Garchomp (Revamp) (QC 0/2)Writing

So yeah, Garchomp:

(I work from my iPhone and idk how to copy/paste images sry)

Overview:
-High Base Attack: 130
-Great Speed tier of 102 to get the jump on Mega Zards, Lando, M-Garde, M-Cham and more.
-Can reliably get up SR as a Lead, with Sash to guarantee SR against faster mons or Rocky Helmet to punish Physical Attackers like Terrakion.
-'ChainChomp' is an amazing lure, using Fire Blast to blow away common switchins like Skarmory and Ferrothorn, clearing a way for Physical Sweepers to Sweep, while still setting up SR.
-Can run Scarf to get the jump on more stuff like Keldeo, Terrak, Lati@s, Thund, Ninja and DD Zard-X after a boost.

Cons:
-More or less walled and beaten by Clef, Hippo, Lando-T and defensive Steels (unless you use ChainChomp)
-102 is a nice speed tier but still behind a lot of common stuff such as the aforementioned mons: most of whom are Special Attackers who ignore Rocky Helmet.

Sets:
SR Lead:
Ability: Rough Skin
Item: Focus Sash/Rocky Helmet/Lum Berry/Life Orb
Moveset:
-Stealth Rock
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Fire Blast/Swords Dance
EVs: 252 Atk, 4 SpA, 252 Spd, Naive Nature or 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spd, Jolly Nature.

SR cause Garchomp makes a solid lead and SR setter.
Rage and EQ are primary STABs that hit a lot of mons in the OU metagame.
Fire Blast allows you to lure and kill steels, created the infamous ChainChomp when paired with Life Orb.
Swords Dance allows you to set up and do damage, allows Garchomp to lategame clean against certain teams.
Dual Chop is incase you want to break through Sash on certain leads like Breloom.

Max Atk for damage, max Spd to outrun stuff like M-Zard, Lando etc and wreck them.
SpA and nature to hit max Speed, while still putting a little more power behind FB. Can be changed to Jolly if not running FB.

Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
Item: Choice Scarf
Moveset:
-Outrage
-Rock Slide/Stone Edge
-Earthquake
-Fire Blast/Dual Chop/Fire Fang
EVs: 252 Atk, 4 SpA, 252 Spd, Naive or 4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spd, Jolly Nature.

Rage and EQ for primary STABs, as before hit a large chunk of the Meta
Edge/Slide for beating stuff like Zard-Y, Toge, almost anything that resists the STABs.
Fire Blast/Fang wrecks Skarm and other Steels that would utterly stop this set. Dual Chop is nice for revenge killing cause you can break Subs/Sash, etc.

Max Speed to catch the maximum amount of stuff, Max Atk to wreck the maximum amount of Stuff. Nature hits Max Speed and gives FB a boost if running it, otherwise Jolly>Naive.

Last edited:

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
A few things:
The title should be QC 0/3, not 2.
Also, your formatting is off - check the 6th gen analysis format or look at a competed one.
Also, you don't start writing the analysis until you get 2 checks.

I'm kinda busy with school and all, plus my mom locked me out of my computer so that's why this looks shabby, sorry. Still calculating EV spreads against common stuff and working out what holds out against Chomp before I put it in the analysis, however Term Break starts tomorrow so I should get it done soon.

A few things:
The title should be QC 0/3, not 2.
Also, your formatting is off - check the 6th gen analysis format or look at a competed one.
Also, you don't start writing the analysis until you get 2 checks.
I know, just been busy and kinda rushed this up cause I figured I can edit it as I go on (I've been promising to do it for a week). I'll try and get the major edits out of the way today/tomorrow.

-More or less walled and beaten by Clefable, Hippowdon, and Steels (unless you use ChainChomp)
Ferrothorn, Mega Scizor, and Skarmory are the only three steel types that have a shot at taking on Garchomp, and all of them can be maimed by Fire Blast. You also forgot Landorus-T, which only loses to Chain Chomp. And to be clear, Life Orb Chain Chomp needs to be mentioned somewhere, as that is probably its best set at the moment, all of its other sets are really easy to handle in this current metagame.

replace fire blast for fire fang and have it be adamant
252 Atk Garchomp Fire Fang vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Mega Scizor: 180-212 (52.3 - 61.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Garchomp Fire Fang vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Ferrothorn: 188-224 (53.4 - 63.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Garchomp Fire Fang vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Skarmory: 90-106 (26.9 - 31.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO (3HKo if adamant)

except for skarmory fire fang does really well and has no need to cut special defense. and these were run with a naive nature adamant does a lot better.

