Sticky Have a question? Ask it here! (NOT SM QUESTIONS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
I second Mulan15262's recommendation of talonflame. I've continued to use the in-game one I captured when I first ran through the game (so...random IVs, naive nature), and it does everything I need it to for general grinding. The only moveset difference is that mine has thief over brave bird, since thief doesn't have recoil and can be used for item grinding (though I've since caught a dedicated frisk pumpkaboo which I use particularly for heart scale grinding in Cyllage City). Thief has the added advantage of giving your utility talonflame better neutral coverage.

Valzy

Destroyer of Worlds
is a Contributor Alumnus
Can anyone generate a good in-game set for a Pokémon that can learn Fly and have some way to utilize it in battle. I'm not a huge fan of the birds one would find around the starting routes given that they are incredibly frail and I already have fast and incredibly offensive Pokémon that I travel with.

For example,

Tropius @Starf Berry
Ability: Harvest
Bold Nature (252 HP/ 128 Def/ 128 Sp.D)
Steel Wing
Fly
Leech Seed/Synthesis
Protect

Steel Wing is my main attack with Leech Seed/Synthesis and Protect giving me longevity as I stall for more stat boosts. Since Fly is a two-turn attack, I felt like it would suit this set nicely. I already have a Grass Type on my main party though, otherwise Tropius would be great. Not looking for something overly amazing as this is mainly for utility. Any suggestions are welcome.
This is what I use ingame:

Volcarona
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Fly
- Heat Wave
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power Rock

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Jumping on the Talonflame bandwagon here. Fly+Flame Body+easily accessible makes it a winner. My set up is:

Talonflame (Capt. Falcon) @ Luck Insense
EVs: my favourite is Espeon
Lax Nature
- Fly
- Flamethrower
- Flail
- Return

Flamethrower and Return for Chateau grinding, Flail so I can weaken wild 'mons for capture.

Anyone here ever scroll to the Amie screen and laugh at all the Talonflames that have tea together? Pokemon Amie? More like TalonflAmie amirite?

Valzy

Destroyer of Worlds
is a Contributor Alumnus
Tropius gets Fly, Sweet Scent, Earthquake and Razor Leaf making it perfect for EV training. Mew gets a ton of utility moves including Soft-Boiled, Strength, Cut, Rock Smash, Surf, Dig, Waterfall, and False Swipe, and also has great stats.

Last edited:
I have a general purpose Talonflame that I use for breeding and grinding xp in the Chateau.

Talonflame (Nursemaid) @ Amulet Coin
EVs : As they came; pretty much turned out to be an even spread
? Nature (it's level 100, who cares?)
- Fly
- Steel Wing
- Overheat
- Return

Steel Wing is actually useful for Chateau grinding, because there are a lot of fairies around. Overheat takes care of the ice and grass types. It's a useful all-purpose nursemaid.

I also use a Hawlucha for capturing things

Hawlucha (Hawlucha-L) @ nothing in particular
Ability: Limber
EVs: As they came, again who cares?
? Nature
- Fly
- False Swipe
- High Jump Kick
- Roost

Fly to get places, Roost to keep things going if necessary and False Swipe for obvious purposes. I pair it with something with Yawn (a Snorlax usually, for no particular reason). Use Yawn, switch into Hawlucha, False Swipe (roost if necessary), capture.

At level 100, you can pretty much have anything with any stats and still have it be useful. It's really the moves that count.

(I also have a set of 6 level 100 pokemon with Pick Up, which has netted me an extra 4 leftovers to date, and a full set of pokemon with Sweet Scent, Thief, Frisk, Compoundeyes and all the other things you need. It's worth investing in these things, because they make life so much easier, frankly).

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I recently started doing that battle chateau thingy, and on serebii it says grand duke: defeat all trainers, how many is that? ^^
According to Bulbapedia you have to 'defeat all noble trainers except Gym Leaders, the Elite Four and Diantha.' I counted all the other trainers and that was 62. The hardest thing about this is that you cannot distinguish the players from there overworld design and so you have to battle them to see their names. If you wanted you could keep a list of names and remove them as you beat them so you know who's left. I just go in there and battle randomly and hope I beat the right people, I'm not Grand Duke yet so hopefully I've interpreted this right!

edit: didn't realise this was my 700th post ^_^

Last edited:
According to Bulbapedia you have to 'defeat all noble trainers except Gym Leaders, the Elite Four and Diantha.' I counted all the other trainers and that was 62. The hardest thing about this is that you cannot distinguish the players from there overworld design and so you have to battle them to see their names. If you wanted you could keep a list of names and remove them as you beat them so you know who's left. I just go in there and battle randomly and hope I beat the right people, I'm not Grand Duke yet so hopefully I've interpreted this right!
Alright, thank you ^^ just another question, do you have to be grand duke to battle diantha? I'm only earl by now ._.

It takes a few days of battling to get everybody, but you will get there in the end. And then xp farming becomes much, much quicker. You absolutely need the black writ.

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Defeat all trainers bar Diantha, rather. To get Diantha to show up, you have to beat all the other trainers. After that you should get promoted to Grand Duke/Duchess and then Diantha will show up almost immediately to battle.

Well that is what happened with me anyway.

That happened with me, too. Or, at least, I think that I battled all the trainers. After I beat everyone (or so I think), I left and re-entered and I got Grand Duke. Once I earned Grand Duke, Diantha showed up quickly.

