ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh god that is a load of wishful thinking...Do you really think that our japanese marketing overlords would give us a jirachi(A 600BST Event) with a megastone in the demo?

Its prolly going to be a common mon megastone that cant be obtained other way. God bless the cloners tough.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Oh god that is a load of wishful thinking...Do you really think that our japanese marketing overlords would give us a jirachi(A 600BST Event) with a megastone in the demo?

Its prolly going to be a common mon megastone that cant be obtained other way. God bless the cloners tough.
Maybe if the demo was going to be released during Tanabata (sometime during July and August). GameFreak just LOVES giving away Jirachi during Tanabata.

I wouldn't say it's so much as wishful thinking as it is a possibility with a significant chance of being correct. This demo isn't a traditional demo, what with it aminly being available to those who pre-order the game instead of those looking to try before they buy. The distribution method is equal to many events requiring a code from various places so we can equate this to an event/sneak peek more than a demo. And GF's done crazy things before, I wouldn't put it pass them, especially if the demo will be on the eshop later.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Well this issue of CoroCoro is probably going to be all about the demo (being it'll have the code for Japanese players) so we'll probably find at least a bit more about how the demo works and maybe an idea about the items and Mega Pokemon we'll be getting. We'll probably get CoroCoro leaks on Friday or Saturday.

The Demo is due for release on the 15th (at least for most places) so I'm also expecting the U.S. date which oddly has been kept secret. And being the U.K. has announced their code redeemable on the 15th there's no reason the the U.S. one to also not be.

As a quick reminder, for the US and Europe the Shiny Mega Gengar and Diancie Events are also coming up. You can find out the dates here though from what it looks like if you're in the UK and have a GAME store near you you'll be getting both the Shiny Mega Gengar and Demo on the same day! And if the GameStop is also giving out the demo code in the US, those of us in the US might want to wait till the 15th so we too can get both of them in one trip.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I just hope Latamel or whoever's the Nintendo distributor for LA brings the Diancie event. Fuck Gamestop.

But Soul Dew is banned from everything but Smogon Ubers and might have been deemed overpowered, so Gen V might have been its final appearance.
Soul Dew exists in the game code, at least. And I doubt they even care about it being overpowered, considering they banned it even from Battle Tower in RS.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
Soul Dew exists in the game code, at least. And I doubt they even care about it being overpowered, considering they banned it even from Battle Tower in RS.
Well, it wasn't technically "banned" from the battle tower, just rendered completely useless.

But regardless, I'm sure Soul Dew will be present in the game (and probably has something to do with their megas, knowing GameFreak..)

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
But regardless, I'm sure Soul Dew will be present in the game (and probably has something to do with their megas, knowing GameFreak..)
I think it's unlikely an item like Soul Dew would be modified for this because that would basically give it a whole new purpose, for one, or make it entirely overpowered. By the latter I mean that Soul Dew boosts their offenses, so if it also Mega Evolved them, there would be an almost unreasonable power curve as a result. I'm more inclined to believe that there will be an entirely separate item.

Xen

Wi-Fi Leader
I think it's unlikely an item like Soul Dew would be modified for this because that would basically give it a whole new purpose, for one, or make it entirely overpowered. By the latter I mean that Soul Dew boosts their offenses, so if it also Mega Evolved them, there would be an almost unreasonable power curve as a result. I'm more inclined to believe that there will be an entirely separate item.
It doesn't necessarily have to retain the boosts after mega evolution; it could run a dual role with the SpA/SpD boost in basic form, or mega evolve instead for reduced power but higher speed.

Nvm, forgot the base speed remains the same upon mega evolving. There goes that theory..

It's also worth noting that the Soul Dew, while programmed into the games, may not actually be available - this has been the case for many items before, such as Gen 4's Azure Flute, Enigma Stone, Red Chain, Soot Bag etc., Gen 5's Apricorn Balls, and other such items. It may just be leftover data from previous builds.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
It's also worth noting that the Soul Dew, while programmed into the games, may not actually be available - this has been the case for many items before, such as Gen 4's Azure Flute, Enigma Stone, Red Chain, Soot Bag etc., Gen 5's Apricorn Balls, and other such items. It may just be leftover data from previous builds.
Or it's just there just in case they do decide to give us a way to get the Soul Dew in Gen VI we can transfer it over to XY to use there. If ORAS does things similar to the original Gen III games, we'll have a special event where we'll be able to catch the Eon Duo we couldn't catch normally and it'll be holding the Soul Dew.

