Beer Thread

VKCA

(Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)
Yeah, I'm genuinely surprised by the amount of IPA drinkers here. On another forum I go on, they had an entire thread nearly dedicated to bashing IPAs and I was mad that it existed. Damn heathens.
its cos smogon is full of pretentious ducks :]
edit fine fuck you phone I'll leave it
All beer drinkers should get this app, it's awesome to track all your beers: ht://untappd.com/

My favorite brewery in the world is Unibroue from Québec. They put out the Trois Pistoles, La Fin du Monde, Maudite, etc., and my personal favorite, Blanche de Chambly.
Lafindumonde and maudite are what i drank in highschool to get drunk, are they considered nice beers in the us because ive never heard a Canadian talk about them except to say 'oh yeah that cheap 9% stuff'

Delirium tremens or boneshaker are my go to but I've got fuckall idea where to get delerium except a couple nice bars that have it on tap. So mostly just bone shaker

Yeah I drink wheat beer as well as IPAs and stouts.

You can get some fairly bitter wheat beers, but that kinda defeats the purpose. Sometimes I'm just in the mood for something a bit lighter. It's hard for me to make recommendations because I mostly drink NZ beers, which I am assuming dont have great availability in america.

But it varies from style to style, Blanche de Namur is a real go to for me, but I am assuming you wouldnt like it much, since it is a pretty characteristic witbier. I mean wheat beers includes everything from gose to lambics so you could really end up with pretty much anything. I mean there are some things like a heffe where what you get is a heffe and there isnt much variation.. But try other styles.

If you like lagers I am pretty sure you should be able to find a wheat beer you like out there somewhere..

Personally, as far as lagers go I tend to pick up on the sulphur thing fairly strongly, so I usually prefer other things. Lagers are never that good, and sometimes are fairly shit, so its always a question whether or not they are worth the risk.
When I want something lighter, I usually just go with a lager. Every time I've had a wheat beer (usually by accident, recently - when I get something I've never heard of), there just seems to be something in the taste that I can't stand. And all my friends/family seem to be the same way. I don't know anyone IRL that likes wheat beer! Maybe we're all strange over here.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
PBR is the worst beer ive ever drank. But try it out lol if you like it more power to you. Im more of a corona drinker.
translation: "Man, that American rat piss is the worst beer ever! I prefer this other American rat piss that's trying to pass as Mexican rat piss."

Lafindumonde and maudite are what i drank in highschool to get drunk, are they considered nice beers in the us because ive never heard a Canadian talk about them except to say 'oh yeah that cheap 9% stuff'
Well, they're imports, so they're not common/freely available. Delirium Tremens only costs maybe $1 more, I'd put them all in the same category: good beers.

Smogon beer crew signing in. I could have sworn I had an account on here before but I guess not.

I'm in Chicago so I'm pretty spoiled on ipas with all of the pipeworks offerings. Ipa fans should check out founders mosaic promise as well.

Anyone else into sours?

I haven't had any of the legitimately hard to find stuff yet, but I think my favorite beer I've had yet is Stone Enjoy By IPA. That stuff is amazing. Enjoy By 10.31.14 ships to my state this Friday, I am super hyped to get my hands on some.

Anyone else into sours?
I jumped headlong into sours with one of the Bruery sours and poured out the majority of a very expensive bottle of beer. I wasn't ready for it yet, I should have done what I did with IPAs and started with pale ales and worked my way up. I later tried their Berliner Wiesse which was much more palatable for me. Haven't tried anything beyond that because I really can't afford to waste money on a an expensive drain pour beer on my budget.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I feel like IPAs are trendy now so everyone drinks them, but it'll fade out after a while. I kind of liked them when I first tried them, but now they give me a headache because they are so overwhelmingly hoppy and bitter. My favorite beers are stouts, Guinness being the one I drink most because it's most accessible. I also enjoy Left Hand Milk Stout and Samuel Smith Imperial Stout.

When I go for a lager, my range is pretty wide. I'll drink anything from Dos Equis to Yuengling to Kirin Ichiban to Becks. The only beers I really won't drink are Bud Light, Milwaukee's Best, Corona, and Schlitz. Everything else is pretty much fair game (hell I'll even drink Miller Lite). The world of Beer is a wonderful place where anything is possible, and I think a person would be foolish to not try as many as they can.

Sam

i say it's all just wind in sails
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I actually tried the Milk Stout Nitro from Left Hand the other day. I thought it was pretty good.

I tend to like bitter things in general, and beer is no exception. I'm new to the game so I don't know how "trendy" IPAs are, but I do genuinely like them compared to stouts. IPA and Witbier are probably my two favorites.

Anyway, anyone have a strong opinion on any pumpkin beers? I tried Wilhelm Scream from Magic Hat and didn't really like it. I see Pumpking from Southern Tier around here a lot here in Upstate NY, but it's kinda expensive so I'm not too sure on pulling the trigger there.

