Miltank QC [0/3]

Where's the Beef? Miltank is MilDANK
First time doing this go easy

Overview
########

+Amazing support sets
+Some of the best defenses in the tier
+Surprisingly fantastic speed (Like, really, oddly high for a fat cow)
+Access to many clerical moves like heal bell/milk drink
-Walled by common Normal or steal types
-Mediocre Attack Stat

Defensive
########
name: Udder Madness
move 1: Body Slam
move 2: Milk Drink
move 3: Stealth Rock
move 4: Heal Bell/Toxic
ability: Sap Sipper/Thick Fat
item: Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
nature: Careful

Moves
========

- Body Slam allows Miltank to Paralyse Faster threats like Liligant and Leafeon/any non-ghost switch in, along with moderate STAB. Body Slam also has a chance to paralyze first due to Miltank's high speed.
- Heal Bell is a must for Burn or Toxic, so that Miltank can remain at high health, as well as adds cleric ability to the team.
- Milk Drink is a staple of all Miltank sets. With it's okay HP, and high defense stats, Miltank can continue to recover and take hits
-Toxic helps tear down walls, and can be backed up with Miltanks okay attack.
-Stealth Rocks are a staple on any team, and entry hazards are great support

Set Details
========
- Max HP and 252 SpD help Miltank be an all around defensive Wall, while 64 attack ensure it can hit many threats with at least some damage, while whittling away their HP.
- Miltank's natural defense is more than enough to take things like Knock Off and U-Turns w/o investment
- Milk Drink and Leftovers allow Miltank to, well, Tank. It can take repeated hits, however, keeping it at a good level of HP is essential.
-With Miltanks base 100 speed, it outspeeds many taunt users.

Usage Tips
========
- With Sap Sipper, you can switch into grass types and get some free boosts, as well as avoid stalls like Leech Seed and Sleep Powder/Spore
- Thick Fat can help deal with choice locked fire types, and allow Miltank to set up rocks or act as cleric w/ Heal bell.
- Despite Miltank's natural bulk, staying in on Fighting types is not recommended
- If you're using Milk Drink to preserve Miltank throughout the course of the battle, you're doing something wrong. Miltank operates best at high health, and should be switched out when a target can do more that 50% damage on Miltank.
- If you've got a specially defensive wall, a Calm nature and 252EVs in Defense can make it so Miltank takes nearly any hit.
- Switching in on Choice locked fire types/grass types depending on Miltanks ability can help sway a battle in your favor.
- However, Thick Fat users should be aware that spec's Typhlosion and Pyroar can 2 hit KO Miltank w/ Focus blast and Hyper Voice respectively
- Miltank can be used, if at a comfortable amount of HP, to inflict status or set up.

Team Options
========
- Fairy Types are able to effectively switch in to Fighting-types, and most psychic types is able to take down Fighting-types.
- Any Ghost type can be switched in to a fighting type move, however they need to be wary of switching into a Knock Off, as most fighting types carry this for coverage
- Grass and Bug type Pokemon work well to lure Choiced users into attacking, and having Miltank eat the hit.

name: Moofesnive
move 1: Double Edge / Return
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Milk Drink
move 4: Stealth Rock / Fire Punch
ability: Scrappy / Sap Sipper
item: Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Speed
nature: Jolly / Adamant

Moves
========

- Earthquake can Deal with those Pesky Steel and Rock Types, while harnessing Miltank's not terrible attack.
- Milk Drink is a staple of all Miltank sets. It can use this to sdeal with low health, or recharge after Life Orb damage
- Fire/Ice Punch are good for some coverage, with Fire punch being huge to deal with Ferroseed.
- Return and Body slam all have decent STAB, with Body Slam offering the ability to paralyze.

Set Details
========
-This set utilizes miltanks bulk to ensure it can take hits, and deal them out.
-With solid recovery and great defences, Miltank has staying power, and it would be difficult to OHKO the cow. Super effective hits and strong choice boosted attacks can still hurt/kill Miltank however
- Scrappy helps Miltank dish out hits, while Sap Sipper provide resistances and boosts.
- With 100 speed, Miltank has an interesting speed tier, and can be used over Kangaskahn in some teams.

