Battle Maison Discussion & Records

Grass Knot is useful, but Togekiss learns another great move: Aura Sphere, which hits Glaceon, Walrein and Regigigas while ignoring BrightPowder and does decent damage to Rock threats, though not enough to KO. It also hits Steels not named Scizor/Forretress decently, so it could replace Flamethrower. Scizor4 has Occa Berry, so Flamethrower misses the KO anyway. Forretress4 only has entry hazard moves (which your back-ups don't care about too much) and Explosion, and is generally PuP bait/free-win unless it surprises you with a Custap Berry Explosion. Ditto for Skarmory4, except it has Toxic and Whirlwind.

Air Slash as the primary move with 95% accuracy sounds a bit dangerous, especially if using it repeatedly to flinch, but not much can be done about that.

I'm not overly sold on Sitrus Berry. A boosting item like Life Orb would allow it to do more damage while Khan uses Fake Out, especially for non-STAB Aura Sphere if you choose to go for it.

Speed-wise, Modest could be an option:

142 - Greninja 1, Kangaskhan 1, ALL Klinklang, Lucario 1, Moltres (1,2), Porygon-Z (1,2), Roserade 2
141 - Charizard 1, Salamence 2
140 - Sceptile 4
139 - Absol (3,4), Hydreigon 2
138 - Hawlucha 2, Haxorus 2, Seismitoad (3,4)
137 - Articuno 4, Heracross 2, Mismagius 2, Nidoking (3,4), Pinsir (1,2), Sawk (1,2,4), ALL Toxicroak
136 - Electivire (1,2), Skuntank (1,2), Zebstrika 1
135 - Magmortar 2
134 - Bisharp 3, Breloom (2,3), Metagross 1, Skarmory 1
133 - Gyarados 2, Serperior 3
132 - Altaria 2, Blaziken (3,4), Braviary (2,4), Dragonite (2,4), Drifblim (2,4), Exploud 4, Gardevoir 4, Mandibuzz (1,2), Medicham (1,4), Shiftry 2, Togekiss 4

What this speed range has in common is that Kangaskhan outspeeds them before Mega Evolution and KOs many threats like Sawk, Toxicroak, Medicham, Blaziken and Gardevoir with Return. Articuno4 has Tailwind/Blizzard and would be KO'd by double targeting with Timid, though Fake Out + Return is also a KO.
I'm not sure about Aura Sphere>Flamethrower, I think there are enough Fighting-type moves in the team(it could help against Aggron/Probopass/Bastiodon though, but I think Toge should just switch to Conk), and without a Fire move, I can't get rid of stuff like Escavalier and Ferrothorn quickly(and Iron Barbs hurts Conk/Khan). Scizor too, but I forgot its Occa Berry:p So, I'll keep Flamethrower for now, and if I see that things like Tyranitar, Glaceon, Regigigas, and Walrein give the team trouble, I'll change it to Aura Sphere:)

Yeah, we can't do anything about Air Slash's accuracy(Wide Lens pls)

About Toge's nature, I think I'll keep the Timid nature for now. I went with a speed-boosting nature at first because I wanted to outspeed Toxicroak, and KO it with Air Slash(and actually 236 Spe EVs get Toge a jump point). I know Khan can do that too, but I shouldn't rely on Khan to outspeed and kill everything, right? What if I go with a Modest nature, and there's a Toxicroak/Tyrantrum lead(not sure if that's possible lol)? Also, Toge is pretty strong, even with a neutral nature(base 120 is respectable).

Thanks for the feedback:)

edit:Oh right, the item, I forgot, sorry. I don't think I'll change Toge's Sitrus Berry to a more offensive item, such as Life Orb, because I really like the extra HP it provides, especially with Toge's HP being invested only by 20 EVs. I think Life Orb would cut its health quickly.

Last edited:

NoCheese

"Jack, you have debauched my sloth!"
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If I were to use an Adamant Talonflame in the Maison, which spread should I go for? Can I neglect speed and focus on HP to make it bulkier? Or should I max speed even though I'll be relying on Gale Wings Brave Bird for damage (possibly Acrobatics, I'll see which one works best)
Adamant Max Attack / Max HP is fine, since as you note, you'll be relying most heavily on Brave Bird, and thanks to Talonflame's high base Speed, even without investment you'll still outrun most of the Steel-types that are your main targets for Flare Blitz. I've never tried Talonflame in singles, but I can say from experience in triples that in a surprisingly large number of battles, Max HP Talonflame has survived turns at between 1 and 31 HP. Talonflame gets an extra 31 HP from maxing its HP EVs, so max Speed Talonflame would have been KOed in all of these situations. With all the recoil you take, the extra bulk really helps.

I'd imagine that you'd be best served with a set of Brave Bird / Flare Blitz / Swords Dance / Tailwind (with Tailwind being a situational support move, rather than the every battle staple it is in triples).

--

On another note, I've updated the leaderboard through here, so let me know if you catch any errors or omissions!

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
gabriel I used a Banded Talonflame with 0 speed in my first Maison streak which managed 110 wins (there's a link in my sig). It was one of the first Pokemon I had bred and trained this generation so it didn't have the Maison (or even wifi battles) in mind. You can check the speed tiers list and decide if there's anything you would rather hit with Flare Blitz (or U-turn etc) instead of Brave Bird and make sure you outspeed them, then put the rest in HP. Pretty sure adamant with 252 speed hits 178 and 0 speed is 142, so look for anything within that bracket. Archeops4 is at the top of that speed bracket and gives both Talonflame and Sceptile trouble so keep that in mind when team building (I'm sure Aerodactyl is a similar threat).

Thank you for your suggestions! Since Aerodactyl is going to be a problem regardless of how much speed I run and Sceptile can't switch into powerful Rock-type moves Talonflame tends to attract anyway, I guess max HP really is the way to go and I have to rely on my third team member for covering rock types.

First I thought of Scizor or Ferrothorn, but my team already lacks an effective way of handling fire types. Then I thought of Garchomp. It's fast, powerful, I could use band or scarf depending on what I need to outspeed and can easily switch into rock and electric type moves. On the other hand, I'd be pretty much doubling Sceptile's weaknesses on my team... Is that really a problem, seeing I'm playing some sort of hyper offense? I'll be using the fastest dragons (can scarf Chomp if really needed) out there so the Dragon weakness shouldn't be an issue and Talonflame can switch into Ice and Fairy-type moves should the opponent not be in OHKO range.

As a bonus, Garchomp can also switch into Poison-type moves directed to Sceptile, and while Scizor does that even better, I'm afraid I'd be in trouble against Fire-types with Electric/Rock type moves, since my best shot against them would be Sceptile's Dragon Pulse which isn't likely to OHKO, while even powerful neutral fire moves like Flare Blitz or Fire Blast can do a lot of damage to Sceptile. This really makes Garchomp look like a better alternative, albeit the shared weaknesses with mega Sceptile.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Thank you for your suggestions! Since Aerodactyl is going to be a problem regardless of how much speed I run and Sceptile can't switch into powerful Rock-type moves Talonflame tends to attract anyway, I guess max HP really is the way to go and I have to rely on my third team member for covering rock types.

First I thought of Scizor or Ferrothorn, but my team already lacks an effective way of handling fire types. Then I thought of Garchomp. It's fast, powerful, I could use band or scarf depending on what I need to outspeed and can easily switch into rock and electric type moves. On the other hand, I'd be pretty much doubling Sceptile's weaknesses on my team... Is that really a problem, seeing I'm playing some sort of hyper offense? I'll be using the fastest dragons (can scarf Chomp if really needed) out there so the Dragon weakness shouldn't be an issue and Talonflame can switch into Ice and Fairy-type moves should the opponent not be in OHKO range.

As a bonus, Garchomp can also switch into Poison-type moves directed to Sceptile, and while Scizor does that even better, I'm afraid I'd be in trouble against Fire-types with Electric/Rock type moves, since my best shot against them would be Sceptile's Dragon Pulse which isn't likely to OHKO, while even powerful neutral fire moves like Flare Blitz or Fire Blast can do a lot of damage to Sceptile. This really makes Garchomp look like a better alternative, albeit the shared weaknesses with mega Sceptile.
I don't know if it's just me, but this team outline is screaming for Suicune imo. Completes a FWG core, its weaknesses are covered phenomenally by Talon and Sceptile, and most teams appreciate some sort of bulky cornerstone anyway. Also easily counters CB Aerodactyl (252 Atk Choice Band Aerodactyl Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 138-163 (34.1 - 40.3%) -- 42% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery, so switch in, Rest on the second Stone Edge, easily tank the third and watch it kill itself afterwards. Even has a chance to survive back-to-back crits ffs). The only stronger Rock-type is CB Tyrantrum, which can become a problem, but you can revenge kill him with Sceptile if all else fails. Of course, this all depends on whether or not you have access to a good Suicune ;-; (or at least an HGSS save file where it still has to be caught and you can synchronise for a decently IVed bold one).
(As for Garchomp, I think that would give your team a too massive Ice weakness; two 4x weak and one neutral. Of course Talon can defeat slower ones, but stuff like Froslass is gonna be a bitch, and there are probably gonna be some trainers who run mono-Ice teams, and idk if that team could stand up to those)

Interesting. The thing is, the only Suicune I have is a Modest HP Electric one. Maybe a 252 HP/252 Sp.Atk set could work too?

