Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
I completely revamped Flabébé over the weekend, tagging my friend Sidneyfluff because he was interested in seeing these

View attachment 27261

/me collapses from exhaustion
Well these look pretty. I've been meaning to do the same with Floette as its colors are interfering with shinies and its eternal form. I think I might get onto it next if anyone doesn't mind.

Edit: the right side (our left) looks a bit weird on its face, could just be me though. The yellow halo looks a little flat and an odd angle.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
lol don't bother princess has the rest of the flowers taken care of.

Also a small status update is I'm primarily focusing on ORAS, and princessofmusic handles the Kalos stuff, while I approve with her when required to do so. This split of the work should be helpful for us to get to a point of completion. Once I am 'ok' with the ORAS sprites I'll go back and work on perfecting XY stuff, which will probably be mostly megas. By the end of the year ideally we are completely done static Kalos mons, we then never look at them again.

Last edited:

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Alright, that makes sense. However I have been wondering, once we are done with gen 6 sprites ( I assume if there is a Z version we would have to make some of those changes), would we start working on generation 7 if there is one anyways of course this is a long way away but I'd thought I'd ask.

Next year would probably be mostly finishing ORAS sprites I assume such as animating and shinies and maybe very few Kali's mons, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

I really enjoy this project, so I plan to help make this until the end!

okay thanks. Ill ask them about using the ORAS mega pokemon sprites for my hack. And TrainerSplash please do the back sprites for volcanion and hoopa :)

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
>

Sometimes I need to remind myself I actually run things here.

Frist draft of new Sharpedo, that original had a number of problems especially around nose and markings and just overall anatomy. Wasn't worth a QC, a whole redo was more appropriate. Keeps mouth and outline style consistent with base sprite.

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
>

Frist draft of new Sharpedo, that original had a number of problems especially around nose and markings and just overall anatomy. Wasn't worth a QC, a whole redo was more appropriate. Keeps mouth and outline style consistent with base sprite.
I'm digging it, the mouth looks a little odd though. And I think the nose could be longer. Really liking the "arms" compared to what I had. I honestly think my top and bottoms find are better however

edit: forgot to mention that I love the color but the nose could use more shading.

Edit2: if you don't mind, I'll try some QC when I get home, along with working more on that back sprite.

Last edited:
>

As always, great job with the new sprite, Layell. I'm interested in the edits TrainerSplash is intending to make, so let's just await his QC and take a look.

Just a small heads-up: I've taken some screenshots of Mega Salamence that'll help both making the sprite and animating it. I'm also doing more work on the sprite, first and foremost resizing it to make the wing fit in.

The images at least show that Mega Salamence is capable of flapping its wing, so having the wing in a flapped pose is ideal to fit it into the canvas. My idea for the animation is to have it straighten its wing and hover in midair, sometimes flapping it a single time and as a rare animation, tucking out its legs, opening the braces and roaring. I'll attempt to make the open-brace sprites as well.

That's all for now. Sayonara.

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
I'm workin on another Mega Salamence at school, I'll finish his edits later and I think it would be better than the dynamic pose we have seen before. I'll post him when I get to post Mega Sharpedo updates.

As always, great job with the new sprite, Layell. I'm interested in the edits TrainerSplash is intending to make, so let's just await his QC and take a look.

Just a small heads-up: I've taken some screenshots of Mega Salamence that'll help both making the sprite and animating it. I'm also doing more work on the sprite, first and foremost resizing it to make the wing fit in.

The images at least show that Mega Salamence is capable of flapping its wing, so having the wing in a flapped pose is ideal to fit it into the canvas. My idea for the animation is to have it straighten its wing and hover in midair, sometimes flapping it a single time and as a rare animation, tucking out its legs, opening the braces and roaring. I'll attempt to make the open-brace sprites as well.

That's all for now. Sayonara.
First off, I'd like to say great job! You guys have shown dedication since I first made comments about this magnificent undertaking. Way to go!

Alright, you may be wondering why I quoted the above. Here's why:

Mega-Salamence's wing looks like a glider, and not a flapper, so I agree with this here, but we need to make sure that the majority of the sprite is wings out, and straight. If it's bent, the aerodynamics look off.

First off, I'd like to say great job! You guys have shown dedication since I first made comments about this magnificent undertaking. Way to go!