Usage Tips
========
- Switch in on a special wall or a physical attacker. Avoid switching in on physical walls!
-Although miltank has staying power, this set is not designed to sweep early on, but rather as a mid-late game wallbreaker.
- Keeping which of Miltank's two viable abilities are being used hidden from one's opponent is a valuable asset, and can help turn the tide.
- Scrappy and Sap Sipper both have their advantages, so pick whichever one best suits your team. If you're lacking coverage against ghosts, go scrappy.

Team Options
========
- Any special wall works
- In fact, specially defensive pokemon in general are great partners, specifically psychic, fairy, and ghost type pokemon in order to deal with fighting types.
-Magmortar, typholosian, and Pyroar works well to deal with steel types in order to deal chip damage.
- A nice Rock type like Archeops or Rhydon are good earlier in the game to open up sweeping late game

Other Options
########
- Zen Headbutt is a possibility if you're looking for some flinching
- Miltank gets the ability to use the move Curse, boosting its already high defense while allowing it to do some major damage. However, Scrappy is the only real choice, and any utility moves should be swapped for damaging moves on a curse set.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fighting-types**: Gurdurr, Sawk, and Hariyama are issues, Gurdurr more so with guts.

**Steel Types**: Miltank does not perform very well with steel types, who are clasically bulky in this tier. The best that can be done is a Seismic Toss swap out, but that sacrifices some attack.

**Special Attacking Pokemon**: Miltank cannot effectively stall out some high special attacking threats in this tier, especially choice users and focus blasters

**Taunters**: Fast taunt is killer, and hurts the utility aspect of this set

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Well I certainly hope AV Miltank does not come into fruition, because not having Milk Drink and other utility moves on Miltank would SUCK UDDERS.

Also, what do you mean having high speed hurts on stall sets? The high speed lets Miltank act accordingly before most Pokemon can move, that is a huge boon for a defensive Pokemon to have. Its main flaw is that it lacks good retaliating ability (especially since it is Normal-type), which leaves it rather prone to being set up on and takes a while to KO things. You could also mention its numerous abilities as one of its advantages, giving it advantages over Pokemon it otherwise shouldn't have.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Rejecting AV before you even write it.

Confused by your other sets. 8 points in Atk, Stealth Rock over Body Slam, and random Jolly nature with no Speed investment or explanation is the only difference between the two. What do the EVs do, and how are the roles any different?

Rejecting AV before you even write it.

Confused by your other sets. 8 points in Atk, Stealth Rock over Body Slam, and random Jolly nature with no Speed investment or explanation is the only difference between the two. What do the EVs do, and how are the roles any different?
Yeah I'll work on EVs, thats the one I used last gen, and I just realized I screwed up the EVs on the first one. The second one was supposed to be full cleric, while the first has some differences. As I said, WIP and new, so give me a bit to fix it up.

EDIT Changed the first set, and the second one is in process.

EDIT: Second one fixed. 1 Cleric, 1 All out Attacker.

Last edited:

Punchshroom

For your all-out attacker set, it's a good rule of thumb (and easier for readers) to list your most usable attacks (in this case, STAB) before listing its other moves in order of usefulness.

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
the set name and the thing above the #s needs to be the same FYI, and creative names aren't allowed or something idk

also, why scrappy on the first set? the only thing you're hitting with that is like tomb and missy, which miltank can toxic stall rather easily since they can like 6hko at best while thick fat allows you to switch right into fire spam.

the set name and the thing above the #s needs to be the same FYI, and creative names aren't allowed or something idk

also, why scrappy on the first set? the only thing you're hitting with that is like tomb and missy, which miltank can toxic stall rather easily since they can like 6hko at best while thick fat allows you to switch right into fire spam.
Scrappy is there for haunter, and any ghosts that taunt.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hmm, I know this is still WIP but there are some things that should be noted.

You contradict yourself by saying that Miltank has some of the best defenses in the tier and then saying that it is let down by its special bulk. You say Normal type hurts it, but you fail to mention that Thick Fat gives it resistances while Sap Sipper gives it another immunity. High Speed is a great thing on a defensive Pokemon because it means you do not have to invest too much to outspeed certain Pokemon (and why the Rayquaza mention in a NU analysis?). You literally make no mentions of its assortment of abilities either, which is pretty important as they decide what Miltank checks or not.

