The Anime / Manga Thread (MK2) | Beware Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

remlabmez

@dacopboss
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
I really enjoyed znt, I binged watched it the other day since its only 11 eps and had just finished. I think the fact that I didn't watch it weekly changed my opinions on some things that people complained about, mostly when five is introduced... but then that scene between with twelve and lisa was very powerful and brought the show back up to quality the show was before five came into things. The ending was great also. I am not very critical when it comes to anime though, so I thought the show was great, but I can see where a lot of people are coming from with a lot of the mixed feelings I read about the show.

I really look forward to watching barakamon and nozaki, haven't really seen any dislike for them just praise. I randomly binged watched Guilty Crown this weekend. Great production but jeez the story just kept getting worse and worse and like I said I don't try to be critical about these things but it was very hard to ignore >_>

Akame ga kill is pretty darn good, some may hate it because it bounces between funny and sad/shocking parts but i enjoy it a lot.

the ending was great and so were the first five episodes, but znt suffered from a lot of inconsistencies that i think are more due to it being a series instead of a movie

five is a necessary character and represents what nine and twelve would have become had they remained in the facility - not child prodigies, but intelligent sociopaths obsessed with one goal (in five's case, beating nine)

most of the complains around five were about the amount of power she had and why exactly the US was allowing her to have so much influence; other than that the only complaint i've seen is the ending scene where they shoot twelve first

overall though znt was very good but would have likely been much better as a movie

disagree, i think five was a really useless character that only served to pad the middle section of the show. if they wanted to flesh out the institute thing they had endless other ways of doing so, and i'd argue that nothing of value was achieved with the whole institute plotpoint anyway.

no resonance with terror in resonance - it was empty and pointless. none of the themes force you to think about or confront them and none of the characters are relatable. i won't have anything to remember this show by other than pretty lights in a month or so. it wasn't a bad watch, but what's the point? it's so hollow and there's really no reason for me to recommend it to anyone. i thought it would've worked a lot better as a movie because then you might get a stronger memory of it without immersion breaks and you're much less likely to notice the flaws. "oh, watch this thriller movie with some themes sprinkled in, it's a pretty good movie" is something i can see myself saying about hypothetical movie-znt. "it was hollow, but it was a good watch" is literally what i think of disappearance and i appreciate that movie despite being 3 hours long. znt has a lot of fat to trim so it can do with less than that.

i'm gonna stress it again - znt wasn't BAD since it wasn't a pain to watch or anything, it just didn't end up doing anything at all and that's really what grounds it as a failure. the fact that i don't see the need to watch it, i mean.

so, hey, may as well properly talk about fall. parastye, mushishi, psycho-pass 2 and f/sn are all going to be quality shows, the latter two for production quality and the former two for... being great. psycho-pass was great but the second season is up in the air, so. change in studio and writers and all.

your lie in april is looking to be an anohana. it might be more than a decent watch, or it might be too annoying to watch. so much suffering. there's the two mappa shows, but garo is the one i'm more optimistic about because i vaguely remember something about interesting plot, and the new bahamut pv is a little... well. is it going to make sense at all?

shirobako is the new pa works show and it looks to be in good hands, but it doesn't sound like it'd actually be something to write home about so... solid watch? only if you really want to watch a lot of anime. there's also the two gundams, and i heard build fighters was actually pretty good? the main gundam looks like it has really spotty animation so i don't know what to think of it, and tomino said it's explicitly directed at kids. akatsuki no yona seems like a possibly interesting show? and there was another historical one that might be worthwhile but i forgot.

amagi, inou-battle, grisaia and sora no method look like they'll be the only interesting harem anime in a season full of harem anime. i'll probably sample all of them but the last one because it's too kawaii desu. it's by the kanon guy so it's not going to be boring, but, eh, who cares.

wixoss, chaika and log horizon were all Not Terrible. now they continue. i'm gonna try wixoss because i saw wixoss. i'm not gonna try the others because i didn't see the others. you lose nothing.

hunter x hunter guys? seven deadly sins is the new long running shounen and it's in good hands, so it MIGHT be decent. would have been a more confident recommendation if not for the pv which looks not so good for it.

god it's still not over. cross ange. if you like weird valvrave stuff? man let's talk about winter instead. yuri bear storms and assassination classrooms and durararas and culinary shafting.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I thought the music video was pretty great, it referenced a lot of things going far past the surface of "what non-anime watchers think anime is" and was at every point very very well animated and just gorgeous. More than a little confused as to why the "It Girl" is the only one that doesn't at all look 18 though...

disagree, i think five was a really useless character that only served to pad the middle section of the show. if they wanted to flesh out the institute thing they had endless other ways of doing so, and i'd argue that nothing of value was achieved with the whole institute plotpoint anyway.

no resonance with terror in resonance - it was empty and pointless. none of the themes force you to think about or confront them and none of the characters are relatable. i won't have anything to remember this show by other than pretty lights in a month or so. it wasn't a bad watch, but what's the point? it's so hollow and there's really no reason for me to recommend it to anyone. i thought it would've worked a lot better as a movie because then you might get a stronger memory of it without immersion breaks and you're much less likely to notice the flaws. "oh, watch this thriller movie with some themes sprinkled in, it's a pretty good movie" is something i can see myself saying about hypothetical movie-znt. "it was hollow, but it was a good watch" is literally what i think of disappearance and i appreciate that movie despite being 3 hours long. znt has a lot of fat to trim so it can do with less than that.

i'm gonna stress it again - znt wasn't BAD since it wasn't a pain to watch or anything, it just didn't end up doing anything at all and that's really what grounds it as a failure. the fact that i don't see the need to watch it, i mean.
Normally I'd just like a post and move on but that was a really good description of the show. I felt like it had a lot of potential and a really awesome story to work with but it fell short on so many levels.

xenu

Banned deucer.
how are there no posts about space dandy, 10/10 ending for a 10/10 show, probably ping pong's only contender for AOTY seeing as everything in the coming season is gonna be shit

i discussed dandy a lot with RODAN on irc this season, and yeah the second season was so much better than the first. the one about death and stuff was honestly my favourite episode of anime ever, but it was a bit too hit and miss (some poor episodes, though this season was a lot more hit than miss) for me to give it a 10/10 or even aots

my aots was barakamon btw i fucking love that show (still not a 10 tho)

RODAN

Banned deucer.
how are there no posts about space dandy, 10/10 ending for a 10/10 show, probably ping pong's only contender for AOTY seeing as everything in the coming season is gonna be shit
trust me, parasyte will be a srs contender for aoty if it is faithful

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
When are ppl gonna stop using aots (year which s etc) ~_~
More importantly when are ppl gonna stop using a pointless 10 scale

Last edited:
Fate stay night is starting tonight, i should finish fate/zero before though

Heard terraformars anime sucks, the story is about an expedition to conquer mars and i heard they skipped half the story and they started way after the start of the manga. It looked pretty good tbh.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Fate stay night is starting tonight, i should finish fate/zero before though

Heard terraformars anime sucks, the story is about an expedition to conquer mars and i heard they skipped half the story and they started way after the start of the manga. It looked pretty good tbh.
I waited soooo long for that.

terra formars is about cockroach men
They are trying to spread "life" with moss and roaches on mars and like 100yrs later they are ending up being some chimera-ant-like creatures, and i heard they skipped the first days of the expedition, which is pretty awful for the story

i've got a friend who read terra formars, loved it, and couldn't even get through the first episode just because of how censored it was

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Oh man the animation quality in Fate/Stay Night is amazing also Rin looks adorable. Fight scene was super high quality as always from ufotable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)