XY OU Sunny Fire! OU Mega Houndoom Sun Team.

太陽サンサン熱血パワー!キュアサニー!
Taiyō sansan nekketsu pawā! Kyua Sanī!
The brilliant sun, hot-blooded power! Cure Sunny!

Hello everyone. My name is Kusanagi Dark and this is my second Gen VI RMT. If you saw my previous RMT You may remember that I mentioned that I used to play Sun during Gen V, going as far as to reach Number 2 in the Pokemon Showdown Server. Unfortunately I never made a RMT for my Gen V Sun Team, something I still regret to this day...That's why I decided to start from Scratch and try to make Sun viable once agan in XY OU. I still have a LONG way to go,but I think I've finally managed to put together a decent team so...Let's take a look at it!

The Sun Abusers.

Ninetales (F) @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hypnosis

A Sun Team is not a Sun Team without Ninetales. I went for a simple offensive set as opposed to my Specially Defensive Set from Gen V because there are no more Weather Wars going on, so I no longer need to constantly switch in on Politoed. I run a modest Nature because Ninetales needs all the power she can get and a 252+ Fire Blast under the sun is not something you want to switch into. Solarbeam allows me to severely damage some Bulky Waters like Slowbro, Rotom-W and Azumarril. Fnally, I run BOTH, Will-O-Whisp and Hypnosis so that she can provide some Support by Burning Tyranitar and Hippodown on the switch our outspending and burning Mamoswine, Defensive Landorus-T, Bisharp, and Azumarril, Bisharp (Surviving Aqua Jet thanks to the sun) While Hypnosis is there as a last resort to buy me some time or for when I need to prevent Stealth Rock AT ALL COSTS...Unfortunately, apart from it missing very often...When it DOES Hit...The Pokemon is only put to sleep for one turn...Call it Karma. All in all, Ninetales is a Good All-Around Pokemon that supports the Team by setting up Sun, Punching holes on the opponent's team and spreading status.

Houndoom (M) @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Taunt

Why Mega Houndoom instead of Mega Charizard-Y you ask? Well, I wanted to try something different and Mega Houndoom has some things going for him that Mega Charizard doesn't. For example, Flash Fire allows me to switch in on a predicted Fire move and grab a boost before Mega Evolving. Fire Blast as my main STAB that can achieve ridiculous levels of power under Sun. Dark Pulse is my secondary STAB and is used to hit Latios and Latias, Gengar and mew and, thanks to the Steel Type no longer resisting Dark, it does decent damage against Heatran. Now comes the fun party. Nasty Plot allows Houndoom to boost his already high Special Attack to obscene levels levels,enough to 2HKO Chansey in the Sun. Finally, Taunt turns Houndoom into a decent Stall Breaker since he has no trouble getting past common stall Pokemon like Slowbro, Gliscor, Mew, Amoongus, and even Chansey and Mega Venusaur when Sun is up. Another advantage of running Taunt is that I can prevent common Stealth Rock leads like Defensive Landorus and Specially Defensive Heatran from setting up. And speaking of Specially Defensive Heatran, Houndoom can beat him 1-on-1 with a combination of Taunt, Flash Fire and Nasty Plot, 2HKOing him with +2 Dark

Victreebel (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- SolarBeam
- Weather Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Now that Sun is no longer permanent, I can't waste turns setting up with Growth. That's why I went for Victreebel instead of Venusaur as my Clorophyll Sweeper, using an All-Out Ataccking set with a Modest Nature to clean up late game all the holes that Ninetales and Houndoom make on the opposing team. I run Solarbeam instead of Giga Drain because I need all the power I can get considering Victreebel's mediocre Special Attack. Sludge Bomb is my secondary STAB and hits Fairies hard. Weather Ball is a very Powerful Fire Type move under Sun that completely Incinerates any Ferrothorn and Skarmory that think they can wall me and also is my most powerful move against things like Gengar. Finally Hidden Power Ice is for Landorus, Landorus-T, Garchomp and Dragonite. I'm aware that this Victreebel is almost useless without the Sun but the plan is to keep him alive for as as long as I can, sacrifice Ninetales for 8 more Turns of Sun and let him finish the Job once Heatran, Tyranitar, Mega Pinsir and Talonflame are gone. He is my Trump card.

The Support.

