Super Smash Bros 4 (Spoilers ITT)

So I've already gushed about Lucario in this thread, but can we talk about Captain Falcon for a second? They gave him all the right buffs he needed and he's gone from the complete joke he was in brawl to a really satisfying and powerful character to play. You still can't go in safely like in Melee / Brawl, but once you find something to punish, you can zip into their face and either grab them or dash attack them. A grab means a down throw which can mean anything from a simple uair bare minimum to a knee at some percents on some characters. Dash attack is GREAT! It hits opponents up in the air for you to do whatever with them, mainly uairs. As you might have picked up on reading this, uair is also fantastic and awesome. One of falcon's bigger problems in the past has been killing without knees. D-throw -> Knee and just gimping are still good options, but you now have your Side-B with RIDICULOUS knock back to fall back on. In particular, it's a good punishing tool versus people rolling too frequently. It does have very low priority though, so save it for when you're confident it'll hit. I have some difficulty getting in vs opponents like Toon Link / DHD, but getting in once does seem to lead to a lot of percent. I'm having a blast with him and would highly recommend trying him.

Valzy

Destroyer of Worlds
is a Contributor Alumnus
3DS online servers are down for matinence. I wonder what they are fixing...
It was just regular maintinance, although it took far longer than expected.

I like to play as many characters but I'm a big fan of Zero Suit Samus and not just because she's hot. She's fast, has really nice aerials, her Up Smash is really nice, and paralyzer makes for a great punishing tool. I'm still getting used to her, but she's definetly my best character. Sheik also seems great, but I can never get the hang of her.

I also love Greninja, and I feel like he's a great character, with an amazing projectile, great fair, uair and usmash, but I can't get the hang of him, same with Lucario, I feel like he's amazing, but I can never really get the feel for either of these characters.

I like Ike and Charizard too, but I can definetly say that they don't seem like top tier material, their attacks are too slow to land effectively. Ike definetly seems to be superior to Charizard, but neither of them look very good. Donkey Kong and Ganondorf also seem to fall into the pitfall of slow but powerful characters, and they look bad too. Captain Falcon looks nice, but I hate him.

Bowser, as everyone knows, has been massively buffed, and is significantly better in SSB4. He's got amazing KO power and great aerials. I don't think he's the best character, but he seems really damn good.

Rosalina is prety amazing, and I would definetly rank her in the top 5. She's somewhat difficult to use, and dependent upon Luma, but she is amazing.

Robin is a great character, and is amazing at camping. Unfortuently for me, I HATE camping, and his durability mechanic annoys the hell out of me. However, I still feel like he's an amazing character.

Duck Hunt is another campy character. He has great projectiles and recovery, but very few kill moves, decent, but not the best character

Little Mac is a beast on the ground, but I wish he could be just a bit better everywhere else.

I love Marth and Lucina. Marth is better because of his ability to tip, but Lucina is much easier to play agressively with. However, I'm somewhat disapointed with them, they aren't great, but they don't suck. They're kinda just in the middle for me.

Wii Fit Trainer and Villager are fucking stupid. This is a fighting game with some of nintendo's mightiest heroes and villians and then they decide to add a fucking yoga instructer and a farmer. What the hell Nintendo!

Last edited:

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So I've already gushed about Lucario in this thread, but can we talk about Captain Falcon for a second? They gave him all the right buffs he needed and he's gone from the complete joke he was in brawl to a really satisfying and powerful character to play. You still can't go in safely like in Melee / Brawl, but once you find something to punish, you can zip into their face and either grab them or dash attack them. A grab means a down throw which can mean anything from a simple uair bare minimum to a knee at some percents on some characters. Dash attack is GREAT! It hits opponents up in the air for you to do whatever with them, mainly uairs. As you might have picked up on reading this, uair is also fantastic and awesome. One of falcon's bigger problems in the past has been killing without knees. D-throw -> Knee and just gimping are still good options, but you now have your Side-B with RIDICULOUS knock back to fall back on. In particular, it's a good punishing tool versus people rolling too frequently. It does have very low priority though, so save it for when you're confident it'll hit. I have some difficulty getting in vs opponents like Toon Link / DHD, but getting in once does seem to lead to a lot of percent. I'm having a blast with him and would highly recommend trying him.
Have you been able to master a "falling up air"? Just before you hit the ground, if you use his up air, it will create a pretty well prioritized hitbox in front of him, and it has some of the smallest lag/startup (I can't remember which) of any aerial. It's fantastic for getting in on people without using dash attack. I, too, love the new captain falcon; he's just so much fun and so powerful at the same time!

