CAP 19 CAP 19 - Part 9 - Complete Movepool Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that right now It's much, much harder to get such illegalities, but honestly justifying the first route you mentioned isn't really that hard. Furthermore, I already checked the breeding groups water1 and monster, and within those groups there are no potential parent that learns both defog and encore/disable as of right now, meaning the actual illegality would be relatively easy to isolate to CAP. Even if we somehow can't figure out how to include these illegalities, they are relatively unnecessary, anyhow, and could be left out of the set if needed. And, while we don't know if CAP will have a pre-evolution, remember that the competitive side of CAP comes first - if something flavor related gets in the way (like not having a pre-evolution and thus stopping the illegalities) of the competitive aspect, we're doing our jobs incorrectly.
As of X and Y, females can pass egg moves, so you could breed a female with defog and a male with encore, then breed those for a Plasmanta with both.

P.S. if your submission wins, I will be the loser rocking ResTalk Metronome

Last edited:

Ignus

Copying deli meat to hard drive
You're right, I forgot about that. The truth is encore-defog illegalities are actually less important to me then even some sort of taunt-defog illegality (which is sort of impossible because TM move). If I can't have it, It won't matter, and I won't revise my move pool because of it. However, I'm going to leave the reasoning there because I honestly believe discouraging that kind of set is moderately important, as it doesn't follow the concept at all (why would you ever not want to kill a utility counter?). Another route I could go is just removing defog from my movepool altogether. EDIT: I did this. Illegalities have been removed, as well.

Last edited:

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
One thing I'd like to ask: Do we have to indicate what moves are restricted and such?
It's not a must, but it's very helpful as the competitive part of the movepool is one of the most important things in submissions.

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Final Submission

Hello everyone I’m going to jump in quick with a last-second submission because I like making these movepools so why not. I’ve been following along with this project and I like what I see so far; this CAP ended up being pretty straightforward in terms of function (as opposed to its wildly nebulous purpose), so there will be no massive intro or competitive justification here. Basically, this movepool provides all the right STABs, Psychic-type moves and Hidden Power for targeted coverage, and then the move-disrupting Disable/Encore/Taunt trifecta and Thunder Wave/Toxic for 4th moveslots. There were highly focused discussions on Allowed/Disallowed moves, so most of these movepools will perform the exact same way. So, I put a lot more effort into the flavor here, which is by far the most fun part about these things, than I did on competitive concerns.

Moving on, in this movepool my aim was to emphasize Plasmanta’s intelligent traits and its dual “hidden typings” in Psychic and Water (I will not even dwell on the flavor disaster of disallowing Surf). I get the Psychic vibe from the art design’s geometric and symmetrical elements (circles, general symmetry and order, etc.), the Poke’s piercing, red glare, and from its dramatically low Attack stat in stark contrast to its foreboding physical size. As a stingray, its Water-type influences should be obvious. Essentially, I envision Plasmanta’s behavior to be more along the lines of a cranial and highly intelligent manipulator than a brutish and instinctual predator (like Gyarados).

(20 moves, 6 RMs)

0 - Psywave
0 - Pin Missile
0 - Ion Deluge
0 - Tackle
0 - Water Gun
0 - Tail Whip
0 - Thunder Shock
3 - Tail Whip
7 - Thunder Shock
12 - Water Pulse
15 - Eerie Impulse
19 - Disable
25 - Poison Tail
28 - Shock Wave
32 - Toxic
39 - Venoshock
42 - Imprison
46 - Taunt
54 - Cross Poison
57 - Wild Charge
61 - Venom Drench
70 - Zap Cannon