Alright, you may be wondering why I quoted the above. Here's why:

Mega-Salamence's wing looks like a glider, and not a flapper, so I agree with this here, but we need to make sure that the majority of the sprite is wings out, and straight. If it's bent, the aerodynamics look off.
You're completely right about that, but I may've illustrated in a previous post: The wing needs to be in a flapped position at least somewhat in order not to sacrifice quality on the sprite. Otherwise, we'll have to make it absolutely minuscule, like what happened to Yveltal. To preserve the scale, I think I'll need to get the wing in a flapped position, but I'll try to preserve the aerodynamic look.

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Well, no Mega Salamence up date- left my flash drive at school I'll try to get it done.
On the other hand I am doing Mega Sharpedo updates on stream.

upload_2014-10-1_17-19-11.png
Here's the applied edites, I fixed some shading to make it more like the sugi art. I don't like the idea of making this sprite from the sugimori art, make it look very proportional. I plan to fix those fron teeth sooner or later. Fixed some outline. messed around with that top fin. I think it looks nicer. Added some out lines to separate the top of the head and the top fin. This top fin really bothers me in general even before the applied edits. I do like this nose better than from my original sprite.
It was also a short stream cause I had to do something real quick sorry guys ;-;

Last edited:
Again, we really need to look at the gameplay pictures of Sharpedo, not just the Sugi Art.

It doesn't have spikes in the gameplay idle. It leads me to believe that they will jut out when it attacks.

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
Again, we really need to look at the gameplay pictures of Sharpedo, not just the Sugi Art.

It doesn't have spikes in the gameplay idle. It leads me to believe that they will jut out when it attacks.
They do jut out. It says on the ORAS mini-site. Like normal sharks when they are lost they regrow, so it's more or less teeth like sword fish or a narwhal I guess. What I am saying it that I don't like the sugimori art as a base. Something tells me that the shiny version of mega sharpedo will bite us in the butt sooner or later.

Time for more revamps with little or no backing text!
Delphox
New_______ Old________

-Gown/Robe/Dress thing is now about 20-30% floofier.
-Tail slimmed down to better match the in-game model.
-Ears went to pay a visit to the Furfrou groomer and are now much more lush.
-Several colors have been brightened to increase contrast and create more depth as a result.
-Additional shading has been applied to the sprite, as its old shading scheme was a little flat.
-Yellow vest has been editted to have consistent size on both sprites.
-Face has been edited to appear fuller.

As always, I'll try to be open to any comments or criticisms you guys throw my way. +)

Layell edit: Y'all might as well wait until I do my edits first.

Next project is going to be a certain Mega that should be obvious if you've been reading the thread these past few weeks. (GETEXCITE)

Sláinte!

Last edited by a moderator:

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
I know I just edited axl's post saying don't bother with editing Delphox, I'm halfway done

Also Mega Ray means we are already dead, normally I would say wait for height/weight, but come on it's going to fill the entire damn canvas. Good thing we didn't have to wait for leaks.

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
I plan on doing a whole new Greninja, I feel like the current ones an awkward pose, but ORAS sprites come first. I'll do him when I have time.

As for Mega Rayquaza, I'm wondering how this will work, I don't want it to end up like salamence or Yveltal, along with too many colors like Xerneas. Something tells me his shiny would be a pain too.

I'm hoping this is the last of the info until the games comes out. Or at least for the last two corocoro scans before the big leaks come out.

Actually, I'm going to have an attempt at Mega Ray and he doesn't look too bad. Yes, he's huge, but he's a snake. He can just contort to fit within the size constraints and the perspective will be easy to use as well. He's not a wide, thin inflexible glider, that's for sure.

As for colours, provided it acts like regular shiny ray we'll be fine, if not there might be some trouble. But regular ray only has 14 colours anyway, change the pinks to a more orange and add a yellow-orange shade and I think we're good to go. I'll report back once I have a draft ready.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
I look forward to what you put out WPS.

In terms of colour limit I would say the biggest danger is the black colours. We could kill the lightest green to give space, and then one of the shades of white, which is really barely noticeable anyways. The mouth has its own separate shade of pink as well, in total regular has 4 reds. Mega probably could get away with two. I'll let you handle that though.

Ah, yeah, the grey bits. Didn't think about them. Don't know about losing the lightest grey, since MegaRay's body looks a lot more reflective then it used to be.

Anyway, here's the basic sketch: I started pixelling the lineart meticulously until I got to the four finned midsections, which are just the worst shape, and after that it's more rough.

