Other Stall

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a hilarious trend because you shouldn't be using Doublade to counter Pinsir-mega anyways... And earthquake would still be a better coverage if you were freaking out over it.

I always have something like Rhyperior or Aggron to tank a Pinsir and just a check around if needed... EQ Aggro will still smash Magnezone and you invest Spdef anyways.
Its even more hilarious because it allows pokemon like Heatran or Tyranitar to check Mega Pinsir which is a really stupid idea if you're a Mega Pinsir user. I would be more inclined to run Knock Off on something else that lures Skarmory like Landorus-T or something, remove Shed Shell that way if you are THAT bothered about it.

Its even more hilarious because it allows pokemon like Heatran or Tyranitar to check Mega Pinsir which is a really stupid idea if you're a Mega Pinsir user. I would be more inclined to run Knock Off on something else that lures Skarmory like Landorus-T or something, remove Shed Shell that way if you are THAT bothered about it.
Kind of silly IMO but is removing Quick Attack for Knock Off be a possible alternative? I mean, it's less threatening against teams with faster Pokemon as it has an only "decent" 105 speed but you do make it impossible for Heatran and Tyaranitar to come in (with either EQ or Close Combat) and still screw up Skarmory's day with a Knock Off.

Kind of silly IMO but is removing Quick Attack for Knock Off be a possible alternative? I mean, it's less threatening against teams with faster Pokemon as it has an only "decent" 105 speed but you do make it impossible for Heatran and Tyaranitar to come in (with either EQ or Close Combat) and still screw up Skarmory's day with a Knock Off.
Yeah, that's another alternative, but it makes +2 Pinsir much less threatening, because basically every offensive team out there carries at least one thing with over 105 base speed, like the latis or terrak, and because of that, you can almost guarantee that Pinsir won't be cleaning up.

Yeah, that's another alternative, but it makes +2 Pinsir much less threatening, because basically every offensive team out there carries at least one thing with over 105 base speed, like the latis or terrak, and because of that, you can almost guarantee that Pinsir won't be cleaning up.
I absolutely agree, which is why I call the prospect kind of silly. Most teams which run Pinsir rely on it to clean up.

I absolutely agree, which is why I call the prospect kind of silly. Most teams which run Pinsir rely on it to clean up.
True, Knock Off Pinsir appears to be a bad tech choice at first glance, because bunnyspam already does well against most varients of stall, and it becomes much less effective against balanced and offensive teams because of the coverage move it gives up. I guess we can just wait for this to die down, and then Shed Shell Skarm + Doublade become strong choices again against this team.

Just a thought: Is there any ability to hybridize stall and weather playstyle? I know it's extremely limiting to have a Politoed on your team as it counters virtually nothing (Charizard Y is the only thing I can list right now) but I imagine the increase in popularity of Rain playstyle means having one in addition to taking advantage of Rain could benefit the metagame shift (something I think Stall will need to do more of at the number of sweeper options slowly increases).

I kind of skipped Generation 5 so I'm not really aware of anything in that regard besides the massive prevalence of weather wars in that generation. I didn't see Weather Stall in Generation 4 or 3 (though Sandstorm was massively popular it wasn't a real Stall mechanic from what I remember as much as just watching sides lob Stealth Rocks and bring out Garchomp or TTar) so I kind of apologize if this topic has been mentioned previously.

Just a thought: Is there any ability to hybridize stall and weather playstyle? I know it's extremely limiting to have a Politoed on your team as it counters virtually nothing (Charizard Y is the only thing I can list right now) but I imagine the increase in popularity of Rain playstyle means having one in addition to taking advantage of Rain could benefit the metagame shift (something I think Stall will need to do more of at the number of sweeper options slowly increases).

I kind of skipped Generation 5 so I'm not really aware of anything in that regard besides the massive prevalence of weather wars in that generation. I didn't see Weather Stall in Generation 4 or 3 (though Sandstorm was massively popular it wasn't a real Stall mechanic from what I remember as much as just watching sides lob Stealth Rocks and bring out Garchomp or TTar) so I kind of apologize if this topic has been mentioned previously.
Rain and stall go together like oranges and toothpaste, that is, they don't go very well together at all this gen.