Or Slowbro. Actually I was thinking about Mega Slowbro, which will probably be able to play Suicune's role just as effectively if not even better. But my mega slot has already been taken and I don't think I could easily replace Mega Sceptile - in fact I'm building the team around it. So Slowbro is the next bulky CMer on the list. However not only its stats are worse than Suicune's, but its secondary typing is a burden, bringing three extra weaknesses and only two resistances that doesn't really help the team. Regenerator is always an useful ability, but when it comes to the Battle Maison, Pressure on a bulky RestTalker might actually be better because of its stalling potential.

To be honest, I even have a HG where I could soft-reset for a Bold Suicune, but I don't think that's feasible. If breeding prior to Gen VI was a pain and you were even able to set a nature and have some influence over the IVs, SRing was just downright impossible without RNG. I can only hope ORAS will contain the legendary dogs like everybody has been speculating and it will work like the legendary birds in XY so you can actually SR for them.

But I shouldn't count on that. So I'll either have to make do with my Modest Suicune or find a different third member. Something that can handle powerful rock-type moves, especially coming off fast rock-types like Archeops and Aerodactyl... How about some bulky Water/Ground type? I could pick between Quagsire, Swampert, Gastrodon and Seismitoad. I have no clue on how to use them effectively, but at least their typing fits in perfectly with the rest of the team (they don't share an electric weakness with Talonflame like a pure water type and their only weakness is 4x resisted by both Talonflame and Mega Sceptile).

Edit: But wait, an electric weakness is actually a good thing since it provides switch-in opportunities for Mega Sceptile. On the other hand, this could easily turn against me: if Mega Sceptile is the first to go down, I'll have a pretty hard time facing any electric type with just no speed Talonflame and a pure water-type. So maybe water/ground is the way to go. But then I'd have no ice resistance... Man, this is hard!

Last edited:

NoCheese

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
If it's well-EVed, Modest Suicune can still work for you. Not quite as effective as Bold, but should still cover most things well enough. I do not recommend that maxed Special Attack set, though. Suicune's strength is its bulk, so you still should run the standard near max HP and Defense, with just enough Speed to avoid Speed ties. Relative to Bold, Modest won't hurt you at all against Special Attackers, and even with the 10% lower Defense, you'll often be able to stall out the most powerful move of many physical attackers thanks to Pressure, and then set up on them even without Calm Mind's Special Defense boosts helping you out.

You absolutely want Scald / Calm Mind / Rest. What's more debatable is whether to use Substitute or Icy Wind as the final move, and Leftovers or Chesto Berry as your item, but you can find success either way. I find Chesto Berry plays wonderfully well with Substitute, helping you against physical Pokemon where only one move can break your sub, by making it easier to stall out that single move by giving you a free initial Rest. Once you get to the point where it takes the foe two moves to break your Sub, the loss of Leftovers recovery isn't really a problem. With this strategy, you will be punished in situations where being Modest rather than Bold lets a second move also break your Sub, but not having theorymoned Modest Suicune, I'm not sure how frequent this will be. My gut is that it's a workable handicap. If you don't like the Substitute approach, I can hardly argue with Jumpman16's still-ongoing leading singles streak, and he swears by Icy Wind + Leftovers. But either way, you want to be tanky. Don't sacrifice Defense and HP for Special Attack EVs just because your Suicune has a Modest nature.

What will make the Suicune/Mega Sceptile combo worse than it looks on paper is the fact that Sceptile has to have already been in for a turn to be able to take Electric attacks. That pretty much necessitates Detect or Substitute, and I'm not sure if a Singles team has the room to spare when there are only 12 moveslots to take on everything. It'd still work well because of Suicune, but Mega Sceptile would be much better in Doubles/Triples as a Pokemon that can do stuff like take out Ground Pokemon/Lati@s in Discharge spamming teams.

turskain

activated its Quick Claw!
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Battle video: #2367 - 5H8W-WWWW-WWW9-VWP8 vs. Slowking/Nidoqueen/Gourgeist/Steelix/Lapras/Vaporeon

While I'm posting, here's an attempt at covering some Triples-specific threats/teambuilding concerns. Here goes; it's not much, but maybe you'll find it useful and I might write more things later.

Turskain's Triples Threats and Tips

Mechanics & Terminology: Side position = the positions on the right and left side of the field that can attack adjacent Pokémon, but not the cross-field position
Center position = the position in the center of the field that can hit the entire field
Cross-field position = the position diagonally across the field relative to your side position; the blind spot for regular moves
Long-range/Cross-field move = moves that can target Pokémon on the field regardless of the user's position
Spread move = move that hits all adjacent enemies
Field move = move that hits the entire field such as Earthquake
Field effect move = status moves that affect the entire field such as Mat Block, Tailwind
and Trick Room

Triples mechanics are mostly similar to Doubles, with the major addition of the Shift command. This command is available to Pokémon in the side position, and it swaps the user and the center position, "shifting the user to the center". It has +0 priority (moving in normal Speed order), and can be used separately from moves at any point; Sleep, Freeze, Taunt, Encore, Choice items and similar do not prevent it, but you can't use it while locked into Outrage or a similar move that prevents you from choosing a move at all. It is more like the Switch command than a move, though none of the effects of switching apply and it most closely resembles the move Ally Switch. While it typically has limited use when playing against the AI, it can make the difference between winning and losing in a pinch, so you should try to remember the option.

General Teambuilding Advice: While Triples shares a lot of qualities with Doubles, the teams built a good bit differently than Doubles ones. While in Doubles, all positions are equal, the center is special in Triples; you can attack all enemies from it, but all enemies can also attack you. While this allows you to exploit spread moves very effectively, it also makes switching out the center very difficult with possibly three attacks slamming your switch-in - ideally, the center should have great staying power and support from teammates to avoid having to switch out, or be a disposable lure such as Aron. Volt Switch and U-Turn can work for more self-sufficient centers that exit stage more frequently, such as Mega Manectric and Rotom-W. You should also have a designated back-up center among your to take the place of your center if it is KO'd or needs to switch out; a lot of the same qualities that the lead center needs apply to it, though not as strictly. You could think of a Triples team as four Pokémon designated to the side positions that form a Doubles team, accompanied by two Pokémon that primarily occupy the center position to complement them and glue the halves together with coverage for the cross-field positions. Note that the designated positions aren't strict for back-ups; while your leads will nearly always be in their set roles, battles can progress in any number of ways and your back-ups may find themselves in any position, so bulky goodstuffs are usually preferred for those roles.

Cross-field moves such as Dark Pulse, Aura Sphere, Dragon Pulse and Brave Bird are extremely potent in Triples, as they give your Pokémon a big advantage (being able to hit anyone on the field) without any of the drawbacks of the center position. The side positions greatly benefit from any long-range attacks, even if they're just non-STAB coverage moves. Not every team member requires them, but at least one or two Pokémon on your team should carry some as a general rule.

Spread moves (Hyper Voice, Water Spout, Eruption) can be tremendously effective, especially in the center position. Wide Guard is seldom used by the AI, only ran by Mienshao4, Bastiodon4, Regigigas4 and the very rare Bastiodon1 (only used by Ace Trainer Bunny), so there are very few drawbacks to them; but you should exercise caution against those specific Pokémon.

Tailwind is extremely effective both as a primary strategy and a situational "back-up plan", as noted later.

Fake Out can be strong, but it's slightly less powerful than in Doubles due to its limited reach from the side position where supports will usually be (the cross-field enemy that may threaten your other two Pokémon is in a blind spot) and the center position being a very unpleasant position for most Fake Out users, with only 1/3 of the field being flinched and 2/3 still possibly being able to strike. Running multiple Fake Out users can be extremely effective to alleviate this.

