Samurott QC [2/3] GP [0/2] *write up not done

QC EonX / atomicllamas /
GP /

Overview
########

Samurott has a great niche in the metagame because of its abilities to be a mixed attacker. Samurott has decent set up moves such as Swords Dance, and it has decent bulk. Its coverage attacks aren't the best but they aren't decent as well. However, Samurott has strong priority moves such as Aqua Jet and an unpredictable moveset. Samurott also faces competition as an All-Out attacker from Clawitzer, while having its perks over Feraligatr when running a Swords Dance set.

All-Out Attacker
########
name: All-Out Attacker
move 1: Hydro Pump
move 2: Ice Beam
move 3: Grass Knot
move 4: Megahorn / Knock Off / Aqua Jet
ability: Torrent
item: Life Orb
evs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Rash

Moves
========

Samurott has a great STAB move in Hydro Pump which can deal a lot of damage. Samurott has great coverage moves such as Ice Beam and Grass Knot that deal with Flying- and Water-Type Pokemon, respectively. Megahorn can further Samurott's coverage while allowing Samurott to deal a fair bit of damage to the likes of Mega Abomasnow, Assault Vest Slowking, and Reuniclus. Knock Off, another coverage move, has a good secondary effect which helps fighting against walls. Lastly, Aqua Jet is a good STAB priority move that can come in handy when dealing with revenge Knock Outs.

Set Details
========

The Life Orb does the extra damage Samurott needs to Knock Out certain Pokemon. Samurott's EV spread focuses on Speed, and Special Attack. We want Samurott to be a quick and power all-out attacker. Investing EVs in Attack isn't necessary as only one of the four moves Samurott carries is physical.

Usage Tips
========

Samurott is a frail Pokemon, and it can't take too many hits. Note how much damage Life Orb does, instead of spamming attacks. Also, beware of faster threats such as Virizion who can easily OHKO Samurott. Finally switch out against walls such as Alomomola when Samurott does little to no damage.

Team Options
========

Pokemon who can take care of walls are greatly appreciated. Virizion is gets special mentions as it can easily set up and Knock Out walls such as Alomomola. Virizion also checks faster Electric- and Grass-Types that can Knock Out Samurott. Since Samurott doesn't have any set up moves on this set and the damage Samurott does isn't always enough to guarantee a Knock Out, hazard setters are very appreciated.
  • A spinner/defogger is essential with a Life Orb Samurott to prevent Samurott taking more damage than it already is with Life Orb.
  • Checks against faster threats such as Jolteon are essential, or else Samurott will be OHKOed.

Swords Dance
########
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Waterfall
move 2: Aqua Jet
move 3: Megahorn / Knock Off
move 4: Swords Dance
ability: Torrent
item: Lum Berry / Mystic Water
evs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========
  • SD is the main move in the set. Samurott is fully offensive and needs SD to boost its Attack. SD can also allow Samurott to break walls.
  • Waterfall is Samurott's main STAB move. The plus side to it is that there is a little chance to flinch. Always cool :]
  • Aqua Jet is Samurott's priority STAB move. Its pretty useful when you are at +2 with SD to do BIG damage.
  • Megahorn is for coverage reasons. It can attack Pokemon that counter Samurott such as Amoonguss, and Cresselia.
  • Knock Off is a good move for Samurott to carry. It can knock off the opposing Pokemon's item which could be vital. Also at +2 it can do a lot of damage to Doublade.

Set Details
========
  • The 252 attack EVs are for Samurott to be able to do the maximum damage it can do (awks sentence o.o)
  • The Speed investments is for Samurott to be able to outspeed Gligar, and the rest is dumped into HP.
  • Lum Berry is for Samurott to be able to heal from devastating statuses such as Burn.
  • Mystic Water can be used and can boost Samurott's Water Type attacks quite a bit.

Usage Tips
========
  • Don't let Samurott get hit by statuses! It completely ruins Samurott, even though you have a Lum Berry you have ONLY ONE!
  • Set up SD when you have free turns. Samurott becomes SOO powerful when boosted enough.
Team Options
========
  • Pokemon that can give Samurott free turns such as Whimsicott with Encore is greatly appreciated.
  • Pokemon that can take Will-O-Wisps such as Emboar are great.
  • Another option can be checks to quick threats (Jolteon). Pokemon who fulfil that role include Rhyperior.
  • Wallbreakers such as Exploud, Choice Specs Delphox, Hitmonlee, and Moltres are great teammates as Samurott cannot touch some of the walls in RU such as Alomomola.