The only thing I can think of would be bulky wisp char y + ttar stall. ttar ensures that bulky char y always gets 5 turns of sun. FWI there would be nothing else abusing weather, but its p much the only tactic weather related.

Well rainstall was a play style last gen, but it relied on the permanence of rain.
I'm guessing the demand for a Damp Rock in this generation and using about 2-3/8 turns to keep permanent rain makes it much more difficult to utilize?

If you have a weather setter on your team you can screw over other teams based around weather. Removing sand and/or rain is a big plus for Mega Charizard Y and Hippowdon on stall. I don't think a stall team can actually abuse weather though, not now that it isn't permanent. You would have to keep restarting the weather all the time which isn't exactly an efficient use of your turns. Sure, Rain Dish Tentacruel is pretty cool but it has to swap out for Politoed once every 8 turns, 5 if Politoed doesn't hold Damp Rock. Simply put, there isn't anywhere near enough positives to outweigh the negatives.

For what it's worth I've hit 1525 with this stall team in orasou. Stall is doing fine as a playstyle imo. Whatever power creep there has been, you have to make up for it with smart switches, unpredictability, and reasoning whether the opponents dragons are running fire or ground coverage (what can I say, it's pokemon, you dont always guess right)

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Toxic
- Calm Mind
- Rest/Slack Off

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 216 HP / 252 Def / 40 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Mew @ Shed Shell
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 248 HP / 140 SpD / 120 Spe
Careful Nature
- Defog
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roost
- Low Kick/Earthquake

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Toxic

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy
Shiny: Yes
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Roost
- Brave Bird
- Whirlwind
Notice that its only 5 pokemon. The 6th should be whatever stealth rocker you feel like adding. You can add something more offensive and blurr the lines between stall and balance if you want.

TWO shed shell pokemon, but that's just what you need with the presence of gothielle and zone and even double zone+magneton.

Note: team has noticeable issues with specs keldeo and specs magnezone, (but porygon2 covers LO greninja) so take that into account when adding your 6th mon. You can simply replace skarmory's spikes with stealth rock if you want, which completely free's up your 6th slot to be practically anything.

Slowbro is a godsend to stall. You cant be critt'd so if you know your calcs you will always be in 3hko or 4hko range after getting in safe and a boost. Make sure to keep unevolved and abuse regenerator when the situation calls for it.

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Scald

Sylveon @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell
- Protect
- Wish

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Ability: Bulletproof
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Atk / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spikes
- Wood Hammer
- Drain Punch
- Leech Seed

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 212 HP / 44 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Calm Nature
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Acid Spray

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Sacred Sword
- Gyro Ball
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Bro+Sylveon OP. Typing has always had it that way, now Bro is just a standalone monster so he can really do it like a skarm chans.

You're covered for everything but ZardY and Landorus-I. And Landorus I can be taken decently by bro/sylveon depending on movesets. Definitely have to check it down, though. Tentacruel was suggested to me by Jukain as a Greninja counter. It doesn't have the longevity of P2 but it also serves as a second check to MSable, serves to take down setup CM Clefable and is an all-around great spinner when taken in terms of spike usage.

One thing I have noticed is the heavy amounts of flying types to complement Mence. It really is a garbage metagame but most stall teams slay mence so joke's on them (got two mence teams beaten in the last OU tour with this team). Essentially, this team is nigh impossible to break physically so you're stuck trying to push through Sylveon, Doublade and Tentacruel with Greninja, Lati twins, Gardevoir (if they have it) clefable, sceptile, landorus or Thundurus. Really, out of that only Landorus is getting anywhere... Sceptile is covered nicely by sylveon and doublade, clef and sable get beaten by acid spray Tenta and even mega latis, bar that stored power nonsense, can't get words in edgewise vs Doublade.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/orasou-180847436 Finals
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/orasou-180843391 Semi
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/orasou-180839806 Quarters

As you can see, nothing too special about this team but it does nice work. There are an absolute TON of zones running around (and note this team isn't very clean vs zones) but I feel like after so much exposure to them, they're relatively easy to predict because they rely so heavily on trapping. Mence is everywhere, as everyone has stated. Metagross can't catch a break vs Slowbro tbh, even though you'd assume it'd start running grass knot or Tpunch eventually.

