Other ORAS Mega Speculation Thread (NO talk about potential bans NOR Aegislash)

Which is your favorite?

• Beedrill

Votes: 255 26.5%
  • Pidgeot

Votes: 119 12.3%
  • Slowbro

Votes: 86 8.9%
  • Steelix

Votes: 58 6.0%
  • Sceptile

Votes: 140 14.5%
  • Swampert

Votes: 120 12.4%
  • Sableye

Votes: 62 6.4%
  • Sharpedo

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Camerupt

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Altaria

Votes: 144 14.9%
  • Glalie

Votes: 79 8.2%
  • Salamence

Votes: 198 20.5%
  • Metagross

Votes: 164 17.0%
  • Latias

Votes: 50 5.2%
  • Latios

Votes: 54 5.6%
  • Loppuny

Votes: 125 13.0%
  • Gallade

Votes: 148 15.4%
  • Audino

Votes: 30 3.1%
  • Diancie

Votes: 74 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I probably have a higher rating than you do.

Sand is only a problem for offense if you run a hyper offense with nothing to handle heavy offense
What. SR Exca is one if the biggest teambuilding headaches for any kind of offensive team. There aren't many offensively based counters to SR Exca, Chesnaught is one of the few that comes to mind. Please don't use ladder rating to validate anything either. Idgaf if you're king of the OU ladder if your argument has holes.

Last edited:
It's pretty obvious to play sand rush nowadays lel. Anyways, your point wasn't really logical, chesnaught is never viable in offense and they are some ways to deal with Excadrill in offense, it's not the biggest pain in OU imo.

What. SR Exca is one if the biggest teambuilding headaches for any kind of offensive team. There aren't many offensively based counters to SR Exca, Chesnaught is one of the few that comes to mind. Please don't use ladder rating to validate anything either. Idgaf if you're king of the OU ladder if your argument has holes.

In Gen 5, yea. With only 5 turns of sand, it's not bad at all.

Offense doesnt rely upon counters as much as it does momentum, checks, pivots and/or tanks. Any good offensive team should have a way of dealing with (not necessarily counter) setup sweepers (SR Excadrill is practically in the category of setup sweeper). So, will there be an "offensive counter", probably not , and that's not what you really want anyway. On the other hand, Offensive teams can make use of pivots which can be hard counters/sacks

I only mentioned ladder because the other guy brought up personal experience. Ladder score does count for something since an understanding must be had to get to a score

Last edited:
it's probably posted already but,With all the stats and stuff out I think I can easily do a M-glalie set
@glalite
Jolly/Adamant
Refrigerate
252/252 attack/speed 4 defense
-Double Edge
-Earthquake
-Explosion
-Crunch/Return/Protect/Taunt(Filler slot)

I think the 3 moves above will be stample on any set of M-glalie
double edge would be priority since pure ice type with 80/80/80 defense won't taske many hits anyway he might as well deal the most damage possible.
Earthquake gives excellent coverage.
and Explosion would be his stample "take you with me" just beware of protects and substitutes.
The last slot can be anything since ice/ground combo is almost unresisted only some rotom forms,bronzorg and surkit resist the combo, that means that with crunch you get perfect coverage,Return might save you from recoil if it's not needed although it's 30 BP weaker (with all bonuses in mind),protect is useful on almost every mega who gets a speed boost,and in doubles it's kind of a must,so in doubles he will mostly use protect in the last slot. Taunt can always be useful,specially as protect kinda screw your finisher.

you can also put a special move there but you ned to give up on some sp.defense for that well it's an option but he doesn't have good special movepool.

in doubles he can be a real mind game "will he explode now?" "and now?" people will probably try to bait a protect from his partner so he doesn't explode next turn.
the only thing that can stop him is.. damp ability.. but who uses that?

Beedrill couldn't take the abuse from criticism anymore, so he found a dormant power inside of him, a power that comes in response to a need, not a desire, and transformed into a Super Saiyan.
the problem with beedrill is that he got 70 speed before he mega evolves he either must force a switch,outspeed or use protect to not be annilatted befor ehe even starts something my guess is that people will attemp to get fell stinger to kill something for a sweep.. if fell stinger was pursuit like it would be so powerful but people will just switch so he doesn't get that boost.

