XY UU "Nothing But Power" (Double Scarf VoltTurn + Dragons hehe bwoi)

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Whats up Smogon this is my first somewhat successful UU team in XY that really just came about as an accident. Initially I just picked some of my favorite UU Pokemon to mess around with in the tier and then filled in with support Pokemon. For example, I really wanted to use Hydreigon and Jirachi in the competitive scene regardless of the uncanny coincidence that both are S tier threats in the tier.

The team is named loosely after the first thing an opponent from a Facebook league said to me once he saw the team preview. Unfortunately I ended up losing that one by a hair but I still think that's a pretty accurate summary.

upload_2014-9-24_16-30-51.png

My current ladder ranking as I'm making this thread, really just showing off the gxe, my actual Elo peak was around 1680. A better/more dedicated player than me could probably top the ladder with this team. More of a tournament player nowadays anyway.

Teambuilding process

I started the team off with a simple offensive concept of Hydreigon and Jirachi because I really wanted to use them as an offensive core to check each other's counters.

As I was scrolling through the UU list on PS! I came across Mienshao and decided to use him as my main physical attacker and Scarfer, since Fighting is such a good offensive type right now seeing how Mew, Victini, Togekiss AND Slowbro have all left UU around the same time, and Mienshao was among the most solid choices for an offensive Fighting type, or at least it was a very safe choice.
At the time I was actually running Offensive CM Rachi with Moonblast just for kicks, but then it occurred to me that Double Scarf could be a really neat concept in UU (I've seen it make quite a splash in OU starting with Tele's Balance team feat. Scarf Latios and Scarf Terrakion).
The combination of Scarf Mienshao's crushing Reckless Hi Jump Kick and Scarf Jirachi's Iron Head that flinches4dayz along with U-turn on both to preserve momentum would become the crux of this team, basically creating hell for most offensive teams on the ladder, and this was also kind of the turning point of this team from being just a fun team to something I could actually use in higher caliber play.

I take that last statement back, this is where I decided I wanted to be a savage with this team. I needed something of a bulky pivot Pokemon that could also break down bulky Water types like Suicune and just hit hard in general. Mega Ampharos seemed to fit the bill perfectly. It's strong, bulky, and has a nice and slow Volt Switch to compliment my existing U-turn core and allow the frailer components of my team, namely Mienshao, to basically come in safely and usually nab a kill. Needless to say Mega Amphy and it's hair are great.

At this point I just kind of filled in the last two slots with support Pokemon that I thought would put the "balance" in balanced offense. Swampert was my main physical tank and is arguably the best Rocker in UU, and a team like this really likes Rocks. I added Florges as my special wall that could also switch into Fighting moves that I would otherwise be pretty weak to, countering opposing Hydreigon and being able to Wish Pass and heal status conditions such as burn was also pretty neat.

Eventually something had to change because I was getting beat back and forth by stall, I also lacked a real set up and sweep win condition to seal up games against balanced and defensive teams alike.
In the end I decided Florges was the most expendable member of the team and I added Swords Dance Lucario in order to really put the pressure on stall and have a strong win condition. To make up for the loss of Florges I gave Swampert more SDef EVs to make it more of a mixed wall, as it alone represents the team's defensive backbone now, which is really all it needs anyway. Spikes hurt but overall the team isn't really hazard weak so I didn't bother wasting a teamslot on a Defog or Rapid Spin user. This is the current version of the team.

Closer look at the team:

Holy Sheep (Ampharos) @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 192 HP / 252 SpA / 64 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast

A main component of the VoltTurn core and the main offensive pivot for the team, being able to take most hits pretty well, hit back hard and allow a teammate to come in safely via a slow Volt Switch. The EVs allow Mega Amphy to outspeed Relaxed Swampert after Mega Evolving, the rest invested into power and bulk. Needs max SAtk to do as much damage to fat Pokemon like Suicune, Mega Blastoise, Tentacruel and Forretress as possible. Focus Blast hits Snorlax and Umbreon hard as otherwise they switch in fairly safely. Also a decent switch in to other Jirachi, Crobat and I guess Aerodactyl can't do too much to it without Earthquake either.

