Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

Have had a chance to play a few chars, here's my thoughts so far.

Ike plays pretty much exactly like Brawl - which is a problem because relative to everything else, this is a nerf. In fact, I'm basically going to main Link instead of Ike because the way Smash 4's mechanics work, Link is basically an Ike that can actually get opponents into KOable percentages with his much stronger air game and projectile hell.
See Ike feels WORSE than Brawl to me because his lack of jab cancels and his recovery has super limited horizontal range. I've been having success with him but I'm not sure if that's him actually being decent, or everyone online being awful. I do love his new Nair though. That + Pivot Ftilt is his bread and butter.

DK, on the other hand, feels amazing.

Have any of you guys been experiencing a ton of lag on For Glory mode? I find myself losing a bunch/being flat out unable to play quite a bit due to lag. I know it isn't my Internet because I've been playing on a Fios connection. I'm hoping this will get better over time and that this is just opening day server load problems :/

I personally haven't had TOO many issues with online, knowing how sub-par my internet connection is, it's actually pretty good. I get a few buffers here and there, but not flat out input delay or lag (except for one match, which might have been both of our connections) and it's been decently smooth. It's not that bad.

Have any of you guys been experiencing a ton of lag on For Glory mode? I find myself losing a bunch/being flat out unable to play quite a bit due to lag. I know it isn't my Internet because I've been playing on a Fios connection. I'm hoping this will get better over time and that this is just opening day server load problems :/
Only had 1 REALLY bad one. Most of them have been really good. If I get a bad one I just leave asap.

Decided to download it today... and I've been enjoying every second of it. I've been playing Little Mac a bunch, if only because hitting the KO uppercut is one of the most satisfying things ever.

berry

what kind
is a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
not sure if I'm just more used to a GC controller, but every character seems so much slower, especially Marth / Fox.
Little Mac however...

also no custom stages ;;;

Anyone been having a lot of success with Sheik? If so, could you please tell me what you generally do? SSB4 Sheik is so different from Melee/Brawl Sheik that I have trouble figuring out what to do and I want to get good.

Anyone been having a lot of success with Sheik? If so, could you please tell me what you generally do? SSB4 Sheik is so different from Melee/Brawl Sheik that I have trouble figuring out what to do and I want to get good.
Personally I've been liking up throw to up air to get off nice damage. Forward tilt is a great combo starter and her down b is risky but really satisfying to hit. I'm not that good and still learning like you though, but I thought I'd share some of the stuff I've observed

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Have only played for a few hours total but I already love this game. Characters I've used so far:

Greninja - He's excellent, probably going to be my main (though might also/instead main Duck Hunt). My only real complaint is that it is easy on the 3DS to do Side-B by accident when trying to angle his Up-B which leads to a lot of accidental suicides. You get used to it eventually I imagine, but its still annoying. He's amazing otherwise, great mobility and good kill moves with Uair, Smashes, and UpB gimps. I think Fair kills too but I'm still working on perfecting the timing.

Charizard - He's ok, I kinda suck with heavy characters though. He KOes early and has a pretty good grab. Neutral-B pushes people away which is nice to space or tack on some damage once you've gotten people off the stage. Doesn't like fast characters who can get up close and personal as he likes midrange combat. Side-B is very satisfying to land and has armor, but hard to use effectively since if you miss/get shielded you will be punished hard. Also his recovery is quite good for a heavy character between Side-B and having a triple jump.

Falco - He was my main in Melee and one of the characters I used a lot in Brawl. Not sure I like him too much since laser was nerfed a lot (not unusable though). He actually seems to play more like Wolf in Brawl - Bair and Dair seems to handle like Wolf's and Up-Smash is reminiscent of his too. Much more about the close quarters game, and laser can still be used to make people approach you so I don't think he's bad, just different. DTilt seems to be like Melee again which is nice.

Little Mac - Fun character, I think he's easy to use but hard to master since he's a glass cannon with his terrible recovery. Fighting Master Hand with him is just the worst with his crappy aerials lol.

