Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

Since it was my post that was deleted, I was actually looking for anyone to play with from here on the off-chance someone got lucky like me. ("Is anyone else in the same boat?") I'm not trying to lord it over anyone's head, I'd just like to find some decent competition.

The Smogon SSB Google+ community is now live! Join the community here: https://plus.google.com/communities/110775342240377195713

If you're looking to play, start a google hangout by clicking the drop down menu in the top corner, clicking on hangouts, and inviting the Google+ community. There probably won't be enough people to flesh out a Google+ hangout until at least the European launch, but feel free to try. Be sure to also advertise it on IRC.

So, let's get to the topic of a tournament. I think it'd be best to have a live tournament to start off for a few hours. We can do a traditional slow tournament if we want, but I thinking getting in a quick one while people are excited and playing the game sounds best. I was thinking of three possible general rule sets. Which do you guys like the best?

Each rule set have some of the same over arching rules. Items are off, customization is off (for the sake of most of us not having the custom moves we want).
  • For Glory Style: 2 stock, 5 minutes. Only FD stages are allowed.
  • For Glory Style + other stages: 2 Stock, 5 minutes. FD variants, Battlefield, Yoshi's Island, and Lumiose City are allowed.
  • Traditional Style: 3 Stock 8 minutes. FD variants, Battlefield, Yoshi's Island, and Lumiose City are allowed.
Which rule set do you prefer? Feel free to make suggestions as well.

As for when the tournament would be, I have a few time frames I can work in to host things:
  • Anytime on Friday up to 6pm EST
  • 10pm EST and onward on Friday
  • Anytime on Saturday
Which time frame would you guys like to play in?

I know a few people lurking here have 3DS capture cards, so if for some reason you want to record your matches or a grand finals, feel free.

I have Uni and work on Friday so I can't download it til rly l8 :( I might try stay up til 3 am for that 10 pm est tourney because ill be up playing it anyway prob!

so hyped!!

I'm voting Saturday as well, as I have uni, work, and a local smash meetup on friday. I voted for traditional but I'm fine with For Glory + as well.

A quick one works first. If people aren't here it's easy enough to improvise and we can have a longer one once people settle in.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Tbh, I'd prefer Saturday, but not because it's better for me. It'll give us a day to work with some of the characters and maybe find early favorites for us all, thus making the tournament better and more competitive. I'm cool with any ruleset tbh.

Do any of you guys know why I'm seeing so many Lucina's even in tournament games? She legitimately just seems like a "Marth for new players" rather than a not outclassed/better (I hope to god not) version of Marth. Is it just because new character hype or am I missing something?

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Yeah agreed on Saturday thing. I'd prefer the most casual rules possible mostly because I'm trash and I'm playing from Thailand.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Do any of you guys know why I'm seeing so many Lucina's even in tournament games? She legitimately just seems like a "Marth for new players" rather than a not outclassed/better (I hope to god not) version of Marth. Is it just because new character hype or am I missing something?
I think it's because marth's tipper is kind of bad? I think it's that he has more potential but Lucina is a lot more consistent in kills. Also, her up smash with no tipper is really good I hear.

Never, EVER, underestimate the power of the waifu.
Your waifu is a bad waifu and you should feel bad.

My honest guess is that she's easier, I mean tipper really doesn't seem to be bad on an experienced Marth since you're generally better at zoning that way, but I guess Lucina might have a niche in being more consistent like what Gatodelfuego said. :\ As long as a clone doesn't outclass one of my favorites I'll be fine.

Last edited:

Pic of the day. This assist trophy is Sheriff. Sheriff was an arcade game released in 1979. In this game, the players aim by choosing one of eight directions to shoot using a second joystick separate from the one that controls movement. It was quite a revolutionary game for its time. For shooting games overseas, it's common to see games that utilize the left stick to move around and the right to determine the direction to shoot, so we can say the origin of modern shooting games was this game--which is pretty remarkable.

(Any possiblily that TheMantyke will be using this face as a profile picture?)

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Duck Hunt (Dog? Duo?) certainly has a great projectile game on his hands and is looking to be a great character. I've heard that if you can keep rushing him down though, he becomes a lot weaker. Big, easy to hit characters like Dedede and Bowser don't seem to enjoy him. Characters like Sonic apparently give him some trouble. I'm also very curious to see how Rosalina's Down B interacts with his flurry of projectiles.
There's a great match of them on YouTube. Can't find it right now. This one is a pretty poor match, but shows off her stopping can about halfway through. From what I've seen, it looks like Rosalina stops both can and frisbee with Down B. That combined with zoning from Luma could make her a tough matchup. I plan on playing both these characters heavily. They seem right up my alley :>

I would love to smash now that I have Internet access for my 3ds. I'm unavailable all weekend, but I am game for the following weeks.

Last edited:
"Anytime on Friday up to 6pm EST" would again be the best timeslot for me personally, but I can probably make the others work at the small cost of gas. As for ruleset, I am again all for more inclusive stages. I feel traditional is decidedly the more competitive ruleset so that is where my vote goes but I'd ultimately leave the decision up to the TOs and how much time they'll have to run things. Important sets can always be given more time; this is nothing new.

I don't have any experience with managing a bracket personally, but I have friends quite involved in the scene and Tio seems to be an effective Tournament organizing software. I also do know a friend with a recording setup, and they did in fact get an early copy from Nintendo Yoshi King ; I'm pretty sure https://twitter.com/pidgezero_one wouldn't have issue with anyone contacting them for some matches.

AfroThunderRule

*yawn* ez
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
You guys can download the Super Smash Bros 4 patch/update right now (1.02.) on eShop and not have to download it when you get the game. (Yes, you can get it if you don't have the game right now.)

Just so you won't waste any time. And who knows how laggy eShop will be when Smash Bros is released at midnight, might as well get it now.

I don't have any experience with managing a bracket personally, but I have friends quite involved in the scene and Tio seems to be an effective Tournament organizing software.
http://tiopro.com/

This is an amazing bracket creator and running machine, yeah. It's what almost every major smash event uses unless they have their own software. Mind you, we're on smogon so I'm well aware they have experience running tournaments.

You guys can download the Super Smash Bros 4 patch/update right now (1.02.) on eShop and not have to download it when you get the game. (Yes, you can get it if you don't have the game right now.)

Just so you won't waste any time. And who knows how laggy eShop will be when Smash Bros is released at midnight, might as well get it now.
Is the update actually necessary for those going digital? I thought it was said that the digital version would come pre-patched.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)