Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hi, coming in and asking anyone who mains Little Mac to like this post.

Okay good, now I know who I hate.

Seriously, what the fuck were they thinking? They nerfed Meta Knight, but then put in an almost-as-broken character? Little Mac just hits way too damn hard and is fast at the same time; who the fuck thought that was a good combo?! He's more like Meta Knight on steroids; the only thing making him even somewhat beatable is his awful recovery. And don't get me started on that knockout punch. If it lands, you're fucking fucked and that's fucking it. Like, I'm sorry, but anything that will FUCKING KILL YOU at like 60% is game-breaking as hell. Basically, your strategy against Little Mac is "Grab him and throw him off the edge," but any decent Little Mac player will have a counter to that strategy, so you better learn how to time your counters. I main Marth/Lucina but I'm about to start maining fucking anything that has a favorable matchup against Little Mac, even if it's something as bad as SSBM Pichu. Like, if Ganondorf hard-countered Little Mac (which I'm pretty fucking sure he doesn't) I'd main him, that's how much I hate Little Mac.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Yo Little Mac is good but at least the character has exploitable weaknesses.

Have fun when you want to go up against a competent Rosalina. That is a character worth complaining about.

Have problems with Little Mac's armor on Smashes? Luma has armor on everything. Don't like the obscenely safe moves Mac has? Good luck punishing anything Rosalina does when she has Luma up. Rosalina also has guaranteed combos into UAir chains off grabs, and can freely kill off the top on stages like Prism Tower that have a really low ceiling. Also let's talk about that Dash Attack, probably the best move in the history of the series, when you have Luma this thing is way past Mach Tornado level of annoying. It's like 10 Bowser sized hitboxes orbiting around her with Super Armor in the front, and it's completely safe. Her only weakness is if you kill Luma, it's gone for about 10 seconds and she's vulnerable during that time, and MAYBE that it's hard to land her kill moves.

Everyone in my area got over the Little Mac thing after like 2 days (now everyone that hated Mac is hating Rosalina!), and you should too. I'm going to admit as a Mac player right now, Lucina/Marth are GARBAGE against Mac, and there's not a whole lot you can do unless you pick up a secondary. If you really want to play a counter, Peach, Pikachu, and (of course) Rosalina all counter him incredibly efficiently.

Dread Arceus

total cockhead
It seems people are hating on whatever they matchup worst against, rather than whatever's most broken. For me, that thing is King Dedede. The fat fuck doesn't die till around 180%, and literally just has to sit there spamming Gordos to win

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Little mac seems to be a bit cheap to me at least, given how fast he's allowed to built % up on you, and really is only weak on battlefield and strong on omegas (and there's so many of those...). The one thing I don't like is that he gets an instakill, shield-breaking move for taking damage.

I knew from the second I faced my friend as rosalina that she's the number one most annoying character in the game. Luma is fucking ridiculous, and only gets worse when you put in warp luma + starbit into the equation.

Little Mac is not "the new Meta Knight", he is Ike.

Well, I don't expect him to drop off the face of the earth in use and esteem from people like Ike did, but his current situation is the same, with half the players abusing his cool factor and easy to play style, and the other half being annoyed by it.

Last edited:
have you guys not played against good luc or bowsers yet? def top tier along with rose and prob lil mac, sheik and greninja imo

Photo How is Sheik top tier? I feel like I'm doing something wrong, but with all the characters with poke without having to sacrifice kill potential, I legitimately wonder why people are consistently saying Sheik is one of the best characters in this game. I legitimately want to know, maybe it'll make me better with Sheik. :3

Bowser is definitely ridiculous, though. You have to play passive as hell if you're a melee champ and it makes him retardedly hard to kill. He does too much knockback while being too damn tanky and having a side smash that can OHKO you at like 40% means that no matter how much you dodge him, because get hit once and you're fucked. I already QQ'd about Lucario. ;_; Greninja seems strong as hell in the right hands, too, but nothing too ridiculous, he is strong and fast but if you can outplay the counter you should have him easily once you get him.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Sheik basically plays like Melee Sheik where she is very fast and combos well. She can kill and her main ways of doing so are Uair (DThrow can combo into it), Bouncing Fish (her DownB), and gimping with Bair or Fair. She is pretty flexible, able to use her speed and mobility to play campy with Needles/Grenades or get up in your face. A good Sheik is definitely one of the most challenging foes you'll face. You just have too know how to kill with her.

