RU Player of the Week 3: SilentVerse

Status
Not open for further replies.
EonX / Molk

Now on Sundays!

Hello and welcome to Player of the Week. This thread hopes to increase the visibility of prominent RU players to the community and the outside world while promoting both users and the strategies that they find to be effective in the metagame. If there is someone you would like to see interviewed, feel free to drop me a PM.

SilentVerse
Favorite Pokemon: Surskuit
Most known for: Co-leading the RU tier
Favorite Playstyle: Semistall
Most used Pokemon: Alomomola​
Leer: What is it like being Co-leader, what do you do, and how did you get there?
SilentVerse: Hmm, well, being a co-leader is a pretty cool experience. I was Co-leader for BW RU in certain parts of it though, so it's not a totally new experience! Basically, what I most do is talk with Molk about what Pokemon we feel deserve to be suspected, and whether or not we should suspect them We also talk about stuff involving subforum activity, who to badge, etc. Basically, my job as tier leader is to give Molk someone to bounce ideas off to help him straighten out his thoughts and stuff. Before I officially became Co-leader, I did this anyway haha, and once it was decided that it was preferred that tiers had co-leaders rather than just one person leading the tier, Molk just made me co-leader :).

Leer: So you're pretty well known for liking bug types, which one has been your favorite to use?
SilentVerse: In terms of shitty bugs, Butterfree will always be my fave because just beating people with a Butterfree is such a rewarding feeling lmao (like seriously, try it). However, if we're talking about bugs that I'm actually going to use in a competitive match, I'd probably say Durant, because it's a surprisingly versatile mon imo that has a lot of cute things that it can do even with its limited movepool.

Leer: What non-bug is your favorite in RU?
SilentVerse: Cobalion is probably one of my favorite mons rignt now in RU, and it finds its way on basically all my non-stall teams lol (ok that's not a lot of teams but still). I like how it's a fast Stealth Rock setter with Volt Switch and a great typing, which lets it pivot effectively while setting up rocks. It's also a decent sweeper with Swords Dance, and can surprise things like Doublade pretty effectively with things like Calm Mind and Hidden Power Ghost

Leer: What pokemon has given you the most trouble in battle?
SilentVerse: This is probably a bit of a lame answer, but I would have to say RU suspect candidate Moltres. Hurricane off its Special Attack just is extremely hard to deal with barring Assault Vest Slowking, and a well-played Moltres can outmanouever Slowking by doing things like luring it in then double switching to trap it with Pursuit. It's a super strong Pokemon that is very difficult to deal with right now imo.

Leer: How, in your opinion, does this gen compare to last?
SilentVerse: Mmm, in all honesty, I'm not a fan of this gen. I think that a lot of the changes managed to fix some of the glaring problems of BW (broken sleep, broken dragons, overly hazard reliant meta), but they also introduced a lot of problems of their own that have made this gen kinda meh (Knock Off being basically the best move in the game, overly matchup-reliant games, etc). Maybe it's just me being salty about all the changes that have occured in the past two gens (I did start in DPP after all). As a result, I do have to say I enjoyed BW2 RU more than XY RU atm, but XY RU is a still a decent metagame in its own right.

Leer: What do you think RU has over other tiers, and what do you think RU has that players would like?
SilentVerse: Hm, if I'm to be honest with you, I think a really cool thing about RU is that it has a really awesome community that's super fun to be a part of. #rarelyused is super active a lot of the time, and there's a lot of really cool discussion both about mons and not about mons that goes on there. #rarelyused's community is a big draw to RU imo, and if you haven't got on the chan before I'd recommend that you do! In terms of the tier itself, RU has a different flavor than UU and NU that is pretty interesting. It's not quite like NU which is a lot of bottom of the barrel mons, nor is it like UU which is mostly standard Pokemon that don't quite get enough use in OU because of the recent power creep; it has somewhat solid Pokemon that are a kinda good, but not amazing. There's also a lot of creativity that springs up because of this, which I'm sure any player who enjoys using different things will enjoy. I dunno what else to say tbh, RU is just a fun tier haha, and I think that there's just a lot of things for people to enjoy about it :).

Leer: If you could change one thing about your overall experience, what would it be?
SilentVerse: I guess I'd have liked to have gotten into the community a bit sooner than I did. I didn't really get that involved on Smogon until user: Nails invited me into #rarelyused back when BW RU was still young. However, I'd been playing DPP UU way before then and did reasonably well on the ladder (though I can't say I was honestly that great of a player). Had I gotten into the community then, I probably would've been able to be a better player. That being said, I've enjoyed my time on Smogon and with Pokemon quite a bit, and even though I'm less active nowadays due to my newfound passion for League of Legends (which may or may not be consuming me, rip), I still enjoy just chattin with people in #rarelyused and watching ShakeItUp donk people with his legendary RU pride teams. So in that sense, I don't think I'd change a thing :).