He looks really strong he has the smae attack stat as m-lucario with the same ability so he pack a punch indeed but his typing is way worse.
he probably will mega evolve and then spam U-turns..(need rapid spin or defog support) fell stinger is gimmicky.

the problem with beedrill is that he got 70 speed before he mega evolves he either must force a switch,outspeed or use protect to not be annilatted befor ehe even starts something my guess is that people will attemp to get fell stinger to kill something for a sweep.. if fell stinger was pursuit like it would be so powerful but people will just switch so he doesn't get that boost.

He looks really strong he has the smae attack stat as m-lucario with the same ability so he pack a punch indeed but his typing is way worse.
he probably will mega evolve and then spam U-turns..(need rapid spin or defog support) fell stinger is gimmicky.
Yeah, that's an issue. I feel like, despite that, he'll still be way to good for RU despite Fletchinder's presence. I can see him be a UU Pokemon just due to his sheer Attack and Speed, but he'll suffer to priority users.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

I'm just sayin but. Beedrill gets U-Turn and gets a free switch into a Lot of fairies and can regain momentum with said U-Turn. Stuff like Clefable, Sylveon or even the new Altaria won't want anything to do wih beedrill. Also he gets pursuit.

I mean, mega Luke had a base 90 speed pre mega, which, while not nearly as bad as base 70, was still pretty mediocre. All it took was one free turn and the game was pretty much GG. Not saying beedrill is at that level, but all he needs is one free turn...

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
A team with heavy hazard control just needs to run Protect/U-turn on Beedrill, because spamming Adaptability U-turns is just that good. Fill the rest with Knock Off and a secondary STAB or Tailwind or Drill Run (EDIT: or yeah, Pursuit, forgot about that one), as needed, and make sure you have defensive Rotom-W to eat priority attacks.

It's not going to be as meta-defining as some of these others, but it'll still be good.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
A team with heavy hazard control just needs to run Protect/U-turn on Beedrill, because spamming Adaptability U-turns is just that good. Fill the rest with Knock Off and a secondary STAB or Tailwind or Drill Run (EDIT: or yeah, Pursuit, forgot about that one), as needed, and make sure you have defensive Rotom-W to eat priority attacks.

It's not going to be as meta-defining as some of these others, but it'll still be good.
Tbh I don't really feel the need for protect in beedrill. U-Turn / Poison Jab / Knock Off | Pursuit / Drill Run is good enough for him. With a Jolly nature, Beedrill outspeeds most relevant defensive threats bar Mew, and even then Mew still takes a fuckton from adaptability U-Turn even if Beedrill gets burned.

Regardless, Poison jab and U-Turn are pretty much mandatory, as one of Beedrills main selling points is being able to single handedly take on any fairy type in the game (Klefki can suck a dick tho). Clef, Sylveon, and Altaria all fall to Poison Jab, which is enough reason in itself to run it. Things like Slowbro or even Mega Venusaur won't appreciate a U-Turn, and both are outsped by Jolly Beedrill pre evo. Protect isn't needed unless your team is really weak to offense, which honestly shouldn't be /too/ much of an issue for a well built team. Almost like Mega Pinsir in a sense.

tl;dr Protect isn't necessary unless HO teams crush your team. One free turn is all Beedrill needs.

Tbh I don't really feel the need for protect in beedrill. U-Turn / Poison Jab / Knock Off | Pursuit / Drill Run is good enough for him. With a Jolly nature, Beedrill outspeeds most relevant defensive threats bar Mew, and even then Mew still takes a fuckton from adaptability U-Turn even if Beedrill gets burned.

Regardless, Poison jab and U-Turn are pretty much mandatory, as one of Beedrills main selling points is being able to single handedly take on any fairy type in the game (Klefki can suck a dick tho). Clef, Sylveon, and Altaria all fall to Poison Jab, which is enough reason in itself to run it. Things like Slowbro or even Mega Venusaur won't appreciate a U-Turn, and both are outsped by Jolly Beedrill pre evo. Protect isn't needed unless your team is really weak to offense, which honestly shouldn't be /too/ much of an issue for a well built team. Almost like Mega Pinsir in a sense.

tl;dr Protect isn't necessary unless HO teams crush your team. One free turn is all Beedrill needs.
Which pokemon can't bedrill cover with those moves? poison/bug/dark/ground sems like a good coverage.

Skarmory comes into mind.

Also, birdspam is proliferating quickly. OU got MMence, and, more importantly, UU with Pidgeot. We need Bird Absorber as a new ability in X2Y2.
PLS GF MAKE IT HAPFEN

Skarmory comes into mind.

