Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted User 241617

Banned deucer.
I was wondering why Landorus-I was moved down to A+ rank?
This is copied from Alexwolfs post in the OU viability rank thread:

Landorus dropped because it's hard hitting ability is less needed as the metagame becomes more offensive, while its only good Speed becomes a bigger flaw. Also, it competes for a teamslot with Landorus-T, adding a significant opportunity cost.

This is copied from Alexwolfs post in the OU viability rank thread:

Landorus dropped because it's hard hitting ability is less needed as the metagame becomes more offensive, while its only good Speed becomes a bigger flaw. Also, it competes for a teamslot with Landorus-T, adding a significant opportunity cost.
Ah. That makes sence. Thank you!

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I couldn't find a Q&A thread in the Tournament Subforum, so I'm going to ask this here.

Is it possible to hold a private tournament on PS! or do we have to just manually set up the matches through the chatroom?

Reactions: AM
I couldn't find a Q&A thread in the Tournament Subforum, so I'm going to ask this here.

Is it possible to hold a private tournament on PS! or do we have to just manually set up the matches through the chatroom?
I know you can set up public tournaments in the tournament room but i suppose if you want it to be private you would have to pm everyone. Not sure though, mainly because im not sure what you mean by private.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I know you can set up public tournaments in the tournament room but i suppose if you want it to be private you would have to pm everyone. Not sure though, mainly because im not sure what you mean by private.
My college video game club wanted to do a tournament using PS! and I was hoping we wouldn't have to manually PM everyone or do something like collect all of their teams (using 2 accounts to do all
the battles) and manually shift through them as people are eliminated.

I'm trying out Bullet Punch/Knock Off/Superpower/SD Mega Scizor. I'm already using 252 EVs and an Adamant nature as well. How much speed should I put on it? Right now I'm using 136 speed EVs to outspeed 44 EV Rotom-W. Should I speed creep for anything more than that?

You can try going in the tournaments room, and advertise your tournaments there, it is possible to make your own tournaments that only people you want to join using challonge.com Hope I helped!

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm trying out Bullet Punch/Knock Off/Superpower/SD Mega Scizor. I'm already using 252 EVs and an Adamant nature as well. How much speed should I put on it? Right now I'm using 136 speed EVs to outspeed 44 EV Rotom-W. Should I speed creep for anything more than that?
I think that is definitely enough speed, but I would go with bug bite over knock off because you already have superpower to hit steel types. I mean, after an SD anything that doesn't resist adamant max attack technician boosted bug bite will take massive damage, even OHKOing rotom-w 75% of the time after SR damage.

Last edited:
I think that is definitely enough speed, but I would go with bug bite over knock off because you already have superpower to hit steel types. I mean, after an SD anything that doesn't resist adamant max attack technician boosted bug bite will take massive damage, even OHKOing rotom-w 75% of the time after SR damage.
Yeah, I could go with Bug Bite. Knock Off does have uses in OHKOing Talon and Thundy-I on the switch at +2, and potentially crippling Glsicor (if you hit before the Toxic Orb activates) and Shed Shell Skarm. The last one is important to my team, because I'm using Mag to trap Skarm and Ferro, and Knocking Off the Shed Shell on the predicted switch is helpful. Bug Bite would be better for general use though. Thanks for the suggestion.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, I could go with Bug Bite. Knock Off does have uses in OHKOing Talon and Thundy-I on the switch at +2, and potentially crippling Glsicor (if you hit before the Toxic Orb activates) and Shed Shell Skarm. The last one is important to my team, because I'm using Mag to trap Skarm and Ferro, and Knocking Off the Shed Shell on the predicted switch is helpful. Bug Bite would be better for general use though. Thanks for the suggestion.
Trapping those two isn't that important for mega scizor, as ferrothorn is obliterated by superpower at +2 and the best skarm can do to you is go for counter or whirlwind. Having 2 steel types can be useful because they perform different roles, but having a compounded weakness to fire types can stink (especially when going up against something like jolly sd talonflame which outspeed mag)

Trapping those two isn't that important for mega scizor, as ferrothorn is obliterated by superpower at +2 and the best skarm can do to you is go for counter or whirlwind. Having 2 steel types can be useful because they perform different roles, but having a compounded weakness to fire types can stink (especially when going up against something like jolly sd talonflame which outspeed mag)
Mag helps against Ferro because then Scizor doesn't rack up Iron Barb chip damage, which helps because I'm not using Roost (Mag also blocks those nasty Suicide T-Waves). Skarm can be tough to handle, because while Superpower 2HKOs Skarm, the power drop after allows Skarm to keep Roosting and stall out Superpower. Counter Skarm can also be an issue. Whirlwind and SR also allows Skarm to keep Scizor from setting up, and WW can lead to racking up chip damage. Also, I'm over prepared for Fire types just for using Scizor, so another Steel isn't trouble.

