NU Dragalge

Overview
########

Dragalge is arguably the best Dragon-type in the NU metagame. Thanks to its high stats outside of Speed, very good typing, and nice offensive coverage, Dragalge is capable of serving multiple roles in a lot of different team archetypes. Its Choice Specs set, for example, can hit very hard with Draco Meteor for offensive teams, and the defensive set can set up Toxic Spikes for balanced ones while checking a very wide range of threats, including most Fire-, Water-, and Grass-types. However, Dragalge is very slow, meaning that it often has to take a hit before moving, and as it has no reliable recovery, it is easily worn down by repeated attacks and entry hazards.

Choice Specs
########
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Draco Meteor
move 2: Sludge Bomb
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Dragon Pulse / Scald
ability: Poison Point
item: Choice Specs
evs: 204 HP / 252 SpA / 52 Spd
nature: Modest

Moves
========

Draco Meteor is the most powerful STAB move Dragalge has and has stellar coverage in the NU metagame. Sludge Bomb hits Fairy-types immune to Draco Meteor for super effective damage and is a more reliable move to be locked into. The higher chance to poison is preferred over the higher amount of power Sludge Wave has, though Sludge Wave can still be used to hit slightly harder and to hit the uncommon Quilladin, which, thanks to its Bulletproof ability, is immune to Sludge Bomb. Focus Blast hits the Steel-types that resist both of Dragalge's STAB moves for super effective damage and allows Dragalge to 2HKO Lickilicky and Audino. Hidden Power Fire can be used instead as a more accurate option to deal with Ferroseed, though it hits Ferroseed as hard as Focus Blast does. Dragon Pulse is an accurate Dragon STAB move that is very useful against Ground- and Poison-types if you can't afford to lock Dragalge into Draco Meteor. Note, however, that two Draco Meteors are more powerful than two Dragon Pulses, even when factoring in the Special Attack drop. Scald is an option in the last slot for the burn chance and as a more accurate way of hitting Rhydon and bulky Ground-types hard.

Set Details
========

The given Speed EVs allow Dragalge to outspeed uninvested Pokemon with base 50 Speed, such as Vileplume and Granbull. Dragalge's Special Attack is maximized, and the remaining EVs are put in HP to let Dragalge take hits better. Choice Specs is the item of choice, as it gives a massive power boost to moves such as Draco Meteor.

Usage Tips
========

Dragalge should be switched into defensive Water-types, such as Qwilfish and Poliwrath, and Poison-types, such as Garbodor and Weezing, as they provide the best opportunities to fire off attacks. Grass-types such as Lilligant and Vileplume also provide good opportunities to switch in if Sleep Clause is in effect. Recklessly spam Draco Meteor if the opponent doesn't have any Fairy-types, as it is very powerful and can do sizable damage even to Pokemon that resist it if they don't invest in Special Defense, such as Steelix.

Team Options
========

Mesprit pairs quite well with Dragalge, as it is a great switch-in to Pokemon that check Dragalge, such as Ground-types; it can also set up Stealth Rock for Dragalge's team. Entry hazard support, especially Spikes, can really wear down Dragalge's checks. Good Pokemon for that role include Crustle and Garbodor. Ferroseed also has awesome defensive synergy with Dragalge and thus is a good choice for more balanced teams. Feraligatr is another good partner, as Dragalge gets a free switch in on most of its checks, such as Qwilfish and Vileplume, to then fire off a Draco Meteor. Slurpuff, especially the Belly Drum variant, is also a good choice, as Dragalge can easily lure in Steel-types such as Ferroseed, Probopass, and Steelix and smack them with a Focus Blast.

Defensive
########
name: Defensive
move 1: Toxic Spikes
move 2: Dragon Tail
move 3: Sludge Bomb
move 4: Protect / Dragon Pulse
ability: Poison Point
item: Black Sludge
evs: 248 HP / 192 Def / 68 SpD
nature: Calm / Sassy

Moves
========

Toxic Spikes is the main move on the set, as Dragalge finds quite a few opportunities to set them up. Dragon Tail is a STAB phazing move to deal with bulky setup sweepers that might try to set up while Dragalge uses Toxic Spikes and aren't particularly threatened by any of Dragalge's moves, such as Feraligatr. Sludge Bomb is a reliable STAB move to hit the Grass-types Dragalge checks, such as Sceptile and Lilligant. Protect is the main move in the last slot because of its usefulness in stalling for Toxic damage, gaining extra Black Sludge recovery, and scouting Choice-locked attackers, but Dragon Pulse is a perfectly viable choice to hit Poison- and Ground-types, which fear nothing from Dragalge, such as Sandslash and Garbodor. Scald is also a viable choice because of its useful chance to burn, but it is pitifully weak without investment. Alternatively, a RestTalk set can be used as a more reliable way to recover HP and to make Dragalge a sleep absorber that can better deal with the likes of Lilligant, but Dragalge really struggles to find room in its movesets and such a set would be very passive.