Honestly, you first set is really a utility set rather than an offensive cleric set like you named it. Stealth Rock should receive a slash, if not have its own slot. It provides much more overall utility, and Miltank is one of the faster bulky setters. Heal Bell should probably be slashed before Toxic instead, with Thunder Wave in Moves if you are using Return. Scrappy is pretty pointless on a utility set, and if you have Thunder Wave you already cripple the faster Ghost-types. Most of the time, you would want a Pursuit Pokemon to deal with Ghosts regardless. For a set like this, the resistances to Fire and Ice or the immunity to Grass is far more important that being able to hit everything with a rather weak Body Slam.

For Usage Tips for the first set, you really should not be recommending that players try and tank Fighting moves as that is what teammates are for and you basically cripple Miltank by doing so. The rest of the tips don't really tell anyone how to use Miltank, except that it should be kept healthy. You can add stuff like how Miltank should be kept around to continuously use Stealth Rock and Heal Bell as needed. Miltank is also a great check to Fire-types with Thick Fat and is able to threaten Cryogonal as well. Another tip would be to take advantage of your abilities and try and keep them hidden, as it means your opponent won't know if it is Thick Fat or Sap Sipper, causing some interesting mind games.

The bulky physical attacker would likely appreciate either Sap Sipper or Scrappy as its abilities. Offensive sets that aren't using Curse should take advantage of Miltank's good Speed and natural uninvested bulk and run Jolly max Speed imo. Facade should not be slashed, and at best should be in Other Options. I would actually consider Double Edge over Body Slam, but that's up to QC to decide. I'm also iffy on Ice Punch being a slash when most of the time Return and Double Edge hit just as hard. Same with Fire Punch, though I guess that is for Ferroseed and stuff. In all honesty, this set is basically the Moofensive set from last gen, which QC decided to place in OO instead because it was mediocre. Idk how it will fare this gen with all the strong threats around and Miltank's mediocre Atk.

A Curse set should be in OO, though idk if Moodoo will be worthy of its own set this gen either.

Hope this helps!

Hmm, I know this is still WIP but there are some things that should be noted.

You contradict yourself by saying that Miltank has some of the best defenses in the tier and then saying that it is let down by its special bulk. You say Normal type hurts it, but you fail to mention that Thick Fat gives it resistances while Sap Sipper gives it another immunity. High Speed is a great thing on a defensive Pokemon because it means you do not have to invest too much to outspeed certain Pokemon (and why the Rayquaza mention in a NU analysis?). You literally make no mentions of its assortment of abilities either, which is pretty important as they decide what Miltank checks or not.

Honestly, you first set is really a utility set rather than an offensive cleric set like you named it. Stealth Rock should receive a slash, if not have its own slot. It provides much more overall utility, and Miltank is one of the faster bulky setters. Heal Bell should probably be slashed before Toxic instead, with Thunder Wave in Moves if you are using Return. Scrappy is pretty pointless on a utility set, and if you have Thunder Wave you already cripple the faster Ghost-types. Most of the time, you would want a Pursuit Pokemon to deal with Ghosts regardless. For a set like this, the resistances to Fire and Ice or the immunity to Grass is far more important that being able to hit everything with a rather weak Body Slam.

For Usage Tips for the first set, you really should not be recommending that players try and tank Fighting moves as that is what teammates are for and you basically cripple Miltank by doing so. The rest of the tips don't really tell anyone how to use Miltank, except that it should be kept healthy. You can add stuff like how Miltank should be kept around to continuously use Stealth Rock and Heal Bell as needed. Miltank is also a great check to Fire-types with Thick Fat and is able to threaten Cryogonal as well. Another tip would be to take advantage of your abilities and try and keep them hidden, as it means your opponent won't know if it is Thick Fat or Sap Sipper, causing some interesting mind games.

