ORAS General Discussion - Mark 2 - Spoilers Inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know it's early but my theoretical Mega Glalie set (presuming it IS HP 80 ATK 120 DEF 80 Sp.atk 120 Sp.def 80 Spd 100)

Glalie @ Glalieite
Ability: Ice Body
EVs: 64 HP / 252 Atk / 192 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Icy Wind/Bulldoze
- Return
- Explosion
- Earthquake/Protect

allows it to outspeed Greninja after one Icy Wind/Buldoze (depends on whether you want to do more damage with bulldoze or ensure the speed drop with icy wind since it hits all types), Return will hit like a truck, EQ for coverage or possibly Protect so that you dont have to worry about being out-sped by anything due to the 80 base speed of regular Glalie

After rocks I think Explosion OHKOs Skarm and pretty much obliterates everything

You generally can't check another trainer's mon so I imagine that we can't... Though I'm wrong about a lot of things...
It's definitely possible in X/Y. You can check your partner's stats and moves in the Battle Maison multi battles. It's just whether the demo allows us to do the same or not. I don't know whether it's possible to redo the double battle but if it is and the demo allows us to check Metagross then we should be able to figure out its mega's base stat changes as well.

Soaring looks so much like flying an arwing in Star Fox. The loop and barrel roll! Also I'm glad it functions via a key item and not an attack. Isn't that what we've always wanted to happen with HMs?

Also the fact they essentially replied "no comment" in regards to frontier made a red flag go up in my head. Obvious post game "surprise!" content/final big reveal before release. You actually think they would confirm a battle frontier in some interview? Yeah right.

I know it's early but my theoretical Mega Glalie set (presuming it IS HP 80 ATK 120 DEF 80 Sp.atk 120 Sp.def 80 Spd 100)
This is a minor complaint really, but gamefreak seems incapable of creating good ice types. Like the thought of viable ice types with good attack and 100+spd causes them physical pain or brain freeze something. That special attack boost seems useless unless it gets hyper voice, freeze dry and/or earthpower.

This is a minor complaint really, but gamefreak seems incapable of creating good ice types. Like the thought of viable ice types with good attack and 100+spd causes them physical pain or brain freeze something. That special attack boost seems useless unless it gets hyper voice, freeze dry and/or earthpower.
Um... Let's do a little Math. I'm using Weavile since he has the same ATK as Mega Glalie.

252+ Atk Refrigerate Weavile Explosion vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 313-369 (93.7 - 110.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Refrigerate Weavile Explosion vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 369-435 (104.8 - 123.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Refrigerate Weavile Explosion vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Deoxys-D: 282-333 (92.7 - 109.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

...How is this anything less that the biggest wall breaker suicide bomber?

Can we catch 5 IV pokemon with the dex nev ?
Yes of course. You can catch them in X/Y as well. The odds of it are astronomically low, but it can happen. I imagine that the whole 'potential' thing mentioned works a little like the IV judge in that you're told the Pokemon's overall potential, though perhaps not what its best stats are and just how good they are. And you may have to use a lot of Repeat Balls to catch lots of the same species before you can start determining their potential to catch one in the ball you really want to use.

Um... Let's do a little Math. I'm using Weavile since he has the same ATK as Mega Glalie.

252+ Atk Refrigerate Weavile Explosion vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 313-369 (93.7 - 110.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Refrigerate Weavile Explosion vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 369-435 (104.8 - 123.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Refrigerate Weavile Explosion vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Deoxys-D: 282-333 (92.7 - 109.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

So you're using Explosion, you also need Return for reliable STAB, you need Erfquake for Heatran, which leaves one slot and you'll probably want Ice Shard cause lol 100 speed.

At any rate we've already got Medicham/Gardevoir/Heracross as wallbreaking megas, not much reason to use a wall-breaking mega that can only do 1-to-1 trades (assuming the opponent doesn't have a bulky water.) It's also not like it's providing any defensive synergy above the others, or has any speed.

What he's saying is that its physical movepool is so much better that it will be using 100% physical attacks (barring something like a Hyper Voice or lol Boomburst tutor), so there are 40 useless stat points that went into Special Attack that could have gone into making it faster or bulkier.

Anyways, Glalie will be less a wallbreaker and more a Spike setter that can take out a lot of Defog users - even against the ones it can't OHKO it can prevent Defog with Explosion or Taunt.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I saw someone (here? elsewhere?) suggest that you probably use normal lati during the main game and then use mega lati so you can access the mirage stuff
You know I'm starting to think that you might be right about us being able to fly on a normal Eon Duo:

(We should hold a Caption Contest for some of these images they give us...)