Sifu (Mienshao) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

The first Choice Scarfer on my team, Jolly nature and max Speed is used to outspeed stuff like Haxorus at +1 and other Scarfers like opposing Jirachi. Hi Jump Kick is the main STAB to break frail stuff, U-turn compliments the ongoing VoltTurn theme and preserves offensive momentum. Knock Off and Stone Edge fill the last two slots as optimal coverage moves to catch Ghost types wanting to switch into Hi Jump Kick and Crobat respectively. Knock Off is a pretty safe move to spam in general as it comes with the benefit of removing the item of most switch ins or if the opponent decides to stay in. I put the remaining 4 EVs in Def rather than HP so my total HP is odd and therefore I won't die after 2 Hi Jump Kick crashes from full.

Goin4hax (Jirachi) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Iron Head
- Trick
- Fire Punch

Second Choice Scarfer on my team, again using the standard spread with Jolly for maximum power and max Speed because I don't want to deal with getting outsped by opposing Scarf Rachi or things like Scarf Darmanitan. Iron Head is the main STAB to hit Florges mainly, as it walls pretty much most of my team and Jirachi is a surefire counter to it, also 60% flinch chance is stupid good needless to say. U-turn is, well U-turn I don't think I have to explain it a third time. Fire Punch catches stuff like Forretress and Cobalion on the switch and allows me to hurt other Jirachi, the sweet burn chance is also cool. Trick lets me cripple walls that are troublesome to my team as well as ruin shenanigans like Harvest Trevenant and CroCune while at the same time letting me get rid of my Scarf whenever I don't actually need it, such as against stall, and possibly stealing something like a Leftovers to heal off hazard damage and really make this thing unbearable for stall.

Fatass (Swampert) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 240 HP / 92 Def / 176 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Protect

Not much to say here, Swampert takes the hits and sets up the Rocks. The EVs give me balanced bulk on both sides while hitting a Leftovers number. Earthquake is the main STAB move to hit frail offensive Pokemon and prevent them from setting up. Scald is my secondary STAB that hits things like Forretress and Donphan on their weaker Special Defense and can also fish for burns. Relaxed nature ensures neither STAB is unnecessarily weakened.
Protect may seem like a strange choice on Swampert, but it's actually a pretty cool way to scout for random Grass moves, status moves, and get extra Leftovers recovery. Using Protect and my EV spread actually gives Swampert a pretty decent chance of not being 2HKOed by Modest 252 Life Orb Hydreigon's Draco Meteor. That's some bulk. But best of all, I get to completely screw over opposing Scarf Mienshaos (huge threat to my team) expecting to get the 2HKO with Hi Jump Kick on the switch for free and automatically puts them in range of +0 ESpeed from Lucario. Such a development can save games.

Muh Sweep (Lucario) @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- ExtremeSpeed
- Close Combat
- Iron Tail

One of the best if not the best set up sweeper in UU. Lucario is my main endgame Pokemon and my primary tool for pressuring stall. An Adamant nature with max Atk is best for giving Lucario devastating wallbreaking power after an SD, with Close Combat being the main STAB for the job. ExtremeSpeed helps Lucario sweep against more offensive teams and is my only source of priority on the team, which can sometimes really come in clutch for revenge killing frail threats like Mienshao in particular.
Iron Tail may initially seem inferior to Bullet Punch due to it's lack of priority and awful accuracy, but the superior power still justifies it's use. Crunch is also not as needed due to Mew and Slowbro leaving the tier.
Doing as much as a SE Ice Punch, after 2 switch ins to Stealth Rock a +2 Iron Tail will OHKO even the bulkiest of Nidoqueen. In addition, Iron Tail OHKOs Bold Florges at +0 while +2 Bullet Punch isn't a guaranteed OHKO. Specially Defensive Sableye, usually a fairly optimal Lucario switch in, has an 87% chance to be OHKOed at by a +0 Iron Tail after Stealth Rocks. The standard Trevenant is easily OHKOed by +2 Iron Tail, a feat Bullet Punch cannot match.