Also I'm wondering whether it was suppose to be in XY. Zygarde's room in Terminus Cave has four "branches" leading off from the center where Zygarde is:

The branches lead to a small area with a patch of grass. In 3 of those areas you can find the Orbs for Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina. However in the 4th one there's only a hidden Big Nugget. To me it seems like something was removed and, being the Orbs were there because it related to Dragon-types, my guess is that at some point it was planned for the Soul Dew to be in the 4th area. I don't know why they removed it, maybe because they knew ORAS was going to be made so decided to save the Soul Dew as an event item (and did not have time to redo Zygarde's map)? Though if that as the case I'd maybe have put the Draco Plate there but whatever.

As for the Soul Dew being overpowered, they can either make it so the Special boost is decreased to 1.5x instead of double or it has a different effect depending on which one is holding it. Latios would double its Special Attack and Latias would double its Special Defense. if that's not enough of a increase to make the Soul Dew special, maybe they could make it that Latios gets its SpA doubled and SpD 1.5x while Latias gets its SpA 1.5x and its SpD doubled. Too bad their Mega forms don't get a speed increase (seriously, why not? They're based on JET planes!), otherwise this might not be such a big issue.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
As for the Soul Dew being overpowered, they can either make it so the Special boost is decreased to 1.5x instead of double or it has a different effect depending on which one is holding it. Latios would double its Special Attack and Latias would double its Special Defense. if that's not enough of a increase to make the Soul Dew special, maybe they could make it that Latios gets its SpA doubled and SpD 1.5x while Latias gets its SpA 1.5x and its SpD doubled. Too bad their Mega forms don't get a speed increase (seriously, why not? They're based on JET planes!), otherwise this might not be such a big issue.
Soul Dew was always a free CM boost, and it would still be broken if it only boosted one stat instead of both because Latios would have a free Choice Specs and Latias would be the ultimate Special Tank.

Does anybody know if they're gonna bring back older tms and stuff? Like Focus Punch, Natural Gift etc...And how about the gems such as flying gems?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Soul Dew was always a free CM boost, and it would still be broken if it only boosted one stat instead of both because Latios would have a free Choice Specs and Latias would be the ultimate Special Tank.
*facepalm* Sorry, made a mistake, I thought the Soul Dew doubled Latios & Latias Special stats. Hmm, let's see, how to nerf that. Well we could go the Creation Orbs route and just have them increase Dragon- and Psychic-type moves by 50%. Or maybe add a penalty to using it, like a decrease to the Physical stats? Honestly I could list a dozen ways to nerf the Soul Dew but I don't see what the point would be since I doubt they'll change it.

Does anybody know if they're gonna bring back older tms and stuff? Like Focus Punch, Natural Gift etc...And how about the gems such as flying gems?
Older TMs would probably return as Move Tutor moves in ORAS and XY2. They MIGHT use Gen III's TM list for ORAS (they'll at least need to add in some HMs like Dive), but they didn't for other remakes.

As for items, no clue what they have planned for those. It's odd they didn't make the gems obtainable via smashing rocks. Actually they could put them in the Global Link shop, that'll probably be the easiest way.

Karxrida

*facepalm* Sorry, made a mistake, I thought the Soul Dew doubled Latios & Latias Special stats. Hmm, let's see, how to nerf that. Well we could go the Creation Orbs route and just have them increase Dragon- and Psychic-type moves by 50%. Or maybe add a penalty to using it, like a decrease to the Physical stats? Honestly I could list a dozen ways to nerf the Soul Dew but I don't see what the point would be since I doubt they'll change it.

Older TMs would probably return as Move Tutor moves in ORAS and XY2. They MIGHT use Gen III's TM list for ORAS (they'll at least need to add in some HMs like Dive), but they didn't for other remakes.

As for items, no clue what they have planned for those. It's odd they didn't make the gems obtainable via smashing rocks. Actually they could put them in the Global Link shop, that'll probably be the easiest way.
Talking about possible nerfs to Soul Dew is pointless because that's baseless speculation/wish-listing (which we are supposed to be avoiding) and they probably won't do it anyway.

Concerning TMs, they've never changed the list in the middle of a gen. They'll probably add some of the old TM moves as Tutors scattered about the game like in FireRed and LeafGreen or just have them at the Battle Tower/Frontier at the end like previous gens, assuming they're in at all.

Talking about possible nerfs to Soul Dew is pointless because that's baseless speculation/wish-listing (which we are supposed to be avoiding) and they probably won't do it anyway.