The bulky physical attacker would likely appreciate either Sap Sipper or Scrappy as its abilities. Offensive sets that aren't using Curse should take advantage of Miltank's good Speed and natural uninvested bulk and run Jolly max Speed imo. Facade should not be slashed, and at best should be in Other Options. I would actually consider Double Edge over Body Slam, but that's up to QC to decide. I'm also iffy on Ice Punch being a slash when most of the time Return and Double Edge hit just as hard. Same with Fire Punch, though I guess that is for Ferroseed and stuff. In all honesty, this set is basically the Moofensive set from last gen, which QC decided to place in OO instead because it was mediocre. Idk how it will fare this gen with all the strong threats around and Miltank's mediocre Atk.

A Curse set should be in OO, though idk if Moodoo will be worthy of its own set this gen either.

Hope this helps!
The issue with not having a move on the cleric is it gets shut down totally by any ghost type, specifically haunter who can't get poison. I guess I'll put the abilities in the options, but frankly all 3 work.

But the rest of this is great, will be updated to reflect it soon!

I think we're ready for QC? Tear me a new one fellas!

EDIT: Am I supposed to tag or...?

Last edited:
Ok so I'm gonna focus on the offensive set, as I've used that a lot.
First of all the set should look like this
Mooffensive
########
name: Mooffensive
move 1: Double Edge
move 4: Stealth Rock/Fire Punch
ability: Scrappy/Sap Sipper
nature: Jolly/Adamant

When using offensive Miltank, you want to take advantage of its superb speed, not throw it away for bulk. Double Edge should be used because Miltank only has mediocre base 80 attack so it needs a high power STAB move to compensate. EQ for your standard normal resists, Milk Drink because duh, recovery is amazing, especially when you're taking DE+LO recoil. SR should be used in the last slot, but if you already have a user of that, Fire Punch is great to hit Ferroseed (though idek why you'd use this set if you didn't need rocks, might not even be worth a slash). Heal Bell could also be used in that last slot if you want an offensive cleric kind of set.

Thick Fat is pretty much useless compared to the other 2 abilities and shouldn't even be mentioned. Scrappy allows Miltank to basically have perfect coverage between Double Edge and Earthquake, while Sap Sipper is a nice surprise for stuff like Vileplume or Vivillon (+1 Miltank does more than enough to 2hko defensive Vileplume).

Ok so I'm gonna focus on the offensive set, as I've used that a lot.
First of all the set should look like this
Mooffensive
########
name: Mooffensive
move 1: Double Edge
move 4: Stealth Rock/Fire Punch
ability: Scrappy/Sap Sipper
nature: Jolly/Adamant

When using offensive Miltank, you want to take advantage of its superb speed, not throw it away for bulk. Double Edge should be used because Miltank only has mediocre base 80 attack so it needs a high power STAB move to compensate. EQ for your standard normal resists, Milk Drink because duh, recovery is amazing, especially when you're taking DE+LO recoil. SR should be used in the last slot, but if you already have a user of that, Fire Punch is great to hit Ferroseed (though idek why you'd use this set if you didn't need rocks, might not even be worth a slash). Heal Bell could also be used in that last slot if you want an offensive cleric kind of set.

Thick Fat is pretty much useless compared to the other 2 abilities and shouldn't even be mentioned. Scrappy allows Miltank to basically have perfect coverage between Double Edge and Earthquake, while Sap Sipper is a nice surprise for stuff like Vileplume or Vivillon (+1 Miltank does more than enough to 2hko defensive Vileplume).
Alad smh at dodgy EV's in hp

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
Don't try too hard with set names, really. Armoogeddon is, to say the least, not very good.

You have SR slashed, but do not mention it in the first set. Same for Thick Fat. If you slash it, you explain it. It's Stealth Rock, not Stealth Rocks. Mind the spacing around your slashes. I mean something more like

name: Specially Defensive
move 1: Body Slam
move 2: Milk Drink
move 3: Heal Bell
move 4: Toxic / Stealth Rock
ability: Thick Fat / Scrappy

You say switch in on a physical attacker, but you have no defensive investments, and is fully specially defensive. You can't take strong boosted physical attacks like that. I'd like more input on whether fully specially defensive is the right way to EV her, because I'm not sure it is just from skimming your outline. You say you need all round defenses, but you actually don't. It is common for defensive mons to completely neglect stuff that you can't tank anyways. If you say her physical defense is much better, why don't you just act like a physical tank? Thick Fat makes her a good special soak, but you don't mention anything so it's hard to see why a specially defensive Miltank is good. You fully invested in special defense, yet you still say strong special attackers beat it but physical attackers get walled. You have higher special defense than defense with this spread! This makes your outline sound very confused.