Intimidate can be very useful, especially in the center. Make sure you have answers for the possible Defiant/Competitive users that the Maison may have in store with all Hidden Abilities being available to the AI, howewer.

Field moves are a bit more unwieldy than in Doubles, as the larger field makes keeping your allies safe more difficult. As a general rule, you should have two or more Pokémon that are immune to a field move you use regularly, such as two Flying-types/Levitators if you are running a Pokémon with Earthquake.

Protect is extremely powerful, like in Doubles; every Pokémon that can spare a moveslot and isn't using Assault Vest or a Choice item should have it, aside from Fake Out/Mat Block users (and even they could use it, sometimes). Protect is so good against the AI that the general drawbacks of Choice items (and Assault Vest) are mostly a non-issue compared to specifically being unable to use Protect; often, being locked into a move is perfectly OK but lacking Protect is the deal-breaker that forces you to pursue other item options.

Major threats specific to Triples

Tailwind: Tailwind is very strong for the player in Triples, boosting the Speed of all three Pokémon - but it is equally strong for the AI in the rare occasion when it is used. Articuno4, Braviary4, and Moltres1 are the three AI Pokémon past battle 40 that use Tailwind; their number may seem few, but consider that you face six Pokémon in every battle and typically have quite long streaks in Triples. I've gotten Tailwinded by Moltres1 5-10 times over the streak, once or twice by Articuno4, and I think two or three times by Braviary4. It isn't very common, but it will happen, and when it does you need to something against it if you intend to get into four digits. (In at least three of the Tailwind battles I've had, if I didn't have Tailwind of my own to counter it, the battle might have turned into a loss.)

How to deal with it:
  • Tailwind: some gusts of your own are the most common solution to match the AI's boost. Note that this doesn't mean you have to run a Tailwind team; having Tailwind as a rarely used fourth move on one of your Pokémon is useful, and enough for this purpose. Talonflame is the best Tailwind user in Triples. Other options may work, but keep in mind that your Tailwind setter might have to take 1-2 hits from Tailwind-boosted enemies before getting to use the move unless it has elevated priority.
  • Level 1 bait: all three Tailwind users have attacking moves. If they can hit Aron, they won't use Tailwind.
  • KOing its users: if you have a fast, strong Rock or Electric type move you can use on a lead, you can just KO the users outright without issue. Note that Braviary4 has Wacan Berry and Braviary3 has Choice Scarf (Roller Skaters), though.
  • Trick Room: speed control of your own to take the wind out of the AI's sails.
  • Fake Out: it flinches the users. Note the Flame Body risk on Moltres1, howewer.

Rain Dance/Drizzle + Swift Swim, Beauty Claire and
Sand Stream/Sandstorm + Sand Rush, Worker Rasmus:

While Rain can be a threat in any mode, the higher Pokémon amounts and streak numbers make it a greater threat that has to be accounted for in Triples. It isn't very common due to HAs and Politoed only having Drizzle 1/3 of the time, but it is going to happen to you sooner or later, from Beauty Claire or otherwise.

Excadrill is the prime offender in Sand, hitting 216 Speed when Sand Rush is active with Set4 boasting a Life Orb and having some bulk EVs. You don't want to meet this thing - even worse, it may ship together with Garchomp3 (Choice Scarf) with Sand Veil on Worker Rasmus. Arena Trap Dugtrio is also not something you wish to see with these guys if you have grounded leads.

Another problem with Rain and Sand is that you don't know if they have Sand Rush or Switft Swim until they move, or Sand Veil until you miss - at which point it may be too late to make an adjustment. When you see bad weather, assume the worst and play it safe.

How to deal with it:
  • Your own weather: if you can maintain control of the skies with Mega Charizard Y, you've got nothing to worry about.
  • Tailwind: did I mention having priority Tailwind as a situational option is really good? Swift Swim and Sand Rush double Speed, making Tailwind nullify their effect. Talonflame, again, reigns supreme thanks to its priority and excellent bait properties in Rain and Sandstorm.
  • Rotom-W: deserves special mention as a very effective "anti-weather" Pokémon in Doubles and Triples. With HP Water, it does well against Sand teams (outside Storm Drain Gastrodon (Rasmus runs a special set!) and Storm Drain Cradily) and Thunderbolt/Discharge give it tools for Rain teams (outside Lightningrod Zebstrika, though Discharge still works against it - take care, though, Claire's Zebstrika2 has Thunder and can be threatening with a boost), with great typing and defenses for both. If you run Sun, consider having Rotom-W on your team if only to have a strong actor for when the Sun goes down for a second.
  • Fake Out can also take out a rampaging fast threat - Balloon Infernape or Balloon Mienshao are actors that can work, or MegaKhan if the Mega slot is free. Hitmontop from the past can also work for a more Intimidating, bulky option.
  • A fast Choice Scarf user can also work.
  • Potent lures like Talonflame, as mentioned earlier, are always useful for hard hitters, and weather-boosted menaces are no exception.
Cross-field move users - Lati@s1, Tornadus, Brave Bird users (especially Talonflame and the numerous Choice Scarf holders ran by Roller Skaters), Noivern, Aerodactyl and others: while the AI doesn't use cross-field moves most of the time, some top threats carry them. Be wary of them and don't get your Dragons destroyed from long range by a boosted Lati@s1. They seem to be highly unpredictable in general, more so than the AI usually is - I've seen Lati@s1 Dragon Pulsing Lucario from across the field when switching in Garchomp for it, and Brave Birds commonly fly off on anything that moves, weakened or not.

Hex Maniac Anastasia: she deserves attention in every mode, but I've had enough tough encounters with her in Triples to warrant a special mention. Her pre-battle line goes something like: "Scary places are best for me. I'd like to live in a cemetery...". Always look out for the mention of cemeteries or the name Anastasia when a Hex Maniac shows up. Check the spreadsheet just to be sure on what the rare Set3 Pokémon she can run have.

Trick Room: Trick Room is different from Tailwind in that you can't reliably match it, stop it, or counter it every time with the possibility of multiple TR setters and the variety of things that can go with them. Depending on your leads, you may be able to stop it against 90%+ of leads, but there's always going to be battles where the dimensions refuse to stop twisting.

On the upside, unlike Tailwind, TR doesn't boost the AI's whole team - the 4th set/Ace Trainer TR situations which are the most threatening often involve the AI's faster Pokémon getting slowed down by TR. Unlike the wide variety of threats that go with Tailwind users, Hex Maniacs/Psychics and Hex Maniac Mara, the most common TR offenders, run a rather narrow set of Pokémon that's more manageable than the full set of legendaries Veterans toss at you under Tailwind. Watch out for Anastasia as well - she has Cofagrigus3 with Trick Room, among other unpleasant things.

TR is a very wide threat, but Talonflame does okay once more with priority and Rock bait. Fake Out, priority, bulk, Dark-type attacks and low Speed are good to have, Scarfers and Greninja are deadweight. At least half of your team should be able to function OK under TR in a pinch.

Common setters:

Aromatisse4: one of the most specially bulky setters, its Fairy-typing makes common anti-TR attacks ineffective against it and punishes Dark-types that would typically excel under TR. Additionally, it may have Aromatic Veil to protect the entire enemy field from Taunt if you're trying to use it to stop TR.

Bronzong4: Its HP/Atk EV investment with a Brave nature cuts it bulk nicely, but on the flip side, its Rock Slide and Zen Headbutt will dent Pokémon weak to them if TR does go up. Bronzong may have either Heatproof or Levitate, so using super-effective Fire-type attacks to take it down is unreliable. The Steel nerf in XY makes this Pokémon much nicer, as Dark-type attacks will now destroy it nicely.

Dusknoir4: With Shadow Sneak/Pain Split/Destiny Bond/Trick Room, it is probably the least threatening TR setter out there. It can be left alive and finished last, as it simply doesn't do anything and may even unset its own Trick Room after agonizing at its complete lack of anything resembling a movepool.

Exeggutor4: with Explosion/Wood Hammer/Zen Headbutt and maximum Attack, it is the hardest-hitting setter out of them all. It also dies easily to common attacks and tends to be very predictable with Exploding right after using Trick Room; kill it or use Protect to avoid the predicted Explosion.

Slowbro4: Oblivious for Taunt immunity, and great physical bulk and Blizzard for a very threatening spread move when it gets TR up. Its Special bulk is low, so Thunderbolt and Dark Pulse kill it very quickly. If TR does go up, it's often the more threatening Slowthing due to carrying Blizzard rather than Ice Beam.