Valzy

Destroyer of Worlds
is a Contributor Alumnus
Have you been able to master a "falling up air"? Just before you hit the ground, if you use his up air, it will create a pretty well prioritized hitbox in front of him, and it has some of the smallest lag/startup (I can't remember which) of any aerial. It's fantastic for getting in on people without using dash attack. I, too, love the new captain falcon; he's just so much fun and so powerful at the same time!
I don't like to use Captain Falcon much, but I prefer upsmashing out of my dashes instead of using a dash attack. It's not as easy to land, but it has better damage and knockback.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
So this has been debated quite a bit, it's a little old at this point but it's still interesting for those who haven't seen it.

I think the footage is fake because it doesn't have the KO animation like in the 3DS.

However I wouldn't be surprised if the characters did appear as dlc.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
I think the footage is fake because it doesn't have the KO animation like in the 3DS.
I'm actually surprised there are people in the Smash community that still don't know what Project M is.

I see more people play Project M here at college than actual Smash games (including Smash 4) and yet poor Acklow here is clueless.

It's completely baffling.

Valzy

Destroyer of Worlds
is a Contributor Alumnus
I'm actually surprised there are people in the Smash community that still don't know what Project M is.

I see more people play Project M here at college than actual Smash games (including Smash 4) and yet poor Acklow here is clueless.

It's completely baffling.
I don't see why people like Project M so much, Melee wasn't any better than Brawl

Well I love this game. Played it a week straight until my snapped in two, literally. I jumped up ds in hand to get some lunch the other day, but it was still plugged into the wall... it flew out of my hand hit the wall and broke in half. So looks like I'm getting a job

Edit: To the guy who is saying that charizard is bad, you do not know how to play him at all. Not top teir but no lower then mid. Nair is godlike :D

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
debating whether or not to go to this big grassroots Smash tournament at my university and I'm just sitting here like "I don't even know how to combo"

just from fooling around though, Wii Fit Trainer is actually pretty fun but has almost no range on smash attacks and recovery is a bit weird

debating whether or not to go to this big grassroots Smash tournament at my university and I'm just sitting here like "I don't even know how to combo"

just from fooling around though, Wii Fit Trainer is actually pretty fun but has almost no range on smash attacks and recovery is a bit weird
That's the beauty of it, you don't even HAVE to know how to combo in smash 4! You just fight people. With moves! It's all about having fun and meeting people.

I highly recommend going, supporting the scene, and having a good time. If you lose, at least you get to learn.

Do it! Talk to people and make friends -- you already have an awesome game in common, and you can take that really far. I went to my first tournament last month for 64, and it was a great experience. It has definitely convinced me that I want to go to Apex 2015, and maybe I'll see some Smogoners there.

Pic of the day. Now here's a challenge… Find Stalfos!! (Difficulty Level 3) This is a close-up of a specific area in the Trophy Hoard, but the search will be more challenging if you zoom out. You can change the alignment of these trophies by holding down a direction on the +Control Pad while you're entering Trophy Hoard.

(Sorry about delay, I've been addicted to Hyrule Warriors.)

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

Does the Wii Fit trainer even have any good kill moves? Every time I use her in All Star mode I seem to fail epically because I can't figure out what I need to spam to kill people.

she has a special specifically purposed to increase launch power, and has a decent offstage game because her vertical and horizontal speed are both above average

sun salutation and her smash attacks all have decent kill potential on top of this, and usmash has invuln on startup

she's kinda somewhere in the middle of mario and fox imo

Dread Arceus

total cockhead

Pic of the day. Now here's a challenge… Find Stalfos!! (Difficulty Level 3) This is a close-up of a specific area in the Trophy Hoard, but the search will be more challenging if you zoom out. You can change the alignment of these trophies by holding down a direction on the +Control Pad while you're entering Trophy Hoard.

(Sorry about delay, I've been addicted to Hyrule Warriors.)
you should add me, I've been playing HW quite a bit myself n_n

Does the Wii Fit trainer even have any good kill moves? Every time I use her in All Star mode I seem to fail epically because I can't figure out what I need to spam to kill people.
Her down smash is pretty good, but most of the faster character have alot of trouble killing in this game

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)