CAP 19 CAP 19 — Final Product

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Well, it was a bumpy start for CAP 19, but we managed to make it through and finish this CAP regardless. Thanks to everyone who kept trucking even after we lost all our steam!

I'm going to respect the wishes of the artist when it comes to Plasmanta. Magistrum wanted it to be big, so big it shall be. How does a 7 meter wingspan sound? Wikipedia tells me that a 2 m wingspan manta ray weighs about 70 kg, so I'm going to (roughly) scale that up to 460 kg. That leaves the CAP's final dimensions at 23' 0" and 1014.1 lb. If you're curious, this means that a Gyarados could sleep comfortably, stretched out, on Plasmanta's back. It also makes it the 6th most massive and 5th tallest Pokemon in the Dex, tied with Snorlax and Rayquaza, respectively.

I'd like to thank the TLT, srk1214, Deck Knight, ginganinja, and alexwolf for leading so well despite minimal input by myself in the later stages of the project. But with no further ado, here's CAP19!

Name: Plasmanta

Art:

Sprites:

Concept:
Yilx said:
Name: Einherjar ~Acta Est Fabula~

Description: A Pokemon that dissuades your opponent from fainting it, or can even leave it's presence on the field felt even after it faints.

Justification: When a Pokemon faints, it's usually thought of as the battle having gotten down to a 5-6. However, we've yet to discover if a Pokemon can leave a lasting impression on the battle even after having fainted; be it through moves like Healing Wish and Destiny Bond, placing hazards that the opponent can't remove as their removal has been taken care of, or by leaving an opponent's key member weakened and/or taken out.

Questions To Be Answered:
  • How can a Pokemon leave a long-lasting effect on the rest of the battle with just it's moves?
  • How the hell is it different from simply ramming a sacrificial martyr into your opponent's team and hoping it punches holes in it?
  • Building on the previous question, is it possible to build this Pokemon as a defensive threat rather than a "Glass Cannon"?
  • Is it even possible for a Pokemon to leave a lasting effect on on the battle, even after it faints?
  • Could changing your opponent's way of thinking even be plausible? From, "I need to take CAP X out!", to, "Damn, if I take CAP X out, I'll be in trouble...!"
Type: Electric/Poison
Abilities: Storm Drain / Vital Spirit / Telepathy
Stats: 60 HP / 57 Atk / 119 Def / 131 SpA / 98 SpD / 100 Spe
Movepool:
Final Submission
Level Up Moves (3-3-4 pattern up to Lv 29, 4-5-4-5 pattern after Lv 29)
-- Poison Sting
-- Thunder Shock
-- Supersonic
06 Poison Sting –R-
06 Thunder Shock –R-
09 Supersonic –R-
12 Acid
16 Encore *
19 Thunder Wave *
22 Clear Smog *
26 Ion Deluge
29 Poison Tail
33 Aqua Tail *
38 Parabolic Charge
42 Psywave
47 Discharge
51 Cross Poison *
56 Swagger
60 Thunder *
64 Eerie Impulse
Egg Moves (Water 1 / Water 2 )

Haze *
Signal Beam *
Splash
Wide Guard
Shock Wave
Water Pulse

(As a side note, all of these moves can be obtained through breeding with either Mantine or Gyarados, though some obviously can come from multiple sources.)
TMs/HMs
TM03: Psyshock *
TM06: Toxic *
TM09: Venoshock
TM10: Hidden Power
TM12: Taunt *
TM15: Hyper Beam
TM17: Protect *
TM18: Rain Dance *
TM21: Frustration *
TM24: Thunderbolt *
TM25: Thunder * -R-
TM27: Return *
TM29: Psychic *
TM32: Double Team
TM34: Sludge Wave *
TM36: Sludge Bomb *
TM42: Façade *
TM44: Rest *
TM45: Attract
TM48: Round
TM68: Giga Impact
TM73: Thunder Wave * -R-
TM87: Swagger –R-
TM88: Sleep Talk *
TM90: Substitute *
TM91: Flash Cannon *
TM93: Wild Charge *
TM99: Dazzling Gleam *
TM100: Confide
HM01: Cut
Pokedex Entries:
Crux said:
Plasmanta, the Great Manta Pokemon

X: Revered as a god in ancient times due to its sheer size, its venom is known for its conduction properties.

Y: Research has found that Plasmanta venom has a resistance of precisely one Ohm, a godsend for certain technologies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice CAP. Once again, I made a promise to contribute to the CAP the whole way, and once again, I only submitted a concept. I will do something next time !_!

Great job all contributors.

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Nice job to the leadership team! Its sad to hear you may be leaving CAP, Pwnemon, because you were a cool TL.

Okay enough congratulations get hyped for the playtest

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
It looks very nice, glad I could participate!

24 feet! That's rather big, I visioned it being no bigger than a Mantine (smaller even). Just because it's meant to help set up for Gyarados doesn't mean you need to have it just as big as it, if anything having it small would help make Gyarados look bigger and meaner when you do send it out. If you want to make it big, okay, fine, but I wouldn't recommend anything near the size of Gyarados as you want to make it look like a big threat when it finally comes out.