Slowking4: Slowbro's special cousin, with Quiet HP/SDef for massive special bulk. It carries Ice Beam instead of Blizzard, making its offensive presence less threatening despite its Quiet nature; as a setter, it's usually more threatening than Slowbro due to its better bulk against common anti-TR moves. Aromatisse, Slowking and Slowbro are the three setters that cannot be Taunted, and Aromatisse may protect the whole enemy field from it; these three are why relying on Taunt to stop TR from going up is usually not a reliable strategy.

Trevenant4: With Def/SAtk EVs and dreadful defensive typing, it dies very quickly to the common Dark Pulse, Brave Bird, Flamethrower, and others.

Note that Hex Maniac Mara carries many more Trick Room setters than this, Hex Maniac Anastasia can carry a couple more, and Veterans that carry Set3-4 may run Cresselia4 to set it.

Threatening Individual Pokémon

Entei3: Choice Scarf Eruption. Taking full-field Eruptions will wear your team down very quickly. Damaging it cripples it; just keep the possiblity of Entei3 in mind whenever facing Alfie, Eleanor, Isabella or Saba. Talonflame, again, is a great check, resisting Eruption and crippling it with priority Brave Bird.

Typhlosion3: Ran exclusively by the Starter specialist Pokémon Breeders, it has Choice Scarf Eruption like Entei3. Its lower bulk makes it easier to cripple, but it is also Modest with 19 higher base Special Attack, making it hit considerably harder. Typically, it is less of a threat than Entei3 simply because the Starter specialists are not very threatening trainers in general, unlike Veterans.

Lickilicky4: the strongest Explosion user in the Maison, with Lax Incense on top to make you miss while trying to kill it. It is typically quite eager to explode, so Protecting pre-emptively is usually safest against it over risking Lax Incense misses. Mega Lucario's Aura Sphere KOs it while ignoring Lax Incense; other Aura Sphere users also work great, but they don't have the power to KO it outright without boosts. High bulk, Ghosts, Steels, and Intimidate help mitigate Explosion if it blows up at the wrong time. It can also have Cloud Nine to shut down a weather team.

Muk4: The fifth strongest Explosion in the Maison, behind Lickilicky4, Landorus4, Golem4 and Metagross3 (exclusively ran by Hex Maniac Anastasia). While its power is not that high, it has Quick Claw to make up for it. Protect helps, but Muk also has a strong STAB attack in Gunk Shot that it likes using, making it slightly less eager to blow up than Lickilicky in some cases.

Donphan4: It's Donphan! Sturdy Quick Claw with Fissure/Stone Edge/Earthquake/Seed Bomb. Talonflame deserves special mention as a check - while its 4x Rock weakness may look bad, it works to your advantage as Donphan is all but guaranteed to use Stone Edge on it whenever it can, allowing you to get a free turn with Protect while your allies weaken Donphan and break its Sturdy, followed by priority Brave Bird to finish it off on the next turn. Not a lot of things are safe from Donphan; Levitators such as Latios, Hydreigon, Rotom-W, and others do well against it, only fearing neutral Stone Edge (and critical Seed Bomb in Rotom-W's case).

Ursaring4 & Leafeon4: The other two common Quick Claw users aside from Muk4 and Donphan4. While their threat level is lower in general, they can still do a number to your Water Spout/Eruption damage and any Pokémon that they can hit super-effectively and punish your Scarfers.

Regigigas: All sets carry Confuse Ray and Set3 has Thunder Wave on top, which is highly threatening in Doubles/Triples as it always has multiple targets to use it on, preventing usual Singles checks like Gliscor, Suicune or Lum Berry from stopping it. Aura Sphere is the best move against it, bypassing Set1's BrightPowder and Set4's Double Team while dealing super-effective damage; other high-damaging Fighting attacks work as well, though they may miss. Grass Knot from Greninja has 120BP against it, making even the common Sash-using set surprisingly effective against it.

Regice4: Regice is quite bulky, and Set4 carries Thunder Wave/Blizzard/Focus Blast/Thunder to be very obnoxious. Similarly to Confuse Ray, there are very few ways to check status like Thunder Wave in Triples; Lightning Rod, Electric-types, Ground-types and Limber users help, but Regice is also bulky and carries Blizzard to punish many of these and has massive special bulk giving Electric-types a hard time actually damaging it. Super-effective physical attacks can KO it, but with 252/0+, its physical bulk is considerable.

Cresselia3/4: Set3 carries Icy Wind/Helping Hand/Swagger/Round, while Set4 runs Trick Room/Psychic/Moonblast/Trick. Icy Wind and Swagger are bad news for any team, while Helping Hand support can be devastating; for Set4, Trick Room is never a fun prospect while Moonblast punishes Dark-types that would usually do well against Trick Room and other Cresselia sets such as Hydreigon.

Glaceon4: With BrightPowder and Def/SAtk EVs, it is quite bulky and risky to bring down thanks to BrightPowder, while laying down massive STAB Blizzards that may also inflict freeze. It survives CB Scizor Bullet Punch and Talonflame Flare Blitz most of the time, for instance. It also has Detect, making focus-fire attempts risky if it decides to use it. Because of Detect making focus-fire risky with BrightPowder and possibly Snow Cloak on top, you want to be able to OHKO it if possible.

Cobalion3: On a similar note to Regigigas, Cobalion3 deserves special mention for being the fastest Swagger user that Veterans can run, in addition to having Lax Incense. While its only offensive option is Iron Head, Swagger with Lax Incense and Substitute making it difficult to kill are nothing to scoff at.

Luxray4: with Careful 252HP/252SDef, possible Intimidate, and Air Balloon, it's very difficult to kill while carrying nasty support moves in Thunder Wave and Light Screen, with pseudo-BoltBeam coverage in Thunder Fang + Ice Fang for offense.

Jolteon4: Razor Fang gives all its attacks a chance to flinch, making its attacks quite unpleasant. A fast Rain Dance can stop a Sun team in its tracks, while Fake Tears puts your Pokémon into KO range for its Hyper Beam and the attacks of its allies. Garchomp, a very strong Pokémon against Electric types in general especially dislikes switching into Fake Tears + Hyper Beam.

Electrode4: with Thunder, its damage is much more respectable than you'd expect out of Electrode, and it carries Taunt, Light Screen and Rain Dance to disrupt weather, prevent non-attacking moves, and annoy your special attackers while being blazing fast and having one of Static/Aftermath/Soundproof as its ability, all of which can be unpleasant to face for some Pokémon.

Froslass4: Focus Sash makes it difficult to kill, while Icy Wind, Blizzard and Destiny Bond are all unpleasant moves. Additionally, its new Hidden Ability in XY, Cursed Body, can disable the moves used to hit it - note that it may activate on any attacking move, instead of only contact moves like Static, Flame Body and Cute Charm. Mat Block Greninja does very well against it; other teams will need to be very wary of it.

Druddigon4: Outrage is a horrible, outright unusable attack outside Singles, but for the AI, the random targeting makes it impossible to predict, allowing it to wreak havoc and render typical Protect plays useless. While it is slow and usually easily focused, under TR it is one of the most dangerous Pokémon out there with considerable bulk and a very powerful Choice Band Outrage.

Excadrill4: With Life Orb and EVs in Atk/Def/SDef, it is the most powerful Earthquake user in the Maison and may have Mold Breaker to hit Pokémon with Levitate; keep an eye out for the ability's announcement. The bulk EVs make it quite a bit nastier on top. It may also have Sand Rush if Sandstorm is active.

Aren't some of these a bit obscure? When going for long streaks in Triples and battling six-Pokémon teams, the obscure threats are more common and dangerous than in other modes. With six Pokémon of your own, you can also have ways to deal with all of these; in Doubles with goodstuffs, you could say "bad team match-up, wrong abilities on the enemies; can't do anything" if losing to Tailwind or Swift Swim, but with larger rosters in Triples, there's not a lot of things that can't be accounted for.

Claire and Rasmus together probably account for half of the dangerous battles I've had in Triples. The numerous sets and weather-boosted threats they can toss at you are very threatening.

In conclusion, you should probably have Talonflame on your Triples team unless you are running Trick Room or weather of your own. It's strong in Triples in general with powerful priorty, and situational Tailwind is an invaluable asset to any team. If you opt to skip Talonflame, Tailwind Suicune or Tailwind Latios or something else could be options; just be sure to have something for when you need it.

Notable Trainer Lines (paraphrased):

Veteran Eleanor (Legendary Sets 3 and 4) - Handy prey. The hunt is about to begin
Veteran Alfie (Legendary Sets 3 and 4) - Let me warn you, I'm mighty strong.