Other Options
########
  • Encore can make free turns for Samurott or other Pokemon to set up.
  • Taunt can be used to prevent your opponent from setting up hazards.
  • Superpower can do good damage to Registeel.
  • Toxic can wreck Alomomola
  • Scald on a defensive set, but Slowking is a much better option.

Checks & Counters
########
  • Electric-Types: Electric-Types such as Jolteon can easily 2HKO Samurott. Many Electric-Types can't switch in on Samurott though due to Samurott's powerful attacks. Special mentions to Heliolisk who can be immune to Aqua Jet with its ability Dry Skin.
  • Faster threats: Faster threats such as Virizion can easily OHKO Samurott, Virizion can tank a Ice Beam, and then Knock Samurott out with a Leaf Blade.
  • Will-O-Wisp/Scald: Anything that can Burn Samurott is crucial to take Samurott down. Once inflicted with a Burn, Samurott has little to no offensive abilities.
  • Walls: Walls such as Alomomola, and Registeel can eat up Samurott's moves are easy checks against Samurott.

Last edited:

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ok, let's have fun with this:

[Overview]

- Note that it faces competition from Clawitzer as an all-out attacker and from Feraligatr as a SD user (but certainly has advantages over Gatr)

[All-Out Attacker]
- Ok, I really don't like Taunt on this set at all. You're already boning most Defoggers, status users, and hazard setters with Samurott's coverage. I feel the slash order should be Megahorn / Knock Off. Aqua Jet in Moves and maybe Taunt too. Simply put, having a specially based attacker that can bone AV Slowking is really damn good and that's what both Megahorn and Knock Off do. If you catch Slowking with any of the other moves after Rocks, Megahorn usually KOes (or comes very, very close to it) while Knock Off provides more general utility while still hitting Slowking for 61% on average.
- With the slash change in move 4, make the only nature Rash and put the 4 extra EVs in Attack
- Really make special mention of Virizion in the team options. It sets up on Mola (one of few defensive mons Samurott can't beat) and checks the faster Electric- and Grass-types that can revenge kill Samurott
- Late-game sweepers to take advantage of the holes Samurott punches. Jolteon, Agility Moltres, CM Delphox, and Scarf Rotom-C are examples

[Swords Dance]

- I have no idea why you're running SpD EVs on SD Samurott. I'd make the EV spread this: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe. Let's you outspeed Gligar and smash it with Waterfall before it does anything while retaining decent bulk
- I really wouldn't consider Virizion a wallbreaker. Stuff like Exploud, CM / Specs Delphox, Hitmonlee, and Moltres are good ones though

[Other Options]

- Superpower can smack Registeel around
- Dragon Tail for phazing maybe?
- Toxic to screw Alomomola
- Scald on a defensive set, but there's Slowking for that

[Checks and Counters]

- Virizion handles Samurott quite nicely. It can tank an Ice Beam, resists Aqua Jet from the SD set and can hit back hard with Leaf Blade or Giga Drain
- Electric-types are all hit fairly hard by Hydro Pump (bar Rotom-C which is boned by Ice Beam / Megahorn) but they outspeed Samurott, letting them RK it. Special mention to Heliolisk who's immune to Aqua Jet from the SD set.
- Alomomola and Registeel are really the only two common walls that can eat up Samurott's attacks. Registeel lacks reliable recovery though and can be smacked by the odd Superpower from the Attacker set.

Implement these changes and I'll go over this a 2nd time to make sure everything checks out.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
- Move the Aqua Jet mention in Moves to behind Megahorn and Knock Off to be consistent with the new slash order on the All-Out Attacker set
- Change Lightning types to Electric-types in Checks and Counters.

Do this and consider the otter:
QC Approved 1/3

[All out attacker]
I'd honestly just remove aqua jet
Samurott is a wallbreaker anyway and it is piss weak even against delphox

And...

c&c said:
And Samurott has no way to really damage these Electric-Types.
I'd actually mention that they can't switch in on samurott lol

Lol some parts really need to be reworded when you write up :)

^ calced some stuff and ur right... Samurott is more beast than i thought ---- anyways, I like to put priority in an all out attacker because sometimes it may not do 100% damage all the time sometimes it may leave like 5% or something which is an easy KO with aqua jet. Plus samurott is kinda slow so more the reason to include it.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I feel like Megahorn and Knock Off's uses can be expanded upon on the All-Out Attacker set. Amoonguss is not a good target for Megahorn when it isn't weak to it and you have Ice Beam lol. Mention what Megahorn hits that its other moves cannot, such as Mega Abomasnow, AV Slowking, Reuniclus, and bulky Meloetta. Knock Off hits Jellicent and makes things like AV Slowking, SpD Golbat, and Cresselia much easier to break: softening up Slowking is an absolute godsend for attackers such as Moltres and other Pokes that struggle with bulky Waters, as well as other walls Samurott can cripple (Mention on Team Options).