Gonna take a break before I retackle the midsections, so if there's any changes you'd suggest, especially for size and pose, now would be the time.
seriously screw those midsections

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Ah, yeah, the grey bits. Didn't think about them. Don't know about losing the lightest grey, since MegaRay's body looks a lot more reflective then it used to be.

Anyway, here's the basic sketch: I started pixelling the lineart meticulously until I got to the four finned midsections, which are just the worst shape, and after that it's more rough.

Gonna take a break before I retackle the midsections, so if there's any changes you'd suggest, especially for size and pose, now would be the time.
Since hes so long and snake like, cant we just give him a coiled look like his regular form? It might save a bit of space like that.

God that design is a fustercluck.

Anyway, the main thing I have against the design is that I think he's too dynamic. While badass, the pose is very active, which is very rarely the case with Gen V sprites. Put it next to just about any other sprite, including most legendaries, and you'll see what I mean.

That aside, if you did want to keep with this pose, the back third of the tail probably shouldn't be bending that much, as it breaks the momentum of the rest of the body. Maybe it would look better with shading, but currently, it looks like his front half is undulating vertically while the bottom half is undulating horizontally, which isn't something that serpents can pull off. Similarly, although to a lesser extent, the chains coming off of his jaws could also benefit from having either more of a consistent curvature with the rest of the sprite, as it currently looks like they start off trying to undulate only to end up going straight, which again breaks the momentum of the pose.

Again, I really feel that this pose is currently just too dynamic, and many of the issues stem from that.

Edit@Typhlito: tbh, I feel like this design could pulled off better than with a coil. Maybe drawing inspiration from the likes of Gyarados/Serperior wouldn't be a bad idea? If anything, I feel that it'd be better to break from the old coil pose if only to further differentiate the two, and because it'd likely look better uncoiled due to the silly head chains.

Last edited:
God that design is a fustercluck.

Anyway, the main thing I have against the design is that I think he's too dynamic. While badass, the pose is very active, which is very rarely the case with Gen V sprites. Put it next to just about any other sprite, including most legendaries, and you'll see what I mean.

That aside, if you did want to keep with this pose, the back third of the tail probably shouldn't be bending that much, as it breaks the momentum of the rest of the body. Maybe it would look better with shading, but currently, it looks like his front half is undulating vertically while the bottom half is undulating horizontally, which isn't something that serpents can pull off. Similarly, although to a lesser extent, the chains coming off of his jaws could also benefit from having either more of a consistent curvature with the rest of the sprite, as it currently looks like they start off trying to undulate only to end up going straight, which again breaks the momentum of the pose.

Again, I really feel that this pose is currently just too dynamic, and many of the issues stem from that.

Edit@Typhlito: tbh, I feel like this design could pulled off better than with a coil. Maybe drawing inspiration from the likes of Gyarados/Serperior wouldn't be a bad idea? If anything, I feel that it'd be better to break from the old coil pose if only to further differentiate the two, and because it'd likely look better uncoiled due to the silly head chains.
I agree the chains won't work with a coil, so I guess I have to figure out how to make the pose look less dynamic. I don't think I can easily make it exactly like the in game pose; even if I had it at an angle it's too long. I need to somehow make it less of an S shape within the size constraints, which I guess means changing either the middle or the head. I kinda don't want to change the head, I just got its mandibles looking straight.

There's going to end up being some degree of activeness in the post though; Rayquaza always looks like it has to be constantly in motion in order to stay in the air, but instead it just sort of just hovers mid twist.

Edit: This better? Even rougher I'm afraid, gimp crashed half way through.

Old

New

Last edited:

TrainerSplash

Alolan Form
I agree the chains won't work with a coil, so I guess I have to figure out how to make the pose look less dynamic. I don't think I can easily make it exactly like the in game pose; even if I had it at an angle it's too long. I need to somehow make it less of an S shape within the size constraints, which I guess means changing either the middle or the head. I kinda don't want to change the head, I just got its mandibles looking straight.

There's going to end up being some degree of activeness in the post though; Rayquaza always looks like it has to be constantly in motion in order to stay in the air, but instead it just sort of just hovers mid twist.

Edit: This better? Even rougher I'm afraid, gimp crashed half way through.

Old

New
I like the new edits, we should reapply those orange/reddish circles though. As from how detailed and how much changes to the original design was given, I don't think we should be in any rush. We have a little over a month to finish this guy, no sweat. We should at least be able to have this done as a reasonable base/placeholder like how I plan to make a new Mega Sceptile and Greninja.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)