Scrappy is still worth a slash because you probably do well against Taunt Missy, which otherwise destroys defensive teams.

Facade on defensive set is bad. Don't mention it in the set comments when you could be mentioning other stuff that you actually slashed.

For the second set, this set is a much better alternative. And it was mentioned a few weeks ago. It also follows Punchshroom's advice on putting your main STAB move in the first slot. Investing in her speed is most definitely worth it on a fully offensive set. If an offensive Miltank set will get through QC, this is probably the only one.

name: Offensive

Facade on offensive sets is still a terrible choice. It doesn't actually help you deal with Burn, which is the most crippling status as an offensive Miltank. You seem kind of obsessed with that move but it's not very good on anything other than Guts sweepers. It's too unreliable to rely on your opponent to status Miltank for you.

I feel like I'm parroting everything that were already said above, but you haven't actually implemented any of them...

I have made edits to reflect the changes requested today. Sorry for the long absence I've been abroad in Europe/Quite busy.

I really liked to use this set, what do other people think?

Bulky Attacker
########
name: Bulky Attacker
move 1: Curse
move 2: Body Slam
move 4: Heal Bell / Stealth Rock
ability: Scrappy

Max SpD ensure Miltank is protected from being OHKOed by all-out Specially Offensive attackers. No need to invest in Atk, Body Slam gets STAB and after some Curse boosts it really becomes a terrifying move.

Punchshroom

I really liked to use this set, what do other people think?

Bulky Attacker
########
name: Bulky Attacker
move 1: Curse
move 2: Body Slam
move 4: Heal Bell / Stealth Rock
ability: Scrappy

Max SpD ensure Miltank is protected from being OHKOed by all-out Specially Offensive attackers. No need to invest in Atk, Body Slam gets STAB and after some Curse boosts it really becomes a terrifying move.
This is the Curse set listed in OO.

Btw Shgeldz, Seismic Toss can be slashed with Body Slam on the first set (preferably replacing Return), as Body Slam clashes with Toxic's poison chance, while Seismic Toss allows Miltank to do reliable (albeit predictable) damage against most opponents, namely Steel-types. I feel Thick Fat and Sap Sipper should be the only slashed for abilities on the utility set as its main function is to wall things like Typhlosion and Lilligant, respectively; Scrappy can see a mention in Set Details for warding off Ghosts, although Toxic already keeps them from switching in for free (bar Haunter), and teammates that can handle Ghosts tend to be more ideal...unless you want Miltank to wall Ghosts.

Take care when mentioning special attackers in the C&C section, since Miltank is supposed to be able to wall some of the tier's most dangerous special attackers using its abilities (albeit not at once).

You still didn't manage to list all the changes that should be implemented. The Set Detail's EV spread does not match the description of the set's EVs. I don;t know why the utility set's Usage Tips mentions something about not using Milk Drink when the move is not even slashed or anything. You'll need to polish this analysis up.

I mean, I've made the changes asked and have been waiting for some QC, can someone check this now?

Last edited:

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Shgeldz sorry no one has gotten around to this, in the future if you need QC checks feel free to tag or vm members of the QC team provided its not excessive. My comments are in bold.

Where's the Beef? Miltank is MilDANK
First time doing this go easy

Overview
########

+Amazing support sets
+Some of the best defenses in the tier
+Surprisingly fantastic speed (Like, really, oddly high for a fat cow)
+Access to many clerical moves like heal bell/milk drink
-Walled by common Normal or steal types
-Mediocre Attack Stat

Udder Madness should probably be changed to defensive since this doesnt exactly give the reader a clue as to what the set does.
########
name: Udder Madness
move 1: Body Slam/Return i'd probably just mention return in moves, as body slam is almost always better on defensive tank.
move 2: Heal Bell
move 4: Toxic/Stealth Rock Stealth Rock should definitely be the first slash, it's one of the best things Miltank has going for it, I'd probably slash toxic after heal bell if anything. Also make the set order 1.body slam 2.milk drink 3. stealth rock. 4. heal bell / toxic
ability: Scrappy/Thick Fat this should be sap sipper as first slash and thick fat as second, scrappy isn't really useful as the goal of the set is a defensive wall, and not a physical attacker. sap sipper allows you to switch in on things like lilligant and tangela that would beat this set otherwise.