Like others, I went straight to Mantine for my initial Level-Up influences and then tweaked everything (Psywave over Psybeam, Pin Missile over Bullet Seed/Signal Beam, Water Gun/Pulse over Bubble/Beam, similar low-level attack progressions). Some themes here are waves (Psywave, Shock Wave), shocks (Thunder Shock, Shock Wave, Venoshock, Zap Cannon), and mysterious mental acuity (Ion Deluge, Eerie Impulse, Disable, Imprison, Taunt). Its physical traits are represented through Tail Whip/Poison Tail for the Tail stingers (obv), Pin Missile/Cross Poison/Venom Drench for the fin barbs, and Wild Charge for a late-level Electric Tackle. These elements fall secondary, however, to its Special and mental powers that take up the bulk of the list. All Electric moves here come from Plasmanta itself, as in no calling on the skies for Thunderbolts and Thunders due to it being a marine creature. All Poison moves rely on physical poisoning through contact, as in no gas or acid or ink or oil-based moves, which I don’t think fit the biology of this design.

The LU list is sort of custom-tailored for an Electric/Water-type pre-evolution, as I put in Water Gun and Water Pulse early in the list and held off on Poison moves until L25 (or L32 if you can imagine the prevo learning Poison Tail without evolving into a Poison-type). This I think would be highly justified considering in-game precedent and obvious Water-type design elements, including Primary Ability. I’ve also intentionally designed the progression to be frustrating to train in-game, as I imagine the Plasmanta family’s intelligence and manipulative tendencies to be a major roadblock to human-Poke relationships: many attacks are learned at later levels than other Pokemon, the learning pattern stretches out over time (3-4-5-3-4-6-3-4-7…), and the Pokemon never learns any reliable attacks naturally (they are either low-powered, low accuracy, or launched from its low Atk stat). A competitively useable Plasmanta needs to be overcome by machine learning or bred to perform in battle, which I think fits neatly into the personality of the art design.
(Water 1 Group; 5 moves, 3 RMs)

Clear Smog - Gastrodon, Golduck, Kingdra
Encore - Azumarill, Dewgong, Golduck, Politoed, Poliwrath, Quagsire, Walrein
Extrasensory - Greninja
Mind Reader - Greninja, Masquerain, Politoed, Poliwrath
Water Sport - Alomomola, Azumarill, Bibarel, Clawitzer, Dewgong, Empoleon, Feraligatr, Floatzel, Golduck, Greninja, Ludicolo, Manaphy, Mantine, Masquerain, Milotic, Pelipper, Politoed, Poliwrath, Relicanth, Swanna, Walrein

The Egg list is mostly just a continuation of themes from the Level-Up list. Clear Smog is a competitively useful option and I wanted this CAP to have access to it so I put it here in Egg so as to not mess up the flavor of the LU pool. Encore, Extrasensory, and Mind Reader play into the Poke’s manipulative/Psychic tendencies (also Mind Reader —> Zap Cannon you’re welcome), while the Water 1 Egg Group and Water Sport I feel are necessary to fulfill Plasmanta’s Water-type obligations. Like last time, I kept the Egg pool down to just 5 moves as Gen. VI Pokemon don’t go above 7 unless they evolve from Eevee and the average is around 5.
(35 moves, 22 RMs)

TM03 - Psyshock
TM06 - Toxic
TM09 - Venoshock
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM12 - Taunt
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM17 - Protect
TM18 - Rain Dance
TM20 - Safeguard
TM21 - Frustration
TM24 - Thunderbolt
TM25 - Thunder
TM27 - Return
TM29 - Psychic
TM32 - Double Team
TM34 - Sludge Wave
TM36 - Sludge Bomb
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM48 - Round
TM49 - Echoed Voice
TM54 - False Swipe
TM56 - Fling
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM70 - Flash
TM73 - Thunder Wave
TM84 - Poison Jab
TM87 - Swagger
TM88 - Sleep Talk
TM90 - Substitute
TM93 - Wild Charge
TM99 - Dazzling Gleam
TM100 - Confide
HM05 - Waterfall

