Riolu @ Focus Sash
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Reversal
- Endure / Crunch
- Copycat

This is probably the most gimmicky set I made for a pokemon. The idea is very obvious, so I'll explain it briefly. And yes, I understand somebody probably thought of this already, but I did too. The idea of this set is taking any move kill something with Reversal and go to town with a priority 200 Base power STAB move. With as SD behind it's belt there are not many pokemon that safely switch into this.

Riolu dropped in usage since Game Friend nerfed the Copycat + Roar combination that was often seen in gen 5 NU. They decided that this was broken and made it so Copycat and Assist no longer call up - priority moves such as Roar, Dragon Tail and Whirlwind. But that does not mean Riolu doesn't have another set that it can use very effectively. So when I looked into it's movepool I noticed Reversal. And knowing it got Endure, the set was made really quickly. Riolu is not really a bulky pokemon and that's not necessary for this set. You want to be taken down to your Focus Sash to maximize the base power of Reversal.
Swords Dance is there to give Riolu the deadly Reversal it wants due to a lack of raw power in his base physical attack stat. Many pokemon don't want to switch in to a +2 200 Base power Reversal from this monster. It 2hko's Garbodor, Tangela, Dragalge, Weezing, Slurpuff, Uxie, Muk, Vileplume, Carbink and Pelipper. These are some extremely bulky pokemon often used as defensive wall.
Copycat is there to get a priority move which is used last, which can be either against you, or used by you, often Reversal.
And the last moveslot is either Endure or Crunch. Endure will allow you to guarantee your Focus Sash to activate, so you hang on with 1 HP. Crunch is there to obviously hit Ghost types which completely wall this set. I chose to go with Endure because my team has a Sneasel which outspeeds and OHKO' most Ghost types. Also it has Pursuit, so they can't switch out.

This might be a gimmicky set but it definitely works. I can recommend this set for sure. Because it's pretty efficient, but not only that, it also is a lot of fun to use. I know it's longer than I promised it would be, but thanks for reading and I hope you try it out.

Replay:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-164524329 I know I overreacted in that battle, but hey. It's a gosh darn Riolu)

Monferno @ Eviolite
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 200 HP / 220 Def / 88 Spe
Bold Nature
- Flamethrower
- Taunt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Slack Off

Now most of you are going to look at this and think Teddeh is crazy as per usual, but it's actually decent... really good :L It has some amazing bulk, amazing typing, will-o and taunt are incredibly nice utility moves, you hit 220 speed to outspeed max adamant pawniard and it has recovery. I was inspired to use this by Punchshroom and originally used it for a joke team, but it straight up beats half the mons in the tier...
You can stop hazards, you can burn physical threats and you just don't care about most things in the NU tier.
Reasons why it's so good:
- With eviolite plus defense investment, it may be a monferno but it can tank hits for days.
- Taunt means it beats every stall-y pokemon in the tier.
- Will-o is nice too, stops physical attackers nicely and can be a lovely utility to ware teams down.
Not only is it surprising when people see the bulk, it just straight beats almost every physical attacker and has amazing typing. With sticky web, you don't have to use the speed investment, you straight stop every setup sweeper in the tier that doesn't float, such as lilligant, slurpuff (if BD), gatr (If no lum), liepard etc etc. Surprisingly enough I actually beat all of those and they are my examples because of it xD
It's a seriously underrated set, i urge you all to try it! :]

EDIT: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pu-165041822 a pure example of its amazingness

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I have been meaning to address this for a while now, so here I go.