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 152 HP / 252 Def / 104 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Speaking of Talonflame and Mega Pinsir, this is my answer to both of them. There are many, many Pokemon that threaten my main Sun abuser and it's Landorus-T's job to keep them in line. The 104 Speed EV's give me enough Speed to outspeed things like Defensive variants of Rotom-W, other Defensive Landorus-T and Mandibuzz. Earthquake is a strong STAB, even without investment thanks to Landorus-T's naturally high attack stat. Stone Edge is there to counter against Talonflame, Mega Pinsir and Mega Charizard-X and Stealth Rock provides me with some Insurance against them in case he is taken down. Finally, U-Turn is there for Scouting and provide momentum since my Sun Abusers are extremely Frail.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 176 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Discharge
- Roost
- Defog
- Heat Wave

Zapdos seems like another unconventional Choice, but believe me, he works wonders under the Sun. I went for a Specially Defensive spread to check Landorus, Mega Macnetric, Latios and Latias, with 64 Def to still be able to Counter Mega Pinsir, Azumarril and Talonflame Locked on Brave Bird. I run Discharge instead of Thunderbolt since the 30% chance of Paralysis makes the slightly lower power worth it. Roost is there to keep him alive, specially since his Stealth Rock Weakness makes his Job as a Defoger harder than it already is. Finally Heat Wave is there so that Zapdos can act as a Counter to Ferrothorn, Skarmory and Scizor and to surprise Pokemon like Mamoswine and Excadrill on the Switch. Also, it gets a nice 50% boost on the Sun.

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Scizor, the most recent addition to my team after testing a long list of Pokemon. Including Conkledurr, Sylveon and Swasbuck. Scizor's role is to patch some Weaknesses. The first of them being my complete lack of a competent physical attacker and, most notably, Fairies since Victreebel's Sludge Bomb is not always enough to OHKO them. Bullet Punch covers not only the previously mentioned Fairies, but also acts as a strong priority, something I was lacking too. U-Turn provides Momentum just like Landorus-T with the added benefit of getting STAB and, since Scizor is very slow, gives me a chance to send in my Sun Abusers unscratched. Superpower is to be used in case of a predicted Heatran switch-in and Pursuit is used to remove Latios and Latias from the Game. Also, Sczor is a good lure to fire type Attacks so that I can grab a boost with Houndoom

THREAT LIST

Even with Landorus and Zapdos there to check it, Talonflame is a huge Threat to my team if not handled carefully. Greninja too gaves me trouble since it requires my to do a chain of switches, starting with Ninetales to reduce the power of Hydro Pump, then going into Scizor and then Zapdos in case of Hidden Power Ice. I can handdle it but it ussually leave my team heavily damaged. Offensive variants of Heatran with Earth Power are also problematic because my only answer to them is Landorus-T and he is already too busy taking care of many, MANY other things. Stealth Rock leads are also a nightmare because I can't always Taunt them and, in the case of Garchomp, I CAN'T Prevent it from using Stelath Rock on the first turn, immediately putting me at a disadvantage since getting rid of Stealth Rock with Defog is not an easy task for Zapdos who sometimes dies before he even has the chance to use defog...Specially against stall. And speaking of Stall, there is also Cosmic PowerU/Calm Mind Clafable, Gliscor, Mega Venusaur and Crocune. All in all, I can handle most threats but I wish I could do it without receiving heavy damage in the process since Clever Switching could mean all that effort ended up being for naught...

REPLAYS

Now that you know the team, I think it'll be better if I show it in action. Also, I'm using a different Username in Showdown because I wanted to start from scratch with that team.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-167661982 VS Hyper Offense.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-167660147 VS Stall.

CLOSING WORDS

Sun has always been seen as an inferior option over Rain or Sand. And now that weather is no longer permanent Ninetales seems to be doomed to rot in the lower tiers where it can't even use it's Drought ability. Even Politoed has been seeing more use lately. But, just as rain managed to make a small come back, I hope more players realize that Sun still has many things to offer and I'll be sticking with it and trying them all.

Hey, nice team! Here are my suggestions:

Thunderbolt over Discharge on Zapdos. The 30% paralyze chance on Discharge may be nice, but Thunderbolt allows you to score more OHKOs and 2HKOs using Zapdos. The power is necessary in some situations.

Next, Houndoom is outclassed by Zard Y in OU. While it is faster and Zard Y has more weaknesses and doesn't get Flash Fire, Zard Y has one huge thing going for it -Sun. This allows Zard Y to become not only a special sweeper, but also a secondary sun setter, which you need as this team falls apart when Ninetales is gone. I also see they you lose to special stall. Well, Zard Y is an amazing Drought Wallbreaker. Try this set:

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Hope it helps!
-PK

Hey, nice team! Here are my suggestions:

Thunderbolt over Discharge on Zapdos. The 30% paralyze chance on Discharge may be nice, but Thunderbolt allows you to score more OHKOs and 2HKOs using Zapdos. The power is necessary in some situations.