And here lies the bulk of Plasmanta’s offensive options: Thunder/bolt, Sludge Wave/Bomb, and Hidden Power, along with Thunder Wave and Substitute for generic useful moves. The CAP picks up its third and fourth Psychic-type attacks here in Psyshock and Psychic, and an additional Water-type attack in Waterfall to fill out those themes in this learnset. I also added Dazzling Gleam here because I felt it was good flavor for an electric and/or bioluminescent Special-attacking sea creature. The rest is required stuff or insignificant and obvious flavor additions.
(57 moves, 27 RMs)

Special Attacking RMs (9):

Dazzling Gleam
Extrasensory
Hidden Power
Psychic
Psyshock
Sludge Bomb
Sludge Wave
Thunder
Thunderbolt

Physical Attacking RMs (7):

Cross Poison
Facade
Frustration / Return
Pin Missile
Poison Jab
Waterfall
Wild Charge

Non-Attacking RMs (11):

Clear Smog
Disable
Encore
Protect
Rain Dance
Rest
Sleep Talk
Substitute
Taunt
Thunder Wave
Toxic

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
This is such a late submission, but here we go

WIP

57 Moves
28 RMs

Bold = RM
Italics = Repeated RM
Underline = Repeared NRM

Start Acid
Start Thundershock
6 Charge
10 Confusion
14 Wing Attack
17 Water Gun
21 Shock Wave
25 Venoshock
29 Gust
33 Toxic
36 Air Slash
43 Discharge
49 Clear Smog
55 Thunderbolt
60 Sludge Bomb
64 Zap Cannon

17 Moves
6 RMs

TM06 Toxic (Repeated from Level Up)
TM09 Venoshock (Repeated from Level Up)
TM10 Hidden Power
TM12 Taunt
TM15 Hyper Beam
TM17 Protect
TM18 Rain Dance
TM21 Frustration
TM24 Thunderbolt (Repeated From Level Up)
TM25 Thunder
TM27 Return (Return and Frustration count as 1 RM but 2 Total Moves)
TM29 Psychic
TM32 Double Team
TM34 Sludge Wave
TM36 Sludge Bomb
TM40 Aerial Ace
TM42 Facade
TM44 Rest
TM45 Attract
TM48 Round
TM49 Echoed Voice
TM51 Steel Wing
TM68 Giga Impact
TM70 Flash
TM73 Thunder Wave
TM84 Poison Jab
TM85 Dream Eater
TM87 Swagger
TM88 Sleep Talk
TM90 Substitute
TM91 Flash Cannon
TM93 Wild Charge
TM94 Rock Smash
TM99 Dazzling Gleam
TM100 Confide

33 Moves
19 RMs

Power Gem (Breed with Mismagius)
Defog (Breed with Mantine, Dragonite, Delibird, Pelipper, Masquerian, Empoleon, or Drifblim)
Psybeam (Breed with Octillery, Mantine, Mismagius, and Malamar)
Gunk Shot (Breed with Muk, Octillery, Delibird, Mantine, Pelipper, and Swalot)

4 Moves
3 RM

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Final Submission

Hi guys! For this stage, I collaborated with Ununhexium, and here is our combo movepool.

1. Thunder Shock
1. Poison Sting
1. Leer
4. Poison Sting (Dup)
8. Leer (Dup)
11. Eerie Impulse
15. Water Gun
19. Aerial Ace
22. Detect (RM, Cop)
27. Shock Wave
30. Poison Tail
34. Water Pulse
39. Thunder Wave (RM)
43. Toxic (RM)
48. Helping Hand
52. Defog (RM)
57. Thunderbolt (RM)
61. Sludge Bomb (RM)
66. Zap Cannon
70. Moonblast (RM)

Justification: There is not a whole lot to see here; all we have is a simple progression. As Plasmanta matures, it learns that it is more capable of using special moves than physical ones, which is why there are far more special moves, especially in the later levels. We threw in some flavor moves like Leer (for its kinda unnerving red eyes), Aerial Ace (for the acrobatic nature of a stingray), Water Gun/Pulse (for its aquatic habitat), Detect (for Plasmanta’s ability to sense predators), and Helping Hand (relating to the concept in the sense that we are “helping” Mega Gyarados sweep), and Zap Cannon (thanks to Magistrum’s awesome supporting art). Defog is here to aid Mega Gyara by keeping hazards off the field. Though we do realize it’s not Perfect Mate here at work, the key is that we want the foe to suffer a Mega Gyara sweep at the hands of Plasmanta. It’s tougher for Mega Gyara to sweep when he’s at 75% health.

