Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

Decided to do to do this overview of what I think about characters that I play.

Who I play:
Sheik
: Took me a while to get used to, but I'm really liking this character (I want to call Sheik a she because Sheik is a disguise of Zelda but it's a video game I don't freaking know maybe Zelda magically literally grew a pair) as much as I liked Sheik in previous games. B-Side is incredibly nice and I like how there is a good knockback move replacing what was supposed to be a transformation last game to make Sheik a standalone character, and she can zone/combo way better than ever before, at least compared to Brawl. Up air+forward throw leads to some really nice damage too.

Shulk: He's a pretty nice character, feels like a hybrid of Ike and Marth yet has really nice Monado artes to distinguish him from both. A grab+jab combo with purple Monado arte is really nice early on and can even deal 60% to most characters in the game, and that's great because the red Monado arte let's him KO opponents at like 90% with his smash attacks it's insane. He is kind of hard to use though, not going to lie, and at times I do find him to over rely on his counter, which is great but as with all counters can make you vulnerable.

Marth: He got nerfed and I can notice it, but I don't think the nerfs were that bad. I still think his aerial game is fine if you can land your tippers and his ground game is still pretty good, too. He has some troubles with people with a lot of harass more than ever but you can work around that if you can close the distance and land your tippers well.

Yoshi: Haven't played a whole lot of this green dino, but he seems really buffed. I really want to try him out some more soon. :D His B up is really nice for harassing, though.

Lemmy: The best Koopa of them all! He's just such a wacky and oddball of a character but I like how he's good at getting distance yet still being nice up front and pulling his weight up close. I haven't found his aerial game to be as good as I thought it would be, (seriously he has a clown cart with propellers how is his ground game better) but it's still pretty nice. Also, bonking people with your hammer is the greatest feeling ever.

Last edited:

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
I guess I'll go along with this.

Little Mac: Kinda easy, fun as hell. Being able to punish and destroy the people who think sitting at the edge is going to save them from Mac's ground game has been the most fun thing to do on For Glory. Mac obviously has a lot of weaknesses but its been pretty apparent that they're easy to patch up by being patient and mixing up your recovery.

Ganondorf: This character is probably underrated, but probably still not that good. He only seems barely better than Brawl Ganon (the fact that he got any nerfs at all from Brawl is disgusting) and all he really has going for him is that he kills early and lives forever compared to most the cast. Fun character all around and pretty solid in Teams, at least.

Dr. Mario: I'm currently trying to find reasons to play this character over normal Mario, and I'm not finding them yet. His Bair is probably one of the best moves in the game and Mario Tornado is way better than FLUDD, but otherwise he seems to be worse than Mario. So much stuff is so weird compared to Melee, especially Pills. The slow, damaging projectile is now a fast and weak one, it feels really bad :(

I've touched on Bowser/Shulk/Greninja but I haven't really played enough of them for a good impression, Bowser and Gren seem solid though and Shulk seems a weak overall and I'm not sure the Monando arts patch that up well enough.

Well, I have a cold on my birthday, bored to death, and really just chilling like a villain, so what do I do with Smash in that time-frame? Beat Classic on 9.0 and now explain the Hands n' Core fight to the best of my ability, at least from my perspective. And since know not everyone has got to this point, I placed spoilers, so view at your own risk because...erm....spoilers.

First things first, 6 forms in 5 minutes. Typically time limits wouldn't be a problem, except when the boss has a very good amount of health to outlast your attacks, as well as making sure you cease attacking when he attacks. In 9.0 especially, I had to get hasty with attacking so I don't time out, and if you DO time out...GAME OVER. You have to start all over to get back to the same position (why troll us so, Sakurai?).

Anyways, now to the boss itself...

1st Form: The Hands: Wow, Sakurai and pals, I didn't think you could make the Hands any harder, but you did it and then some. I'll say it out right now, the Hands are easily the hardest part of this fight. They are even more unpredictable than ever before, with little to no telegraphing involved, and their attacks can be used as a setup for an onslaught of pain, such as Master Hand's snap to one of Crazy Hand's ridiculously high knockback/damage moves. However, it is the cards (or cheese) that Master Hand deals that is the killer. Alone, it is simple enough to dodge, but then you have Crazy Hand, whose attacks can bury you on a card, one of those being a grab, pretty much guaranteeing a KO no matter what your percentage is. Essentially, you want to pray Crazy Hand doesn't get obnoxious when the cards are dealt (which is a slim chance, by the way). Some of the other attacks that will annoy people are the energy rods and fist punch from Crazy Hand. All that I could do is just make sure that I defeated the hands quickly.

