Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Judging from reviews and gameplay i've seen, the 3ds version of SSB4 honestly seems like its going to be worse than its predecessors melee and brawl. Compared to the other two games, Smash 3DS lacks a lot of content such as having no story / adventure mode, no break the targets, no event matches, no stage builder and no special multiplayer. Local Multiplayer is far worse because of wireless interference, causing problems such as lag. For Fun mode also seems borderline unplayable because of the ridiculous amount of lag I've seen online.

I'm not saying the game is going to be terrible, but it does not seem like the next-gen smash bros game we've been hoping for. Hopefully the Wii U version has all the content that was missing from the 3ds version.
This is probably the case, but remember the main selling point of the 3DS is SMASH ANYWHERE ON THE GO which is, imo pretty huge in and of itself. Handhelds have a LOT more inherent limitations than consoles do, and the 3DS is in a special sort of category because of what they have to put in if they want the 3D effect.

Aside: I am thinking I might also main Link. The game is so totally different above 100% that Link actually merits consideration, because between great close combat options and projectile hell, Link can fairly safely get opponents up to 100% and then use all the killing moves Link gets around that point (Start-up of Up-B on the Ground, even the finisher on Up-B has decent launching power if you meet an opponent high in the air.)

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm getting so pumped for this. Originally I thought I wouldn't get the 3ds version, but after the demo I can't resist. Reviewing all these matches shows so many new buffs for characters I sort of liked playing as but couldn't master. I'll be maining ZSS, Palutena, Mega Man, Ness, and Sheik, and playing around with/trying out Robin, Lucario, Dark Pitt, Duck Hunt Dog, Rob, and maybe Bowser Jr. I can't wait for friday night!

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I really hope I'm able to attend a midnight release. I'm not sure if there's a store in my town doing one, but if there is, I'm going.

I've been playing a lot of Mario form the demo, and boy he does feel buffed. I didn't play him a lot in brawl or meelee, but I remember him as avergae at best. In Smash 4, all his smash moves (especially Up and forward) have very high KO potential, KOing Pikachu at 65% near the edges... They do lack in reach, though. The Cape completely wrecks Megaman and projectile users in general form what I've seen on Youtube. Finally, his forward air is just amazing for early KOs in you manage to hit an enemy past the edges. I can only fight level 9 CPUs, but weirdly, the only one I can't get past easily when using Mario is... Mario.

I take back what I said about Megaman, after playing with him some more he is pretty nifty. Almost all of his smashes have impressive range, and I suspect if I weren't trying to play the game with that retarded circle pad, he'd be even more fun. Villager on the other hand I'm coming down on a bit, the range with his attacks seems kinda sucks to me now. Still great, but maybe not as high on him as I was before.

Ultimately I don't think I'm going to enjoy the 3DS version as much if I can't remap movement to the dpad and throw/shield. The circle "bad" is irritating the heck out of me, if I can't use a true control stick I want to use a proper dpad, not a retarded bastard child of both.

Pic of the day. For the 3DS version, you can select alternate tracks for stages by holding down the R Button while you select the stage--the brown drop shadow that frames the stage image when you hold down the R Button indicates the alternate track is active. For the Living Room stage, the alternate track is the vocal version of the default track. Songs with vocals aren't the best match for battles, but the song was too good to leave out, so this is how we chose to include it.

(Comment)

Also, For the Boxing Ring, if you select the stage while holding down the L Button, you can play on the Smash Bros. version of the stage. If you hold down the Y Button, you can choose to play on the Punch Out! version. These variations are usually selected at random, but this method lets you select them manually.

Okay guys, the game is coming out in less than 4 days and think we ought to start plotting on how best to enjoy ourselves come Friday since I'd love to play some games with you all. I had a few ideas on how we could set things up.

IRC
We have the IRC channel #ssb for discussing smash if you still haven't caught wind of it. Here's a mibbit link. It's reasonably populated for a non-board related splinter with about 20 people in it at a time. This is what we already have and will use as a base for talking about the games and match making come friday.

Voice Chat
However, it's a lot more fluid if we get some actual voicechat going. I was considering using one of these two to keep up some conversations

Google Hangouts
In Orange Islands, we use these pretty frequently since you can chat and screenshare with each other by just visiting a url. Obviously, we won't be using screen share function, but I still think they're a nice way to keep one central conversation active without needing everyone to add each other on Skype. The set up basically envolves joining a single group with your google account

Well it's Skype. Just about everyone has it. If we all want to add each other and hit up random conversations with each other, I'm cool with this.

Which of those two would you guys prefer to use? Or maybe you have another service in mind?

Friend Codes
I created a google doc for us all to share our friend codes. Add yours too if you'll be playing with people here! I'm also going to see if we can't get V4Victini's friend code bot that takes up resident in #smogonwifi to come to #ssb so we can get friend codes very conveniently.

Day 1 / Day 2 Tournament
This sounds like something really cool to arrange. Are you guys interested? I think holding off until Saturday evening sounds good so everyone can get somewhat acquainted with the game and make sure they don't have any internet problems. We could do 3 stock eight minutes with FD (and the omega stages), Yoshi's, Battlefield, and Lumiose city or straight up for glory rules. I'd be willing to host it.

That's all I can think of for setting this stuff up. Leave any feedback you'd like on setting this stuff. I'm really excited to play with you guys on Friday!

Is there going to be a digital copy of this game (via eShop)? I sure as hell won't be able to play this game via hard copy unless I get really lucky. :\

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
TheMantyke I'd be more than happy to help you out with this, depending on how late you want to start... "normal" stream time would be good, but I might have to drop out before the end possibly. Earlier would be better for me, but might not be practical to the Americans.

I'll have an extra few hours of playing time so maybe I'll do OK xD

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
I maybe can do it as long as it doesn't coincide with any plans I have. I'm in Thailand atm so I would prefer knowing what time this is happening before committing.

Yeah I'm definitely gonna be watching Big house 4. Additionally, some people may not have time to unlock the characters they want by then. Why not give it a week and do one on the following weekend? That gives a bit more notice, lets people unlock stuff.

Also, I'm fine being a little more liberal on stages. We can test things like Arena Ferox, Tomadachi life and Reset Bomb Forest. I honestly think the game's gonna come down to FD / BF / Yoshi's neutral with Lumiose CP though.

What about custom moves, do you think they should be allowed early on? Or should they be banned for the first one at least because people may not have them unlocked? I definitely think they're worth testing out, but maybe not this early on so we can get used to things?

EDIT: As for voice chat, I think either works. If we do decide to use Skype we can just toss those in the Google Doc, but I understand a lot of people may want to keep their skype private.

Last edited:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
That's kinda the point -Nitro- It's just a bit of fun lol who gets to grips with things the fastest and just to mess about and learn.

I'd prefer Google+ over Skype but I guess either works.

Since I may consider doing this and am one of the few people who don't have Skype, I'd prefer Google+, though I'm busy pretty much all day Saturday and my input won't matter if I can't even attend lol.

e: To clarify, could someone give an estimate of the actual time the tour would take place? After 7:00 EST I should be okay.

Last edited:

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I could use skype or irc. Never tried google+ but its probably not hard to use. Get ready to get knocked out by dedede's giant hammer of pain. ;]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)