Switch it into any Fighting type as Granbull has the ability to take on most of them as it has a great defensive typing as well as intimidate
-Can be used in Stall or Balanced team
-This set is not as vulnerable to a knock off as compared to the Cleric Set

Team Options
========
-Should be used with a steel type and a poison type in order to check it's weaknesses,
-Dragalge should be considered as a teammate as it's special defense and typing synergizes well with Granbull's physical defense.

Other Options
########
Cleric set: Roar and Super Fang can be considered
-Roar to phaze out switch-ins and set up mons, also used so opponent can take more damage from hazards
-Super Fang to chunk out decent hp off Switch-ins without worrying about prediction
-You can try a Granbull with alternative ev spread like to surprise the enemy into thinking it as a defensive but in actuality a physical attacker with 3 attacks+Thunder Wave.

Checks & Counters
########
*Steel Types*
Pawniard get's an honorable mention as a check. Not only does it resist Intimidate and get it's attack boosted from it from defiant but is a great powerhouse itself enough to destroy Granbull in one shot with STAB Iron head. Pawniard also prevents switch-ins by Granbull as the Defiant boost is really strong. However Granbull can fire back with a Twave or deal tons of damage from incoming Earthquake, Fire punch or Close Combat. However Pawniards need to be vary of CB Granbull because Pawniard get's ohko'd by Earthquake from the CB set.

*Poison Types*
Bulky defensive poison types like Vileplume, Arbok, Weezing
-Vileplume counters most of Granbull's sets and fires back with a STAB sludgebomb that ohkos all of Granbull's sets
-Arbok Checks most of Granbull's set but has to take care of an Earthquake from the CB set while getting thko'd by the defensive set's Earthquake
-Weezing counters most of Granbull's sets as it can take any hit and fire back with a Sludge bomb or flamethrower dealing more damage than Granbull as well as burning Granbull with Will-O-Wisp which destroys the CB set as it can't do the damage needed for wallbreaking anymore as it's attack is halved by the burn.

*Tangela*
-Tangela doesn't take much from most of the sets and can fire back with a strong giga drain

*Strong Special Attackers*
-Any strong special attacker that have a strong stab could check Granbull by firing away and destroying it due to it's low special defense like
-Typlosion
-Pyroar
*Status Condition*
-Toxic and Burns hurts Granbull

Last edited:

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Timeneon

First set:

Cleric
########
name: Cleric
move 1: Heal Bell
move 2: Play Rough
move 3: Earthquake / Fire Punch
move 4: Thunder Wave
evs: 248 HP / 20 Atk / 240 Def

with Roar and Super Fang mentionned in Moves. I also personally think the Rest Talk one shouldnt be a set, and instead, be in this set's Moves section (Granbull's only option for recovery besides Wish support). If other people on QC think it deserves its own set pls post

Second set:

Choice Band
########
name: Choice Band
move 1: Play Rough
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Fire Punch
move 4: Close Combat
item: Choice Band
evs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
nature: Adamant

Superpower in Other Options. 44 Spe is to outspeed base 50s such as Vileplume and Piloswine.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
I wouldn't be opposed to Sleep talk having it's own set, but put EQ over Heal Bell as mono attacking fairy sucks. It's relatively hard to kill, as conventional ways of wearing down Granbull don't work. Again, depends on what other QCs think, 1-1 as of now.

Anyways as sg said, unslash Superpower on the banded set: keeping your SpDef stat intact isn't worth lowering your attack set, especially on a banded mon.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
20 Atk Granbull Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Spiritomb: 158-188 (51.9 - 61.8%) -- 97.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
32 Attack EVs is what lets you 2HKO Spiritomb, and even then I am hesitant in straying that far away from simple max HP + max Def investment just to 2HKO something you beat anyway (max HP + max Def Tomb tend not to carry Pain Split to my knowledge).