But one observation I've had is currently I'm being forced to make sacrifices by 30-40 turns in. The metagame uses an unholy amount of u-turn and power that forces me to eventually cut losses and fodder. I mean, it isn't even matchup, really. It's just that other teams hit with insane power than even these walls I use with huge defensive stats are getting to the point that chip damage is becoming fatal. Mostly, this has to do with the fact that landorus+zone combos seem to be everywhere and if you aren't facing zone, you're fashing rotom in the same slot.

Also... Chesnaught is Arceus' son. Holy shit this thing got good in ORAS.

Last edited:
I think your team is well built, and it's nice to see that you're honest about potential weaknesses it might have. Every stall team has them and pointing out that magnezone and landorus and charizard are annoying is really helpful for anyone who wants to try it.

I agree with your comment that you typically have to end up saccing something earlier than in the past, but hopefully by then that pokemon has already "done its job" and it's not needed anymore to wall something.

Greninja is a ridiculous pita and I'm glad to see that tentacruel does well against him. I chose the porygon2 route because nothing appreciates the incoming discharge/toxic.

You mentioned grass knot metagross and that is the reason why I run a max def skarm, which unfortunately cant do anything but roost until healthy then whirlwind. My slowbro got slapped once by it, never again. Though I suppose thunder punch could become a thing.

252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross Thunder Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 136-160 (40.7 - 47.9%) -- 55.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

As for salamence, I'm a bit sloppy against it, but he never gets a free set up at least. Everything can take 1 or 2 hits and hit back. It's a matter of either keeping SR up or forcing a sub, in which case sylveon ohkos. He seems to be more useful against offensive teams that get shredded by a +1 frustration.

edit; I dont mean to undersell salamence. Surely there are some out there than run iron tail or hydro pump or any other coverage move to kill pokemon like sylveon and rhyperior, and he is very threatening no matter what checks you have

Last edited:

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Slowbro @ Slowbronite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock
- Slack Off
- Scald

Sylveon @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Serious Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Heal Bell
- Protect
- Wish

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Atk / 224 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spikes
- Wood Hammer
- Drain Punch
- Leech Seed

Rhyperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 212 HP / 44 Atk / 252 Def
Adamant Nature
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpD / 32 Spe
Calm Nature
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Acid Spray

Doublade @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Sword
- Gyro Ball
- Rest
- Shadow Sneak

Bro+Sylveon OP. Typing has always had it that way, now Bro is just a standalone monster so he can really do it like a skarm chans.

You're covered for everything but ZardY and Landorus-I. And Landorus I can be taken decently by bro/sylveon depending on movesets. Definitely have to check it down, though. Tentacruel was suggested to me by Jukain as a Greninja counter. It doesn't have the longevity of P2 but it also serves as a second check to MSable, serves to take down setup CM Clefable and is an all-around great spinner when taken in terms of spike usage.

One thing I have noticed is the heavy amounts of flying types to complement Mence. It really is a garbage metagame but most stall teams slay mence so joke's on them (got two mence teams beaten in the last OU tour with this team). Essentially, this team is nigh impossible to break physically so you're stuck trying to push through Sylveon, Doublade and Tentacruel with Greninja, Lati twins, Gardevoir (if they have it) clefable, sceptile, landorus or Thundurus. Really, out of that only Landorus is getting anywhere... Sceptile is covered nicely by sylveon and doublade, clef and sable get beaten by acid spray Tenta and even mega latis, bar that stored power nonsense, can't get words in edgewise vs Doublade.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/orasou-180847436 Finals
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/orasou-180843391 Semi
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/orasou-180839806 Quarters

As you can see, nothing too special about this team but it does nice work. There are an absolute TON of zones running around (and note this team isn't very clean vs zones) but I feel like after so much exposure to them, they're relatively easy to predict because they rely so heavily on trapping. Mence is everywhere, as everyone has stated. Metagross can't catch a break vs Slowbro tbh, even though you'd assume it'd start running grass knot or Tpunch eventually.