Seaking @ Assault Vest
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Scald/Waterfall
- Knock Off
- Megahorn
- Drill Run

This set is pretty amazing, you might think Seaking doesn't have a very high attack stat and that's very true, but the point of this set is just it's sheer bulk.
Pure Water is already a great defensive typing physically, and it only has two weaknesses, Grass and Electric. Seaking's amazing ability makes it utterly immune to one of those. Seaking now has one weakness. One of the issues Seaking has is mediocre bulk. Assault Vest helps with that a lot, making it x1.5. This helps it stomach many heavy hitting special attackers. Another thing Seaking has is the element of surprise, people tend to forget Seaking has Lightning Rod and they just fire their Electric moves giving Seaking +1 SpA, pretty useless but it gives Seaking to cripple the opposing mon with Knock Off or potentially burning them with the ever-so haxy Scald. If you need an Electric-immune Water type who's not weak to ground and has pretty nice bulk, Seaking it is!
I have no idea why anyone would want to use this set over Seismitoad, which boasts Seaking's two most important moves, Scald and Knock Off, has the same Electric immunity, an additional immunity, and utterly eclipses it stat-wise. You shouldn't even be using fully defensive investment on an AV Poke, since it will have utter shit offensive potential. Impish Scald really?

Well, first off, toad has much better things to do than run an av set, he works best as a stealth rock setter and cannot do that with av obviously.
This quote baffles me to no end. If Toad's access to Stealth Rock makes it an unappealing AV user, how does Seaking's access to nothing over Seismitoad somehow make it a better AV user? You're pretty much saying that if AV Toad is bad, AV Seaking is even worse.

Also, Seaking has a bit of a stronger physical movepool than Seismitoad, Megahorn has a higher bp and he can run Waterfall unlike toad. You're probably thinking, well toad can run Scald to burn things, that's true but Seaking can switch in on thunder wave, get +1 and do decent damage with Scald. Without av toad has pretty unimpressive special bulk uninvested. Seaking has the superior special bulk with av, and toad just can't function with it as nicely, both of them having roughly the same attack stat (92 to 95) but toad misses out on a few things Seaking has. Toad does outclass it when running completely special though. The agility life orb set is just pathetic.
Since you're running no offensive investment, not only does Waterfall have no merit over Scald on Seaking, but Toad easily hits harder than Seaking with STAB Earthquake. Lightningrod does not close the gap either since the boost is less a luxury and more of a necessity for Seaking to do any real damage with any special attack it has, so that point is moot as well, not to mention the boost is only temporary. Besides, what Electric attackers w/o a Grass move does Toad not beat? If they do have a Grass move then I won't believe Seaking would be much better off anyway since, you know, shit offensive potential. The extra coverage Seaking has is also pretty meaningless when Samurott makes much better use of Megahorn due to its access to Swords Dance, not to mention your Seaking's lack of investment means that Seaking won't be threatening any defensive Grass-type outside of Exeggutor, which is weak to Knock Off anyway, and even the offensive Grass-types aren't OHKOed. I'd sooner use goddamn Ice Punch Seismitoad to ward off Grasses than rely on Seaking's Megahorn, and Toad is still pretty bad at that >.>

Conclusion: Seaking has virtually nothing over every other NU Water-type. More like Shitking amirite?

The Natural gift revolution is in full force.

Flareon @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
Shiny: Yes
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Natural Gift

Natural gift is a move that is currently rising in usage in this meta for the sheer effectiveness it can give to pokes that are not blessed with the same depth in movepool options as mons like mespirit.

Flareon is one of those mons.
It suffered five generations without a decent stab move, and when it got it. It was deemed a suicide pill, not a power trick. It was too easily walled by the likes of rhydon and seismitoad and as a result was thrown into the realms of "what could have been" pokemon.

However , in this ever evolving meta, we are beginning to find moves and move sets that make a pokemon sweeping potential far greater than it was before. This was epitomised by the recently popularised watamel berry Leafeon set, which allowed it to bypass common walls to it. Namely ferroseed and vileplume.

Liechi berry does for flareon what watamel did for leafeon, but in my opinion to greater effect.
Watamel berry has no competitive use outside of said 100 bp fire move on natural gift, however, liechi berry can offer way more to flareon as far as utility is concerned.