Anyway, anyone have a strong opinion on any pumpkin beers?
I honestly tend to think of them mostly as a gimmick, since adding pumpkin to a beer actually changes the flavor of a beer very little if at all. Most of the flavor of pumpkin beers is through the addition of spices that simulate a pumpkin pie. Pumpking is pretty much the definitive example of this, it's pumpkin pie in a bottle. If that sounds appealing to you, give it a go! If not, you can try something like Dogfish Head's Punkin Ale, which shoots for a more actual pumpkin, vegetable like flavor.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
"Pumpkin spice", just like in the lattés, is just cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. It's dumb that it has somehow become a fall only/pumpkin thing. And there are some wonderful pumpkin beers out there, here in NY the Southern Tier brewery's "Pumpking" is absolutely to die for.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

these beers kick in pretty damn quickly, a couple of 500ml cans and you'll start feeling them. 6% alcoholic, tequila-flavoured, and it actually doesn't taste bad at all.

Desperados isn't really beer though.

I kinda feel awkward here cause I wanna talk about beer but I live in the Netherlands so it's prob way different from US. I'll do it anyway.

Personally, for me, there are 3 categories of beer (outside of radler, fruit flavored beer.. etc) and that is: specialty beers (if that is correct translation), most tasty, but more expensive. Drink this only as your first or second beer, or when you just want 1 drink at dinner or something like that. Also, this is actually a lot easier to drink when you haven't really drunk beer before. My favourites for this are La chouffe/westmaller/palm, but Idk if any of those are sold in the US. 2nd category for me, is normal beer. This is the beer I drink like 9 out of 10 times. I buy it (with a p simple beer system w/ my roommates) in crates of 24. They work both as a single beer at dinner or something of the like, as well as getting drunk with it. My favourites here are Hertog Jan and Grolsch, Heineken is ok as well. Bavaria is in this category I think simply because it's a bit more expensive but I only like it to get drunk. Last category, cheap ass beer (eg schultenbrau, or store brand just in general). I don't really drink this regularly, only at house parties cause usually that's all you get. Works for getting drunk, but still even then I prefer some tastier beers first. Not gonna recommend anything here, for obvious reasons.

huh?

pretty sure it said beer on the can...
Uh well I guess it's tequila-flavoured beer but that isn't really comparable to other kinds of beer. Kinda like cider or radler, isn't really beer either imo. Maybe that's just my opinion though.

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Cider is more or less wine though, and radler is beer with something anti-alcoholic mixed in 50/50 usually, depending on the region. Desperados is technically a beer, i do agree that you can't really compare it because anything-flavored beer is terrible.

Sam

is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Bell's Two Hearted Ale is fantastic. I also tried their 'Grapefruit Spruce' at a bar and it was very good.

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Some good mentions so far. I'm a big fan of Delirium Tremens as well as Gulden Draak. I'm also around a couple of breweries here in NY such as Port Jefferson Brewery, Great South Bay Brewery as well as Blue Point Brewery. Port Jeff has a really great Tripel and a Porter that when mixed with their homemade birch beer is phenomenal.

Also I just jumped on this Untappd bandwagon, aceonbase for anyone who'd like to add.

If you like stouts, feel like trying something a little different, and have a bit of money to burn (a 22 oz bomber cost me $9.99 here in Georgia), Xocoveza Mocha Stout is one of the best beers I've had in a while. Every year Stone Brewing holds a homebrewer's competition with the winning brewer having their beer released in collaboration with Stone nationwide. This year's winner was a really interesting idea trying to marry the flavors of Mexican hot chocolate with a milk stout. It turned out beautifully, a huge cinnamon and cocoa smell plays into all of the spices mixing perfectly yet subtly into the main milk stout body. If you are worried by the listing of peppers as an ingredient on the label, don't be, they only add the slightest bit of kick and this beer definitely isn't anything I would call spicy. It was a real treat to taste this, and I think if my budget allows I will go pick up another bottle sometime this week.

EDIT: did a little searching online and found this for $7.99 at a larger retailer in my area but beer prices vary so much state to state it's hard to tell what it will cost in yours.

Last edited:

biggie

champ
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So I had this last night:

It was pretty good. A bit hoppier than I would have expected but overall was a solid choice. Had to follow it up with a Gulden Draak though :)

Sam

I tried Dogfish Head's 90 Minute last night. I thought it was good, but it was different from what I was used to because the taste of alcohol is very strong. I took my time drinking it. While I enjoyed it, I don't think it's gonna be commonplace for me.

So every time I see Delirium Tremens I'm tempted to try one out. It's a little expensive but the larger bottles are reasonably priced if I were to split it with a friend. I guess it's worth trying?

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
Several posts in this thread made me want to try Pumking but it is unfortunately rather hard to find here in Colorado. My local liquor store happened to be out, but I managed to find this wonderful gem instead:

Seriously, if you are a lover of (Double) IPA's, this is a must try beer since it is rather difficult to find outside of California.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
for any of the English people...Jennings Snecklifter and CLA Loweswater Gold are the quintessential examples of almost perfect dark and golden beers respectively. Do try them out (only on cask though, never drink ale from a bottle yuk)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)