Tldr, Mag cleans up Skarm way more efficiently, doesn't fear Counter from Skarm, and saves Mega Scizor from chip damage.

Archas

Getting over the barrier
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Community Leader Alumnus
I'm kind of lost on the concept of checks and how to define them. They seem very nebulous to me. Like, soft and hard counters are ideas I am familiar with and can understand, but a check less so. I know, for instance, that a counter is a Pokemon that can switch in on any move from a given Pokemon's common and viable sets and either force it out, KO it, or shut down its defensive utility. Meanwhile, the common definition for a check is a Pokemon that can do the same IF given a free switch (and who may or may not be vulnerable to certain coverage moves).

The confusion for me starts when people mention hard checks, soft checks, and shaky checks. I can infer that soft and shaky are roughly synonymous with each other, but I still don't know how to compare hard and soft checks. What can a hard check do to threaten the opponent that a soft check cannot? Are soft checks too vulnerable to common coverage moves, meaning they're best meant to threaten a Choice-locked 'mon?

If someone could explain the difference for me, that'd be great. :)

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Checks can be a bit tricky to define. According to the official definition : "Pokémon A checks Pokémon B if, when Pokémon A is given a free switch into Pokémon B, Pokémon A can win every time, even under the worst case scenario, without factoring in hax." But obviously, some checks are better than others. I'd call a hard check something which can't switch into every move a Pokemon can fire at it, but switches into most of them, and, more importantly, can easily switch into the most likely or most commonly used move move. For instance, Latios is a hard check to Keldeo, since it switches into every move bar Icy Wind with relative ease, and can OHKO from there. It's also a hard check to Landorus-I, since it takes nothing from earth Power, Focus Blast or Psychic and OHKOs back. It's not a counter, since it can't switch into Knock Off, but it does have a relatively easy time switching in on Landorus-I, so it's a very good check.

A soft or shaky check would be something that cannot switch into most moves the opposing Pokemon carries or switch into a move it is likely to use, and/or needs prior damage to beat it. For instance, Life Orb Mamoswine can't switch into Latios's Draco Meteor, and needs chip damage on it to guarantee to KO it with Ice Shard, it therefore qualifies as a soft check. This also applies to Pokemon that can beat other Pokemon under specific conditions (like Ferrothorn vs Keldeo locked into Scald, or Thunderbolt Latios vs an Azumarill which just used Belly Drum). I don't really think there's much of difference between soft counters and shaky ones, but I'd guess that a shaky check needs a bit of luck on its side to win . For example, LO Gengar checks Unscarfed Tyranitar just as long as Focus Blast hits.

Again, it's pretty hard to define what is and isn't a check, especially when you delve into the territory of revenge killing, but basically, a check should be able to switch in on one move from the opposing Pokemon and either beat it or heavily cripple it (for instance, Thunder Wave Slowbro can't do too much to Charizard-X in terms of damage, but it can paralyze it for the rest of the team to deal with it). Also, the more likely you are to be switching in on a move that doesn't damage or cripple you a lot, the better a check you are in general.. I hope this helps.

I'm kind of lost on the concept of checks and how to define them. They seem very nebulous to me. Like, soft and hard counters are ideas I am familiar with and can understand, but a check less so. I know, for instance, that a counter is a Pokemon that can switch in on any move from a given Pokemon's common and viable sets and either force it out, KO it, or shut down its defensive utility. Meanwhile, the common definition for a check is a Pokemon that can do the same IF given a free switch (and who may or may not be vulnerable to certain coverage moves).

The confusion for me starts when people mention hard checks, soft checks, and shaky checks. I can infer that soft and shaky are roughly synonymous with each other, but I still don't know how to compare hard and soft checks. What can a hard check do to threaten the opponent that a soft check cannot? Are soft checks too vulnerable to common coverage moves, meaning they're best meant to threaten a Choice-locked 'mon?

If someone could explain the difference for me, that'd be great. :)
Here's how I always looked at it. Counter vs. check is like you said, whether the pokemon needs a free switch to deal with its target. Blissey counters Jolteon, Jolteon checks Gyarados.

Hard vs. Soft is how definite the roles are, and I look at it in terms of degrees rather than being one or the other.. Scarfed Jolteon is a hard check to Gyarados because Gyarados will never run anything that prevents a thunderbolt from OHKOing it (and with a scarf, Gyarados can't outspeed even after a DD on the switch-in). If Gyarados regularly ran assault vest sets, then Jolteon would be a softer check to Gyarados, in proportion with how often Gyarados runs those sets.

(Yes, I know Jolteon is poor in OU. I'm just using it as an example.)

I look at hard vs. soft counter similarly, i.e. what sets does the target run that prevents the pokemon from being a counter, such as Garchomp running Fire Blast for Skarm. It's rare, but it still realistically exists, so Skarm isn't a 100% hard counter to Chomp. And the softer the counter something is, the more it's like a hard check. (Usage of different EV spreads/abilities/natures matter too.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)