Moves
========

- Body Slam/Return with scrappy allows Miltank to hit many ghosts, along with moderate STAB. Body Slam also has a chance to paralyze first due to Miltank's high speed. remove mention of scrappy and say it offers utility in that it has a chance to paralyze faster threats like Lilligant Leafeon and any non-ghost switch in.
- Heal Bell is a must for Burn or Toxic, so that Miltank can remain at high health, as well as adds cleric ability to the team.
- Milk Drink is a staple of all Miltank sets. With it's okay HP, and high defense stats, Miltank can continue to recover and take hits
-Toxic helps tear down walls, and can be backed up with Miltanks okay attack. stealth rock needs to be here, entry hazards are a great way to weaken opponents and help support the team.

Set Details
========
- Max HP and 252 SpD help Miltank be an all around defensive Wall, while 64 attack ensure it can hit many threats with at least some damage, while whittling away their HP. mention tanks awesome defense stat saying that it doesnt need investment to take things like knock off and u-turn
- Scrappy is a staple of this set, allowing Miltank to keep momentum going even in Ghost switch ins. what exactly are the ghost types doing to miltank anyways? lol. again remove this and just mention it in other options
- This set operates best at above 50% health, allowing for Milk Drink spam. Thus, Leftovers is Key. change this to say milk drink and leftovers allow miltank to tank repeated hits throughout the course of the battle, and say keeping miltank at a good amount of hp is essential.
-With Miltanks base 100 speed, it outspeeds many taunt users.

Usage Tips
========
- This set requires some bravery, but Miltank can live many switch in attacks with its strong defenses, and either hit back or heal next turn. I don't see how you have to be brave to use this set lol, mention that with sap sipper you can switch into grass types both physical and special without much difficulty. and mention seperately that with thick fat choice locked fire types are also easy to switch in on and weaken/set up stealth rocks/heal bell on.
- Gurdurr is an issue with this set, especially with guts. I'd probably change this to say something like despite miltanks high defense stat it's not wise to stay in on fighting types.
- If you're not running Milk Drink, you're doing something wrong. Miltank operates best at high health, and should be switched out when a target can do more that 50% damage on Miltank. change this to say use milk drink when needed to preserve miltank throughout the course of the battle.
- If you've got a specially defensive wall, a Calm nature and 252EVs in Defense can make it so Miltank takes nearly any hit. mention this in other options as right now you're describing the set thats listed not possible ones.
- Switch in on a wall or a physical attacker, and prioritize heal bell if needed, than toxic and milk drink, while eating up attacks. i'd change this to say switching in on choice locked fire types or grass types respectively depending upon the ability you choose.
- Miltank can be switched in to take hits, heal up, then status/get rocks off before switching out. It can and should be kept around for this purpose this is kinda the same thing you said above, maybe change it to say that if miltank is at a comfortable amount of HP you can take the opportunity to set up stealth rock of fire off a toxic.

Mention that while thick fat is a great ability switching miltank into Fire type pokemon can be dangerous as both Choice Specs Typhlosion and Pyroar have the ability to 2HKO it after rocks with Focus Blast and Hyper Voice respectively

Team Options
========
- Granbull is able to effectively switch in to Fighting-types, and Mesprit is able to take down Fighting-types. mention granbull and mesprit under fairy and psychic types as a whole.
- Any Ghost type can be switched in to a fighting type move. make sure you mention ghost types such as mismagius and rotom, and mention that they need to be wary of Knock Off as almost all fighting types cary it as coverage.
- Miltank works very well on walls, but works very well when paired with a special defensive wall like Regice. suggesting regice may not be the best idea as it's not all that common and they both share a weakness to fighting types, maybe mention Physically Defensive Musharna and Seismitoad here instead as the former handles fighting types and the latter appreciates the grass immunity while providing a physical wall to complement spdef miltank.
-Magmortar works well to deal with steel types. this really isn't relevant as miltank isn't meant to be sweeping through the opposition with this set.