But one observation I've had is currently I'm being forced to make sacrifices by 30-40 turns in. The metagame uses an unholy amount of u-turn and power that forces me to eventually cut losses and fodder. I mean, it isn't even matchup, really. It's just that other teams hit with insane power than even these walls I use with huge defensive stats are getting to the point that chip damage is becoming fatal. Mostly, this has to do with the fact that landorus+zone combos seem to be everywhere and if you aren't facing zone, you're fashing rotom in the same slot.

Also... Chesnaught is Arceus' son. Holy shit this thing got good in ORAS.
Using a stall team with four Pokemon without reliable recovery makes it very easy to play around, no to mention that Sylveon can't heal against Roar Heatran, an amazing Pokemon atm, because it counters SubDD Mega Salamence. You also lack Toxic users and last Pokemon answers. Other than Mega Charizard Y and Landorus, other Pokemon you are weak to are CM Mega Latias (single handedly sweeps), Mega Gardevoir + Lati@s, Roar Heatran + Pokemon checked by Sylveon (Thundurus for example), specially attacking Mega Altaria with EQ, stallbreaker Gliscor, stallbreaker Mew, and the traditional Pokemon that totally anhilate stall, RD TG Manaphy, and Spike stacking stall with Mega Sableye.

Don't want to sound like i am bashing your team or anything like that, i find it interesting actually, which is why i commented on it, but it is way too easy to wear down with only two Pokemon with reliable recovery, and one of which relies on WishTect.

The obvious changes you can make are Sleep Talk > Shadow Sneak on Doublade and Synthesis > Leech Seed on Chesnaught. Both Pokemon become more independent and harder to wear down, without losing anything important.

Oh, I respect that there are a lot of issues with this team, especially on the special side. But looking at your threat evaluation, I'd guess I've at least covered almost all threats that are physically based.

The issue with being easy to wear down would be true if chesnaught wasn't really good at keeping his health really high. Tentacruel struggles like crazy, yes, so I sometimes have to make some plays with Sylveon to get some wishes. It is an absolutely enormous concern if I have to handle Clefable after greninja, but luckily Clefable needs +2 to start to bruise (I think it get 14% at +1 with moonblast). Rhyperior's lack of recovery is always going to be concerning, but his targets in bird spam will not be able to do much, anyways. The fact that I can literally lay on slowbro for 90% of physical mons (or what feels like that, anyways) indirectly saves Chesnaught and Rhyperior [especially chesnaught, since all it has to concern itself with is R-wash (Ohko), Azumarill w/bd and Exca/Sharp (who it gains health on)]. And I absolutely agree with doublade. It's just I can be really stubborn with giving up coverage to let rest be a useful option.

Going to lose to irregardless:
TG manaphy is probably going to shock this team unless I change sylveon to chansey. I've been thinking of that for a while, since I can technically really lie on Tentacruel to take care of Sableye-mega. (Btw, I think I can get past spike stack stall for the exact reason of acid spray... It may be an ugly process, but -2 > +1)At this point in time, Mega Lati forms kinda fall in the same category... that is nasty bulk that I don't have power for. I'm not sure Chansey even begins to solve this problem anyways. I've yet to see Mega Altaria go special, so I'll take your word for this.

Probably could remedy without too much issue:
With mew, I think I can get it with Tenta same method. Seems ridiculously shaky, but changing at doublade for heatran to solve that or rhyperior for Gliscor just gives me more issues than I started with unless Bro can take even more abuse from Mence/TFlame/Pinsir-mega and such. It would help with Zone, though. Thankfully, I can at least kill the Spdef Gliscor, which seems to be more common. If it's that godforsaken sub toxic gliscor, at this point, I'll take my loss if Sylveon can't get it. While I do take toxic damage, I also have heal bell for his protect turns and 4hko when factoring in poison heal and protect.

Still questioning:
The lati+Gardm thing... Are we just assuming constant abuse from the two is going to break doublade? Because individually, neither can do better that 3hko and Gard is OHKO'd, Lati 2hko'd by gyro. Yeah, there's a good bit of pressure on Sylveon to get a heal bell in case of a crit, but doublade should be able to take enough hyper voices to rest again (although that is a rather unappealing answer). Of course, this discludes Wisp and Shadow Ball, though the former is still hurt by gyro for a 2hko.