As usual, I'm glad to see another one of these in its glory. I'm looking forward to the Hidden Ability, Pokedex entries, and most importantly, the Prevo poll!
Where do we go for those parts of the project? I'd like to participate in the Dex Entry, I have a few ideas. :)

Empress

Warning: may contain traces of nuts
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Despite some clear rough patches in the beginning and towards the end, I think we overall enjoyed a successful project. Somehow, even with the brutally difficult concept and Darkslay's disappearance, we were able to make it through. That speaks dividends about the work of Pwnemon and the rest of the TLT. Pwnemon, even though we obviously have had our disagreements, one thing is for sure: we couldn't have made it through the project without you, so I tip my cap to you for that.

Good luck to everyone who will participate in the play test. Yay for me for submitting the winning name! On that note, thank you for everyone who supported Plasmanta before it became the official name.

Last edited by a moderator:

HeaLnDeaL

Let's Keep Fighting
is an Artistis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for pulling us through this one, pwnemon and the TLT! I hope to see all of you guys around c: We truly have a unique Pokemon here and I can't wait to see how the playtest goes.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
In theory, the CAP seems pretty spot on regarding our concept, so i am very optimistic about the playtest. Kudos to Pwnemon for saving this CAP at the last moment and for leading the CAP, and congrats to everyone that participated in this CAP, especially the TLT team and a few good posters!

If you're curious, this means that a Gyarados could sleep comfortably, stretched out, on Plasmanta's back.
Um, on Plasmanta's wingspan? Because if it lied on from Plasmanta's tail to its head it could get impaled on the dorsal spike.

Anyway, great job everyone!

Where do we go for those parts of the project? I'd like to participate in the Dex Entry, I have a few ideas. :)
We just have to wait until a mod opens a thread dedicated to the Pokedex Entry submissions. Same goes for discussion and poll for the Flavor Ability, as well as the Prevo poll.

After the failure of Volkraken to fulfill its concept, I'm more optimistic that Plasmanta can be successful both in the playtest and in the CAP metagame at large. I hope that the playtest itself isn't marred by some of the problems from the last time around, either.

Da Pizza Man

Pizza Time
is a Pre-Contributor
Wow, I think we really nailed it on this one, even with DarkSlay's disappearance we still managed to hold it together, I can't wait for the playtest

Tadasuke

Tuh-dah-skay
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Shit, I didn't realize we would be done so soon.
Overall, I think that despite all the drama that went into making it, DS leaving and poll campaigning, we did a good job. The art is amazing the movepool and abilities fit the concept, the sprite is also amazing, and I look forward to seeing how the 3D models turn out. Playtest is going to be fun as fuck.

This was my first CAP, and I'd be lying if I said that it wasn't awfully rocky at times, but all in all I'd consider it a job well done! I hope I can participate in stats discussion in the future (it went way over my head this time), but shoutout to everyone who helped keep discussion moving whenever we reached an impasse. Can't wait for Prevo discussion, I have a brilliant name idea!

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Cool! Congrats to everyone who participated and contributed, despite the minor hiccups along the way (Darkslay ;~;). Also yay for bigmons XD

Looking forward to trying the playtest, altho I'll probably suck lol

Korski

Distilled, 80 proof
is a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I think the bright and shining success of this Project in particular was the resiliency of the CAP process itself. The personnel issues were some of the most potentially catastrophic that CAP has ever seen and we still made it through to what is, at first impression, a very successful end result. I credit as much of this to the structure of the CAP process as I do the individual users who stepped up to lead the community through it. I don't mean to downplay the effort of our leadership team and leading contributors, either; they did as great a job of coming together as a team to hoist up enthusiasm and top-tier contributions as anyone could expect.

I was obnoxiously busy for nearly the entirety of this CAP, which is regrettable, but watching from the sidelines I am very pleased with the performance of the incoming crew of veterans and the phenomenal input from our passionate newcomers. As a veteran and mod who has seen years and years and generations of CAP Projects come and go and whose personal involvement will be waning for the foreseeable future, this CAP in particular has made me very optimistic about the continued success of the Project as a whole moving into the future.

Great work, everyone.

nyttyn

From Now On, We'll...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I think the bright and shining success of this Project in particular was the resiliency of the CAP process itself. The personnel issues were some of the most potentially catastrophic that CAP has ever seen and we still made it through to what is, at first impression, a very successful end result. I credit as much of this to the structure of the CAP process as I do the individual users who stepped up to lead the community through it. I don't mean to downplay the effort of our leadership team and leading contributors, either; they did as great a job of coming together as a team to hoist up enthusiasm and top-tier contributions as anyone could expect.

I was obnoxiously busy for nearly the entirety of this CAP, which is regrettable, but watching from the sidelines I am very pleased with the performance of the incoming crew of veterans and the phenomenal input from our passionate newcomers. As a veteran and mod who has seen years and years and generations of CAP Projects come and go and whose personal involvement will be waning for the foreseeable future, this CAP in particular has made me very optimistic about the continued success of the Project as a whole moving into the future.

Great work, everyone.
YO FUCK DISASTERS WE CAP

BOB THE BUILDER AIN'T GOT SHIT ON US.

i am not looking forward to how long the PRC thread we're inevitably going to make to keep this from happening in the future is going to be.

Also can we all take a moment to appreciate how big Plasmata is

Dude's FAT.

Like...

HUGE!

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm not going to question it since I'm sure there's a good reason but I find it kind of funny that a Pokemon clearly based on an aquatic animal doesn't learn Surf

then again the Tynamo line exists

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)