Latios a shit (Hydreigon) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Taunt
- Dark Pulse
- Roost

Hydreigon is blessed with good stats, ability and offensive typing, and is a great help to the team along with Ampharos to help break down physical walls for the rest of the team. The EVs and Nature are pretty standard, max Speed to ensure I outspeed +0 Haxorus and max SAtk to hit as hard as possible, more bulk wasn't really necessary since I run Roost. Draco Meteor is the primary STAB that hits stupid hard while Dark Pulse hits everything else that may resist Draco, smacking Jirachi in particular.
Taunt, similar to Protect on Swampert, is kind of a dark horse option on Hydreigon but actually makes it an excellent offensive stallbreaker due to it's combination of raw power, decent bulk and access to reliable recovery to outlast opponents Taunted out of their own recovery, examples being Hippowdon, Cresselia (if you run Moonblast fuck you), Sableye, Suicune, and even Blissey! If I'm feeling real I can actually stay in on Florges with Hydreigon and prevent it from passing a Wish before switching into Jirachi. Taunt is also my only way of preventing hazards from being set up on my side of the field, and I generally don't miss the coverage a 3rd attack could have added, Dragon/Dark dual STABs alone covers plenty.

Thanks for taking a look at the team! [:

Last edited:
Hey, this looks like an ok team on paper, but I have a few suggestions.

First off, Iron Tail is really mediocre on Lucario; the power is only really useful for Fairy-types such as Aromatisse and Granbull, and the accuracy makes it not worth it, and generally inferior to other moves. As for what to replace it with, I would reccomend either using Ice Punch or Earthquake over it. Ice Punch lets you lure in Gligar, while Earthquake lets you hit Chandelure and more bulky variants of Jirachi; both options also hit the Nidos for super effective damage, but if you run Earthquake I would reccomend going with a Jolly nature, to outspeed Timid Chandelure and Nidoking.

Second off, I would reccomend changing Protect on Swampert to Roar. While Protect seems good on paper for reasons you've stated, Roar stops late-game set ups and also prevents Florges, Umbreon, etc. from getting Wish recovery towards themselves. With that being said, I would also reccomend changing your spread 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Atk. This lets Swampert hit a Lefties number, with the rest dumped in attack to give EQ a little extra oomph.

Lastly, while Taunt does seem cool on Hydreigon, I would reccomend replacing it with Superpower, as while you do lose out on being able to stall out the threats you mentioned, you're able to kill Blissey while at the same time not being extreme Lucario bait. With Superpower, a spread of 56 Atk / 200 SpA / 252 Speed so that Hydreigon kills Blissey with a Superpower after a Draco Meteor.

Hope I helped!

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
EVs: 56 Atk / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Roost
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Superpower

Swampert @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Roar

Lucario @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (Adamant if using Ice Punch)
- Swords Dance
- ExtremeSpeed
- Close Combat
- Earthquake / Ice Punch

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
Hey, this looks like an ok team on paper, but I have a few suggestions.

First off, Iron Tail is really mediocre on Lucario; the power is only really useful for Fairy-types such as Aromatisse and Granbull, and the accuracy makes it not worth it, and generally inferior to other moves. As for what to replace it with, I would reccomend either using Ice Punch or Earthquake over it. Ice Punch lets you lure in Gligar, while Earthquake lets you hit Chandelure and more bulky variants of Jirachi; both options also hit the Nidos for super effective damage, but if you run Earthquake I would reccomend going with a Jolly nature, to outspeed Timid Chandelure and Nidoking.

Second off, I would reccomend changing Protect on Swampert to Roar. While Protect seems good on paper for reasons you've stated, Roar stops late-game set ups and also prevents Florges, Umbreon, etc. from getting Wish recovery towards themselves. With that being said, I would also reccomend changing your spread 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Atk. This lets Swampert hit a Lefties number, with the rest dumped in attack to give EQ a little extra oomph.

Lastly, while Taunt does seem cool on Hydreigon, I would reccomend replacing it with Superpower, as while you do lose out on being able to stall out the threats you mentioned, you're able to kill Blissey while at the same time not being extreme Lucario bait. With Superpower, a spread of 56 Atk / 200 SpA / 252 Speed so that Hydreigon kills Blissey with a Superpower after a Draco Meteor.

Hope I helped!