If the opponent doesn't have a check to flareon that is weak to liechi berry and a late game sweep looks on the cards, you are now capable of subbing down into liechi berry range, activating the berry (1.5x attack at 1/4 or less HP) and allowing you to get one last super power/flare blitz off.

Its quite remarkable how the rise of one move can put life into a dieing pokemon. Not only does liechi berry give sheer surprise and coverage in the form of a 100 bp grass natural gift, but the ability to slightly add something not competitively useless when said coverage move isn't needed, is too good an oppurtuinity to refuse.

This set is honestly quite a bit of fun, dual natural gifters is pretty schweet and the fact that it gives flareon utility outside of a one hit wonder coverage move is what makes it appealing for me.

Last edited:

Here we have Lopunny, a mon who got a buff/niche in the form of Assault Vest (Lopunny's prior niche was Switcherooing items, but Switcherooing Assault Vest makes her unique), but still isn't too used. She has a repesctable special defense, and an above average speed tier. with all these things, this set is made for an HO team's antilead.

Charity (Lopunny) (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Klutz
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Switcheroo
- Magic Coat
- Return
- Heal Bell

amen.

Last edited:

Feraligatr @ Life Orb
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 192 HP / 252 Atk / 64 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower
- Swords Dance

Superpower Feraligatr is a super cool bait, since it really has one, and only one goal in eliminating ferroseed early into the game. While it lacks the reliability of Ice Punch in getting key coverage on Vileplume or Gourgeist, Superpower eliminates arguably Feraligatr's single most common and annoying check in the game. With a Life Orb, Feraligatr guarantees an OHKO every time on Max / Max Ferroseed, and Superpower also hits stuff like Lanturn and Seismitoad much harder, which is a plus.
By nature, although you give up Feraligatr's ability to use neutral coverage, what you get with this set is a massive hole puncher for other water types to sweep. Combined with Carracosta, Kabutops, Ludicolo, etc. who all detest Ferroseed appreciate the utility of Superpower Feraligatr. Foregoing Ice Punch / Return is a big con, but this is a nice surprise for an unsuspecting opponent to #getbopped.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Sawk (M) @ Black Belt
Ability: Mold Breaker
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

So this is an old set run back in the BW2 days, but it still works fine now. The whole point of this set is to bait in walls who like to utilize recovery or utility moves and prevent them from doing so, for instance Pokemon like Qwilfish (likes to set up twave and spikes)
and Musharna (prevent it from using Moonlight). Sawk likes to spam Close Combat, which is why the item Black Belt is used, as it allows sawk to bluff a band and powers-up Close Combat. The coverage is whatever you feel like, personally knock off and then a coverage moe for specific walls. Ice Punch, Poison Jab, and Stone Edge can be used over Earthquake depending on what you want to hit.

Fun set I recommend trying it out but be warned as soon as you reveal taunt the opponent will play differently around it.

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4HP/ 252 Attack/252 Speed
Jolly/Adamant Nature
-Swords Dance
-Seed Bomb
-Ice Punch
-Waterfall

Very fun set to use when combined with rain dance, as most people would bring in special walls to deal with rain dance Ludicolo; brings off a very strong "WOW" factor. With hazard support and teammates to whittle down Garbordor/Musharna/Vileplume, this set has no trouble at all securing a sweep in the rain.

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Had a lot of fun with a couple of sets recently

Typhlosion @ Petaya Berry
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 2 Atk / 30 SpA
- Substitute
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Extrasensory / Flame Charge

Basically the premise of this set is that you force something out and Sub on the switch, you hit the switchin with what hits the hardest and when your Sub is broken, you keep on Subbing until you reach 25% HP, activating both your Petaya Berry and Blaze and turning Typhlosion into a monster. It's really easy to get a free Sub because of how easy it is to force switches with Typhlosion and from there on you can eliminate a few mons pretty easily. Sadly priority users can ruin its day but I guess it can't be helped. Use Flame Charge if you can handle the likes of Hariyama and Dragalge and would like a speed boost in order to outspeed scarfers and the like. Doesn't sweep often but can take out a couple of threats and is a lot of fun to use. 4 HP investment and 29 HP IVs to preserve HP Grass yet also activate Petaya Berry at 25% HP rather than at 1% so that things like Hariyama's Bullet Punch don't kill you etc