Veteran Isabella (All Legendary Sets) - My Pokémon are my pride and joy
Veteran Saba (All Legendary Sets) - Do not mistake means for goal. That's what my master taught me

Hex Maniac Anastasia (Set3&4 Psychic and Ghost types) - Scary places are best for me. I'd like to live in a cemetery...
Hex Maniac Mara (Trick Room) - I used to be a Beauty once, you know!

Workes Rasmus (Sand, multiple sets) - I've arrived from a distant island. Could I ask you for a battle?
Beauty Claire (Rain, multiple sets) - Hey... When did you start loving your Pokémon?
Chef Andrei (Hail, Blizzard users, multiple sets) - Let me tell you something valuable about eating a famous food
Chef Roux (Sun, multiple sets) - Slobber... Looks like I've found a tasty Trainer and Pokémon.

Punk Guy Puck (Pokémon with Intimidate, all sets) - My Internet friends told me to use this look. They said it'd make me more intimidating

Ace Trainer Bunny (Pokémon with high Special Defense, all sets) - The pretty-suited Pokémon soldier who sprinkles love on the world appears!
Ace Trainer Jai (Pokémon with high Special Attack, all sets) - I'm going to give you an experience so sweet your head will spin!

Breeder Tad (Starter Pokémon, all sets) - I will test the Pokemon you have been training.
Breeder Ina (Starter Pokémon, all sets) - I am the top breeder. I can tame any kind of Pokemon.

My memory and notes are failing me on a few, but that should be most of them. Even if you zone out, recognizing the trainer from just their line can give you an additional opportunity to notice them. Thanks to GG Unit for noting a couple more.

Be sure to consult the trainer list for the exact Pokémon these trainers can run - Hex Maniac Mara, for example, only runs one possible set on most of her species, so despite her non-Set4s, she is more predictable than other special trainers. The weather specialist trainers in particular have complex set lists, running just one set for some species and all four sets for others; always check the trainer list when facing them.

Last edited:
Battle video: #2367 - 5H8W-WWWW-WWW9-VWP8 vs. Slowking/Nidoqueen/Gourgeist/Steelix/Lapras/Vaporeon
Meep. Not beating that one any time soon.

Great primer on Triples. I'd also mention Hex Maniac Mara's Trick Room as a threat to prepare for. Taking out the Trick Room setters makes her quite easy to deal with, but quite a few of them are very bulky and sometimes you get an awkward arrangement. If I recall correctly, she talks about being a Beauty once.

On another note, what sets do the Chatelaines use in Super Multi's? I know Landorus2 is one of them (because it wrecked me the first time around), but I forget what the other Pokemon were.

turskain

Meep. Not beating that one any time soon.

Great primer on Triples. I'd also mention Hex Maniac Mara's Trick Room as a threat to prepare for. Taking out the Trick Room setters makes her quite easy to deal with, but quite a few of them are very bulky and sometimes you get an awkward arrangement. If I recall correctly, she talks about being a Beauty once.

On another note, what sets do the Chatelaines use in Super Multi's? I know Landorus2 is one of them (because it wrecked me the first time around), but I forget what the other Pokemon were.
You face Nita and Morgan at battle 50 in Multis, with two Pokémon from the three/four that they run in their respective modes. So two of Landorus2/Tornadus2/Thundurus3 on Nita, and two of Latias1/Virizion3/Terrakion3/Cobalion2 on Morgan.

I got wrecked at battle 50 as well, using an AI partner with Archeops3 + Salamence3. Thundurus3 OHKO'd Archeops, then got a Defiant boost from Mence's Intimidate and it went straight to hell. Multis is terrible.

Last edited:
With Hex Maniac Mara and any TR setters in general, I think the best advice you could give people (and a lesson I have learned painfully, but with high value) is stressing the need for damage calcs.

Typical AI behavior seems to, in all my experiences, have everything to do with wether they'll attempt to set it or not. You can reliably expect setters to go for TR if they can't kill any target in range, regardless of the cost. Running TR teams myself, they can also immediately shut it back off when they're faced with bulk that resists or isn't otherwise threatened by their moves, though because I try to kill enemy setters ASAP I can't vouch for this being a "preferred" tactic on part of the AI.

Of course, luck via placement plays too big a part in this, since there's no guarantee their setters will be across a poke they can defeat, but there'll definitely be battles where it's to your advantage to let Mara's Aromatisse and Dusknoir sit there like tards while you kill her sweepers one after the other, ending each turn with dimensions reverted to normal.

And you're absolutely right that they use TR without any consideration to the harm it does to the rest of their team. I've been occasionally helped by this. Their collective speed doesn't seem to have any bearing on their desire to use it, buuuut I also have observed them passing on TR when they had no "desireable" offensive option.

I consider the purely Water/Ice Chefs and Beauty Orla to be extremely dangerous, far more than Mara and frequently the Psychics (that lack Musharna, Reuniclus, and to a lesser extent Bronzong and Cofagrigus) for this reason. While Slowbro/king 4 can still screw over a lot of their lineup, it seems to me that the overwhelming majority of players prefer teams that capitalize on speed one way or another, and those teams are chock full of slow pokes as well, paricularly the WWW (for you Battle Network fans) Walrein, Whiscash and Wailord, which are just bad news in general for their OHKO spam.

Eh, in hindsight, those trainers aren't really inherently more dangerous; I've just had bad experiences with them. Knock Off, Sucker Punch and other moves that rip holes in Psychics/Hex Maniacs are found in the overwhelming majority of my teams, often in abundance, and so usually if it seemed like the enemy cancelling TR or whatever was imminent, I could easily make do with just slaughtering the frail ones and grimly slogging through the rest.

Alakazam came to mind the moment I used the word frail, and I remembered one particular battle, the one and only time I ever used Ally Switch solely to block Trick- putting Mega Ampharos in Cofagrigus' place. It was one of those scenarios that's probably never going to pop up again- normally that move is used to make HJK users commit suicide or put Cofagrigus at low enough HP for Destiny Bond abuse.

turskain

ReptoAbysmal, that's good advice. I've found that if they have a secure KO (Exeggutor Wood Hammer on Rotom-W, Slowthing Psychic on Naughty Cloyster with bad SDef), they are going to go for that KO rather than setting up TR. If they can deal good damage and KO with a crit (Trevenant Energy Ball on Rotom-W) or a roll (Focus Blast with 37.5% chance to KO Lucario or Energy Ball with 37.5% to KO Greninja), they could go either way.

The rest of your observations are right, too, the AI has a weird tendency to pass up on TR on Aromatisse4 sometimes in favor of spamming Dazzling Gleam, or have Dusknoir4 use Shadow Sneak, or even Slowthings opting to surf around rather than trick out their dimensions. That seems pretty random, though - resistance/weakness is probably a factor as you say (hitting Greninja with Dazzling Gleam is "good", hitting a Poison-type with it is not). And they also have the tendency to cancel TR as well even if they set it up themselves, as you noted. This seems pretty random, and not something to play for most of the time, outside Dusknoir4 which is generally a do-nothing type Pokémon that you don't want to hit anyway under TR since it has Destiny Bond. Aromatisse's Heal Pulses and Aromatic Mists are quite annoying if it gets to stay alive and you have special attackers out, but it can sometimes be ignored as well as you noted - Dusknoir and Aromatisse spamming TR repeatedly while the AI's third Pokémon keeps dying sounds absolutely hilarious; I've never seen that, myself.

When there are multiple setters, the usual AI tendencies seem more loose - you'd expect the setter that has least damage potential to be the one to set it, but it seems quite unreliable and any of them (or even more than one to cancel it instantly) might use it. Against multiple setters, I prefer to let TR go up and try to KO the Pokémon that are the bigger threats to my team rather than make a risky prediction about which one is going to set it.

Orla and Carlos are pretty nasty for many teams (Water and Ice types are strong in general and have TR setters and universal hax threats among them), but they're still Set4 trainers; there's no surprise sets or multiple threatening sets to put you in an unexpected bad spot, which is the main danger shared by the non-Set4 trainers.

Last edited:
Hey, guys! I've been playing around Doubles with Aron (Protect/Endeavor/Sandstorm/Toxic)/Aromatisse(Dazzling Gleam/Psychic/Trick Room/Protect) in the front lines (a few 50+ streaks, can't seem to find good backups for those two).

Question: Would it be at all sensible to ran maxed SpAtk on Aromatisse vs. max Def? It seems that I'm 2 or 3-hit KOing a lot of things with Dazzling gleam as is, and she's not taking too many hits.. There's also the Sitrus berries, which are downright annoying.