You know I'm starting to think that you might be right about us being able to fly on a normal Eon Duo:

I really hope you can, because I've always wanted to :3
Also I'm not a huge fan of their Mega designs.

btw 200th post yay

That isn't necessarily what the suggestion was. The site says that Lati@s decides to befriend you over Steven mid-game, which is why you're capable of MEvoing them and not Steven. This shot is more than likely there just for showboating purposes in the demo.

Also:

entries are easy

I'll be your wingman anytime, Steven.

No, no, Steven this is not a good idea.
Sorry Brendan, but it's time to buzz the tower.

I'll hit the brakes, he'll fly right by.

You're everyone's problem. That's because every time you go up in the air, you're unsafe. I don't like you because you're dangerous.

Steven: I can see it's dangerous for you, but if the government trusts me, maybe you could.
Brendan: It takes a lot more than just fancy flying.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Now please tell me why should I sacrifice my Mega.

I mean. I lose a Glalie and the opponent loses a good pokémon, sure, but that's not enough.
Well I'd imagine you'd use Explosion once Glalie did everything it could and there's no doubt it'll be knocked out after the next move it could do.

However you have a point which I do think GameFreak sometimes forgets when designing a Mega Pokemon: You can only have one Mega Pokemon on your team. Every Mega Pokemon is competing with one another to be used and unless there's something that really makes it stand out there's no reason to use that Mega Pokemon (unless you're a fan of that Pokemon).

Also a few other things Serebii recently posted:

1. ORAS Story Guide will be coming with 3 QR codes that'll take you to secret bases of game developers which is kind of neat. Maybe help us get some ideas e could do with ours. ;)
2. ORAS Complete National Pokedex Guide will have a serial code for 2 Master Balls. *grumbles* Better be no roaming Pokemon, I can deal chucking Ultra/Dusk Balls at Legendaries that don't move but roamers are so annoying.
3. So far it only looks like Japan got Steelix. You don't think Japan gave themselves an exclusive Mega Evoltuion? Still hoping for Mega Braviary for US...

1. ORAS Story Guide will be coming with 3 QR codes that'll take you to secret bases of game developers which is kind of neat. Maybe help us get some ideas e could do with ours. ;)
2. ORAS Complete National Pokedex Guide will have a serial code for 2 Master Balls. *grumbles* Better be no roaming Pokemon, I can deal chucking Ultra/Dusk Balls at Legendaries that don't move but roamers are so annoying.
Well, Latis don't seem to be roaming any more, the weather trio are shown to be stationary, the other gen legends are in the clouds and I just cannot imagine the regis being roaming at all. So, uh... master balls for shinies I guess?

Now please tell me why should I sacrifice my Mega.

I mean. I lose a Glalie and the opponent loses a good pokémon, sure, but that's not enough.
Explosion is being way over-hyped. You realise Refrigerate Double Edge is almost exactly as powerful as Mega Heracross's Close Combat? Sure, it's not going to be a mainstream Mega choice, but if you need an absurdly powerful physical wallbreaker, M-Glalie could be a good option.

M-Pinsir is probably it's biggest rival, since it has similar coverage, poor defensive typing with a SR weakness, and attracts many of the same physical walls. M-Pinsir is faster and more powerful, sure, gets Close Combat, and can sweep. That said, M-Glalie's Ice typing helps it a lot against physical walls (since the most common ones in the meta are neutral or weak to Ice), and it's always threatening to go boom for an almost guaranteed OHKO. With the right sweeping partner, it's a serious threat.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
As someone from the UK who just played the demo, I can confirm that the UK Demo gets Mega Glalie.
Lucky Bastard. ;_;

Anyway, judging from that usagamer interview, post-game content sounds quite expansive. Makes me more hopefully that the battle frontier will indeed return. :)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Also, the second playthrough of the demo, which is your first chance to actually try out Mega Glalie and Mega Steelix, has you up against Hariyama and Meditite.
GG GF.
Well, Steelix will probably be able to take the hits, Glalie though... well, it can probably take on the Meditite at least. And maybe if you're lucky with Headbutt you can Flinch hax them (or freeze/flinch hax them with Ice Fang).

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
There there, bby... you'll either get a New Mega or Mega Steelix. Either we I got shafted with the shit one
I was moreso referring to you guy getting the demo. lol

Mega Glalie wouldn't be so bad design-wise if it wasn't for that gaping mouth thing it's doing. I actually kinda like it more than the M-Steelix. Combat wise...well, it's still an improvement over regular Glalie at the very least. lol

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Hey, does anyone think there's any significance to their levels? Steelix and Glalie are Level 40 (FUN FACT: Snorunt evolves to Glalie at Level 42) and being it's an Event Pokemon that means until you get the Dynamo Badge they won't listen to you (and if they go up a level they'll immediately start disobeying again until you get the Heat Badge). So do you think it could be a hint when you'll get the Mega Bangle? When your Pokemon should be around the 40s and getting the Dynamo/Heat Badge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)