While Moonblast may cause you to raise an eyebrow, Fairy coverage is necessary to deal with Lati@s and Tyranitar a little better. Signal Beam and Dazzling Gleam are somewhat weak, and don’t do much more than a Sludge Wave vs. Lati@s or Thunderbolt vs. Tyranitar. While we are aware that the presence of Moonblast may turn off some voters, it has legitimate competitive use if we want to discourage the aforementioned two Pokémon from switching in on us. More importantly, however, it hits Kyurem-B harder than a Sludge Wave without forcing us to run a weaker coverage move like Flash Cannon. Also, we can justify Moonblast flavor-wise, as rays are nocturnal creatures. Plasmanta would thus be active at night, absorbing moon energy into its tesla coils.

Total: 20 Level-up moves (2 duplicates, so 18 original moves), 7 RMs

TM06 Toxic (RM, Req, Dup)
TM09 Venoshock
TM10 Hidden Power (RM, Req)
TM12 Taunt (RM)
TM15 Hyper Beam (Req)
TM17 Protect (RM, Req, Cop)
TM18 Rain Dance (RM)
TM20 Safeguard
TM21 Frustration (RM, Req, Cop)
TM24 Thunderbolt (RM, Req, Dup)
TM25 Thunder (RM)
TM27 Return (RM, Req, Cop)
TM29 Psychic (RM)
TM32 Double Team (Req)
TM34 Sludge Wave (RM)
TM36 Sludge Bomb (RM, Dup)
TM40 Aerial Ace (Dup)
TM41 Torment
TM42 Facade (RM, Req)
TM44 Rest (RM, Req)
TM45 Attract (Req)
TM48 Round (Req)
TM51 Steel Wing
TM60 Quash
TM63 Embargo
TM68 Giga Impact (Req)
TM70 Flash
TM73 Thunder Wave (RM, Dup)
TM87 Swagger (RM, Req)
TM88 Sleep Talk (RM, Req)
TM90 Substitute (RM, Req)
TM91 Flash Cannon (RM)
TM93 Wild Charge (RM)
TM99 Dazzling Gleam (RM)
TM100 Confide (Req)
HM03 Waterfall (RM)

36 TM/HM moves (5 duplicates, so 31 original moves)

21 RMs (4 duplicates, and Frustration/Return and Protect/Detect double, so 15 original RMs)

Justification: The key moves here, besides our STABs, are Taunt and Psychic. Psychic is our main coverage move, and it will be necessary to defeat Amoonguss and Mega Venusaur. This gives Mega Gyarados an extra moveslot to use something other than the weak Ice Fang. With Psychic and Moonblast, we obtain some solid coverage, though we will usually only have room for one. As for Taunt, it prevents mons from setting up on Plasmanta, as an already set-up Tyranitar or Dragonite could prove to be detrimental to Mega Gyara’s sweep. Flavor moves include the Dark-type Torment, Quash and Embargo, relating to Plasmanta’s nocturnal nature. We also have Steel Wing, as rays have wings. Rain Dance, while primarily a flavor move, has the added effect of making Thunder more viable and boosting Mega Gyara’s Waterfall. And our own Waterfall, but there’s no way we’d use it. Safeguard is like Helping Hand- providing “assistance” to Mega Gyara, though its use is gimmicky at best. Flash, Flash Cannon and Dazzling Gleam are flavor moves for the luminescence of our electric ray.