Also I personally don't think Greninja's counter is that great, the actual counterattack has a noticeable pause before coming out so it can easily be shielded and punished. It can work but it is very situational and you shouldn't rely on it. All of his other moves rock though so its ok. :o

Last edited:
Fireburn I find it really weird how even with my B-Down (Bouncing Fish is not her B-Side :P) I can't really kill anyone until like 170%, even people like Bowser Jr. who aren't that bulky. :\ I have only been able to kill people at like 120-140% with Up Smash and MAYBE Side Smash. I even do the combo that you mention with DThrow to up air frequently when I can and poke with my needles so sometimes I do manage to get them, but Sheik being relatively weak and not being super tanky and making kill potential hard imo avoids Sheik from being top tier. Then again, I've only seen one Sheik besides myself, so I should probably just agree with you guys. :P

Oh my lord. I think it's more like Sheik's aerial game is the reason why this character is so good. The poke and combos are just an added bonus. *_*

Either that or Denti is a god.

Last edited:

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
To be fair, what he says is 100% logical. If the phone is connected to the network, its taking some of its bandwidth... So it makes sense that turning them off (by that taking them off the network) makes the connection better. Even if your phone is idling, its probably still sending marginal amounts of data across the network such as checking for updates and stuff. You always want a connection as clear as possible when playing online, regardless of platform :|

The WiiU version looks so good... Also I see you there Kirby toys. Oh, and Nintendo, sell those category icons on the right in that size, I'd like to have one of those for my wall :)

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Oh my lord. I think it's more like Sheik's aerial game is the reason why this character is so good. The poke and combos are just an added bonus. *_*

Either that or Denti is a god.
Pretty sure it's a combination of both. Shiek has always had a solid aerial game and fantastic combos. Find someone that's really good with her, and they know how to bring out the best of that. It looks like her edgeguard game is really good as well (super important since no more edgehogging) with bair, fair, and bouncing fish all looking like reliable options for this.

Relados

fractactical genius
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Anyone else having fun with the customs?

Ganondorf's are amazing and might actually make him usable if they are allowed.

There's also other fun stuff like adding Super Armor to Back Slash and Jet Hammer.

how does the custom stuff work
2 parts to it (plus smash run powers if you're into that and mii clothes)

equipment gives boosts to attack, defense, or speed, usually giving a buff to one at a lesser cost to another (so it's possible to equip 3 different ones and have positive stats in all 3 categories) but other times giving other boosts (faster run speed, starting the game with an item, and other huge bonuses). these all have to be unlocked through classic/smash run/the minigames and stuff.

custom specials are slightly different (though sometimes massively different) versions of the characters' special attacks. they are much harder to obtain, and considering there's like 400 unlockable ones there's a lot of stuff to unlock. every character gets 2 customs for each directional special (they get to choose from 3 attacks for each special, the "original" + 2 new ones) and they can equip any combination for their 4 moves. 3^4 = 81 different combinations for each fighter.

both custom equipment and specials can be turned on or off in normal smash modes and solo player, plus online with friends. online with randoms doesn't allow you to use them though.

Relados

fractactical genius
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It's a shame you can only choose for customs to be entirely on or off, and can't specify equipment or moves only. The moves are fun, but the equipment can make someone completely broken.

I just finally got the 3DS version...honestly the circle pad can rot in hell, it's ruining what would otherwise be a pretty fun game for me. This isn't the 80s where bad controls made the games harder than they were >.>

Unsurprisingly I guess I feel most at home with Marth, despite whatever nerfs happened he still is the only character I can use half decently use since I played him almost exclusively in Melee. Lil Mac is pretty fun too, I can see why people say he's overpowering initially, just comes at you fast. I really don't get what Shulk is supposed to do though, Pacman is fun as well. But honestly despite waiting forever for a new Smash game, I am tempted to take this one back and just wait for the proper version on the Wii U, if only because it will at least have the proper controls over trying to make do with the circle pad.

Pic of the day. Unfortunately, I've been too busy working on developing the Wii U version that I haven't had a chance to play Home-Run Contest with my Global Smash Power turned on. So fighters, with the game now released worldwide, how are you faring with your home-run distance and Global Smash Power? I wonder if Ganondorf gives you some advantage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)