Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
As funny as it is, and I hate to be a joke killer, since I play mostly randbats, could there possibly be a change in rotom fan's item (air balloon). I know the 3x ground immunity is all funny and whatnot, but it can be more useful with other sets. Perhaps have a small chance for it to have an air ballon.

In this same vein, is it true that every heatmore has the exact same set? Because I've been playing around that set a lot, and it seems eveyone knows it, taking out the element of strategizing by surprise from the meta.
In random battles, most things only use one or two sets, with slight variation. If you want a truly random battle, go to Challenge Cup.

This thread is 99 pages long so I'm not sure if this has been mentioned, but if the last 30 seconds on the battle timer didn't give an update every 10 seconds, I think less people would stall. I've noticed a lot of people stalling and waiting for the last 10 seconds to be announced then counting to like 5-8 then choosing their move. If the timer stopped giving updates at 30 seconds they would have to guess when it's up and might miss it, or at the very least put their move in earlier than 3 mins.

NOTE: this is not changing the 3 min timer, just how it is displayed in the battle chat.
While timer stalling is annoying this would be a problem for people playing legitimatly and just taking their time. Especially if you want to run a calc it's nice to know when you absolutely can't wait any longer to make your move.

Okay I have this itch so to speak about rocky helmet/iron barbs/rough skin damage, the problem is that the recoil damage from those abilities/items will win it for the user of these abilities/items in a 1v1 scenario, I think it's not fair that they get to have the win when BOTH pokemon are knocked out simultaneously but the user of these abilities/items get the win, I mean ffs, the (for example) Garchomp would have lost it's HP first and then the Pokemon who KO'd it would reach 0% after, but it's the Garchomp that wins, I mean shouldn't it be the opponent of the Garchomp that wins? They picked up the KO first after all!

Please, please, please consider this, I'm sure I'm not the only one, and it's fairly reasonable too!

Peace, Kyorem

Okay I have this itch so to speak about rocky helmet/iron barbs/rough skin damage, the problem is that the recoil damage from those abilities/items will win it for the user of these abilities/items in a 1v1 scenario, I think it's not fair that they get to have the win when BOTH pokemon are knocked out simultaneously but the user of these abilities/items get the win, I mean ffs, the (for example) Garchomp would have lost it's HP first and then the Pokemon who KO'd it would reach 0% after, but it's the Garchomp that wins, I mean shouldn't it be the opponent of the Garchomp that wins? They picked up the KO first after all!

Please, please, please consider this, I'm sure I'm not the only one, and it's fairly reasonable too!

Peace, Kyorem
I didn't read, but no.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor

Peace, Kyorem
The problem is that ps! imitates any and all in-game mechanics identically. This is a mechanic -- not something that we can just ban or change, so this isn't going to happen. Sorry!

Can we rename the Watch a Battle feature to Creep a Battle? -_-

On a more serious note, I'd like to suggest removing it entirely. I've never seen the purpose or benefit of entering random people's battles. I've actually had someone enter my battle randomly just to troll and then leave. I don't normally suggest the removal of things from PS! but it does seem like a pointless feature that is abused every now and then.

As funny as it is, and I hate to be a joke killer, since I play mostly randbats, could there possibly be a change in rotom fan's item (air balloon). I know the 3x ground immunity is all funny and whatnot, but it can be more useful with other sets. Perhaps have a small chance for it to have an air balloon.
Agreed.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Can we rename the Watch a Battle feature to Creep a Battle? -_-

On a more serious note, I'd like to suggest removing it entirely. I've never seen the purpose or benefit of entering random people's battles. I've actually had someone enter my battle randomly just to troll and then leave. I don't normally suggest the removal of things from PS! but it does seem like a pointless feature that is abused every now and then.

Agreed.
But what about tournament matches or competitions with your friends -- or the countless forum games using PS! as opposed to PO? (smogon doesn't host any of them, but other sites do). I think that it is a pretty necessary feature honestly. It has a lot of uses, and while, like a lot of things in this thread, can be abused from time to time, I don't think it is common or annoying enough for it to be worth removing entirely.

Also in regards to just viewing random battles which you don't really have a connection to, I think that some new users could watch some battles, find some decent sets in action and take notes or try it out for themselves. In fact, I think that there should be a display of not only the users, but the ranks of the battlers in the "watch a battle" popup. It means that new users who want to use the feature don't just watch crappy battles with awful sets and think that they're the best.

But what about tournament matches or competitions with your friends -- or the countless forum games using PS! as opposed to PO? (smogon doesn't host any of them, but other sites do). I think that it is a pretty necessary feature honestly. It has a lot of uses, and while, like a lot of things in this thread, can be abused from time to time, I don't think it is common or annoying enough for it to be worth removing entirely.

Also in regards to just viewing random battles which you don't really have a connection to, I think that some new users could watch some battles, find some decent sets in action and take notes or try it out for themselves. In fact, I think that there should be a display of not only the users, but the ranks of the battlers in the "watch a battle" popup. It means that new users who want to use the feature don't just watch crappy battles with awful sets and think that they're the best.
The first part I'm okay with. I guess I should have clarified that I meant it for random battles. Learning from random matches can be done by linking to featured replays which can be found at http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ (If there aren't random battles listed for featured replays it'd be as easy as adding some)

I don't really think there's a need to watch random battles in action to learn about sets and plays. It can be abused in real time while replays cannot. At the least, clicking Watch a Battle should render users who click it muted so they don't disrupt the match.

Last edited:

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The first part I'm okay with. I guess I should have clarified that I meant it for random battles. Learning from random matches can be done by linking to featured replays which can be found at http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/

I don't really think there's a need to watch random battles in action to learn about sets and plays. It can be abused in real time while replays cannot. At the least, clicking Watch a Battle should render users who click it muted so they don't disrupt the match.
I like to watch random lives battles instead of replays. I find it more fun.