Also, birdspam is proliferating quickly. OU got MMence, and, more importantly, UU with Pidgeot. We need Bird Absorber as a new ability in X2Y2.
PLS GF MAKE IT HAPFEN
neutrally hit by dark.. but pursuit is kidna weak so for better coverage maybe knock off is better?
well there are steel types :P

252+ Atk Adaptability Beedrill U-turn vs. 212 HP / 252 Def Rhyperior: 124-146 (29.2 - 34.4%) -- 99.8% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

You know, against a Rhyperior...that's a lot of damage.

Last edited:
The lack of new moves is a letdown for Pidgeot, but it still looks plenty solid. It's shockingly similar to Tornadus-T, really, which is good because Torn is plenty useful (B+ in UU and OU, banned from RU) but bad because now Torn is competition. M-Pidgeot doesn't have Regenerator, Superpower, Grass Knot, or an item, but perfectly accurate Hurricane is really quite good. We learned that last gen during Torn's Drizzle run. Heat Wave means it isn't left high and dry, and then you have Hidden Power, U-turn, and Roost to round out the set. I'm concerned about it's ability to distinguish itself since it takes the Mega Slot, but there's no argument that if Pidgeot can do what Torn does, it has fared well for improvements. The stats turned out pretty great, and at least it does have a definable niche.

252+ Atk Adaptability Beedrill U-turn vs. 212 HP / 252 Def Rhyperior: 124-146 (29.2 - 34.4%) -- 99.8% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

You know, for a resisted hit...that's a lot of damage.
it's not resisted it's neutral :O
you used the modified stat? since it says beedrill you need to up +60 base attack.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Ignoring the obviously broken Mence, the Pokemon I see the most potential in here would have to be Metagross, Slowbro, Gallade, and Latias. Now before I start on why these mons seem so good to me, I want to make sure everyone realizes that EVERY Pokemon here looks viable. Every single mega outside of Banette and Aboma are at least "OK" in OU right now, and these Megas all seem better than those two with the exception of maybe Camerupt. So I would watch out for all of these. Anyway, the Pokemon I listed all seem to have the most potential. Metagross gets Tough Claws and 145 attack, which hopefully will help to mitigate the low BP of his moves. 110 Spe is better than he could have hoped for, and it has ridiculous bulk, which makes it perfect for a bulky offense metagame. Agility, SR all out attacker, and regular 4 attacks all seem like they might be effective sets. Slowbro is probably the only other one I can see being immediately broken besides Salamence. RestTalk sets or even just Rest CM 2 attacks can be fucking devastating. With that much bulk, not much is going to be breaking through it, especially with no crits. Can see this easily being too much for OU. Niggas seriously be sleeping on Gallade. That thing has 110 Spe, 165 atk, SD, priority, powerful STABs, and Knock Off. There is almost no way I can see that thing not being at least A. Finally, Latias has bulk for days, Calm Mind, Roost, and decent power to back it up. Can easily see thisbeing a good Bulky offense sweeper, as well as a great Defogger for offensive teams, being able to tank hits for the rest of the team and support with Defog.

And you know what a lot of these megas share a weakness to? Bisharp. Very much expect this thing to become one of the most used Pokemon in ORAS OU. Sucker Punch can deal with the many new Psychics, as well as shit like Beedrill if that becomes popular. Also this: 252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 140-166 (35.5 - 42.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO is fucking disgusting.

Also keeping an eye on Sceptile and Sharpedo, which I think have great potential as well.

About sharpedo.. you need to wait one turn to get the sped boost or you can mega evolve and get the speed boost anyway?

BTW I think I am gonna make a team of pokemon who can mega evolve and yet none of them goes mega XD

About sharpedo.. you need to wait one turn to get the sped boost or you can mega evolve and get the speed boost anyway?

BTW I think I am gonna make a team of pokemon who can mega evolve and yet none of them goes mega XD
You have to wait a turn before mega evolving. But this allows you to run an Adamant nature because you outspeed almost everything after a single boost.

The problem I have with Mega Sharpedo's pre-Mega speed boost strategy is what would happen to it if it's forced out, whether if it's a manual switch or via phasing move. Once it's Mega Sharpedo, it loses speed boost, and if it's running a neutral speed nature, you're going to be slower than a lot of things in OU. You're pretty much required to stay in once you get the speed boosts on Mega Sharpedo :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)