Other XY OU Viability Ranking: Sets

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Does anyone like the counter Skar set with rocky helmet, sturdy and taunt? It is really useful, although hates subs. It definitely hits back hard on any phys attacker that hurts it.
This is implied with the "Physically Defensive" set it already has.

why do that when you can give it leftovers. it will last longer against physical attackers and having rocky helmet might make them want to switch into a special attacker that could 2 hit KO you.

or smoke ball works just as well
Smoke Ball doesn't let you switch out from being trapped. It only lets you escape Wild Pokemon battles, which doesn't apply here.

With the increased number of Magnezone running around in the metagame, I feel like Skarm is almost forced to run Shed Shell at this point. That's not all that bad, considering it has fairly decent survivability and doesn't necessarily need the healing from Leftovers or residual chip damage from Rocky Helmet (as stated, it's a solid Knock Off absorber). I've also never been a fan of how generally passive Skarm is, but its standard set is probably rightfully in A-, maybe B+.

Smoke Ball doesn't let you switch out from being trapped. It only lets you escape Wild Pokemon battles, which doesn't apply here.

With the increased number of Magnezone running around in the metagame, I feel like Skarm is almost forced to run Shed Shell at this point. That's not all that bad, considering it has fairly decent survivability and doesn't necessarily need the healing from Leftovers or residual chip damage from Rocky Helmet (as stated, it's a solid Knock Off absorber). I've also never been a fan of how generally passive Skarm is, but its standard set is probably rightfully in A-, maybe B+.
it did in RSE

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I think it's kind of confusing how the format is right now with Pokemon being repeated everywhere and what not. Wouldn't a format like this be better?

S: (Assault Vest)
A: (Choice Band)
A-: (Belly Drum)

Maybe with hide tags as well.
Yeah, I'm gonna go with this format. It's a lot better than what we have right now, lol. I'll change it to this soon.

Yeah, I'm gonna go with this format. It's a lot better than what we have right now, lol. I'll change it to this soon.
I might put belly drum in A. I've spent some time trying out on showdown and it works really well. a lot of people don't expect it. in the chat they ask me what am i doing and called me a noob. them i swept them with it.

Last edited:
it did in RSE
I'm pretty sure even in RSE, Smoke Ball didn't allow you to switch out. Smoke Ball is about fleeing, not switching. They're not the same thing. It's essentially using Teleport, which doesn't work in a battle.

I'm not sure of Bulky WoW Zard-X as an S-rank set. I think it's its best set, but I feel like Zard-X is more of an S-Rank mon with multiple A+ sets, and its sheer versatility makes it A+. Maybe I haven't played it enough, but I feel like we can move it to the A+ end without needing to drop it in the viability rankings.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Okay, so I've made a massive update to the look of the viability list. I just want to reiterate: this is a trial viability list, not the final result. Any of these viability rankings are susceptible to change, so don't rip my head off if a set isn't mentioned/is in the wrong spot.

With that out of the way, it's finally time to get discussion back on track!

zbr

less than 99% acc = never hit
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hello, so now that val has edited the OP and stuff I would like to get some things off my chest. Here are a few changes I would like to suggest.

1. Nasty Plot Thundy to A+. It is an amazing set no doubt who is capable of sweeping a lot of unprepared teams. However, most of the set-up sweepers in this meta rely on strong priority like diggersby, bisharp pinsir mega scizor. Mega man and scarf landorus therian also extremely common and meta defining, forcing thundurus into a huge predicament in these match-ups as it cannot safely set up on a lot of offensive teams.

2. Scarf Lando I to B+. This is pretty obvious due to the huge opportunity cost in running this set. One will weigh and ask himself is Sand Force really better than Intimidate? With the current meta being so Physically dominant, there is zero reason one will say "Yes, Sand force is definitely better than Intimidate" The LO Sheer Force set also outweighs the Scarf Sheer Force variant because you want to be smashing through as hard as you can without being choiced into something like FB and let a chan come in.

3. Scarf Latios to A+. This is pretty much just like Scarf Lando except it is capable of crippling walls, revenge killing, hazard controlling and outspeeding the famous LandoMan core. Against defensive teams, you can dump the Scarf of on a wall and then proceed to damage the rest of the team with powerful stabs/coverage.

4. SD Bisharp for ranking in A. This set is pretty useful especially when your opponent has something like Lati@s and doesn't want to be trapped. Since it is capable of forcing switches so reliably, getting boosts is pretty easy and in our current game state where we want to clean/end games fast, SD Bisharp is a good mon(ster) to run on offensive teams.

5. AV Kyurem-B for B+. Just a thought. To those who are well versed with this set can you please help to elaborate more on my nomination? :D

Cheers everyone

I think you have two Talonflames in the list.
Talonflame (Stall Breaker: A+)
(Swords Dance: A+)
(Swords Dance + Natural Gift: B)
Talonflame (Revenge Killer: A)
One in A+, and one in A.