I like to watch random lives battles instead of replays. I find it more fun.
The benefit of fun doesn't outweight the abuse allowed with the feature. However, I could vouch for a middle ground where people are automatically muted if they watch random live battles using the Watch a Battle feature so the potential for abuse is eliminated. As long as it can't be abused I suppose I don't mind random users creeping on my battles.

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The benefit of fun doesn't outweight the abuse allowed with the feature. However, I could vouch for a middle ground where people are automatically muted if they watch random live battles using the feature so the potential for abuse is eliminated. As long as it can't be abused I suppose I don't mind random users creeping on my battles.
I don't get this? Automatically muted? Why not just set /modchat + ??

What's not to get? Automatically muted would allow users who are invited in or who view the battle by checking out a person's profile in a room (in other words, people who enter without going through Watch a Battle) to chime in as usual. I'm only suggesting auto-mute if you're going to watch some random battle. If you're going to be a spectator the ability to disrupt the match shouldn't be needed. I shouldn't have to set to modchat to prevent it, and I actually forgot that was an option. Expecting players to know about these commands rather than taking the initative and auto-muting random people who enter a battle is somewhat unfair in my opnion.

I just don't like going to PS to play a few randbats and having to deal with random people being disruptive in my games. I'll start taking screenshots from here on as it happens. I think that'll help build my case.

Darnell

Respected.
What's not to get? Automatically muted would allow users who are invited in or who view the battle by checking out a person's profile in a room won't be auto muted. I'm only suggesting auto-mute if you're going to watch some random battle. If you're going to be a spectator the ability to disrupt the match shouldn't be needed. I shouldn't have to set to modchat to prevent it, and I actually forgot that was an option. Expecting players to know about these commands rather than taking the initative and auto-muting random people who enter a battle is somewhat unfair in my opnion.
That's why the option to set /modchat was put there in the first place. There is always going to be those odd people that disrupt the match but some might actually want to watch the battles and comment on it. Automatically muting people or removing the feature is not the way to go about it.

Hey. Is it possible to make it so that if you click a link to a room in the "news" section, that it opens the room in the same window at the end of your room list rather than opening a whole new window of showdown?

Possibly an "or" operator for the Dexsearch command, it could help ALOT with searches. ie:

I need a pokemon that can heal itself, use wish and heal status problems.
Current option to find that pokemon:

Write all of these:
/ds Recover, Wish, Heal Bell
/ds Soft-Boiled, Wish, Heal Bell
/ds Milk Drink, Wish, Heal Bell
/ds Slack Off, Wish, Heal Bell
/ds Heal Order, Wish, Heal Bell
/ds Roost, Wish, Heal Bell

/ds Recover, Wish, Aromatherapy
/ds Soft-Boiled, Wish, Aromatherapy
/ds Milk Drink, Wish, Aromatherapy
/ds Slack Off, Wish, Aromatherapy
/ds Heal Order, Wish, Aromatherapy
/ds Roost, Wish, Aromatherapy
Using "or" operator:
/ds Recover || Soft-Boiled || Milk-Drink || Slack Off || Heal Order || Roost, Wish, Heal Bell || Aromatherapy
And the results will be shown this way:
Recover, Heal bell, Wish:
Chimecho, Chingling, Smeargle

Soft-Boiled, Heal bell, Wish:
Blissey, Chansey, Clefable, Clefairy, Smeargle, Togekiss, Togepi, Togetic

Milk-Drink, Heal bell, Wish:
Smeargle

Slack Off, Heal bell, Wish:
Smeargle

Heal Order, Heal bell, Wish:
Smeargle

Roost, Heal bell, Wish:
Smeargle, Togekiss, Togetic

Recover, Aromatherapy, wish:
Smeargle

Soft-Boiled, Aromatherapy, wish:
Blissey, Chansey, Clefable, Clefairy, Cleffa, Smeargle

Milk Drink, Aromatherapy, wish:
Smeargle

Slack Off, Aromatherapy, wish:
Smeargle

Heal Order, Aromatherapy, wish:
Smeargle

Roost, Aromatherapy, wish:
Smeargle
And this will probably be unbroadcastable. Possibly add an option to omit Smeargle in the results
:)

Last edited:
The problem is that ps! imitates any and all in-game mechanics identically. This is a mechanic -- not something that we can just ban or change, so this isn't going to happen. Sorry!
Okay thanks anyway, I was thinking maybe we could just change it for the 1v1 meta, unless mechanics take priority, then it is what it is

in order to prevent users accidentally highlighting space and becoming confused as to why everything is suddenly highlighted, I think it would be useful to check for trying to "/highlight add, " and return the message: "You tried to add a space to your highlights. If you meant to do this, use '/highlight add, ( )'."

formally requesting that we implement everything from ORAS, we have all the info we need. not necessarily make a ladder for it, but just implement it like we did for hoopa/volcanion/diancie so we can mess around with it in custom games

Xylen why are you bumping stuff?

flees

On a more serious note, I think it's a useful suggestion and makes it easier for LC battlers. However, it might make it a less more interesting as then you lack the point of predicting your opponent's moves and sets and strategy and all so it's actually a good cover. BUT, that doesn't matter because PS! follows in-game preview stuff so I'll third that statement.

Vileman

Actually a Nice Fella
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
UPL Champion
I dont know if this has been suggested, but is there any chance we can get to look at older replays wheen looking for them? For example, when i look for my name for replays, a lot of good ones have been left behind by the newer ones :[ so being able to look further would be cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)