Cased

Banned deucer.
Quit posting really bad sets here please. This isn't a place for theorymon sets that might be good. If you haven't had success with the set against good players, it isnt worth posting. I'll be going through and deleting posts of unviable sets and Pokemon.
Yeah but you used Thunderbolt Shadow Ball Fire Blast Ice Beam Lickitung, don't be mean to bad sets. You rude >:[!

@ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 200 Def / 60 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Psychic

oo One of my favorite sets right now, with Spiritomb leaving it really has opened Mesprit and Uxie for effectiveness, and honestly the remaining Dark-types (Liepard / Pawniard) are pretty easy to wall if a team is built correctly and they're somewhat easy to wear down if you know what they both switch-in on I guess. It's a pretty decent glue honestly and the annoying things that aren't Dark-type are things that annoy it like Steel-types (Ferroseed Leeches and Klinklang set-ups) / Knock Offs from Fighting-types when Resttalking (basically Sawk/Gurdurr) / Strong offensive pressure in general. If you're going to use this, obviously bulky offense is probably the best thing to put this on, serves as a fantastic win condition. And the things you should probably patch up are a safe switch-in to Dark-types (Or Knock Off I guess) and Klinklang, and ways to take on Hyper Offense well, maybe a bulky Spikes + Kanga team... o wait we're not all Soulgazer

o ya btw evs just make me hit 241 because of the Pokemon who speed creep 239s to do stuff mainly Qwilfish I guess idek run Speed if you want or get super specific EVs but imo there's no SpA needed unlike a Sub CM set that focuses on coverage but yeah :]

Pangoro @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Crunch
- Hammer Arm
- Poison Jab

Pangoro! Pangoro is currently my favorite Pokemon in all of NU, it's just very good. I've been playing with Trick Room for a bit now and Hammer Arm goes perfectly in tandem with it. Further more, Hammer Arm is boosted by Iron Fist, making its power quite high. Crunch compliments it well by hitting Ghost-types, while Poison Jab hits Fairy-types. Of course I did just tell you what each move does, this should be obvious, let me actually talk about the set and how it works. The basic idea of this set is to come in under Trick Room via U-turn and bring Pangoro in. From here, the best option is often to attack, or setup if the opponent has something like Audino in. From here, Pangoro can launch its powerful attacks left and right. A teammate I love for it is Mesprit, which has nearly flawless synergy, sets Trick Room, has Stealth Rock, and can bring Pangoro in safely with U-turn. Xatu fulfills this role but without Stealth Rock as well. One thing someone brought up was using Parting Shot over Poison Jab and I really like that idea; however, this leaves Slurpuff to set up on you and I miss catching Fairy-type switching off guard. Both are viable because of their own separate merits: Poison Jab for Fairy-types, Parting Shot for momentum. Overall, Pangoro is just a neat Pokemon in general and should be used a bit more n_n!

Punchshroom

One thing someone brought up was using Parting Shot over Poison Jab and I really like that idea; however, this leaves Slurpuff to set up on you and I miss catching Fairy-type switching off guard. Both are viable because of their own separate merits: Poison Jab for Fairy-types, Parting Shot for momentum. Overall, Pangoro is just a neat Pokemon in general and should be used a bit more n_n!
The main reason I don't use Poison Jab on my Pangoro is that its targets are either too bulky (Intimidate Granbull and Togetic), too passive to threaten other teammates (Togetic), or simply dies to +2 Hammer Arm, eliminating the need to predict with Poison Jab (+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Iron Fist Pangoro Hammer Arm vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 307-361 (100.32 - 117.97%) -- guaranteed OHKO). Slurpuff cannot set up on Pangoro under Trick Room anyway since it will simply get 2HKOed or simply get smashed by +2 Hammer Arm. Slurpuff's best opportunity to set up on Panda would be right before / when Trick Room wears out after Pangoro KOes something, but using Parting Shot instead of going for the KO will deny Slurpuff that chance, as well as making it easier for your teammates to set up Trick Room to continue the rampage. Your team should be equipped to handle Fairies for Panda anyway, Poison Jab or not.