Next, Houndoom is outclassed by Zard Y in OU. While it is faster and Zard Y has more weaknesses and doesn't get Flash Fire, Zard Y has one huge thing going for it -Sun. This allows Zard Y to become not only a special sweeper, but also a secondary sun setter, which you need as this team falls apart when Ninetales is gone. I also see they you lose to special stall. Well, Zard Y is an amazing Drought Wallbreaker. Try this set:

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

Hope it helps!
-PK
The problem with Zard Y is that when it sets sun up, the sun is only for 5 turns opposed to 8 and bringing in Ninetails will no longer reset it to 8. With sun support, Mega Houndoom is faster and more powerful factoring in Flash Fire so i wouldnt say its outclassed by Zard Y.

For Zapdos I actually prefer volt switch over discharge and thunderbolt to keep momentum, which is especially important on weather teams, but i guess this comes down to personal preference. Ill at least say thunderbolt over discharge cuz the extra 20% to paralyze really isnt worth it and you want to hit talonflame and mega pinsir hard if they choose to stay in.

I might even use hidden power ice over heat wave on zapdos because you already have so many fire moves, but then you couldnt defog on ferrothron i guess.

Thanks for the Feedback. I'm not so sure about Mega Charizard Y. I tried using a Mixed set with Earthquake and Dragon Dance to deal with Heatran but the lack of recovery meant that I couln't switch it very often when Stealth Rock is up and, like I said before, Zapdos Struggles to keep them off the field. The Standar Mega Charizard Y with Roost was a little better and Focus Blast does decent Damage against Heatran. But I have no way to get past Chansey so...Houndoom's Taunt was Greatly Missed, specially because Stall teams made my life miserable.

As for Zapdos. Volt Switch sounds like a Good Option to form a Volt-Turn core with Landorus-T and Scizor but I still need to test it. Also, I would like to know exactly what OHKO's I am missing with Discharge instead of Thunderbolt.

he did not invest 64 spatk in Zapdos so a Thunderbolt can't OHKO Mega Pinsir
btw i see your team has a huge weakness to not only Greninja, but also Keldeo, since Specs Pump under sun still hurt your team a lot. Zapdos cần't check Talon well, especially under sun and Houndoom is a risky switch-in so I would suggest using Latias over Zapdos since it also has Defog, nó SR weakness, cần check Lando well and many thing that your Bird Check, as well as Keldeo, with Greninja you can predict an Ice Beam then switch to Scizor and Bullet Punch so it's not much of a problem i think but watch out for Hp Fire lol

Latias is my favourite mon in my BW sun team :D

I tried using Latias in place of Zapdos and even tought it made it easier dealing with Terrakion and Garchomp leads...That left me with a HUGE Thundurus Weakness. When I'm attempting a Victreebel sweep, Thundurus ALWAYS comes in to try and paralyze me with Thunder Wave. Zapdos was my answer to him before trying out Latias so...I think I'll go back to him...

Actually, Latias doesn't afraid anything from Thundy except for NP Hp ice set, which you can add a bit more on spdef to take hit better. I don't think a paralyzed Latias is much of a problem....

This is a pretty good sun team. I just have a few recommended changes to try to improve it a little more. First, adjust the EVs a tad. Give Ninetales the missing 4 in either Defense or Special Defense, and same with Victreebel. Also, change 4 HP EVs on Zapdos to something else (this allows it to take less damage from Stealth Rock and other residual damage). Onto the main team. I am glad to see that you have answers to Tyranitar and Talonflame, as these are huge threats to Sun teams. Choice Scarf Heatran (which has been getting more popular) also can beat this team nicely if Houndoom has already mega evolved. To stop its rampage, I would recomend replacing with Scizor with your own Choice Scarf Heatran. An opposing Heatran can no longer afford to spam Fire Moves, as they might can you an advantage. This also checks Mega Pinsir and Talonflame, and can beat Fairies just like Scizor. Here is the set I would use:

Heatran (F) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast

Other than that, minimize the attack IVs on Ninetales, Houndoom, Zapdos, Heatran, and Victreebel. Great team!

I haven't run into many Choice Scarf Heatrans lately mostly because I struggle getting past 1600 on the ladder. But, Even tough Heatran sounds like a good option for the Team...I'm not sure about him. The main reason I run Scizor is because I don't have any physical attacker other than Landorus, and even I use him as a defensive check to Tyranitar, Talonflame, Pinsir, Mega Charizard X etc.