2nd Form: Sapien: Not much of a first form for the Master Core, to be quite honest, but threatening nonetheless. It suffers from being like Tabuu, which means very deadly attacks that are easily telegraphed, but a few moves stand out. The stage lift attack is really risky, as it can easily rack up damage and trying to go off the ledge and what-not could result in a quick KO. His "Off-Wave" esque attack is really brutal in 9.0, easily KOing you if you don't dodge. But because of how easily his attacks are telegraphed, this is by far the easiest form.

3rd Form: Scorpion: From predictable and slow to somewhat predictable and rather fast, the Scorpion form can do some nasty things. The stage jumps are the real killer in this form, as there is no way to determine if the Core will jump on the same side as it was previously, or go to the other side. There is also the bite that it attempts by going off-stage, but that can be easily sidestepped or rolled out. The only projectile it has is a set of spikes which will jut out of the ground below you, but again, simply sidestepped or rolled out. The difficulty of this phase really just comes down to the frequency of his attacks, because it can either do a few at a time, or just spam every single move in its arsenal.

4th Form: Sabre: It should be noted that you can sneak a few hits off this form at the beginning of the phase,
and it is heavily recommended. The range of this form's attacks are dumbfounding, but most have projectiles (so ready up reflectors if you have them). Only two attacks come to mind as threatening, the flurry of slashes to finisher and the 5-sword slashfest. The flurry of slashes is actually very simple to dodge, but it is very foreboding. JUST SHIELD every attack except for the finisher, in which case do a dodge. If not, the last hit will whack you downwards and far away. The 5-sword slashfest, as I call it, is easily the trickiest move in the entire Master Core arsenal. Swords 1 thru 3 go in a rhythm, but the 4th one comes in unexpectedly fast after, which kills the rhythm. Getting hit by the large 5th sword will likely equate to a KO, so yeah.

5th Form: Simalcrum: Or Clone Form, for some. Essentially it becomes a standard CPU fight with the catch that the opponent has much more killing power and potential than you, and starts out large, meaning it has high ranged attacks. All I can say here is to do your best, since it becomes a regular old CPU, and whittle down the form fast so that it becomes smaller. A standard KO against the form ends the phase, so try all you can to finish the fight fast.

6th Form: Smash: Have fun smacking away the core. Just don't wait too long, otherwise you will have to deal with Off-Wave esque attacks again before it self-destructs.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Talked about my Smash3DS faves on my Twitter account late Saturday night, so I'll just link the pastebin here for convenience. Since then, I've started to get the hang of Greninja a bit.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I just got ROB so I havent done anything online yet. I find getting used to the more cramped control to be a pain and I am still attempting to perfect it. Lacking the C stick hasnt bothered me though as I seem to unleash smashes easier than I do the tilt attacks lol.

Thus far Ive been really impressed with Bowser, ZSS, Shiek, and Baby Bowser. I liked Diddy Kong a lot in Brawl and he still seems on par here - albiet a little weaker. Some potentials I want to try:

Marth / Lucina - currently I dont know the differences between the two but I just got Lucina and havent seen much of her in action.

Robin - his kit is hella fun but I feel currently my controlling is a little too whack to make effective use of him.

Little Mac - so strongth. Must try.

Charizard / Greninja - both look very fun to play. Charizard's Flare Blitz is hella strong.

Any other suggestions and recommendations are appreciated. Maybe I should mod my 3ds to use the Gamecube controller lol.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Colonel M, the difference between Marth and Lucina is basically consistency. If you like Marth's attacks but can't sweetspot the tip, Lucina will work wonders. If you can consistently sweetspot the tip, Marth is fine.

Also, try Lucario. His Aura scale is muuuuch better than it was in Brawl. Shulk is neat too once you get used to the Monado Powers.

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Just realized that if king dedede's gordo is knocked back towards him, you can catch it and use it again. Probably going to test this to see if the gordo is used faster or if its any stronger after being caught. This is pretty cool though.

I think the only thing dedede lost (besides his infinite grab) was his back air attack since that back kick was so fast with so little lag. Losing that move probably nerfed his air game a bit but I dont seem to miss it that much. His new attack is still pretty good even if its not nearly as spammable.

Salty ass me saying fuck all you Lucario mains. :|

Lucario is easily the most retarded character in this fucking game how the fuck is he able is he able to OHKO anybody at around 40 percent when you deal 60%? Like seriously who the fuck thought "let's give Lucario retarded bonuses for damage that's supposed to happen really early on and make him really hard to kill as well." His patterns are way harder to track to so it's even more ridiculous.