Imo, Parting Shot Pangoro is easily one of the best sweepers for Trick Room to have, since it has brute power, good STAB combo, and can maintain momentum / support TR setters. Not using Parting Shot seems like a huge shame, and weakening its Fairy matchup is worth having such a great supporting move.

>.>
SR-71 (Murkrow) @ Eviolite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Feather Dance
- Roost
- Night Shade

The physical wall is here. And it comes with a vengeance.
When I originally had my first look at murkrow, and saw it had prankster roost, I immediately looked at its defensive stats. They were poor. When I was looking through the moves it acquired, it got one huge trait that got my mind fixated on it until now.
Priority feather dance gives murkrow a pseudo base 126 defense stat (eviolite included) with prankster roost recovery. Which is quite terrifying since even mandibuzz last gen didn't have that much defense or even priority roost.
It also has 4mss quite a bit, and you can therefore change up your koveset depending on the role you want murkrow to fulfill.
For example if you have a stall team weak to scyther, you can run haze to help deal with it. You can run toxic over twave, foul play over night shade but I would always keep the core of feather dance and roost as that for me forces the most switches and is the most effective.

As far as weakness' are concerned, you need to have a strong specially defensive platform to build this with since it does not appreciate a magmortars tbolt/fire blast coming at it. So I often find myself using this on stall, as an anti physical set-up sweeper type of Pokémon. Also has a nice ground immunity so mons like sawk can't freely eq.
Overall, I do believe murkrow itself is one of the most underrated mons out there ATM, its unlisted in the viability ranking so almost any opponent won't know what it does, until it does it and forces many switches in the process.
I hope y'all see the potential in this Mon as I do and if so give it a try.
BTW if you don't get the nick smh :)

Sweet Jesus

Neal and Jack and me, absent lovers...
Time to jesus this tier up a bit

Musharna @ Kee Berry
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 242 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Moonlight
- Baton Pass

This thing has surprise killed so many people at the end of matches. It's in my opinion, musharna's best way to adapt to this gen where knock off is so common. Kee berry will activate as soon as something hits mushy on the physical side (no contact needed). Mushy then gets a +1 defence boost and knock off won't get the item bonus since the berry is activated, not knocked. It's stupidly easy to set up on so much stuff after that and a calm mind cause you tank practicly everything. If the opponent can't phaze this thing, there"s a good chance he'll need to toxic it, send out a dark or set up faster. In whichever of these cases (toxic being synchronoized), you can just baton pass a calm mind and a defence boost which is super easy to pass safely to whatever will finish the sweep.

Lapras @ Leftovers/Damp Rock
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 32 HP / 252 SpA / 224 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Freeze-Dry
- Rain Dance
- Rest

Pretty straight forward. Perfect coverage, max sp.a hydro pumps in rain destroy most things that don't resist it and freeze-dry hits those SE. Rest + Hydration in rain means perfect recovery in one turn with amazing natural bulk. 224 Speed is to outspeed max without nature torterra. Good set, but not so easy to squeeze in a team. Ferroseed sets up all over it, so have a plan for that.

Exeggutor @ Colbur Berry/Kee Berry
Ability: Harvest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Psychic
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder/Leech Seed/Toxic
- Synthesis

Another one that abuses berries to nerf knock off. Since the berries are activated, not knocked off, harvest will bring them back. Colbur makes eggy a incredible physical wall in terms of reistances and weaknesses. Kee berry on the other side makes eggy near invincible on the phyiscal side if the opponent doesn't do at least 60% on the first hit and then outspeeds it.