Last edited:
I've gotten a ton of mileage out of Aromatisse by fluffing its Defense as well as putting a bit of investment into SDef, because it has great HP and can take a lot of abuse that way. Apart from Metagross4's Meteor Mash and some high-rolling Gunk Shots, she's been very difficult for the AI to OHKO. I also use Relaxed nature, though, and I run Moonblast/Heal Pulse because with so little SpA investment, mine serves much better as support.

Does Psychic even OHKO any Set 4 poison pokemon with max investment? Even Gengar? Most people that run two attacks on Aromatisse, from what I've seen, run Thunderbolt (myself included, but it's a rarely used move.) A little bit of unresisted damage on Steels has been very helpful.

Aromatisse's Heal Pulses and Aromatic Mists are quite annoying if it gets to stay alive and you have special attackers out, but it can sometimes be ignored as well as you noted - Dusknoir and Aromatisse spamming TR repeatedly while the AI's third Pokémon keeps dying sounds absolutely hilarious; I've never seen that, myself.

When there are multiple setters, the usual AI tendencies seem more loose - you'd expect the setter that has least damage potential to be the one to set it, but it seems quite unreliable and any of them (or even more than one to cancel it instantly) might use it. Against multiple setters, I prefer to let TR go up and try to KO the Pokémon that are the bigger threats to my team rather than make a risky prediction about which one is going to set it.
I actually observed early on (with great amusement) and have seen in all too many battles with three or more setters that the AI has no problem throwing a TR party with me and blowing several turns of PP just wasting the move.

Against several trainers, particularly Mara, I would just withdraw my own setter when this happens and focus on targeting the offensive threats. In my first youtube vid showing off TR randoms (and IIRC the first time I met Mara) I switched Clawitzer for Slowbro and just carved through her team like it was butter.

You probably haven't seen it yourself because your Triples teams have gotten their effectiveness largely from overpowering and not tanking, and so you wouldn't find yourself in situations where the AI considers you took bulky to attack outright and dual-layers the TR. Mara is the most common example of this for obvious reasons, but there is the odd Psychic or two that'll lead with two setters and I'll find it to my advantage to not bother attempting TR myself.

Our different playstyles is what makes the ambiguity of Set3/4 combination trainers a very different threat. It often isn't worth my time to stress over Set 3s if my setter doesn't appear threatened one way or another; Veterans are usually the only ones I double check on a regular basis, particularly to see if they can run Heatran 1, since my actions are heavily dependent on playing around the prospect of it being Sashed; though, there are a handful of other pokes like Cobalion whose movesets differ enough that I can play around the (un)likelihood of it being a threat. Heatran is prolly the second most dangerous poke for my TR teams behind Regigigas, and the two of them together create a major conflict of interest when deciding who to neuter for that all-important first turn. Heatran 1 has four damaging moves and has pretty good type coverage against most of my setters, a bad thing if the poke next to it can also hit them hard, and Regi just has that fucking Confuse Ray, though interestingly enough I've found the AI likes hitting pokes holding Mega Stones with those kinds of moves if they're in range.

My megas eat a disproportionate amount of Taunts and status, as do the TR setters if the enemy can't get at the mega. No idea if this is a trend or just a steady string of coincidences, but it's gotten to the point I can play around the assumptions fairly reliably.

Last edited:
I've gotten a ton of mileage out of Aromatisse by fluffing its Defense as well as putting a bit of investment into SDef, because it has great HP and can take a lot of abuse that way. Apart from Metagross4's Meteor Mash and some high-rolling Gunk Shots, she's been very difficult for the AI to OHKO. I also use Relaxed nature, though, and I run Moonblast/Heal Pulse because with so little SpA investment, mine serves much better as support.

Does Psychic even OHKO any Set 4 poison pokemon with max investment? Even Gengar? Most people that run two attacks on Aromatisse, from what I've seen, run Thunderbolt (myself included, but it's a rarely used move.) A little bit of unresisted damage on Steels has been very helpful.
Duly noted... Moonblast with Aron doesn't do the Aron justice, IMO. Ended up using Life Orb on Aromatisse, which solved the Sitrus berry problem and worked better than you would think. Currently breeding up another one to test with SpAtk/HP evs.

In the grand tradition of Myuu767, here is another streak that barely scrapes the lower end of the record board due to user error- Doubles, at 128. 799G-WWWW-WWW9-VPFC

Team: "Merry Band of Misfits"- Aron/Aromatisse/Hariyama/Mega Ampharos.

Peanut (Aron) @ Berry Juice
Nature: Bold
Trait: Sturdy
IVs: ?/?/?/?/?/?
EVs: None
Moveset: Protect/Endeavor/Sandstorm/Toxic

Aromatisse @ Life Orb
Nature: Quiet
Trait: Healer
IVs: 31/?/31/31/31/31
EVs: Max HP and Def, rest in SpDef.
Moveset: Protect/Trick Room/Dazzling Gleam/Thunderbolt

Healer ability to partially mitigate both Hariyama's Toxic Orb damage and any other bright ideas the opponents might have regarding statusing us. Thought of trying to get one with HA, but why fix it if it isn't broken? Life Orb for extra Gleamin' damage; still need to breed one with 0 in Speed. Move-wise, Odor Sleuth is another darned-good possibility that 've not read about until after the streak..

Hariyama @ Toxic Orb
Nature: Adamant
Trait: Guts
IVs: 31/31/31/?/31/?
EVs: Max HP and Atk, rest in SpDef.
Moveset: Fake Out/Vital Throw/Knock Off/Facade

Vital Throw not optimal; should probably be Close Combat. Also need to rebreed for Quiet nature.

Ampharos @ Ampharosite
Trait: Mold Breaker
IVs: 31/?/31/31/31/?
EVs: Max HP and SpAtk, rest in SpDef.
Moveset: Protect/Thunderbolt/Dragon Pulse/Rock Gem

Mega Ampharos was the last in a long line of "Things to Stick Into 4th Place"... Am still not happy about its dreadful Blizzard/EQ weakness, but have no brighter ideas about what else would synchronize with the rest of this mess.

The user error was, frankly, one of the dumber ones I've ever made. Mega-Evolved Ampharos face-first into a Blizzard. Which goes to show that a couple of beers really does impede your reasoning late at night. Learn from others' mistakes, folks. e_e; Do not drink and Maison.

Last edited:
I just got 50 win streak in all modes, (current 50) and have all trophies. (yeah o/ win2.jpg )

It's my first time posting here, but I want to share my team and strategy with you guys. Sorry for the long post and thanks for the attention;

I've builded my teams not for long streaks, but to ensure at least 50 in a "fast" way, minimizing possible haxes.

Super Singles
  • Dragonite @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
  • Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Mirror Coat
  • Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Aerial Ace
- Brick Break
- Bug Bite

I love the way this team synergizes, Scizor cover Ice and Fairies for Dragonite, cover grass attacks for Milotic, while she and Dragonite cover Fire for Scizor as well status like burn and paralize for him and Dragonite... with decent sp.def i could even risk some Milotic's mirror coat in thunderbolts or even solar beams, or, in most cases, a generic special attack. The strategy, however, is dragon dance ASAP and sweep the opposing team with Dragonite.
Super Triples
  • Greninja @ Quick Claw
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Scald
- Protect
- Mat Block
- U-turn
  • Heliolisk @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Round
- Surf
- Protect
  • Ludicolo @ Damp Rock
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Giga Drain
- Ice Beam
- Rain Dance
  • Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Protect
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
  • Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Round
- Reflect
- Helping Hand
- Protect
  • Garchomp @ Assault Vest
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Rock Slide
- Earthquake
- Iron Head

The idea here is abuse of Greninja's Mat Block to set up a Rain with Ludicolo and destroy with combos like Thunder, Surf, Scald... Life Orb and Dry Skin maximizes Heliolisk's potential, while Round gives Sylveon a 120 power STAB fairy follow-up which is deadly, even for his support function. Mega-Mawile and Garchomp are just fillers, i was needing physical sweepers, as well a mega evolution, so they just fill the blank. Garchomp's Assault Vest is in for in the case i have to switch him into a surf. Protect is often in the team in the case i know the AI is focusing the one I don't want to lost.
Super Doubles and Super Multi
  • Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Dance
- Protect
  • Greninja @ Focus Sash
Hasty Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Mat Block
- U-turn
  • Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Protect
  • Scizor @ Life Orb
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Brick Break
- Protect

The team for both Doubles and Multi follows the same idea, Dragonite and Greninja in the lead, Mega-Gardevoir and Scizor in the back. I've lend my friend my Greninja and Scizor to win the Super Multi without the AI. It kinda combines the Singles and Triples strategy: Greninja abuses Mat Block, and Dragonite set up Dragon Dance for sweeping. Lum berry is there because Mat Block doesn't protect status. Mega-Gardevoir Hyper Voice is amazing for taking down the duo, and Scizor's priority Bullet Punch for take the kills. Protect is a must have to take a few turns in the case of Trick Room, which IS a problem.
Super Rotation
  • Greninja @ Focus Sash
Hasty Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse
- U-turn
  • Klefki @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Reflect
- Calm Mind
- Light Screen
  • Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch
- Dragon Dance
- ExtremeSpeed
  • Scizor @ Scizorite
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Aerial Ace
- Brick Break
- Bug Bite

The key to the victory here is, ironically, Klefki. Prankster with Dual Screens minimizes the predict in the rotation, and works very well with Scizor's type and Dragonite's Multiscale. Most battles were just spamming Bug Bite or some other move, and, more forward (35 ahead) Dragonite's Dragon Dance and Claw were necessary. Klefki's Calm Mind is there for take some turns in the case were Trick Room is a problem. Greninja was the lead in the case of Intimidate.