Pic of the day. For the first time ever in the Super Smash Bros. series, you can play with a collection of real-life trophies in the form of amiibo. Simply touch them on this part of the GamePad. This particular screen is dedicated to activating amiibo, but you can also tap your amiibo on the GamePad at the character-selection screen to let that character join the battle.

(Comment)

Once you do, the trophy of your amiibo character transforms into a Figure Player (FP)!! FPs fight and develop on their own.

(Is it just me, or does Marth look really mad?)

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Found some pretty broken equips. My two favorits lets you charge smash attacks faster and take reduced damage in the air, respectively. It's also possible to have these with little or no bad stats if you minmax correctly (I even had all +stats for R.O.B. with the air damage reduction one, albeit really minor boosts). There's no way they'd let these in comp if they do allow the custom specials.

EDIT: There's one for Rosalina that TRIPLES how long respawn invincibility lasts.

I kind of have to wonder why disconnecting gets punished with timer bans so hard. I heard if you DC they just give you a low level CPU to beat, so why is it that they give you these timed bans that stacks? Kind of sucks especially when you're doing it so you can just have an enjoyable playable game and now I wake up smacked with a 20 minute ban when I don't got time for dat.. :\

Eiganjo

So who did buy all the stroopwafels?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Wii U release dates known

US = November 21st
Europe = December 5th (Hooray Sinterklaas)
Japan = December 6th

First batch of amiibo's set to arrive on november 28th
second set on december 19th.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Wii U release dates known

US = November 21st
Europe = December 5th (Hooray Sinterklaas)
Japan = December 6th

First batch of amiibo's set to arrive on november 28th
second set on december 19th.
Can I get some official confirmation on these please? Like, I dunno a press release from Nintendo or something?

I'm very skeptical they would release on the same day as ORAS in America...

EDIT: What the fuck WHY did they do that? It's fucking stupid.

Seems like the dates are up on the website... http://www.smashbros.com/en-uk/ & http://www.smashbros.com/us/

Like what?????? I cannot understand why they have picked ORAS day.

EDIT2:

http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/detail/G3YQClpzahmw97qVXCWrS4gFNc58o2K8

"The adapter will be available at a suggested retail price of $19.99. Nintendo is also launching a standaloneNintendo GameCube controller emblazoned with the iconic Super Smash Bros. insignia at a suggested retail price of $29.99. "

Last edited:
I honestly think I'll just get ORAS on release and wait till I get cash for Christmas to get all this Smash stuff; 3DS Smash is more than enough to hold me over for those extra few weeks. I also find it extremely odd that not only it's released on the same day as ORAS, but also that we get it before Japan.

E: Just remembered that MK8 DLC is also a thing in November so I'm going to have to start getting more work hours if I want all this shit...

Last edited:

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Yes. They think we're made of money because of crybaby "gamers" crying of dry spells.

Also, this means moneybags.
Normally I would be like "Shut up and take my money!" but I only have so much money to spend :s

Already brought hyrule warriors, mk8 + dlcs, ssb4 for 3ds and partially paid for pokemon. Might have to wait on getting the wii u version unfortunately unless I can get an early xmas gift or something.

Debating about a Wii U but all the new 3DS titles aren't a problem for me. I really am not sure what to do since I have shoddy internet in the first place so online smash is going to be hilarious when I play.

Lady Bug

Like the Wind
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

found this video to be educational, and it's cool how it matches up lol (not really about ssb4 but that doesn't matter)

EonX

Battle Soul
Good grief November 21st is going to be so freaking busy for me. ORAS release, Smash Wii U release. On top of that, there's an anime / video game convention I'm going to that entire weekend (should be loads of fun with Smash Wii U out tho!) With that aside, I think the main reason they picked ORAS release day for Smash Wii U is because they've just silently picked that as their holiday release date. Amiibos are coming out on Black Friday (for here in the US at least) which is probably already going to be crazy enough. If I had to guess, the first batch of MK8 DLC is getting released on the 14th of November, thus giving them small bookend events for ORAS / Smash Wii U release. (idk if MK8 DLC release date has been announced yet. I just remember it's in November) It'll be interesting to see how all of this works.

I won't be able to use my Wii-U so I don't need to worry about any of this. n.n

Then again, I wouldn't really want to. I never had troubles with the controls, it actually feels kind of comfortable to me. The circle pad can be troublesome, but I never got how the 3DS controls were extremely uncomfortable. Then again, I do have the XL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)