Leer: What advice do you have for new players?
SilentVerse: Don't be too afraid to jump into the tier! Lurking is always good, but honestly the best way to get into the tier or community is to talk to people who play it. Getting on #rarelyused and just hanging out is a great way to get into the community, since even though Smogon might come off as a bit pretentious, we're really just a bunch of cool dudes who play a game we find fun. In terms of becoming a better player, it's all about learning from your mistakes. Watch replays of good players playing, and reflect on games you've lost / won and see where you could improve. Maybe you made an overly risky play that cost you a lot of momentum or you played too passively and let your opponent walk all over you. Just take note of what you can improve, and try to put that into practice in your next games. And, if you really need it, don't be afraid to ask me or some other players on some advice about your plays, I'm sure we'd be willing to help :).

If you have any additional questions for SilentVerse, you can ask him!
What did you think about this week's interview? And again, if there's a player you want see interviewed, feel free to PM me.

Thoughts on Moltres and the possible suspect? Is it worthy a suspect?

Thoughts on Fletchinder on defensive teams?

Will you set fire to your bird, simply to see if turns into a Moltres that you can ban?

Is Marco Reus the best, sexiest, cutest and greatest footballer to live?
Yes. Yes, he is. He, and Miroslav Klose, is the epitome of perfect footballers.

Llamas edit: fixed ur hide ;o

Last edited by a moderator:

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
SilentVerse When are we gonna build megahornylaurel team gen 6 version?

Why were all of your teams in BW RU rekt by rest talk calm mind Entei?

Why is oglemi such a large butt?

Cutest non-bug Pokemon iyo? (Otherwise it's obv surskit).

Who would win in a fight irl, me or -Tsunami-

How are you so cute? Does being that cute hurt?

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
nice hide you got there Kyouko ;o

Aside from Moltres, is there anything else you think is suspect worthy?

What are your thoughts on the new Megas that will be coming out soon? Which ones do you think will get banned and which ones do you think will stay / where will they be placed on the viability rankings?

I love you, Llamas. In every gay way possible.
With that said...

More questions.

Do you name your mons? If yes, do you follow a specific theme or just random names? If no, are you a boring person with no sense for puns?
How's life? What do you do besides pokemon? (Work, hobbies etc)
Favorite mon? Mola might be most used, but is it fav?
Why are so great with playstyle tastes?

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
I can answer that one, he plays league of legends

and when he gets tired of that, he plays league of legends some more

and when i actually can play league of legends with him, he has to write essays for school

I can answer that one, he plays league of legends

and when he gets tired of that, he plays league of legends some more

and when i actually can play league of legends with him, he has to write essays for school
Sounds... pretty boring imho :ooo

SilentVerse

Into the New World
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Thoughts on Moltres and the possible suspect? Is it worthy a suspect?

Thoughts on Fletchinder on defensive teams?

Will you set fire to your bird, simply to see if turns into a Moltres that you can ban?

Is Marco Reus the best, sexiest, cutest and greatest footballer to live?
Yes. Yes, he is. He, and Miroslav Klose, is the epitome of perfect footballers.

Llamas edit: fixed ur hide ;o
I personally think Moltres is strong enough for a suspect. I mean, imo it shares a lot of similarities with Specs Yanmega in that it has a very limited set of counters that are pretty easy to wear down / remove with one support, and it requires hazard removal in order to be good. However, I also don't think it's, well, entirely necessary to suspect since the metagame is ok as is, but banning it would probably make the metagame better (but this is coming from someone who thinks banning more creates better metagames so n_n)

Fletchinder is interesting! It's really frail so defensively it doesn't provide too much defensive synergy, but the fact that it can mess up a lot of aggro teams really hard and is a nice "oh shit" button due to its strong af priority Acrobatics could make it a reasonable option on something like semistall as a win condition. The fact that it can spread burns is also kinda nice to help wear stuff down. It's a cool idea that could work, and I might try it out sometime tbh.

@_@

SilentVerse When are we gonna build megahornylaurel team gen 6 version?

Why were all of your teams in BW RU rekt by rest talk calm mind Entei?

Why is oglemi such a large butt?

Cutest non-bug Pokemon iyo? (Otherwise it's obv surskit).

Who would win in a fight irl, me or -Tsunami-

How are you so cute? Does being that cute hurt?
After you play league with me and you don't drop out you butt ):<.

Lies, my manual sand team rekt CM Rest Talk Entei tyvm ;).

I wouldn't know, sadly :[. I would suggest directing all butt-related queries to his fellow butts in crime, users: Honko and Nails

Chikorita. Baby dino <3

Shake obv, lol. He would like, litally destloy you, hello?

/me hug llamas

nice hide you got there Kyouko ;o

Aside from Moltres, is there anything else you think is suspect worthy?

What are your thoughts on the new Megas that will be coming out soon? Which ones do you think will get banned and which ones do you think will stay / where will they be placed on the viability rankings?
I think a lot of things could use suspecting, but I am a ridiculously banhappy man so I mean take my opinions with a grain of salt ;). I think Reuniclus is a p cancerous Pokemon, just because it forces you to use really obscure stuff to beat it reliably on anything defensive (and even on more offensive teams, if you don't hit it really fkin harder or your Knock Off user dies you can be kinda boned). Overall, I feel it makes the tier more team matchup based that it should be and I really hate it when games are decided right when team preview begins, so I think it's worthy of bein suspected but there isn't really much demand for that so meh.

