• Yes

Votes: 32 72.7%
  • No

Votes: 12 27.3%

• Total voters
Approved by Jellicent n.n
OP Stolen from verbatim from the om thread
What?

Balanced Hackmons is a tier that throws out many conventional rules of standard competitive pokemon battling in order to create an entirely new experience. The basic premise is, "Anything goes". You can use any pokemon with any move with any item with 252 ev's in every stat. Also worth noting is that there is no team preview (making leads once more important) and that there are no clauses, the only things banned are Wonder Guard, Pure/Huge Power, OHKO moves, and Arena Trap/Shadow Tag. Since everyone gets everything many pokemon (here's looking at you Breloom) that managed to make it into the upper echelons of competitive pokemon through their access to rare abilities and moves are suddenly left behind in favor of pokemon with better stats and better typing. This allows pokemon that were saddled with a horrendously empty movepool or debilitating abilities to finally have a chance to shine.

Where?

Sadly there is no longer a ladder to ladder on but you can play on http://piccolo.psim.us/ or by challenge.

Metagame Analysis

As hackmons has less determining factors (only base stats and typing are relevent) than any other metagame, the few determining factors mean that it is much easier to determine which pokemon is "best" in its particular field and as a result, very few pokemon are truly usable in Hackmons (think ubers insofar as # of viable pokemon is concerned). Because of this, the variety in Hackmons comes less from what pokemon you use and more from what abilities and items you use on them. Because of the ability to run 252 ev's in every stat, many pokemon become much bulkier than they used to be in their older games and thus the metagame is heavily focused on bulky offense.

Conclusion

Here's hoping that through this page, hackmons has become a little less alien and a lot more exciting for many. In the vein of Theorymon's streetmons thread feel free to post sets that you have used or faced, keeping in mind to not post a set until you have tried it out or seen it in an actual Hackmons battle. Most importantly, have fun!
Tagging people like Adrian Marin asterat TheCommadore and some old faces like Imanalt chaos MikeDecIsHere MJB Zarel now post :)
Also blissey is not viable when chansey exists.
All the sets you need to know unless there are innovations in here: http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...rehensive-guide-to-balanced-hackmons.3487893/

Glad to see this is a thread. I never played gen 5 but constantly hear good things about. I hope this thread will renew interest in a great metagame.

How is Multitype handled? IE, what happens if I give Genesect Multitype? And are you allowed to use the typed Arceus forms without Multitype?

How is Multitype handled? IE, what happens if I give Genesect Multitype? And are you allowed to use the typed Arceus forms without Multitype?
You are allowed to use the forms w/o them, and Multitype is coded only to work on Arceus itself (same goes for all form-changing abilities, ex. Flower Gift and Zen Mode)

Isa

I've never felt better in my life
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Shouldn't this be in Other Metagames where all the other mods are?

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Iirc all the gen 5 threads/projects in OM got closed down, i think this thread could be put either here or there, so feel free to discuss away.

I haven't played BH in ages, but i remember trolling people with a toxic spikes deo-s lead with the intention of getting the tspikes bounced back, then i set up lefties poison heal regigigas. Also something with mold breaker pursuit because all the kids on the ladder ran sturdyninja. I could probably even dig that team up somewhere, rest was fairly standard stuff, imposter blob, prankster groudon, etc.

so Balanced Hackmons threads are put here, but ADV LC, etc, arent? what a weird world we're living in.
My guess would be that BH actually had a ladder/playerbase, unlike ADV LC or metas that didn't exist (or have a ladder) before. That means this thread is sort of about "bringing back discussion" about gen 5's BH.

Fun! I didn't even notice that this thread had been posted. When I played BH in Generation V, I was horrible; I didn't become semi-competent until this generation. If discussion is rekindled here, and the meta starts getting played again, this could be a really good opportunity for improvement.

I'll make a team soon to use on http://piccolo.psim.us/ or main.

oh this looks fun. i didn't start playing until a month or so into xy so i have no experience with the meta but i imagine a lack of -ates and proteans make a much more balanced meta. i just hope that it's not overrun with adrian stall

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)