Set Details
========

68 Special Defense EVs and a positive nature let Dragalge avoid the 2HKO from Choice Specs Pyroar after Stealth Rock and Protect and from Life Orb Ludicolo's Ice Beam if Stealth Rock is not up. The remaining EVs are put into Defense to let Dragalge sponge resisted physical hits much better and take less damage from Magmortar's Earthquake. A more specially defensive spread can be used to take on special Water- and Fire-types such as Typhlosion, Pyroar, and Ludicolo even better, but that makes Dragalge more prone to mixed Magmortar and it becomes more difficult to sponge repeated physical hits, even if they are resisted. The choice between Calm and Sassy is really a matter of preference; the former lets Dragalge outspeed Pokemon with base 40 Speed and the latter gives Dragalge a stronger Dragon Tail. Black Sludge works very well with Protect and is Dragalge's only way to recover HP.

Usage Tips
========

Dragalge easily switches into defensive Grass- and Water-types and can set up Toxic Spikes on them for free. You can use Protect freely against Pokemon that don't normally carry setup moves and against Choice-locked attackers, but be careful using it against setup sweepers such as Feraligatr. Dragalge is also a great switch-in to Fire-type attacks and can take on most Fire-types if it doesn't switch into coverage moves.

Team Options
========

Ferroseed is an awesome partner for Dragalge, as it can set up Stealth Rock and Spikes for Dragalge to rack up even more damage with Dragon Tail. It also has great synergy with it, resisting Dragalge's Psychic weakness and beating most Ground-types. In return, Dragalge resists both Ferroseed's Fighting and Fire weaknesses. Audino and Lickilicky complement Dragalge very well, providing Wish and Heal Bell support and offering another strong check to special attackers. Bulky Water-types such as Seismitoad and Poliwrath can switch into the bulky Ground- and Steel-types that otherwise are able to freely switch into Dragalge and force them out.

Other Options
########

Dragalge can use an offensive Toxic Spikes set with maximum Special Attack investment, but it is usually outclassed in that role by Garbodor and Qwilfish. Haze is an option on the defensive set, but Dragon Tail outclasses it outside of hitting Fairy-types and Substitute users. Hydro Pump and Thunderbolt are alternative coverage moves Dragalge can use on its Choice Specs set, but they hit nothing outside of specific targets such as Camerupt and Mantine.

Checks & Counters
########

**Bulky Steel-types**: Probopass, Steelix, and Ferroseed can switch into every move Dragalge carries bar Focus Blast, but the defensive set can easily set up Toxic Spikes against them.

**Audino**: Audino doesn't like taking Draco Meteor and Focus Blast but can act as a pivot switch against Choice Specs variants to see what Dragalge locks itself into. Be careful, however, because the defensive set uses it as setup fodder for Toxic Spikes.

**Bulky Ground-types**: Rhydon, Camerupt, and Seismitoad fear almost nothing from defensive Dragalge and can set up Stealth Rock or threaten it with Earthquake. They are also decent checks to the Choice Specs set if they manage to switch into Sludge Bomb or Hidden Power Fire.

**Psychic-types**: While they do not enjoy switching into repeated attacks because of their lack of reliable recovery, Psychic-types such as Uxie and Mesprit are decent checks to Dragalge, as they have huge special bulk and can threaten it with their Psychic STAB moves.

**Offensive pressure and residual damage**: As Dragalge lacks recovery outside of Rest and is vulnerable to all forms of entry hazards bar Toxic Spikes, it is worn down quite easily by offensive teams that can heavily pressure it with repeated attacks.

Last edited:
I think an offensive T-Spikes set should be added. I've been using it on a balanced team for a while and it hasn't preformed badly at all. I'll get into more details once I have a bit of time on my hands.

Heres the set:
Dragalge @ Black Sludge
Ability: Poison Point
EVs: 192 HP / 252 SpA / 64 Spe
Modest Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Is HP Fire really worth more than Focus Blast? I know accuracy issues, but it hits Ferro for equal damage, while having the benefit of smashing Probopass and putting pressure on the pink blobs.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
I'm pretty sure Dragon / Poison / Fighting has unresisted coverage in NU [fuck you, shedinja], so I would say HP Fire is pretty unnecessary.
Killing Probo, Blobs, Magneton, Pawniard, Steelix, Steels in general is more useful imo than having a way to kill ferroseed - who can still be 2HKO as long as you hit [which isn't unheard of].

edit: fuck you too honedge.