RestTalk is different enough to get its own set I believe: it requires much less maintenance to stay alive, but limited coverage means it is more prone to being set up on. This means a different playstyle and different optimal teammates.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I always ran a little more than 20, so I think actually running some attack on granbull is good because it doesnt sacrifice bulk and hits a little harder.
Granbull @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 200 HP / 56 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Play Rough
- Earthquake
- Thunder Wave
- Heal Bell

20 to specifically hit spiritomb is fine by me, I ran 56 dont ask me why and there was no noticeable change in bulk so keep it 20 imo

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
i feel like an offensive set with leftovers would work pretty well with this thing. it still hits hard and can switch moves and paralyze things or use heal bell. leftovers also gives you more longevity than the choice band set. protect is a viable option to stall for leftovers recovery or scout poison jab fighting-types

Granbull @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- Thunder Wave / Heal Bell / Protect

i also think that the cleric and sleep talk set could be mixed together somehow. maybe just mention sleep talk in the set details of the first set since they play really similarly in my opinion.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
20 to specifically hit spiritomb is fine by me, I ran 56 dont ask me why and there was no noticeable change in bulk so keep it 20 imo
20 Atk Granbull Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Spiritomb: 158-188 (51.9 - 61.8%) -- 97.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Lol wtf Mont I specifically just shown that 20 is not enough; it needs to be 32 EVs if Bull wants to nab the 2HKO, which I still think is unnecessary.

i also think that the cleric and sleep talk set could be mixed together somehow. maybe just mention sleep talk in the set details of the first set since they play really similarly in my opinion.
The thing is that slashing RestTalk over Granbull's other moves forces it to drop support moves (TWave, Roar) and coverage (Earthquake), trading more team support and independency for sheer survivability (basically no need for Wish users), which make them pretty different from each other imo. Especially since RestTalk is nowhere near as vulnerable to Knock Off as non-RestTalk variants, which can get worn down.

Last edited:

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Lol wtf Mont I specifically just shown that 20 is not enough; it needs to be 32 EVs if Bull wants to nab the 2HKO, which I still think is unnecessary.
I saw the calc 20 Atk Granbull Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Spiritomb: 158-188 (51.9 - 61.8%) -- 97.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery and assumed that 20 was good enough to 2HKO 2.7% chance not to. But yeah if you feel like 32 is better than I am fine with that.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Well, don't need Attack EVs for Spiritomb anymore. Cut all mentions of Spiritomb, and make the EV spread for the Cleric set max HP/Def.

Your Overview is mostly telling us stuff that we can figure out by glancing at the top of the dex page. Cut the first three points. Instead just say that Granbull's typing and bulk with access to Intimidate make it a good check to Dark- and Fighting-types. Decent movepool is fine, but it's too vague. Just say that it has some good support moves and a nice offensive movepool or something like that. Cut the last point because it'll be mentioned earlier. "Mediocre tankiness" doesn't really mean anything, and it doesn't care about being slow.

Choice Band seems inferior to an offensive Leftovers set. The only offensive moves it really needs are Play Rough and Earthquake. Fire Punch is nice as well, but you absolutely don't need anything else. Let's roll with FLCL's offensive support set instead.

Mention Bulk Up in the moves for the RestTalk set.

Well, don't need Attack EVs for Spiritomb anymore. Cut all mentions of Spiritomb, and make the EV spread for the Cleric set max HP/Def.

Your Overview is mostly telling us stuff that we can figure out by glancing at the top of the dex page. Cut the first three points. Instead just say that Granbull's typing and bulk with access to Intimidate make it a good check to Dark- and Fighting-types. Decent movepool is fine, but it's too vague. Just say that it has some good support moves and a nice offensive movepool or something like that. Cut the last point because it'll be mentioned earlier. "Mediocre tankiness" doesn't really mean anything, and it doesn't care about being slow.

Choice Band seems inferior to an offensive Leftovers set. The only offensive moves it really needs are Play Rough and Earthquake. Fire Punch is nice as well, but you absolutely don't need anything else. Let's roll with FLCL's offensive support set instead.

Mention Bulk Up in the moves for the RestTalk set.
So i take off the CB set and replace it with FLCL's offensive support and then slash bulk up with play rough right? so the moveset would be Rest/Sleeptalk/Play rough/bulk up ?

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So i take off the CB set and replace it with FLCL's offensive support and then slash bulk up with play rough right? so the moveset would be Rest/Sleeptalk/Play rough/bulk up ?
no slash, just mention it in moves

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)