For the Swords Dance set, mention that Knock Off hits Jellicent and Doublade, replace Amoonguss with Mega Abomasnow as a Megahorn target, and mention that Knock Off should be used with more caution with this set. This is because Knocking Off targets too early can make +2 itemless Knock Off much more ineffective at beating Water-type resists such as Druddigon, as it loses its KOing power.

Punchshroom

Jellicent is an irrelevant Pokemon, so I'd prefer if it wasn't given mentions in analyses as if it was actually important.
If that is the case, then I propose outright removing Knock Off from the Swords Dance set, since Knock Off doesn't actually help Samurott beat any Water resists that Megahorn doesn't, and can fail to break through Water resists at all. The only noteworthy target is Doublade, but Doublade cannot properly respond to +2 Mystic Water Samurott anyway.

tehy

Banned deucer.
Jellicent is an irrelevant Pokemon, so I'd prefer if it wasn't given mentions in analyses as if it was actually important.
| 51 | Jellicent | 2.92298% | 14427 | 6.536% | 11762 | 6.548% |

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/jellicent-qc-2-3.3510198/

252+ Atk Life Orb Samurott Megahorn vs. 248 HP / 212+ Def Jellicent: 73-86 (18.1 - 21.3%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery
(73, 74, 74, 75, 77, 77, 78, 79, 79, 81, 82, 82, 83, 84, 84, 86)

Edit: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/ru-viability-ranking-v2.3516783/ this too

Also, what Punchshroom said.

Oh yeah, on the special set, you should talk about Megahorn's benefits over Knock Off, specifically Mega Abomasnow and this:
0 Atk Life Orb Samurott Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Reuniclus: 195-231 (45.9 - 54.4%) -- 7.4% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
(195, 198, 200, 203, 205, 208, 208, 211, 213, 216, 218, 221, 224, 226, 229, 231)

Otherwise Knock Off is doing sufficient damage while also never missing and taking away items, which is really damn nice to have.

tehy

Banned deucer.
In case you weren't aware, usage does not equate to viability, see: Hitmonchan and Ambipom. Jellicent isn't a relevant Pokemon, no good player ever uses it seriously and it's quite frankly outclassed. As I said before, it shouldn't get a mention because we don't want to encourage the use of sub-par Pokemon, regardless of whether or not they counter the threat in question (hint: a very niche Pokemon in question too). End of discussion.
In case you weren't aware, getting an analysis and a C viability rank do equate to viability, see: Rotom and Pyroar. Jellicent is a relevant Pokemon, you can't prove no good player ever uses it seriously and it's actually not outclassed if it uses Taunt. (Not just parroting Molk's opinion, Taunt turns it into a fair threat versus stall and more defensive balance teams, which is why I've always liked it). As I said before, it should get a mention because we should encourage the use of on-par Pokemon, especially if they counter the threat in question (even if it's niche too). End of discussion

Ladies and gentlemen, the typical Spirit argument. Ignore what's actually been written, zero in on ONE point, then take it down while ignoring the larger argument it supported.

Anyhow I don't want to turn this into some BS once again. If you think Jellicent is so bad it's not worth mentioning, go get it QC rejected, go take it down from the viability rankings, i really don't care either way. Until that happens though, you're wrong.

Last edited:
In the Overview, you mention that it "outclasses Feraligatr when running Swords Dance". It has its perks over Gatr, doesn't totally outclass it. It also doesn't really seem to fit the sentence it's in as you are describing its competition, idk it doesn't flow all that well imo

Punchshroom

Spirit
If that is the case, then I propose outright removing Knock Off from the Swords Dance set, since Knock Off doesn't actually help Samurott beat any Water resists that Megahorn doesn't, and can fail to break through Water resists at all. The only noteworthy target is Doublade, but Doublade cannot properly respond to +2 Mystic Water Samurott anyway.
I'd like to know your opinion on this.

Samurott also faces competition as an All-Out attacker from Clawitzer, while outclassing Feraligatr when running a Swords Dance set.
Judging from the way this sentence is phrased, it would seem ForgottenOnes is trying to imply Gatr outclasses Rott. I don't know if this is the case, but I would just say 'faces competition from' like what you did with Clawitzer, since Samurott's Megahorn coverage offers very good neutral coverage in RU. You could say that its effectiveness at both of these sets makes it rather unpredictable too.

Reactions: g

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
ForgottenOnes just reassign feraligatr. Too much shit to do ;;;;;; srry molk

assuming he meant rott, locking this!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)