QC ready, I'll ask QC before adding the offensive tspikes set as I haven't had the time to test it

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I don't think Tbolt is necessary on Specs given that its only real target is Mantine which already takes a lot from DM / Sludge Bomb and can't do much back. I'd remove it.

Also I don't really like RestTalk on defensive variants; it just stretches out Dragalge's 4MSS far too much by forcing you to give up Toxic Spikes (plus you synergize well with Audino so yeah). Put it in OO instead. I think Sludge Bomb should be slashed somewhere too since it's kinda nice for not having to rely on a 30% chance to beat BD Slurpuff.

Reactions: g

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
maybe use relaxed on the defensive set since dragalge's attack isn't terrible and can hurt frailer things with dragon tail

i really don't like scald on the choice specs set. it's not a very good move to be locked into considering it's weak as hell so maybe just slash it behind dragon pulse which is more consistent

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Add a mention of a specially defensive spread in the Set Details of the defensive set. Physically defensive Dragalge is cool, but its 123 Special Defense doesn't go as far without investment because of its ass HP.

Also, physically defensive Dragalge is a really poor check to Feraligatr. +2 Ice Punch, which is really common, does 70+%, and the only thing you can do in return is phase it out. +2 Return has a really high chance of getting the 2HKO after Stealth Rock and assuming you switch into Swords Dance. In fact, I don't even know that physically defensive is worthwhile. I know people use it, but I don't get why. What does it beat? At least specially defensive actually beats Fire-types barring EQ Magmortar, which you lose to regardless of your investment.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hollywood since when is phdef dragalge used for gatr lol, its just to let it deal with fighting-types better (eq-less sawk/ape) and take physical hits better in general as most special attack can't OHKO it even w/ 252hp/0 spdef (phdef dragalge + audino is godly). dragalge still checks grass types even with phdef, and also phdef let it take on EQ variants of LO Magmortar better.

if you want I can name more things, but that should be enough lol. Specially Defensive does work tho so it deserves a mention.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hollywood since when is phdef dragalge used for gatr lol, its just to let it deal with fighting-types better (eq-less sawk/ape) and take physical hits better in general as most special attack can't OHKO it even w/ 252hp/0 spdef (phdef dragalge + audino is godly). dragalge still checks grass types even with phdef, and also phdef let it take on EQ variants of LO Magmortar better.

if you want I can name more things, but that should be enough lol. Specially Defensive does work tho so it deserves a mention.
It doesn't, that was my point. He said in the analysis that it did.

idk I just like mixed defensive or SpDef a lot more because I prefer consistently beating Fire-types that aren't EQ mortar. like calm max Def is pretty cool, but I don't think Bold/Relaxed is worth.

Punchshroom

Yeah I am also on the fence about purely physically defensive Dragalge, because getting nearly 2HKOed by LO Pyroar's Hyper Voice after SR is really not cool when you want your Fire check to at least outlast the opponent's Fire sweeper; if 4 SpD Dragalge gets hit by LO Hyper Voice on the switch it means that Dragalge pretty much cannot switch into Pyroar anymore, never mind the possibility of Will-O-Wisp further increasing this chance. I'm not saying to completely drop the Def investment for SpD (since it can still at least check Fightings and survive EQ Magmortar), but I'm with Holly on split defensive investment, with perhaps a SpD boosting nature with just enough EVs for a jump point I don't know :/ . I just feel a Dragalge with minimal SpD investment seems risky given its weaknesses.

Don't take my word for it.

FireMage

Disgraced
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Physically defensive Dragalge is terrible. I've used it so many times and it's just far too underwhelming - Specially defensive has merit thanks to it's typing and stts, but otherwise I'd honestly scrap the physically defensive set altogether.

OK I'll look into a somewhat more mixed spread that can still take on fighting types but still deal with mixmortar/pyroar. For now set details have been updated

Punchshroom

Btw u still did not change the bit about Granbull having 50 base Speed, as well as moving the Thunderbolt mention in Specs set behind Scald at least (if not outright removed).

Btw u still did not change the bit about Granbull having 50 base Speed, as well as moving the Thunderbolt mention in Specs set behind Scald at least (if not outright removed).
I usually change the moves order during the write up and I skimmed over Granbull, sorry

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
galbia

add more teammates for both sets please, and more things in C&C (vm me if you don't know what to add, but iirc you used Dragalge a lot so you should know).

do that and QC 1/3

Is Assault Vest Dragalge any good? 252HP/252 Sp.Atk Modest maybe? It still loses to stuff like EQ Magmortar. I know we shouldn't slap AVest on to everything but it is kind of useful. As in if you need something to check stuff like Eruption Typhlosion and stuff throughout the match

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)