With roar heatran, I was incredibly tempted to run HP Ground on Sylveon to punish that switch but giving up bell would be too much for that trade (Protect is absolutely necessary given wish and scouting zone's lock right now). I guess solace in the fact that it can't really kill much besides chesnaught and sylveon?

I don't mind the sleep talk change at all, Doublade tends to hit like a wet cloth with shadow sneak anyways. I might miss it on some really screwy scenario where I wish I had priority but that's a failure on my part for letting a situation like that arise. As for Chesnaught... I'll keep monitoring his average health on this team. I just don't know if it falls low enough to justify that over the cute leech seed residuals. Even taking full health azumarill and rotom right after another, he only loses about 50% health (of course, rotom has to be down 12-17% for this to work). The biggest hits he generally takes is from a landorus-t U-turn, which does about 33%. Same deal with a bisharp/exca iron head, but again, drain punch nullifies all damage here.

I could see going to Spdef Gliscor and Chansey as opposed to Rhypeior and Sylveon. If course, this makes me more reliant on Bro, but it gives me more reliable recovery, a mew/gliscor answer, a TG manaphy answer (not an rd one tho) and a decent helper with Lati/Gard and roar tran. The other fix, which still leaves me open to TG manaphy is to make the Spdef Gliscor replacement and then switch in some physically defensive EVs on sylveon, which helps handle lati@s better. Sylveon is nice simply because it provides an early game check to Sableye-mega if I see a reason to hold onto tentacruel, and it also does have the ability to prevent Mence from mindlessly waltzing in.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
What EV spread is recommended on resttalk Doublade?
Also, what stall mons will be great in the ORAS metagame? Skarmory, Porygon 2, Zapdos and Chesnaught look promising

Well, the resttalk spread I've always used is:

Doublade @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Sword
- Gyro Ball
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Just to wall off Gard and have a bit of power to hit with. The spread was to not get 3hko'd by Gard's hyper voice.

As for mons that are really good in this meta, it's really P2, Slowbro-M, Sableye-M and Chesnaught are kind of the biggest improver/overall best mons. However, I would argue that Skarmory has continued to get worse due to the sheer amount of trappers. There's probably a magnezone every two or three games so you're taking unnecessary risks by even using Skarmory. Aerodactyl-Mega, rotom-wash and Rhyperior are all more solid choices for bird spam right now and for handling Excadrill/Landorus, you can use Gliscor, Landorus-t, Chesnaught, or Hippowdon. You just can't afford to have such trap bait on your team.

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Thanks for the EV spread

http://sim.smogon.com:8080/Stats/2014-10/orasou-1760.0.txt

12 | Magnezone | 12.65879%
32 | Gothitelle | 6.81402%

Magnezone is indeed really popular (#29 in XY OU) in the ORAS meta but they pretty often run a Shed Shell (34% does) When equipped a Shed Shell, you still have the ability to beat wall like Mega Metagross, Mega Swampert and Mega Pinsir. Knock Off Spam really hurt it tho and I have seen teams with Knock Off + Trapper + Sweeper pretty often just because Skarmory is often being annoying with his Shed Shell
I agree pokemon like Rotom-W and Rhyperior check birdspam way better, but that was already in XY because they aren't as passive as Skarmory is

Well since everyone else is doing it, gonna pastebin my mega bro team, haven't tested it very much because of school. It's alot more semi-stall then the other teams:

Slowbro-Mega @ Slowbronite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Spiky Shield

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Soft-Boiled
- Heal Bell
- Toxic

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin

Gothitelle @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 80 HP / 176 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Psychic
- Calm Mind
- Rest