Gonna try Duck Hunt once he gets unlocked. :D

Also, does anyone have any tips for playing against Rosalina/Peach? They're both really annoying lol.

Dread Arceus

total cockhead
Alright I've logged a good amount of time in to the game already, and here's a few characters that have stood out to me (I'll try to avoid the hype chars like Bowser, Sheik, and DHD):
Charizard: plays a bit like Bowser, pretty good aerials, and a high-risk kill move in Flare Blitz
Zelda: feels pretty buffed, although still probably mid-tier at best. Fairly good zoning, and fun kill moves when you can hit sweet spots.
Lucario: soooo good sweet jesus. My only complaint is that he's a bit floaty, but the Aura + Rage effects make him hit like a train real fast.
R.O.B.: obnoxious. Lasers + Top give a ton of ranged pressure, while ridiculously long limbs make him hard as hell to get in on. Also has a Villager-level recovery.
And ones that have disappointed completely:
Palutena: I might be just playing her wrong, but she feels awkward without custom moves. She has a single ranged move as a zoning character, which is really easy to dodge. Her close-range attacks have some reach on them, but she just overall is meh. Zelda and ROB feel a lot better.
Shulk: Honestly, you may as well play Lucina. And if you're playing Lucina, you might as well play Marth. Yes, Shulk is outclassed by a character that is outclassed. Monado arts are neat, but just take too much time to get active, and you can't switch them when one's active. Also, the first Monado art is the ever-so-useful Jump, which is obnoxious if you forget to press B again >.>
Ganondorf: If he got buffed, it isn't showing...still just slow as balls and kinda useless. I'm sure some Ganondorf fanboy will swear up and down that he's great now, but he really isn't =/
Falco: Now actually has lag on some of his moves ;_;. He also jumps really high, which can be kinda annoying. Fox just feels hands-down better now.

Seevea Shulk feels like one of those characters that are hard but will be worth it in the long run and effective. I, personally, have had the most success with him. (Marth comes close, and Sheik comes third and am really trying to work on) It takes a while to get used to activating the Monado arts and tbh I still have some trouble, but his purple really puts some nice damage in jab combos and smashes and the red is really nice at koing at around 90-100% to most non heavy characters. The yellow seems mostly like a noob trap since that speed is just going to likely get you hit more but it is nice if you can get it in the middle of an expected combo/enemy attempt to finish you. Blue is nice for pacing and his green is I guess nice if you're REALLLLYYY got aerial zoned out but otherwise ye the worst one. Personally, he looks good, just hard to master and will take some time.

Whoever said that people don't read reviews, your right. I didn't read a single one on the last 2 pages. (Doesn't mean I didn't start to, I just stopped after about 10 words, sorry.) I guess my attention span isn't that good.

Anyway I've won about 30 matches in a row online as Palutena, so I'm hoping that no update will come out for balancing. (I'm assuming that's partially what conquest mode will be used for.)

Mew2

Sex is overrated
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
More cool facts I found:
  • Got Wolf and Ice Climbers trophies (still no Mew2 tho) .. R.I.P DLC
  • Masterballs can have Goldeens
  • If you press R+ A in the "Press any button" screen you will hear the all star song instead of SSB4 makn theme
  • Wifi is laggy AF
  • Shulks BACK slash is made with his FOWARD special

Ok I think I found the best way to get custom moves if you want to focus on one character. Customs (and trophies) can replace the targets in the target bomb thing, and you can keep restarting until you get the custom icon, then hit it to get a move that is most likely for the character you're using. The difficulty of hitting the target might vary with character, but I was able to get all but one of Ike's moves in about half an hour

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Who the hell said that fox was trash this game? Certainly buffed since brawl. Great recover and buffed forward air has probably turned him into the best ledge chaser, in my opinion. Also, his custom blaster and drill recovery are really good.

Robin really feels great once you get the hang of him. I thought managing all the spell counts would be tough, but it didn't turn out to be too much micromanaging. It just means you can't spam one thing all day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)