Another Issue I have with this team is the lack of Speed...That was another reason I choose Scizor for his priority so he can Clean in case both, Houndoom and Victreebel go down.

Also, let me add some things to my Threat list. Lead Garchomp, Terrakion, Breloom and Specially Mamoswine make my life miserable because they can ALWAYS Set up Stealth Rock and that forces me to send in Zapdos to use Defog. I would greatly appreciate a good Anti lead who can Break their sashes with Fake out and kill them BEFORE they can set up Stelath Rock. or a fast Taunt user...That's why I've been considering replacing Scizor with Thundurus but I haven't tested it yet.

Fast Fake Out user? Can outspeed all of the above leads except Terrakion (speed ties with)? Works with sun? Try lead Infernape. It can break all of the above pokemon's sashes and kill them with Close Combat or a fire move, except for Garchomp. As for a fast Taunt user, Thundurus is probably best.

Fast Fake Out user? Can outspeed all of the above leads except Terrakion (speed ties with)? Works with sun? Try lead Infernape. It can break all of the above pokemon's sashes and kill them with Close Combat or a fire move, except for Garchomp. As for a fast Taunt user, Thundurus is probably best.
Right now I'm testing Adamant Focus Sash Weavile. He performs decently enough. Low Kick can OHKO Tyranitar, Heatran and Terrakion while Ice Shard takes care of Garchomp. Also, Knock Off and Pickpocket are a very Annoying combination for getting rid of my Opponent's items when Focus Sash is Broken. But Infernape too sounds tempting.

js but pickpocket only works when the user is hit by a contact move, and I doubt weavile is going to survive one, even if it's NVE.

I would likee to update my Threatlist with the following Pokemon:

Azumarril: This is the only reason I'm thinking about Switching Houndoom for Mega Charizard Y...Houndoom is like some kind of Azumarril magnet. Everytime I attemp to set up, Azumarril is always there to make my life miserable, forcing me to first go into Ninetales to reduce Aqua Jet power, THEN Landorus-T for intimidate and THEN U-Turn into Victreebel...As you can see, it's not exactly the most efficient answer to him. I can't send in Victreebel because of it's frailty and the rick of Knock Off...Aother Issue I have whe I try to deal with him.

Heatran: A Threat to any Sun team. My main problem is the fact that once Heatran Switchs in. The match is practically over since I can't prevent him from using Stealth Rock...And like I said it before, Zapdos struggles to get rid of them. Also, My only real answer to Heatran is Landorus-T and...Well...Heatran can just Protect and Switch Out...

Greninja: Just like Azumarril Greninja is a Pokemon that requires a lot of Switching fromme to actually get past it. First Ninetales to set up sun and take the Hydro Pump and then Victreebell to scare him off. Zapdos can't really counter him because even with the specially defensive EV Spread, Ice Beam still 2HKO's.

Mega Venusaur: The lack of Flying and Psychic type moves in my team makes dealing with Mega Venusaur extremely difficult. Even when Sun is up he doesn't take enough damage from Fire Type moves thanks to Thick Fact and Scizor can't really do much against him. Also, he can take advantage of my own Sun to heal 2/3 of it's health with Synthesis...

Those are the ones I noticed the most during play today. I'll keep you guys updated.

Oh, and also. I tried Choice Scarf Heatran and Focus Sash Weavile. Weavile was a Good Anti-Lead but that only made my Fairy Weakness even worse. As for Heatran...I don't really Choice Pokemon because I need to switch them constantly and, guess what? I can't because of Stealth Rock...

Thanks for the Feedback. I'm not so sure about Mega Charizard Y. I tried using a Mixed set with Earthquake and Dragon Dance to deal with Heatran but the lack of recovery meant that I couln't switch it very often when Stealth Rock is up and, like I said before, Zapdos Struggles to keep them off the field. The Standar Mega Charizard Y with Roost was a little better and Focus Blast does decent Damage against Heatran. But I have no way to get past Chansey so...Houndoom's Taunt was Greatly Missed, specially because Stall teams made my life miserable.

As for Zapdos. Volt Switch sounds like a Good Option to form a Volt-Turn core with Landorus-T and Scizor but I still need to test it. Also, I would like to know exactly what OHKO's I am missing with Discharge instead of Thunderbolt.
I especially like Zard Y and I'd definitely reccomend it. If you want to keep roost, then i'd say replace focus miss w/HP ground. It's better than EQ against Megazard X.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)