I started with a mega bro+chesnaught core, as it counters nearly every physical attacker in the game. This includes mega mence, which is why mega slowbro is so good. The only exception is mega heracross and that annoying offensive mega scizor set that runs bug bite. Chansey then covers the majority of special attackers, leaving only mew, gengar, tornadus-t, landorus, alakazam and mega gardevoir as threats. Gothitelle neuters landorus, tornadus-t (outspeeds by 1 point), and mew by tricking it a scarf, as well as trapping annoying pokemon such as chansey, clefable, mega heracross etc. Scarf ttar pursuit traps gengar and trick scarfed tornadus-t, as well as lati@s to prevent defoging away the spikes chesnaught sets. Ttar+excadrill also lets me play around and trap annoying volt turners such as mega manectric. Finally, excadrill helps clean up against offense, provides rapid spin support, and gives me some offensive presence that allows me to revenge kill things that would otherwise beat me. The only things I can think of that isnt covered is offensive scizor, well played gardevoir/alakazam, random trickscarfers, and bp.

I also have a mega latias stall team, but its almost identical to aj's mega slowbro team, so I wont post it.

Any examples of Mega Altaria stall teams? I haven't been since before the new Mega-Evos were released due to uni, I don't know how the metagame has shifted in response to them. Mega Altaria looks extremely promising for stall though, as does Mega Slowbro.

I'll have to be honest and say that my teambuilding has been a bit sloppy; I typically leave myself pretty open to volt-turn teams and killing off rotom and greninja almost always comes down to hazard damage and burn/toxic. But I think part of the reason is that there are so many new things to play around with and I typically end up focusing on having fun with a new mega instead of sitting down and really tweaking an absolutely spectacular stall team. I typically use the tried-and-tested slowbro+sylveon+porygon2 core and slap 3 random bulky things in the other 3 slots, whatever the current flavor is. For example today I randomly used taunt skarmory and taunt willo spdef talonflame.

That said, I decided to make a just such a "fun" team today and I had some enjoyable battles despite the overlooked weakness to electric moves.

Now I've already previously admitted to the flaws I have with my teambuilding but I thought that I had a really great battle today and if you like watching fat pokemon stubbornly tank through things (by the skin of their teeth) then you might enjoy this replay. It's actually fairly action packed and only around 50 turns (but turn 30-40 is a stall war between sylveon and the aforementioned pesky rotom-w) and overall I'd recommend giving it a watch just for the twist ending.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/orasou-181273596

Any examples of Mega Altaria stall teams? I haven't been since before the new Mega-Evos were released due to uni, I don't know how the metagame has shifted in response to them. Mega Altaria looks extremely promising for stall though, as does Mega Slowbro.
Mhm I've been testing Malt and I run a Sub/Roost/CottonGuard/BodySlam set and combine it with Blissey. I don't think the team is great but Mega Altaria has been hella convenient. She covers a lot of stuff which actually leaves you with room to go for more specific counters that might fight your team better. My strategy is to have hazards down and force plenty of switches, using a lot of leftover damage. I think for defensive Altaria, having a taunter to stallbreak is pretty important, or at least make sure your team can handle other stall teams. Her typing's been good to me so far, and paralyze chance... why not eh? Threatens a lot of switch-ins.

For a defensive mega (and most mons, to be honest), Mega Altaria's defensive stats are slightly lack-luster and there's not much in the meta I specifically want Altaria to counter that I couldn't take elsewhere. Charizard-X is the main pokemon I'd like to counter, and it really struggles after Zard starts to pick up boosts.

For a defensive mega (and most mons, to be honest), Mega Altaria's defensive stats are slightly lack-luster and there's not much in the meta I specifically want Altaria to counter that I couldn't take elsewhere. Charizard-X is the main pokemon I'd like to counter, and it really struggles after Zard starts to pick up boosts.
I think your seriously underestimating the amount of stuff it walls

Things it walls/checks: ZardX, Keldeo, lati@s, Bisharp, Zard Y, garchomp, landorous-T, dragonite, mega gyardos, mega heracross, mega medicham, rotom-w, terrakion, slowbro, Mega Aerodactyl, tyranitar, kingdra, suicune, breloom, victini, crawdaunt.

Not to mention all the new megas it laughs at: Mega Gallade, mega sabeleye, mega lopunny, mega sceptile, mega sharpedo. It can even beat mega mence.

very few things can wall the stuff it can

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)