Groups: Water 2, Amorphous

Aqua Tail (RM)
(Goldeen, Seaking, Gyarados, Lanturn, Qwilfish, Barboach, Whiscash, Finneon, Lumineon, Basculin, Eelektrik, Eelektross, Stunfisk)

Bounce (RM)
(Goldeen, Seaking, Magikarp, Gyarados, Chinchou, Lanturn, Remoraid, Octillery, Carvanha, Sharpedo, Wailmer, Wailord, Barboach, Whiscash, Relicanth, Luvdisc, Finneon, Lumineon, Basculin, Alomomola, Eelektrik, Eelektross, Stunfisk)

Clear Smog (RM)
(Gastly, Haunter, Gengar, Koffing, Weezing, Castform, Shellos, Gastrodon, Drifloon, Drifblim, Litwick, Lampent, Chandelure)

Discharge (RM)
(Chinchou, Lanturn, Eelektrik, Eelektross, Stunfisk)

Encore (RM)
(Wobbuffet, Ralts, Kirlia, Gardevoir, Gulpin, Gallade)

Haze
(Grimer, Muk, Gastly, Haunter, Gengar, Koffing, Weezing, Goldeen, Seaking, Crobat, Qwilfish, Remoraid, Octillery, Duskull, Dusclops, Drifloon, Drifblim, Dusknoir, Yamask, Cofagrigus, Litwick, Lampent, Chandelure)

Ion Deluge
(Chinchou, Lanturn, Eelektross)

Power Gem (RM)
(Misdreavus, Mismagius)

Scary Face
(Grimer, Muk, Gastly, Haunter, Gengar, Carvanha, Sharpedo, Basculin, Pumpkaboo, Gourgeist)

9 Egg Moves, 6 RMs

Justification: We chose Water 2 as an Egg group because most of the water 2 mons are vertebrates, and Plasmanta happens to be one as well. We also chose Amorphous because most mons in Amorphous are both levitating and soft-bodied. Aqua Tail and Bounce make for great flavor moves, relating to the floating, aquatic nature of Plasmanta. Haze and Clear Smog allow us to stop setups if they have already happened; Clear Smog is usually the better choice because it deals damage, but Haze isn’t blocked by Steel-types like Scizor, so they both have their advantages. Encore can force opponents into undesirable situations; if we lock them into a move that Gyarados can tank, it allows Gyara to switch in without worry. It also helps against setup sweepers that do not boost Speed. Discharge, while mostly a flavor move, is a good option if we want to fish for paralysis. A paralyzed foe is much easier for Mega Gyara to set up on. Power Gem is useful for hitting Thundurus, as well as Kyurem-B should we not be running Moonblast. Ion Deluge makes for good flavor because much of Plasmanta’s electrical capabilities come from electromagnetism, which requires ions. Scary Face is also flavorful because of the false eyes on Plasmanta’s back, which it could use to frighten away enemies.

Total Movepool
58 Total Moves
30 Absolute RMs, 28 RMs if you double Return/Frustration and Detect/Protect

Key:
(RM) = Restricted Move
(Req) = Required Move
(Dub) = Duplicated Move
(Cop) = Copied Move; this move plus another move together count as only 1 RM

Notable attacking moves: Thunderbolt, Thunder, Discharge, Psychic, Moonblast, Power Gem, Flash Cannon (sort of), Dazzling Gleam (sort of)
Notable non-attacking moves: Thunder Wave, Toxic, Defog, Taunt, Clear Smog, Encore, Haze

Last edited:
Final Submission

Bold = RM
Italic = Repeated
Underlined = Move copy/Outclassed RM

Start - Signal Beam
Start - Pin Missile
Start - Confusion
Start - Water Gun
Start - Psybeam
4 - Poison Gas
7 - Thundershock
12 - Haze
13 - Poison Sting
18 - Clear Smog
21 - Poison Jab
23 - Discharge
27 - Thunderbolt
31 - Toxic
35 - Water Pulse
39 - Sludge Wave
43 - Psychic
46 - Thunder
48 - Signal Beam
51 - Gunk Shot

The major Pokemon I considered from a flavour point of view for this movepool are Mantine and Malamar. Mantine is an obvious choice, given the ray similarities. Malamar is, perhaps, not quite so obvious. Looking at the list of Pokemon introduced in Gen VI, Malamar stood out because of it's similarity as a dual-typed, non-Water aquatic Pokemon.