Mention Grass and Bug Type pokemon as they enjoy having a switch into faster fire and ice type pokemon. Liligant Vileplume Vivillon are good examples.

name: Moofesnive

Moves
========

- Earthquake can Deal with those Pesky Steel Types, while harnessing Miltank's not terrible attack. it also hits rock types
- Milk Drink is a staple of all Miltank sets. It can use this to stall out any physical attackers, or deal with low health. I wouldn't suggest using milk drink to stall physical attackers seeing as this is an offensive set. rather its good for recovering from life orb and double edge recoil or switching into weaker physical attacks such as u-turn and non-stab knock off.
- Fire/Ice Punch are good for some coverage, while Zen Headbutt makes up for not using Scrappy to deal with threats like Haunter. Ice punch only gives you super effective coverage on drifblim and gourgeist which you already hit with scrappy zen headbutt literally only gives coverage on haunter which isn't used often enough to deserve a mention outside of MAYBE other options. Fire punch is huge here as if you already have a stealth rock user on your team it gives you a way to bypass ferroseed.
- Return and Body slam all have decent STAB, with Body Slam offering the ability to paralyze.

Set Details
========
-This set utilizes miltanks bulk to ensure it can take hits, and deal them out.
-With solid recovery and great defenses, Miltank has staying power, and it would be difficult to OHKO the cow. mention that super effective hits and strong choice boosted attacks can still easily kill miltank (i.e. close combat, specs eruption/fire blast etc.)
- Scrappy helps Miltank dish out hits, while Thick Fat/Sap Sipper provide resistances and boosts respectively. remove mentions of thick fat on this set, it's the worst ability choice on offensive tank and adds very little utility.

mention that miltank has a very niche speed tier at base 100 making it a solid choice over Kangashkan on some teams.

Usage Tips
========
- Switch in on a wall or a physical attacker, and prioritize stealth rock or heal bell as needed, then toxic next turn to start turning the tables make sure you mention that you should switch in on special walls like audino and not physical ones like rhydon lol. it also sounds like you're still talking about hte defensive set here for some reason??
-Although miltank has staying power, this set is not designed to sweep, but rather to support. the set is in no way designed to support? it's an offensive life orb attacker that focuses on wallbreaking and allowing other fast physical attacking teammates to sweep late game.
- Keeping which of Miltank's three viable abilities are being used hidden from one's opponent is a valuable asset, and can help turn the tide. there's only two viable abilitys on this set so remove the mention of thick fat. you also need to mention seperately that if you choose to use sap sipper to try and gain attack boosts from grass types that you lose the utility of hitting ghost types.

Team Options
========
- Any special wall works
- Any Ghost type can be switched in to a fighting type move. change this to say specially defensive pokemon rather than walls, and mention psychic fairy and ghost types as one as they deal with super effective fighting types.
-Magmortar works well to deal with steel types. mention other fire types like typhlosion and pyroar as theyre more relevant and also enjoy the chip damage on bulkier pokemon throughout the match. archeops and other physical attackers deserve a mention as miltank can typically weaken some of the counters to these pokemon (rhydon in archeops case for example) and open up sweeping opportunities for them late game.

Other Options
########

this would be the place to suggest zen heabutt on sap sipper offensive tank, mention that it literally hits nothing outside of haunter for super effective damage however.
- Either ability works, depending on your team. Sap sipper works wonders if you're looking for grass immunity this doesn't belong in other options.
- If you've already got a special wall, you can pump some of those SpD EVs into attack and run a normal type move. i dont even know what you're trying to say here, but i'd probably cut this as if they have a special wall adn theyre looking at miltank they'll probably already be running offensive?
- Try swapping out Toxic for Stealth Rocks if you're looking for a more Utility based Pokemon/Don't have a Stealth Rocks. you have this covered in set details and moves already, its not an other option.
- Miltank gets the ability to use the move Curse, boosting its already high defense while allowing it to do some major damage. mention that if they choose to run curse they typically have to forgo stealth rock / toxic and are forced to run scrappy.