Leavanny @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Swarm
Jolly Nature
- X-Scissor/Leaf Blade
- Sticky Web
- Endure
- Baton Pass

Super gimmicy but fun. Leavanny has access to a very rare form of hazards and a massive six weaknesses, endure, weakness policy and baton pass work together to abuse that. In the best of cases, you'll set up both, but even if you only manage to use one, there's a good chance your opponent will be fucked. Baton pass is also a cool way to recycle a hazards setter when you know the spinner will die after your mon. X-scissor is put over leaf blade cause a swarm x-scissor after using endure actually hits sort of hard.

EDIT: I actually tested it out with WhiteDMist. He knocked off my colbur berry and it activated and came back with harvest at the end of the turn. I didn't check the damage it dealt though but looking at bulbapedia's definition, I'm probably wrong. It probably will get the boost because the item can be lost instead of not getting it because it didn't get knocked off (dumb mechanics if you ask me but oh well)

Last edited:

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
for exeggutor, im pretty sure harvest doesnt activate anymore if you get knocked off

edit: ah i see, my bad

Last edited:

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
for exeggutor, im pretty sure harvest doesnt activate anymore if you get knocked off
It doesn't, but that's the point of those berries. They activate before Knock Off checks if there is an item or not. So since there is no item when it checks, cause eggy just ate it, then nothing is knocked off and at the end of the turn there is a chance for harvest to recover the berry.

Punchshroom

I believe berries that weaken Knock Off's damage would still activate Knock Off's damage boost, but they'd be consumed instead of Knocked Off, which is good news in the case of Harvest Pokemon.

Uxie @ Choice Band (yes banded is power)
Evs: 240 hp / 252 atk / 16 speed
Adamant Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Knock Off
- Fire Punch
- U-turn

The Based God of Based Gods. This Uxie is a great lure, hitting unexpected mons like ferroseed and gurdurr for a huge chunk of damage. Now many people have said "oh its outclassed by mesprit as a bander", well um, no its not. Mesprit has nice bulk, but not as much bulk as uxie, true mesprit hits a little harder, but bulk and speed let uxie hit numerous times through a match. More importantly, uxie isn't generally seen as a offensive pokemon, so common defensive targets like ferroseed or hariyama tend not to run from uxie. The Hp Evs let uxie tank a hit from say mismagius shadow ball or sawk knock off, and bop them with the right move. Fire punch hurts ferroseed, which puts it in range where it can no longer check your water sweeper like say feraligatr. Uturn give overall momentum and bops leipard.

Uxie's Finest Moments:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-168455847 (just... wow)
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-167052102
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-166762179
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/nu-166626900

Git on Ma Level

Lickilicky @ Assault Vest
164 hp / 216 atk / 144 SpAtk
Ability: Cloud Nine
Brave Nature
-Power Whip
-Fire Blast
-Knock Off
-Body Slam/Earthquake

No, I am Not Blame Truth. Lickilicky is seen as a wish passer overshadowed by audino, or to a lesser extent, a CB exploder or SD booster. This is where the fun begins. Seismitoad? Bopped by power whip. Ferroseed? Eat this fiya blast. Plume, delicious 2hko with fire blast. This thing, hits... everything. The goal of this set is to wreck feraligatr checks, however, you can check many threats in the metagame, while not being limited to 1 role. It also serves as a weather check, grasses can't solar beam you, and typhlosions eruption doesn't hit nearly as hard as it should in the sun. Knock off because why not, earthquake is for pesky electric types and body slam for stab. Feel Free to play with the eve a bit, this is the spread i use tho.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I battled Oshony using that team, and well those were certainly unexpected for sure. After I saw zen headbutt on uxie, I knew it was banded, considering defensive uxie always runs psychic / psyshock as an offensive move :P
The lickilicky was just really damn annoying, because it screwed over with my sun team and took forever to KO.

