Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is SD Acrobatics talonflame a legit set? I've been trying it, and I honestly can't tell if it's inferior to the standard sd brave bird + sharp beak set. I like it's longevity, but at times i really miss the power. I just like it's ability to set up all over stallbreaker mew.

Is SD Acrobatics talonflame a legit set? I've been trying it, and I honestly can't tell if it's inferior to the standard sd brave bird + sharp beak set. I like it's longevity, but at times i really miss the power. I just like it's ability to set up all over stallbreaker mew.
Regular SD Talon can set-up nicely on stallbreaker Mew. It's worth losing the Sharp Beck to get to +2 (or +3) in most cases.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Is a Celebi-Heatran core still viable? If so, which is physically defensive and which is specially defensive? I'm not going to use VenuTran because I'm using another Mega in the current team.
CeleTran can work and still covers most of the metagame pretty well but has problems with a few things namely Greninja, Lando-T, MHera, MMedi, MPinsir, Mamoswine as well as Bisharp and Garchomp to a lesser extent, so make sure you cover these well. It's not nearly as effective as it was last gen but it's usable.

btw defentely run Phys Def Celebi and SpD Heatran if you decide to run both, either that or run two offensive sets like Scarftran+LO Celebi (this might actually be a better idea since you don't have to worry about Greninja or the mega wallbreakers nearly as much)

Is a Celebi-Heatran core still viable? If so, which is physically defensive and which is specially defensive? I'm not going to use VenuTran because I'm using another Mega in the current team.
I'd definitely go with physically defensive Celebi as Celebi is bulky enough to take U-Turns from Scarfed Landorus-T if it uses Recover on the predicted move, and can Baton Pass out of pokemon like Scizor, while physically defensive Heatran can't put its resistances to good use, as most physical attackers will have a super effective move to target it with.

CeleTran can work and still covers most of the metagame pretty well but has problems with a few things namely Greninja, Lando-T, MHera, MMedi, MPinsir, Mamoswine as well as Bisharp and Garchomp to a lesser extent, so make sure you cover these well. It's not nearly as effective as it was last gen but it's usable.

btw defentely run Phys Def Celebi and SpD Heatran if you decide to run both, either that or run two offensive sets like Scarftran+LO Celebi (this might actually be a better idea since you don't have to worry about Greninja or the mega wallbreakers nearly as much)
Yeah, I'll think about if I want more offensive or defensive look for them. I've also got four other slots to check the threats that blow that core. Thanks for the feedback!

Okay. I'm trying to run up a Scizor build, and I took a look at the moves. It looks like Superpower and Knock Off are both unavailable in XY on Scyther or Scizor. Does this mean the only way obtain them with the right IV spread is by breeding and training them in those previous generations? Because that sounds like a major pain.

I was originally planning on using the OU Choice Band build on the strategy dex (Choice Band, Adamant, Technician, 248 HP / 252 ATK / 8 SPD, Bullet Punch, U-Turn, Superpower, Knock Off). Attack hard, lots of switching, that sort of thing.

If it is the only way to get those moves, I'd like to either trade someone for a 31/31/31/x/31/31 Scizor with those moves, or else determine what the best replacement moves are. Pursuit and Brick Break look like pretty straightforward stand-ins, but if anyone has some better ideas I'd love to hear them.

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Inspired by the Mega Doppelgangers thread in Celticpride034's signature, I'm thinking the following;

Scizor @ Leftovers
Technician
Adamant
252 ATK / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Bug Bite

It's not the in-and-out cannon I envisioned, of course. I chose Bug Bite over Brick Break because my team already has decent Fighting coverage, but I could be convinced to change that.

As an aside, does Smogon OU not have an item clause? If it does, I'll have to switch that Leftovers for something else - Shell Bell, maybe?

Last edited:
Scizor @ Leftovers
Technician
Adamant
252 ATK / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Bug Bite
Bug Bite is a Tutor Move. So you're gonna have to go with X-Scissor. Apart from that, it's pretty good (I used a CB Scizor without any Tutor Moves, I went for U-Turn over SD for obvoius reasons ^^)

I think, in that case, I may just end up switching Knock Off for Pursuit and Superpower for either Brick Break or X-Scissor. Probably Brick Break for better coverage.

Thanks!

What could that replace? I know in the "true" OU build, Superpower was included for coverage, but Knock Off seemed primarily in to screw with item-based strategies. Maybe I could put AA on in place of Pursuit, then?

Hey slayer thanks for the answer ; makes perfect sense. I'm just curious though, where did you find that answer ?
Just thought I'd add - speed affects the order of lots of things. The faster pokemon will attack (except when out-prioritized or under trick room), switch out, get leftovers recovery, and take sandstorm/hail damage before the slower pokemon does each of those things (like, faster mon takes sandstorm damage, slower mon takes sandstorm damage, faster mon gets lefties recovery, slower mon gets lefties recovery). It's a great way to tell who's faster without having to actually risk attacking. Although, it could always be a speed tie.

UnicornDemon

Banned deucer.
Hi,

I'm currently playing a hazards stacking team and I'm looking for a good double dancer (i.e. Nasty Plot/Swords Dance + Agility/Dragon Dance). Right now I'm using Thundurus-Therian, and he does the job pretty well, but I'm wondering who else might be able to answer my call.

Hi,

I'm currently playing a hazards stacking team and I'm looking for a good double dancer (i.e. Nasty Plot/Swords Dance + Agility/Dragon Dance). Right now I'm using Thundurus-Therian, and he does the job pretty well, but I'm wondering who else might be able to answer my call.
This is kind of hard to answer without knowing the rest of your team. If you post that then I can help you find a good late game sweeper based off of your team

Edit: yes the posts below me are true but kind of ruins the point because we don't know if the team already has a Terrakion or Landorus or something

Last edited:

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Hi,

Rock Polish/SD Landorus-T, Terrakion are some options to consider as well as Tailwind/SD CharX. It varies depending on your team though as RotomPoison pointed out.

Hi,

Lando-T can do that job extremely well, with Rock Polish and SD. Once at +2 atk, he can 2HkO roughly 90% of the relevant threats in the meta with stone edge and eq, and at + 2 speed he outspeeds every ou mon with adamant.
Other options would be CM rock polish Landorus incarnate, and SD rock polish Terrakion, with Close Combat and Stone Edge.

Hi can anybody tell me what garchomps chainchomp set is as I'm hearing a lot of people talking about it
It's a set carries Fire Blast to help lure in and take down Skarmory and Ferrothorn. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this spread, but I think it's something like 4 atk / 252 spa / 252 spe with a naughty or naive nature and Earthquake, Stone Edge, Fire Blast, and Draco Meteor. No idea what it's item would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)