Duly noted... Moonblast with Aron doesn't do the Aron justice, IMO. Ended up using Life Orb on Aromatisse, which solved the Sitrus berry problem and worked better than you would think. Currently breeding up another one to test with SpAtk/HP evs.

In the grand tradition of Myuu767, here is another streak that barely scrapes the lower end of the record board due to user error- Doubles, at 128. 799G-WWWW-WWW9-VPFC

Team: "Merry Band of Misfits"- Aron/Aromatisse/Hariyama/Mega Ampharos.

The user error was, frankly, one of the dumber ones I've ever made. Mega-Evolved Ampharos face-first into a Blizzard. Which goes to show that a couple of beers really does impede your reasoning late at night. Learn from others' mistakes, folks. e_e; Do not drink and Maison.
If you want to make full use of Aromatisse, you should run 252 HP/252 Def/6 Sp.Def with a Relaxed nature.

That spread leads to the following calculations:

- Gengar4's Sludge Bomb vs Aromatisse (168 - 200 HP) Damage: 80.77% - 96.15%
- Magnezone1's Flash Cannon vs Aromatisse (168 - 198 HP) Damage: 80.77% - 95.19%
- Muk4's Gunk Shot vs Aromatisse (170 - 204 HP) Damage: 81.73% - 98.08%
-
Toxicroak4's Gunk Shot vs Aromatisse (174 - 206 HP) Damage: 83.65% - 99.04%

There is no STAB Iron Head/Meteor Mash user capable of 1HKOing Aromatisse with this spread, without a Critical Hit.
A simple 252/252/6 spread allows you to survive the above four attacks with a sliver of HP left, enough to get Trick Room up if they do not Critical Hit you.

- Nidoking3's Sludge Bomb vs Aromatisse (182 - 216 HP) Damage: 87.5% - 103.85% | 18.75% Chance to OHKO

Yes, you have a 18.75% chance to get knocked out by this one (if it has Sheer Force).
In order to survive that one you would have to run 36 Sp.Def EV's, but with 252/220/36 the former 4 mentioned Pokémon will have a chance to 1HKO you right away.

As for your moveset, I'd suggest you to get rid of Thunderbolt and Protect. Aromatisse has way too many (and far better) support moves it should use. It get's Heal Pulse / Odor Sleuth / Aromatherapy / Charm / Reflect / Toxic / Disable / Wish etc etc. You should also run Aroma Veil over Healer. The only reason to use Aromatisse is because it is immune to Taunt (with Aroma Veil).

As for Aron, I'd suggest you to put Swagger over Sandstorm. None of your members benefits from Sandstorm, while Swagger allows you to confuse Ghosts so you might win a turn earlier.

Last edited:
If you want to make full use of Aromatisse, you should run 252 HP/252 Def/6 Sp.Def with a Relaxed nature.

As for your moveset, I'd suggest you to get rid of Thunderbolt and Protect. Aromatisse has way too many (and far better) support moves it should use. It get's Heal Pulse / Odor Sleuth / Aromatherapy / Charm / Reflect / Toxic / Disable / Wish etc etc. You should also run Aroma Veil over Healer. The only reason to use Aromatisse is because it is immune to Taunt (with Aroma Veil).

As for Aron, I'd suggest you to put Swagger over Sandstorm. None of your members benefits from Sandstorm, while Swagger allows you to confuse Ghosts so you might win a turn earlier.
Thanks, Eppie-- doubly so for the calculations. I've started another streak with Odor Sleuth (vs. Protect) on Aromatisse, and the battles are already going quite a bit more smoothly. Will work on breeding up a fully defensive one, meanwhile.

Other non-standard trainer sayings:

Breeder Tad (set 1-4 starters) - I will test the Pokemon you have been training.
Breeder Ina (set 1-4 starters) - I am the top breeder. I can tame any kind of Pokemon.
Chef Roux (Sunny Day) - Slobber.. Looks like I've found a tasty Trainer and Pokemon.

I just got all five of the battle trophies :D

Also, I lost at battle 66 in Super Multi-Battle with AI.
Battle Video: NZDG-WWWW-WWWA-2K5X

The team I used was:

Charizard (M) @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze ---> Drought
IVs: 31/x/31/31/31/31
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk. / 252 Speed / 4 Sp. Def.
Nature: Timid
~ Solar Beam
~ Heat Wave
~ Dragon Pulse
~ Protect

Typlosion (F) @ Choice Scarf (AI)
Ability: Flash Fire
IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/31
EVs: 252 Sp. Atk. / 252 Speed
Nature: Modest
~ Eruption
~ Focus Blast
~ Extrasensory
~ Heat Wave

Garchomp (M) @ Lum Berry **Westside
Ability: Rough Skin
IVs: 31/31/31/x/31/31
EVs: 252 Atk. / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Nature: Jolly
~ Dragon Claw
~ Swords Dance
~ Rock Slide
~ Earthquake

Hawlucha (F) @ Liechi Berry (AI)
Ability: Unburden
IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/31
EVs: 252 Atk. / 252 Speed
~ Swords Dance
~ Flying Press
~ Acrobatics
~ Steel Wing

This team has a pretty simple strategy: "spam fire until they die". After Charizard goes Mega first turn and activates Drought, Typlosion's Eruption generally takes care of the rest. Most things don't like taking STAB fire moves in the sunlight even if they resist them. One exception to this is bulky water types, which can usually be dispatched with a Solar Beam from Charizard. Protect was sometimes useful if I knew something was going to target my Charizard with Stone Edge (which was often hard to predict because sometimes they would go for Typlosion instead/most things that are threatening to Charizard can put a dent in Typlosion, too). Dragon Pulse came in handy for things like Kindra.

Garchomp and Hawlucha were mostly unused. My partner's Hawlucha tended to go for Flying Press or Acrobatics, which was usually fairly decent at picking off weakened foes. Hawlucha's typing also had a nice bonus of allowing my Garchomp to use Earthquake with no fear of blowing up my ally. If Typlosion was still in, I usually used Rock Slide instead.

The battle I lost was a predictable loss. Wide Guard Bastiodon + DD Gyarados that dodged every Rock Slide = GG. I probably could have played better, but meh. I'll probably try to go for another record with this team someday, as it was pretty fun to use. :)

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
ok im having a bit too much fun not to post this, i dont have a big streak or anything yet but who says that should be the only time i post? not me

Blastoise @ Blastoisinite ** Blastoise
Ability: Torrent -> Mega Launcher
EVs: 4Def/252SpA/252Spe
Lv. 50 (Mega)stats: 154/102/141/205/135/130
~ Water Spout
~ Aura Sphere
~ Dark Pulse
~ Protect

I love spread moves a whole bunch. Anyone who read ~The Eruptran Project~ could guess how much I delight in the sheer joy of spread moves. The moves themselves are standard, no Dragon Pulse necessary because I rely on Dark Pulse to kill TR pokes and the rest of my team is considerably FUK DRAGON anyway.

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash ** Cotton Candy
Ability: Prankster
Lv. 50 stats: 135/77/106/141/95/168
~ Tailwind
~ Dazzling Gleam
~ Endeavor
~ Fake Tears

Still deliciously broken! The Tailwind setter, with a flashy bit of punch to spread my love of spread moves. Fake Tears is as useful as ever, and it guarantees that every TR user will die no matter where they are on the field due to Blastoise's sniping abilities. When I decided on Whimsy, I wondered if it really needed to be "defensive" and quickly came to the conclusion that "fuck sturdy and sash pokes, go HAM on em Candy". Or something like that? Modest 141 SpA DZ does more than enough to the Dragons that resist Water Spout and Eruption and you can never go wrong with guaranteed damage on three foes (barring priority or other technicalities obviously).