Can anyone generate a good in-game set for a Pokémon that can learn Fly and have some way to utilize it in battle. I'm not a huge fan of the birds one would find around the starting routes given that they are incredibly frail and I already have fast and incredibly offensive Pokémon that I travel with.

For example,

Tropius @Starf Berry
Ability: Harvest
Bold Nature (252 HP/ 128 Def/ 128 Sp.D)
Steel Wing
Fly
Leech Seed/Synthesis
Protect

Steel Wing is my main attack with Leech Seed/Synthesis and Protect giving me longevity as I stall for more stat boosts. Since Fly is a two-turn attack, I felt like it would suit this set nicely. I already have a Grass Type on my main party though, otherwise Tropius would be great. Not looking for something overly amazing as this is mainly for utility. Any suggestions are welcome.
What gen are we in? If 6th gen then talonflame is good, or the reg bird pokemon in any other gens, such as Staraptor, swellow, or pidgeot. While they can be a HM slave, they can hit hard too.

I've been going out of my way each generation avoiding birds by catching Zubats, Drifloons, and Goletts, but I seem to have misjudged Talonflame. Useful abilities in Flame Body and Gale Wings, Fire attacks to deal with Steel Types, and that ungodly speed. I'm surprised why I haven't even considered it on my team. Probably because a good chunk of my team is weak to birdspam and losing to an opponent on Battle Spot who also has a Talonflame would make me rage so bad. Volcarona does seem like a solid choice, good choice of STABs. Fly wouldn't synergize with it well, but it doesn't need all four moveslots to be effective. In fact, I've been using one since I found a Friend Safari with Larvesta in it. However, I'm leaning towards Hawlucha like Kabbes suggested since it can learn False Swipe and I tend to catch Pokémon with regular Pokéballs for aesthetic reasons. Flying Press/High Jump Kick + Roost against Rock and Steel Types really sweetens the deal of having it as a team member.

Thanks for the ideas, now new topic.

I like having Grass types on my team, but while the type is not very good offensively or defensively, it has to deal with a select target of Pokémon in order to work. I learned about type matchups mainly from Earl's Pokémon Academy if anyone even remembers Pokémon Stadium 2 and I always thought that Grass could put a complete stop to both Ground and Water Types. As the series of games progressed, coverage in Ice Beam/Ice Punch became a staple on almost every Water type that existed which left me wondering how 'Water' beats Grass.

So I've always wondered what type coverage seem to be the norm among players. Aside from the ever so popular Water/Ice and Ground/Rock, are there any other expected attack type combinations that renders the stereotype that "a Pokémon of Type A will always beat an opponent of Type B" to be untrue? Electric/Fire? Ghost/Fairy? In your experiences battling against friends and intelligent AI, what trends have you noticed among them?

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
I've been going out of my way each generation avoiding birds by catching Zubats, Drifloons, and Goletts, but I seem to have misjudged Talonflame. Useful abilities in Flame Body and Gale Wings, Fire attacks to deal with Steel Types, and that ungodly speed. I'm surprised why I haven't even considered it on my team. Probably because a good chunk of my team is weak to birdspam and losing to an opponent on Battle Spot who also has a Talonflame would make me rage so bad. Volcarona does seem like a solid choice, good choice of STABs. Fly wouldn't synergize with it well, but it doesn't need all four moveslots to be effective. In fact, I've been using one since I found a Friend Safari with Larvesta in it. However, I'm leaning towards Hawlucha like Kabbes suggested since it can learn False Swipe and I tend to catch Pokémon with regular Pokéballs for aesthetic reasons. Flying Press/High Jump Kick + Roost against Rock and Steel Types really sweetens the deal of having it as a team member.

I like having Grass types on my team, but while the type is not very good offensively or defensively, it has to deal with a select target of Pokémon in order to work. I learned about type matchups mainly from Earl's Pokémon Academy if anyone even remembers Pokémon Stadium 2 and I always thought that Grass could put a complete stop to both Ground and Water Types. As the series of games progressed, coverage in Ice Beam/Ice Punch became a staple on almost every Water type that existed which left me wondering how 'Water' beats Grass.

So I've always wondered what type coverage seem to be the norm among players. Aside from the ever so popular Water/Ice and Ground/Rock, are there any other expected attack type combinations that renders the stereotype that "a Pokémon of Type A will always beat an opponent of Type B" to be untrue? Electric/Fire? Ghost/Fairy? In your experiences battling against friends and intelligent AI, what trends have you noticed among them?
Well competitvely, sets are created around trying to counter that Pokémon's threats etc. or perfect coverage (dragon/fire before gen 6. There's not really a trend for types, because it sorta depends on the tier or metagame at the time.

I think that's what you're asking?

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, it really just depends on the Pokemon and the metagame. Some Pokemon get very good neutral coverage with their STAB moves and some have to rely on using coverage moves. It's really different for each Pokemon though.

The only thing that really stuck out to me (in BW OU, I haven't really played much of XY OU) was Focus Blast on a lot of Psychic and Ghost types. A lot of stuff that I would use Tyranitar to trap and otherwise completely counter could get the jump on me (if it hit, of course). Another thing, although it isn't really an attack, is Pokemon carrying Will-o-Wisp, making you hesitate to bring in your answer if it is a physical attacker. Can't think of a specific example right now though.

It mainly depends on what pokemon are good in the metagame. Some pokemon are really awesome ad some are just awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)