Doublade could probably be suspected, not because I think it's broken really, but just because I think it'd be cool to see what a metagame without Doublade is like, because imo it does skew the tier quite a bit due to its godlike physical bulk + typing. It's sorta like, say, Alomomola in BW RU in that it makes a lot of the tier difficult to use due to its presence, so it'd be cool to see what the tier is like without it.

Other things I think are suspect worthy include Meloetta, Sharpedo, and maybe Cresselia, but these probably won't happen so ;).

I think the Megas are pretty cool! Mega Altaria seems kinda really strong atm just due to its typing and the fact that it has such a great movepool already, but if its stats are poorly placed it might not be that bad. Similarly, Sceptile could be pretty deadly if it gets some Attack with a Swords Dance set, since it's a ridiculously fast Dragon with Outrage and decent coverage. I dunno, honestly ORAS looks like it will shake up the meta quite a bit so we'll have to see!

Will answer more questions tmrrw n_n.

I asked that si
Fletchinder is interesting! It's really frail so defensively it doesn't provide too much defensive synergy, but the fact that it can mess up a lot of aggro teams really hard and is a nice "oh shit" button due to its strong af priority Acrobatics could make it a reasonable option on something like semistall as a win condition. The fact that it can spread burns is also kinda nice to help wear stuff down. It's a cool idea that could work, and I might try it out sometime tbh.
You should definitely try it out. I decided to try it out once for shits and giggles, and now 4 out of my 6 main stall teams (well, main teams) has it.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
hi friend :).

thoughts on dramaqueen?

Since you didnt include it in your original answer, what do you think of Mega Lopunny?

Any Pokemon you think are underrated atm? overrated?

SilentVerse

Into the New World
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I love you, Llamas. In every gay way possible.
With that said...

More questions.

Do you name your mons? If yes, do you follow a specific theme or just random names? If no, are you a boring person with no sense for puns?
Favorite mon? Mola might be most used, but is it fav?
Why are so great with playstyle tastes?
Not typically for ladder matches, but for important tour matches I sometimes name them after a theme (ie: team names, ru users etc etc).
Pearl answered this p well; mostly league and hw nowadays b/c nerd and it's my last year of high school n_n. However, I am also a part of a school choir group (b/c I love to sing and play the piano) and I tutor people in subjects they need help in to name a few other things I do other than league and hw and pkmn :).
I answered this in the interview I think, though I will say that I actually dislike Mola a lot as a mon because I think it's a silly mon that is bad for the meta.

Did/will you ever use lunatone again in bw or xy
Only if Dramaqueen drops ;).

hi friend :).

thoughts on dramaqueen?

Since you didnt include it in your original answer, what do you think of Mega Lopunny?

Any Pokemon you think are underrated atm? overrated?
Dramaqueen era was such a ridiculous time during BW2 RU, oml. I will concede now that honestly, Nidoqueen probly wasn't really a broken Pokemon, but I will insist that it made the metagame so much worse that I still don't understand how people insisted on keeping it in the tier for like a year before it moved up lol, so I don't relaly regret arguing to ridiculous extents about it. Honestly, I do kinda miss those times a bit because even though we were all really bitchy, it was kinda cool to see everyone so passionate about the tier :p (also if Nidoqueen drops I will do my best to make sure it gets booted asap ):< FK Nidoqueen.).

Mega Lopunny is interesting. I don't know how good it will actually be since Lopunny's base stats are so mediocre, but Scrappy Hi Jump Kick is always interesting, and Mega Lopunny has some really nice utility in things like Healing Wish. Unless it gets a ridiculous attack boost I don't really see it being broken (well, as long as we have stuff like Reuniclus and Cresselia in the tier I guess), but it will be strong for sure.

Ambipom Cinccino seems pretty underrated honestly. It has a speed tier that outspeeds most of the tier, has coverage that hits almost everything relevant that can tank Tail Slap (Knock Off for Doublade and other Ghosts and some Steels, Bullet Seed for Rhyperior and Alomomolka), and is strong enough to threaten some bulky things in general (it can beat Gligar by itself, for example, by Knocking off Eviolite then 2hkoing it with Tail Slap. I've always been a fan of Cinccino so I might be overrating it a little myself, and it does have issues with things like Mach Punch from Hitmonlee and Gurdurr, but I think it's a Pokemon that could certainly stand to be used more than it currently is.

I think Clawitzer is pretty overrated tbh, it's slow and has mediocre bulk which means it's meh against more agressive teams, and against more defensive ones it's not terribly difficult to wear it down through its own Life Orb recoil. I guess it is pretty strong and the fact that it can actually 2HKO AV Slowking is pretty cool, as well as the fact that metagame is relatively slow right now so it can do more, but I dunno, it seems kinda like a slightly better version of BW RU Magmortar, and BW RU Magmortar was only really good if you wanted to cteam stall and you had the skill to predict extremely well, so I'm not too fond of Clawitzer (maybe this is because most of the people who've used Clawitzer vs me haven't played it terribly well, I dunno.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)