From a structural point of view, it is convenient that Mantine and Malamar learn their moves at very similar levels; each level Mantine learns a move is within one level either side of a move learnt by Malamar. They both learn 20 moves by level up in total, although Mantine has 2 more Level 1 moves than Malamar. The biggest obstacle to using these two as models for my level up movepool was the low level at which they learn their final move (49 for Mantine, 48 for Malamar). This isn't as surprising when noting that their BSTs are both ~100 less than Plasmanta, but could have presented an obstacle for the flavour of a Pokemon with a BST as high as Plasmanta, particularly when comparing with its nearest BST counterpart with a standard movepool, Archeops (finishes at 61). However, excluding legendaries, Mega Evolutions, stone evolutions and Volcarona (because it's an outlier relative to most movepools), the next closest counterpart to Plasmanta is Gyarados, whose movepool has a reasonably comparable structure to Mantine and Malamar, and continues the aquatic theme as a bonus. Gyarados caps out at level 47, with a BST only 25 below Plasmanta. I decided to use Malamar over Mantine for the base structure due to the improved generational proximity, while also knowing that matching Malamar's movepool gives a near match to Mantine anyway. Given that Plasmanta lacks a signature move, I omitted the level 15 move completely and moved it to level 51 to give the movepool a slightly higher ceiling.

Having based the movepool on Malamar, I used comparable attacks, just with shifted types - Psychic became Poison, Dark became Electric, Fighting coverage became Bug, Normal coverage became Psychic and Flying coverage became Water (the only exception was the Normal type Swagger being replaced by Haze instead of a Psychic type support move). Poison type Pokemon often have Bug moves, and Water was sort of a given, hence those two substitutions, while Psychic was an important coverage type and fits the design well. Malamar's movepool is rather offensively inclined, which fits the direction we've taken Plasmanta nicely, and means the level up movepool actually does a bit of work competitively.

As an aside for future stages, if we end up giving Plasmanta a prevo, I'd love to take inspiration from Malamar there as well and have a non-conventional means of evolution. Given the concept, it would be too perfect to not have the evolution method involve being KO'd.

TM03 - Psyshock
TM06 - Toxic
TM09 - Venoshock
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM11 - Sunny Day
TM12 - Taunt
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM17 - Protect
TM18 - Rain Dance
TM20 - Safeguard
TM21 - Frustration
TM24 - Thunderbolt
TM25 - Thunder
TM27 - Return
TM29 - Psychic
TM32 - Double Team
TM34 - Sludge Wave
TM36 - Sludge Bomb
TM40 - Aerial Ace
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM46 - Thief
TM45 - Attract
TM48 - Round
TM60 - Quash
TM63 - Embargo
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM70 - Flash
TM73 - Thunder Wave
TM84 - Poison Jab
TM87 - Swagger
TM88 - Sleep Talk
TM90 - Substitute
TM93 - Wild Charge
TM100 - Confide
HM01 - Cut

Most of these are fairly self explanatory. Anything that was in the level up pool that is also a TM gets repeated here. All the compulsory TMs are in as well. Competitively, Taunt and Safeguard are the most notable inclusions here, as well as the addition of Sludge Bomb as an alternative STAB. Flash is in as obligatory Electric type flavour, the weather moves are in because they'll have little relevance competitively and are on most Electric types, Aerial Ace is in because of move-move correlation with Air Slash. I've also added in a few Dark type flavour moves since they fit the slightly mysterious aspect of the design. This list is rather short relative to most Pokemon but, due to flavour and Allowed move restrictions, I think it's the best fitting list available.