Checks & Counters
########

**Fighting-types**: Both Gurdurr and Hariyama are issues, Gurdurr moreso with guts. also mention sawk.

**Steel Types**: Miltank does not perform very well with steel types, who are clasically bulky in this tier. The best that can be done is a Seismic Toss swap out, but that sacrifices some attack. if you're mentioning steels here it needs to be in reference to the physical atacker set, change this to reflect that while also keeping the mention that defensive tank can run stoss to deal with them.

**Special Attacking Pokemon**: Miltank cannot effectively stall out some high special attacking threats in this tier like Rotom-F the spdef tank set you have listed beats rotom-f... change this to strong special attackers, especially those that carry a choice item or have access to focus blast.

**Liepard**: Prankster taunt is killer, and hurts the utility aspect of this set liepard is apparently running taunt now Soulgazer lol. change this to say encore if you include liepard, but i'd probably change it to say tuant users like misgmagius but mention they have to be wary of an offensive miltank.

rock types deserve a mention as counters regirock and rhydon come to mind, and ferroseed needs to be listed under steels with a mention that it needs to be wary of fire punch.

mention ghost types for sets that lack scrappy.
this still needs a lot of work, once other qc members add input and some changes are implemented i'd be happy to check again. if you haven't already made teams playing with both sets i'd recommend doing so trying out some of these changes.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Shgeldz are you still working on this? If not, I or another person would be happy to work on this.
Please leave asking questions like this to the QC team as it is not your place to ask. That being said if you feel like you know certain stuff about the Pokemon and would like to comment on what you think should be on the analyses please feel free to.

Shgeldz please implement what Kiyo suggested as there is quite a bit that needs to be changed. Some things I would like to add on to what Kiyo has suggested is that C&C needs to be filled out with specific scenarios of what you have and how it either checks or counters miltank. For instance in Fighting-types would I want to switch something fast and frail like Sawk in directly and risk getting paralyzed by body slam? I might want to do that with Hariyama / Gurdurr but are these 2HKOd? can they switch in multiple times etc. etc.

marilli

With you
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Former Other Tournament Circuit Champion
More of a nitpick, but when you slash 2 moves it should be like

move 4: Move Name / Move Name
ability: Ability Name / Ability Name

note the spacing

Seismic Toss should be mentioned in moves of the defensive set. Mention the loss of paralysis chance is really bad, but it lets it do more consistent damage to bulky mons and break substitutes. You even talk about it in C&C so it has to be mentioned somewhere on the main analysis. Mention it is especially more viable if you have Toxic on the last slot so you don't have 2 conflicting status.

Also Thunder Wave should also be mentioned for more reliable paralysis. At least somewhere on the analysis.

I feel like this is a no-brainer but you change the sets but don't change the set comments. It still talks about 64 Attack EVs, which accomplishes nothing. We changed the move order but you haven't changed the comments on them.

If you're using Milk Drink to preserve Miltank throughout the course of the battle, you're doing something wrong.
ok

If you've got a specially defensive wall, a Calm nature and 252EVs in Defense can make it so Miltank takes nearly any hit.
what does this mean isn't max special defense the main spread on the main set

In fact, specially defensive pokemon in general are great partners, specifically psychic, fairy, and ghost type pokemon in order to deal with fighting types.
Fighters are special attackers?

Defensive set has had specially defensive spread for like forever and it still talks about being a physical wall and having to pair it with special wall. Defensive Miltank isn't particularly weak to just physical or special attacks. It's fully specially defensive in spread, and your natural physical bulk allows you take physical moves given that it's not boosted and it's not a fighting type move. Its weakness as a defensive mon is a lack of meaningful resists other than whatever its ability gives her, and her inability to do much back if Body Slam rolls won't paralyze. Other than that, she has no other meaningful resists so most power-hitters like LO Samurott Hydro Pump and boosted waterfalls and stuff are big no-nos regardless of whether they're physical or special.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)