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
EVs: 56 Atk / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Roost
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Superpower

Swampert @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 240 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Roar

Lucario @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature (Adamant if using Ice Punch)
- Swords Dance
- ExtremeSpeed
- Close Combat
- Earthquake / Ice Punch
Hey man thanks for the rate I'll definetley be trying your changes. Though I am a little concerned that making Pert fully physically defensive and removing Iron Tail on Lucario leaves me a lot more open to Florges, but I'll try the changes nonetheless. Also, why Hasty Hydreigon?

Hasty Hydreigon is used so you can switch into Chandelure and Houndoom easier, although Roost lets you switch in more than once anyway.

Also, you can try Bullet Punch in the last slot if you feel a little Florges-weak; it also lets you lure in Mega Aerodactyl, which is usually one of the only things stopping Luke's sweep.

Hi there, Bouff covered a lot of stuff that I agree with, mainly changing Swampert's and Lucario's sets.

I really do see what you mean about Florges being annoying, but a team with dual scarfers and two dragons is inherently weak to Florges, especially if your last two Pokemon don't really want to switch in. I know that you have Jirachi, but seeing as you have no way to remove hazards, you'll get worn down by hazards (especially spikestack) + switching into Moonblast repeatedly, only to get protected on and most likely forced to switch out.

Honestly looking at your team, I'm not seeing Scarf Mienshao doing a whole lot for your team. You mentioned outspeeding +1 Haxorus, but Jirachi can already do that, and besides it's not like Haxorus can set up on any of your team anyway (literally can only setup on a predicted Ampharos switch). You also mentioned outspeeding other scarfers, but Jirachi already outspeeds a lot of them (Darmanitan, Hydreigon, ...) and for almost all the rest of them, you've got strong answers for. However, your team does look extremely weak to Scarf Mienshao as even defensive Swampert can't switch in on Reckless HJKs.

For this reason, I'd like to suggest the change Scarf Mienshao -> Crobat. I believe that this will help your team in a lot of different ways:
  • You have a consistent switchin to Florges that has reliable recovery
  • You have a Fighting resist which severely relieves pressure on Swampert and Ampharos
  • You have a way to remove hazards in case of spikestack which you're really weak to
  • In the end, you still have a really fast mon that still adds to the VoltTurning style of your team
I've posted what I believe to be the most efficient set for your team below.

I hope you'll give Crobat a try and let us know about how it goes :] maybe Bouffalant can provide some feedback on what he thinks of this change as well.

Crobat @ Black Sludge/Sky Plate
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Lord Wallace

Hentai Connoiseur
Hi there, Bouff covered a lot of stuff that I agree with, mainly changing Swampert's and Lucario's sets.

I really do see what you mean about Florges being annoying, but a team with dual scarfers and two dragons is inherently weak to Florges, especially if your last two Pokemon don't really want to switch in. I know that you have Jirachi, but seeing as you have no way to remove hazards, you'll get worn down by hazards (especially spikestack) + switching into Moonblast repeatedly, only to get protected on and most likely forced to switch out.

Honestly looking at your team, I'm not seeing Scarf Mienshao doing a whole lot for your team. You mentioned outspeeding +1 Haxorus, but Jirachi can already do that, and besides it's not like Haxorus can set up on any of your team anyway (literally can only setup on a predicted Ampharos switch). You also mentioned outspeeding other scarfers, but Jirachi already outspeeds a lot of them (Darmanitan, Hydreigon, ...) and for almost all the rest of them, you've got strong answers for. However, your team does look extremely weak to Scarf Mienshao as even defensive Swampert can't switch in on Reckless HJKs.

For this reason, I'd like to suggest the change Scarf Mienshao -> Crobat. I believe that this will help your team in a lot of different ways:
  • You have a consistent switchin to Florges that has reliable recovery
  • You have a Fighting resist which severely relieves pressure on Swampert and Ampharos
  • You have a way to remove hazards in case of spikestack which you're really weak to
  • In the end, you still have a really fast mon that still adds to the VoltTurning style of your team
I've posted what I believe to be the most efficient set for your team below.

I hope you'll give Crobat a try and let us know about how it goes :] maybe Bouffalant can provide some feedback on what he thinks of this change as well.

Crobat @ Black Sludge/Sky Plate
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 212 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost
Thx fren sorry I didn't get to this until now but Crobat sounds really awesome for the team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)