Egg Group: Water 1/Water 2 (same as Malamar)
- Camouflage (e.g. Malamar)
- Aqua Tail (e.g. Gyarados)
- Air Slash (e.g. Mantine)
- Spark (e.g. Lanturn)
- Poison Tail (e.g. Dragalge)

Competitively, the most notable move is Air Slash. Otherwise, it's mostly flavour here - Camouflage to parallel Malamar, a couple of tail moves to fit the aquatic, poisonous stingray tail design, and Spark because of Electric flavour.

STAB:
- Thunderbolt
- Discharge
- Thunder
- Spark*
- Wild Charge*
- Sludge Bomb
- Sludge Wave
- Poison Jab*
- Gunk Shot*
- Clear Smog

Coverage:
- Hidden Power
- Psychic
- Psyshock
- Signal Beam
- Air Slash
- Aqua Tail*
- Return*
- Frustration*
- Facade*

Non-Attacking:
- Taunt
- Haze
- Thunder Wave
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Protect
- Rain Dance
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Total: 27 (1 move copy)

I've gone fairly heavy handed with the STAB options - I see no reason not to include them, and they should be the bread and butter of the sets people are running anyway. Coverage I've tried to restrict so that nothing on our threat list is interfered with. Psychic type coverage gives us an option for Venasuar and Amoonguss, with Air Slash offering more niche coverage for handling other Grass types. Signal Beam offers useful coverage against the Latis, without offering the amazing neutral coverage of Dark, Ghost, Fairy or Dragon. I'll add calcs later if I get time, but earlier discussions have already covered the merits of these moves in depth anyway. This movepool doesn't greatly distinguish itself from others on the attacking side.

As for non-attacking moves, I really don't want players using Plasmanta being encouraged to run a support set, so the options are fairly targeted. Taunt and Haze are the most important two options - Taunt stops Pokemon switching in and setting up if they're slower than Plasmanta (as well as controlling status Pokemon, although the non-RM Safeguard is another option there), while Haze prevents faster switch-ins from accumulating boosts. I believe that having Haze removes the need for Encore. Encore could be used to trap an opposing Pokemon into a setup move - if this is done to stop a Pokemon setting up on Plasmanta, it could have used Haze instead. Once the Pokemon is trapped, Plasmanta is encouraged to switch out and let something else set up - this is counter concept. On the other hand, it could be used to trap a Pokemon into an attacking move. If this move threatens Plasmanta, it either doesn't get a chance to Encore if outsped, or it can force the opponent to reuse a move to KO it, denying the opponent the choice of whether to KO or not. Encore creates too many counter concept situations, and I'm strongly against its inclusion on the movepool. Anything pro-concept that Encore can do, Haze does as well. I've also omitted Defog, as I believe this is a distraction from the role Plasmanta should be taking. It is these two omissions that most distinguish my movepool competitively, and will probably be the major reason why people would/wouldn't vote for it.

(Moves marked with an asterisk are present for flavour or because they're required, but are unlikely to see significant competitive use)

- Discharge
- Spark
- Thunder
- Thunderbolt
- Thundershock
- Thunder Wave
- Wild Charge

- Clear Smog
- Gunk Shot
- Poison Gas
- Poison Jab
- Poison Sting
- Poison Tail
- Sludge Bomb
- Sludge Wave
- Toxic
- Venoshock

- Confusion
- Psychic
- Psybeam
- Psyshock

- Aerial Ace
- Air Slash

- Pin Missile
- Signal Beam

- Aqua Tail
- Rain Dance

- Water Gun
- Water Pulse

- Embargo
- Quash
- Thief

- Attract
- Camouflage
- Confide
- Cut
- Double Team
- Facade
- Flash
- Frustration
- Giga Impact
- Hidden Power
- Protect
- Return
- Rest
- Round
- Safeguard
- Sleep Talk
- Substitute
- Swagger
- Taunt

- Haze
- Sunny Day

Total Moves: 53
Total Restricted Moves: 27 (1 move copy)

Also, Korski (and anyone else who has used Bubblebeam that I've missed), Bubblebeam is Water coverage greater than 60 BP, and thus illegal.