Concerning TMs, they've never changed the list in the middle of a gen. They'll probably add some of the old TM moves as Tutors scattered about the game like in FireRed and LeafGreen or just have them at the Battle Tower/Frontier at the end like previous gens, assuming they're in at all.
I recall them mentioning some tms became hms, and that some moves migth fill the spot. Again this is an old rumour.

So Rock Smash is returning as an HM that requires you to have the Dynamo Badge in order to use it? Otherwise, going north of Mauville before fighting Wattson would be possible.

antemortem

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Socialization Head
So Rock Smash is returning as an HM that requires you to have the Dynamo Badge in order to use it? Otherwise, going north of Mauville before fighting Wattson would be possible.
Where did you read this? If this isn't new information then it's not really relevant to the discussion at hand I don't believe.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Hmm, before we go on talking about TMs let's maybe see what the difference is between the TM list for Gen III and Gen VI:

TM & HM #: Starting off, Gen III has 50 TMs & 8 HMs while Gen VI has 100 TMs and 5 HMs.
Gen VI doesn't have the following Gen III TMs:
Water Pulse
Bullet Seed
Giga Drain

Iron Tail
Shock Wave
Secret Power (Needed to open Secret Bases)
Skill Swap
Snatch
Gen VI doesn't have the following Gen III HMs:
Flash ("Needed" to get through dark caves)(exists in VI has TM)
Rock Smash ("Needed" to break the boulders in Rusturf Tunnel to connect Route 116 and Verdanturf Town)(exists in VI has TM)
Dive (Needed to access Sootopolis City)

That's a good point. If they don't reinstate Rock Smash's HM status then that just removes an old roadblock. Then again, being Wanda's boyfriend is suppose to be breaking apart rocks, they could make it that until you get the Dynamo Badge he's still digging through the cave. Then once you get the Dynamo Badge you can go back to the tunnel and it'll be revealed that he's gotten to two boulders he can't destroy without Rock Smash.

Of course, that still don't solve the problem for Dive. I suppose they could maybe have a Dive move tutor somewhere like in Mossdeep City and in order for him to teach it to your Pokemon you need to get the Mind Badge.

That way they can still keep the roadblocks without having to add back in the HMs needed to remove those roadblocks.

Where did you read this? If this isn't new information then it's not really relevant to the discussion at hand I don't believe.
Rock Smash was an HM in the original games that required you to have the Dynamo Badge from Wattson in order to use the move. It was essential towards moving forward in the story as smashable rocks blocked the path north of Mauville, Route 111. If it stays as a TM, as it has been since Unova, nothing would stop players from proceeding straight from Slateport all the way to Lavaridge to battle Flannery. However, if it is reverted back to its HM status, the story can continue as it originally had since you would be forced to travel to Verdanturf to talk with Wally's family and return to the Mauville Gym to challenge Wattson.

In my last post, I was just weighing the odds whether or not

This is big. The path the story takes is definitely considered by how old HM's are reinstated, but I apologize if it sounded like I confirmed information.

Seeing as the Rock Smash HM was just handed to you by a scientist in a house in Mauville, they could easily just have him only give it to you AFTER you beat Wattson, or make up some other roadblock for you above Mauville. It's not like they won't stoop to not explaining a road block

Seeing as the Rock Smash HM was just handed to you by a scientist in a house in Mauville, they could easily just have him only give it to you AFTER you beat Wattson, or make up some other roadblock for you above Mauville. It's not like they won't stoop to not explaining a road block
They won't have to explain it this time. We already know.

Xen

Wi-Fi Leader
Just throwing it out there, but it wouldn't be hard at all to change up the available TMs and HMs a bit in ORAS. Now that TMs are reusable and can't be held/traded, some can be switched around with no penalty in regards to compatibility with X/Y

Rock Smash returning as an HM has been confirmed by the official site for a while now under Watson's page.

From the official site:
"If you hold the Dynamo Badge, Pokémon up to Lv. 40 will obey your orders, even if you receive them from others. You will also be able to crush small boulders with cracks in them if you have a Pokémon that knows the HM move Rock Smash."

http://www.pokemonrubysapphire.com/en-us/characters/gym-leaders/gym-leader-wattson

Karxrida

So I was wrong about them changing the TM list, but that doesn't mean they're going to go overboard with it. Rock Smash and (probably) Flash are the only TMs that are guaranteed to get changed, and even then they'll probably be replaced by Water Pulse (only Gym Leader TM from Hoenn that didn't stay a TM) and Secret Power (needed for Secret Bases).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)