I'm still auditing Focus Sash—it very rarely uses it, meaning it's usually either double targeted (which necessarily renders sash useless no matter a pokemon's defenses) or it's hit by one move that doesn't kill it. Then there's moves like Poison Jab, Sludge Bomb and Blizzard in the hail which further render sash useless when my other two are Protecting. Or EQ happy foes that see Heatran and go apeshit and leave Whimsy at like 70% or whatever. Sash does have its appllcations, of course, but they are more intermittent compared to Doubles especially given that Whimsicott has to be in the middle. I "want to" change this to Lum for idiot Confuse Ray and Thunderwave bullshit, but I haven't lost yet so...

Every battle I ask whether Sash was useful, meaning "is Whimsicott alive and at 1HP at the beginning of turn 2?" Obviously 1HP Endeavor is the bees knees and people still say that, but if I find that the answer to that all-important question is no like 95% of the time, I'm going to swap Sash for Lum. This may also make Endeavor less important, which would free up a slot for any number of fantastic moves Whimsy may make better use of, like Encore, Energy Ball, Worry Seed, Taunt and Safeguard. We'll see I guess.

Heatran @ Flame Plate ** ヒードラン
Ability: Flash Fire
Lv. 50 stats: 167/110/126/199/126/116
Nature: Quiet
~ Protect
~ Eruption
~ Earth Power
~ Taunt

Oh Eruptran, will I ever make a serious non-Singles team without you? Probably not! Standard moves are standard, Taunt to shut down Trick Room pokes on my right (foe's left). I have used it like once in over 100 battles, but TR sucks and I don't want to lose to it so I have Taunt as a backup to Fake Tears + Blastoise Dark Pulse. Most of the times I've wanted to use Taunt, Heatran couldn't because of EQ or fighting move, so there's that to consider I guess. Heatran doesn't really want to use anything else though—WoW and Swagger have imperfect accuracy and I don't have a REAL use for Flash Cannon or even Incinerate, so if anything I'd use either DP or...DP lol.

199 SpA because I used HP something on it for The Eruptran Project and I don't have 31SpA/31Spe IV one (like anyone does). 232 speed is plenty in Tailwind, enough to get Scarfchomp(3) by one point for what it's worth.

Latios @ Life Orb ** unban me
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4HP/252SpA/252Spe
Lv. 50 stats: 156/92/100/182/130/178
Nature: Timid
~ Dragon Pulse
~ Psyshock
~ Thunderbolt
~ Tailwind

Secondary TW setter, with near-perfect synergy with Heatran should I have to switch out on Turn 2 (not often at all). DP reaches across the field, Psyshock is a much better fit on this otherwise special-attack–heavy team, Thunderbolt for Gyarados and other waters that Spout/Eruption can't dent (and dragons of course die horribly to DP). Gluemon #1, but a lot of my non-singles teams since even DP have had Latios so yeah.

Sylveon @ Choice Specs ** Patience
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 4HP/252SpA/252Spe
Lv. 50 stats: 171/76/85/178/150/112
~ Hyper Voice
~ these
~ dont
~ matter

I am so in love with you, Patience. I know this was posted about recently but I didn't steal it—the first time I used Sylveon was on a Doubles idea with lead Tailwind/Sludge Wave Tornadus and Hyper Voice/CM/Stored Power/Protect Sylveon@Weakness Policy. You can see that the idea was for Sylveon to be at +2SpA (or +3 if I could safely CM Turn 1) and for Stored Power to be a base 100 (or 140) move. This was hilarious when it worked but, well, "Sludge Wave", and I recall it not killing Slowking, scrapping the idea, and shelving Sylveon...until I wanted something to spitekill anything that fainted my beloved Cotton Candy after it got Tailwind up Turn 1.

Turns out that I love spread moves even more than I knew—the only thing that resists Water/Fairy/Fire is Tentacruel, and even then who cares, everything absolutely dies. Most battles go like this:

(Mega)Protect/Tailwind/Protect, Whimsy gets double targeted and dies, 5-6, out comes Sylveon in the middle
Water Spout/Hyper Voice/Eruption, everything dies, 5-3
Water Spout/Hyper Voice/Eruption, everything dies, 5-0

Water Spout goes first, then Eruption, then Hyper Voice at "224 speed" for what that's worth. I still shake my head at how powerful these spread moves are in practice, much more than I thought they'd be in theory.

The other moves do actually kind of matter—I actually have Dazzling Gleam for Soundproof stuff if I'm paranoid, and Protect, which I actually used when stuff got really hairy one battle. In case I'm paranoid of missing something like Tangrowth4 or Walrein4, Swift is 78 base power with Pixilate, and would be better than the redundant Disarming Voice, even without the 30% tie-breaking boost that Pixilate grants Swift over it. Heal Bell is probably better than Dazzling Gleam but "effort" and Sylveon is my second-slowest poke so it wouldn't heal anything in time anyway probably. Maybe Psyshock if I really want Tentacruel but Tentacruel is not something I'm worried about.

Scrafty @ Assault Vest ** im so hood
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 4HP/252Atk/252Spe
Lv. 50 stats: 141/156/135/52/135/110
~ Fake Out
~ Drain Punch
~ Knock Off
~ Ice Punch

My lone physical attacker (Psyshock doesn't really count) and Gluemon #2. Fake Out is incredibly useful at buying time to get TW up in a pinch or protect one of my spread attackers, but sniping low-HP stuff for quick Moxie boost makes my day every time. I literally just threw a Scrafty on the team when I was going through my boxes of stuff I wanted to use and I haven't looked back (aside from changing the Intimidate, bulkier Scrafty I originally had in there). Usually too slow to get Moxie boosts outside of Fakeout, but I rarely even need to use Scrafty because lol at how gross Spout/HV/Eruption is.

So there we have it...I'm at like 108 now and loving every minute, actually saving some "tough" battles and mock playing even though I have yet to lose (I never really mock battled my own saved battles for any reason).

As a side note...I never really got into Triples because a few posters really early on said "triples battles takes forever" and...I disagree? Maybe it's just my team but every battle is like five turns max and the only real time spent is thinking about the best optimal move because I'm a triples noob (literally only found out "Shift" was a thing upon my first battle in the regular Triple Battle mode like last week) which doesn't really count as "slow". So that deterred me from ever really starting in Triples ("time remains the great equalizer", etc), but I'm also refreshed that this team is an absolute blast which probably matters more to me at this point. I tend to get serious "leaderboard-induced apathy" and not pursue fun modes that have been "broken" by the top players, myself included (there are so many Singles ideas I write down and then never try because "lol can this team even win 300/400/500 battles in a row". Like, "who gives a shit about your cute team if it's not either obviously super unique while great on paper or making a serious run at a respectable rank in a given mode?" I still feel that way in general and probably will as long as I play, but that feeling did not shadow me when I was theorymonning nor has or will it during gameplay. Sounds cheesy, especially from a cutthroat leaderboard hawk like me, but I'm very literally actually playing for fun, and I can't tell you have refreshing that is.

turskain

Jumpman16, I think Whimsicott needs Focus Sash for Talonflame if nothing else. Gale Wings Brave Bird will outspeed and OHKO it otherwise and it doesn't have Protect (and you can't easily kill Talonflame in the right-side position anyway) and there's no switch option that enjoys priority Brave Bird, either.

Technician Scizor also OHKOs, though you still get a move off against it. Confuse Ray and Thunder Wave are stupid, but they won't stop Tailwind from going off.

You could also use a Timid nature to outspeed Talonflame (neutral-natured 126 base Speed) to get Tailwind off before it KOs. (Talonflame3 is Jolly, but that set is a joke with Focus Sash Acrobatics and no Attack EVs, so it will not OHKO even with a crit).

Last edited:

NoCheese

I loved playing with two monster spread attackers in triples, so of course it makes me happy to see someone going one step further and running three!! Best of luck building the streak, Jumpman16!

In more mundane news, I've updated through here, so certainly let me know if I've missed anything. Still waiting for news on ORAS and whether or not it has a true frontier or just a tower, so we can start figuring out if we want to run a new thread for it or just consolidate all 6th generation facilities in one place. As more news becomes available, definitely let me know if you have strong opinions one way or another!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)