Sylveon's Cleric set should be somewhere in the list around C+. It can deal with some mons that Clefable fails to deal with, while hitting harder.
Thundurus's Nasty Plot set can move down to A+, because running NP it will be either losing Thunder Wave, or a coverage move to beat something, and end up being walled by things that Thundurus usually check.
Bronzong should have a Trick Room set ranked, around C-/D. I am not sure if the Dual Screens set is used in OU.
Espeon is ranked in C because of that one team using Baton Pass, not dual screens. Its dual screens set is pretty much outclassed, so move it to D/unranked and a BP receiver set should be C.
Diancie's Trick Room set is actually the best set, being its niche. I'd like the Trick Room set to be ranked in C-.
I personally don't think Landorus should be running a Choice Scarf, but I don't know much about it. But A is way to high, since better scarfers are in A and A-. I think a drop to B+ would be decent, but I really haven't used it. It would hit a lot weaker without a Life Orb.
Keldeo is not one of the best scarfers in the tier, I bet. Only the best scarfers in the tier got A+ rank here. Actually, there are only two mons in this set ranking, the other being Landorus-T, probably the best scarfer in the tier. I think the scarf set should drop to A-, but A would be okay too. It will miss out the sheer power of Specs. Still, the best scarfers are in A.
EDIT: Actually there are things that have been mentioned by ZANBAKUResh.

Last edited:
Is Scarf Latios really good? I've never used it, so I could be completely wrong here, but I've always been weary of putting Choice items on Pursuit-weak Pokemon because they're really susceptible to being trapped. Obviously, Choice items are great, both for crippling the opposition and for the boost they give, but being locked into the wrong move can make Latios seem like absolute bait for Bisharp to either get a free kill or set-up SD. Maybe I'm off, but I don't know if I can see Choice Latios being on the same level as the standard. I'd like to see replays or hear people tell me why it's so good.

As long as you don't play stupidly and leave your Scarf Latios in for the picking, (or in my case, don't miss draco), it is a mon that provides much rewards. Also, Latios commonly carries HP Fighting which deters common Pursuiters (Weavile, TTar, Bisharp) from staying in. I'll post some replays when I dig them up, my Scarf Latios team was retired a while back
I think I really just need to see. The Latis are two of my absolute favorite Pokemon, and their utility and coverage are fantastic, so I don't doubt that Latios can be an effective Scarf user. I guess you can be real careful with it if you see a Pursuit user on the other team. Obviously, it can revenge, but what is it designed to check with Scarf?

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Wheres Mold Breaker Exca on this?

Its most notable hits are still in the B to A+ range (Rotom-W, Quagsire, Rhyperior, Gengar/Latis without prediction) at least warrants a mention for it as an A rank set.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Wheres Mold Breaker Exca on this?

Its most notable hits are still in the B to A+ range (Rotom-W, Quagsire, Rhyperior, Gengar/Latis without prediction) at least warrants a mention for it as an A rank set.
Mold Breaker Excadrill is a shit set, to put it bluntly. It was decent 10 months ago but now its completely outclassed by his Sand Rush set, and even his Scarf set. He's too slow to try and sweep with SD, and he's a terrible spinner unless he has speed control, whether it be from a scarf or sand.

Also, Excadrill has no business trying to stay in on Quag or Rhyperior. both beat him easily.

If the set must be ranked, its B- at best.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Scarf set and the Mold Breaker set the same thing now? Doesn't the Scarf set run Mold Breaker almost by default?
Yes, Scarf runs Mold Breaker, but Im pretty sure that if he was referring to that set then he wouldve referred to it as such. Theres a set on the current analysis (not the revamp Im writing) that has Excadrill holding an Air Balloon with Mold Breaker as his ability, which I see all the time on the lower ladder. Judging by his post, I think its safe to assume that that was the set he was referring to.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
As long as you don't play stupidly and leave your Scarf Latios in for the picking, (or in my case, don't miss draco), it is a mon that provides much rewards. Also, Latios commonly carries HP Fighting which deters common Pursuiters (Weavile, TTar, Bisharp) from staying in. I'll post some replays when I dig them up, my Scarf Latios team was retired a while back
Minor nitpicks here.
Weavile is a horrible Pursuit trapper. If you're going to use it, use Sash SD or LO 4 Attacks with Knock Off | Ice Shard | Ice Punch | Low Kick.
Latios cannot OHKO Tyranitar with HP Fighting with or without LO and your opponent's going to know something's up if they don't see recoil.
If Rocks are up on your side of the field a player might throw Bisharp at you anyway just to stop the Defog, even if it means sacking it.

You are forgetting Mega Ampharos' Specially Defensive set, which allows it to switch into Zard Y, Talonflame, Thundurus, etc. While it takes up a Mega Slot, it should definitely be ranked.

EDIT: You also forgot Specially Defensive Gyarados, which is worth B+

Is Defensive Togekiss's best set? I feel that NastyPass>SpDefensive right now, and one could make an argument that straight-NP is better than a defensive set as well. While you don't provide cleric/Defog support with NastyPass, you still retain your defensive prowess, and give a teammate the opportunity to sweep or wall-break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)