Last edited:

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
^Goodness gracious thank you. Crazy how those seemingly innocuous things creep up on you. So I just did a quick edit and changed the Bubble/Beam combo in my Level-Up to Water Gun and Water Pulse, which is just as good I suppose, and then changed Water Pulse to Water Sport in Egg so that I could keep a Water move in there. I appreciate the head's up, Tsaeb XIII, I would not have caught that on my own!

Final Submission

RMs: 24
Total Moves: 53

Bold = RM
Underlined = Repeat

Start: Spark
Start: Poison Gas
5: Tackle
8: Smog
13: Shock Wave
18: Venom Drench
22: Bounce
24: Rage
30: Hex
33: Thunder Wave
37: Poison Tail
40: Spite
45: Air Slash
48: Slam
50: Haze
55: Discharge
57: Acid
60: Sludge

03: Psyshock
06: Toxic

09: Venoshock
10: Hidden Power
11: Sunny Day
12: Taunt
15: Hyper Beam
17: Protect
18: Rain Dance
20: Safeguard
21: Frustration
24: Thunderbolt
25: Thunder

27: Return
32: Double Team
34: Sludge Wave
36: Sludge Bomb
42: Facade
44: Rest

45: Attract
48: Round
60: Quash
68: Giga Impact
70: Flash
73: Thunder Wave
78: Bulldoze
87: Swagger
88: Sleep Talk
90: Substitute
96: Nature Power
99: Dazzling Gleam

100: Confide

Defog (Drifblim, Lumineon)
Clear Smog (Weezing, Castform, Wailord, Gastrodon)
Gunk Shot (Swallot, Octillery, Muk)
Fell Stinger (Qwilphish)

A fairly conservative movepool; the only real coverage is Air Slash, Psyshock and Dazzling Gleam. There's a bit more to work with on the non-attacking side with Defog, Clear Smog, Taunt and status moves.

Last edited:
P3DS Most of the explanation for your movepool is pretty solid, what i don't get is the inclusion of Wring Out and Power Whip, especially Power Whip. Power Whip has no apparent connection with Plasmanta, so given that your only reasoning for including it was ''i added some themes from Serperior'', i would like to see a more substantiated reasoning. Not that this is anything big, just flavor nitpicking.
Edited the flavor a bit, and finalized moves a little. My counting had an error somewhere (seriously, mysterious extra moves everywhere >.>)

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
And here is the slate:

P3DS
Elite Lord Sigma
NumberCruncher
HeaLnDeaL
capefeather
Korski
Tsaeb XIII
Dragonblaze052

I didn't include wh0syo0urpapa submission because it was riding the limits in both ends and had too many competitive RMs. If it had less good RMs i could have slated it, but as is, it has too much goodies in comparison to other subs.

Then, i wanted to include an equal amount of submissions with and without Defog, because it was a controversial move that many people don't want. This means that i included all 4 final submissions that didn't have Defog.

Elite Lord Sigma's and Lunarir's submissions were identical in terms of competitive RMs and both had decent flavor reasoning, so in the end i went with Lord Sigma's submission because he made his first.

Finally, i didn't include Ignus's submission due to the lack of Dazzling Gleam, a fairly important coverage move that the others submission had.

And that's how the slate was made. Thanks to all the submitters and i am sorry to whoever i didn't include. Really guys, most submissions were great, but in the end i had to make a slate of 8 in order to have equal choices with and without Defog. Good luck to all in the voting stage and thank you to everyone that participated during the movepool stages. It was a fun experience to be the Movepool leader!

Last edited:

Stratos

Banned deucer.
I disagree with alex's logic in not slating Ignus's movepool because it lacked Dazzling Gleam. The whole point of the slate is to give the most possible different options, and that's a notable difference worth preserving. So i'll be +1ing Ignus onto this slate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)