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Cryogonal @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Explosion
- Rapid Spin
- Hidden Power [Ground]

set looks weird but it does some cool things. the main reason I decided to start using this is because shit like hariyama and opposing cryogonal get to come in on you for free and i was fucking tired of it. really niche thing that you could prolly run toxic for but this does have some benefits (also guts yama is becoming really common)

0 Atk Life Orb Cryogonal Explosion vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hariyama: 204-240 (47.5 - 55.9%) -- 82.4% chance to 2HKO
0 Atk Life Orb Cryogonal Explosion vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cryogonal: 330-389 (117.4 - 138.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

the explosion damage on hariyama is respectable and you can get a lil more off with rapid spin or freeze dry on switch in and then kaboom the next turn since no one in their right mind will bp a cryo. it also makes it so that the typhlosion i usually have cryo paired with can put in a lil more work without predicting, and offensive cryo's just die while defensive ones cant toxic you or get a spin off.

Hello, I've been lurking around smogon since shoddy battle, and now i finally decided to post :D

I've been running this as a general check to Fighting types/Physical attackers.

@ ExpertBelt/AssaultVest/Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248HP/252Def/8 Spe
Nature: Impish
-Play Rough
-Close Combat`
-Wild Charge
-Earthquake/Fire Punch

So, i came up with this for the final slot on my team as i needed a safe cushion against Fighting Types and Physical damage in general. It does some good damage without any investment thanks to its base 120 Att.
I'm having some trouble deciding on the held item though. AV seems kinda wasted if im dumping EV's into defence and it lacks power without EB. Either way it really cries for recovery, so maybe lefties is the way to go? I'm tota setup fodder for Gurdurr though, one of the biggest threats to my team.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
First off, Wild Charge seems mostly useless, and doesn't hit anything. In its place, there's quite a few good options. Thunder Wave or Toxic depending on whether your team is offensive or defensive is good support for the team. If you want to beat Gurdurr with several bulk up boosts already, Granbull has access to Roar. Don't use either EB or AV. Expert Belt sounds OK, except for the fact that you remember you have no offensive investment. Boosting item with 0 investment is just not a good way to go. AV might be OK but you're not using Granbull to primarily check special attackers anyways, and you need the Roar / status moves, especially if you want to invest fully in defense.

Your set just looks confused in general. Your items and moves are fully offensive, but your spread suggests otherwise. If you want some more damage (which helps you actually kill Gurdurr 1v1), invest into attack, with moveset along the lines of Play Rough / Close Combat / Earthquake / Thunder Wave. If defensive, then you probably should only have Play Rough as your 1 offensive move and fill the rest of your moveset with utility moves like Heal Bell, status, Roar, Rest, etc.

Either way, I suggest getting rid of Wild Charge.

Last edited:
Bro if you want to use an offensive granbull, use an offensive utility with like 204 hp / 252 atk / 52 speed, (lefties) and
-Play Rough
-Earthquake/Close Combat
-Fire Punch
-Thunder Wave/Heal Bell

Between eq/cc and fire punch u have all the coverage u could ever need, and 1 move left for utility purposes. Banded bull isnt great because it doesnt have a 4th move to actually put on its moveslot. I would suggest life orb but it granbull is slow and it loses bulk from using it.

Thanks for the input. My moveset definitely was confused, hence me asking for help with it :). Roar over wild charge seems like a great idea, so thats what i'm gonna try, since i don't have a phazer anyway and wild charge was mainy for swanna/pelliper/mantine (lol). I was running no utility or support moves cause i started off with AV when i was creating it, but as i thought, it might not be the best idea to slap AV on something so heavily invested in Def.

TL DR - Roar > Wild Charge, Lefties > AV. Thanks :)

EDIT: What are the 52 Spe EV's aiming to outspeed btw?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)