Last edited:

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Except Fire Blast hits all 3 of these much harder...

4 SpA Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 176 SpD Mega Scizor: 224-268 (65.3 - 78.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (this is the most SpD MZor will ever run to my knowledge)
4 SpA Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 204-240 (57.9 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 176-208 (52.6 - 62.2%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Hitting Skarmory is pretty much the entire point of Fire coverage, so you kinda want that last 2HKO

And you also take Iron Barbs Damage hitting Ferrothorn with Fire Fang so that's another disadvantage of running it.

Besides, why is a SpD drop such a bad thing, especially on the Sash Lead set?

Also +Speed is required on Garchomp otherwise you get outsped by Landorus-I if sash lead, as well as +Speed base 100s (granted most of them run +Offenses but still, better safe than sorry), and if scarfed you get outsped by Scarf Lando-T and Kyu-B which is not a good idea either.

So in summary, Fire Blast is just way better than Fire Fang in pretty much every way, in fact I'd much rather use Fire Blast with a -SpA nature than go anywhere near Fire Fang.

Except Fire Blast hits all 3 of these much harder...

4 SpA Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 248 HP / 176 SpD Mega Scizor: 224-268 (65.3 - 78.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (this is the most SpD MZor will ever run to my knowledge)
4 SpA Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 168 SpD Ferrothorn: 204-240 (57.9 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Skarmory: 176-208 (52.6 - 62.2%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Also +Speed is required on Garchomp otherwise you get outsped by Landorus-I if sash lead, as well as +Speed base 100 (granted most of them run +Offenses but still), and if scarfed you get outsped by Scarf Lando-T and Kyu-B which is not a good idea either

So in summary, Fire Blast is just way better than Fire Fang in pretty much every way
and why is a SpD drop such a bad thing, especially on the Sash Lead set?
i use the rocky helmet set to counter the Mega kangaskhan and i find it works better than a sash, also those 3 are physical so the helmet counters those a bit. and if you don't have the speed scarf it or switch it's that simple

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
i use the rocky helmet set to counter the Mega kangaskhan and i find it works better than a sash, also those 3 are physical so the helmet counters those a bit. and if you don't have the speed scarf it or switch it's that simple
Mega kanghaskhan is ubers, not OU .-.

No, you are not allowed to bring mega kanghaskhan to an ou game. It just doesn't work - have you really seen mega kanghaskhan in ou within the last year? It was banned about a week after x and y came out.

Edit: considering you're mentioning mega Kanga in an ou analysis, have you even played x and y ou? Just curious.
yes but i've said ou and a lot of people bring 3 ubers. you can never be to over prepared

I'm working on it.......been away for a few days, but did some notes on paper so not a waste

ChainChomp I feel should really serve as a Lead, as it can slot SR into its set easily enough and adds to the surprise factor. I'm 50/50 about giving it its own set, as I've already slashed LO and FB on lead Chomp and mentioned ChainChomp in that analysis.

Updated the Scarf set with checking DD Zard-X, plus other DDers like Tar.
Slashed Fire Fang with Fire Blast on Scarf set.
Added an EV spread to Scarf set and info to both.
Will make a separate ChainChomp set if enough people ask me to.

Lastly, Ruyen, cartridge play and PS! are remarkably different as PS! actively bans you from bringing banned mons and items to games, there are no such restrictions in cartridge play. So firstly, do not discuss Ubers here, secondly testing sets on PS! for cartridge play is self defeating as you will be using those sets in a different environment and vice versa (friendly advice)

As a model, a set should look like this:

name: Stealth Rock Lead
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Dragon Claw / Outrage
move 4: Fire Blast / Swords Dance
ability: Rough Skin
item: Lum Berry / Rocky Helmet
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Naive / Jolly

name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Outrage / Dragon Claw
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Dragon Claw
move 4: Fire Blast / Stone Edge
ability: Rough Skin
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Naive / Jolly

Obviously add Life Orb Chain Chomp, Mega Chain Chomp as separate sets, ask QC on Swords Dance and Choice Band.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)