Other ORAS Mega Speculation Thread (NO talk about potential bans NOR Aegislash)

Which is your favorite?

• Beedrill

Votes: 255 26.5%
  • Pidgeot

Votes: 119 12.3%
  • Slowbro

Votes: 86 8.9%
  • Steelix

Votes: 58 6.0%
  • Sceptile

Votes: 140 14.5%
  • Swampert

Votes: 120 12.4%
  • Sableye

Votes: 62 6.4%
  • Sharpedo

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Camerupt

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Altaria

Votes: 144 14.9%
  • Glalie

Votes: 79 8.2%
  • Salamence

Votes: 198 20.5%
  • Metagross

Votes: 164 17.0%
  • Latias

Votes: 50 5.2%
  • Latios

Votes: 54 5.6%
  • Loppuny

Votes: 125 13.0%
  • Gallade

Votes: 148 15.4%
  • Audino

Votes: 30 3.1%
  • Diancie

Votes: 74 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Steel types called MSteelix, not weak to Ground and that resist U-Turn.
Yeah, the list is short... Ferro and Zong are excluded.

The problem I have with Mega Sharpedo's pre-Mega speed boost strategy is what would happen to it if it's forced out, whether if it's a manual switch or via phasing move. Once it's Mega Sharpedo, it loses speed boost, and if it's running a neutral speed nature, you're going to be slower than a lot of things in OU. You're pretty much required to stay in once you get the speed boosts on Mega Sharpedo :/
I actually like this fact. You gotta plan how you use your sharpedo, cant just toss him in.

Last edited:
I can see Toxic Spikes rising in usage (defining 'rising in usage' as the following: i'll be using it) to provide a Mega Slowbro deterrent. And since it uses up the mega slot, that means the two most prominent Poison types, Mega Venusaur and (probably) Mega Beedrill, will never be seen alongside it.

The lack of new moves is a letdown for Pidgeot, but it still looks plenty solid. It's shockingly similar to Tornadus-T, really, which is good because Torn is plenty useful (B+ in UU and OU, banned from RU) but bad because now Torn is competition. M-Pidgeot doesn't have Regenerator, Superpower, Grass Knot, or an item, but perfectly accurate Hurricane is really quite good. We learned that last gen during Torn's Drizzle run. Heat Wave means it isn't left high and dry, and then you have Hidden Power, U-turn, and Roost to round out the set. I'm concerned about it's ability to distinguish itself since it takes the Mega Slot, but there's no argument that if Pidgeot can do what Torn does, it has fared well for improvements. The stats turned out pretty great, and at least it does have a definable niche.
Don't forget Defog. It's not Knock Off, but with that speed and Roost, it could be a dangerous Defogger. Something like:

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Tangled Feet
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Defog
- Roost

This differentiates it from Tornadus-T, as it has one of the fastest Defogs in the game. This, plus access to Roost and 100% accurate Hurricane coming from base-135 SpA makes this a dangerous threat.

I myself consider very difficult to especulate about M-Salamence, i think that he's another "charizard-X", maybe S+ tier but i don't think it deservers Ubers (and if u consider the shifts in meta that are yet to come...)

I can see Toxic Spikes rising in usage (defining 'rising in usage' as the following: i'll be using it) to provide a Mega Slowbro deterrent. And since it uses up the mega slot, that means the two most prominent Poison types, Mega Venusaur and (probably) Mega Beedrill, will never be seen alongside it.
Except M-Bro would probably carry RestTalk for that very reason, to eat up status like no tomorrow.

The price of champagne doubled in my area, and I realized why: Gallade gets both Quick AND Wide Guard. I didn't know the VGC guys could drink so much @_@

but seriously... 110 Speed, while not blazing fast, I think it's enough to differentiate itself from MegaCham. It also gets Electrivire-level coverage, backed by an impressive 165 attack. I mean, seriously, you guys are just sleeping on his blades. (inb4 nobody actually uses him until I make a RMT with it)

Florges is no longer outclassed by Sylveon. It is now outclassed by the pink blobs.

Except M-Bro would probably carry RestTalk for that very reason, to eat up status like no tomorrow.

The price of champagne doubled in my area, and I realized why: Gallade gets both Quick AND Wide Guard. I didn't know the VGC guys could drink so much @_@

but seriously... 110 Speed, while not blazing fast, I think it's enough to differentiate itself from MegaCham. It also gets Electrivire-level coverage, backed by an impressive 165 attack. I mean, seriously, you guys are just sleeping on his blades. (inb4 nobody actually uses him until I make a RMT with it)

Florges is no longer outclassed by Sylveon. It is now outclassed by the pink blobs.
Well it depends on weather a bit and sandstorm is kinda popular (more like tyranitar is popular) but I get why it's strong I guess now florges can run both aromatheraphy and toxic or maybe another offense move (though it got crappy offense movepool... energy ball?) if it got earth power or shadow ball then a CM set would be decent.
anyway running both toxic and armatherapy is really awesome so it's not a set up bait anymore :D.
Well as long as you are'nt against a steel type.

Last edited:
Words cannot describe the fury that I have in me that Defog is (seemingly) not a tutor move in these games. After its buff this generation, it still is only readily accessible in Generation freakin Four. I mean, come on Gamefreak....

Maybe it'll be a TM/HM...? Maybe there'll be a different way to get it...? Maybe it'll be added to more egg moves...? But please Arceus let me be able to get Defog onto something Kalos/ORAS native other than freakin Mandi and Crobat........

EDIT: @ below quote, I said Kalos/ORAS native. That way I can more reliably use them online and with competitions and all that crap. I want that stupid blue hexagon. But than you for the advice. I've RNG'd myself for a while now.

From a competitive view, Mega Beedrill has to be the coolest mega evolution yet and is a prime example of the type of pokemon that deserve mega evolutions. It's not strong enough to be overpowered or become uncompetitive when it mega evolves, it recieves an excellent ability, and it has a decent, usable movepool. Beedrill can boost its own offensive capabilities with Swords Dance or Agility or even provide team support by passing boost with Baton Pass or by setting up Toxic Spikes. I'm hype for ORAS RU or UU, wherever Beedrill lands.
Mega Beedril in RU? What are you smoking?

Words cannot describe the fury that I have in me that Defog is (seemingly) not a tutor move in these games. After its buff this generation, it still is only readily accessible in Generation freakin Four. I mean, come on Gamefreak....

Maybe it'll be a TM/HM...? Maybe there'll be a different way to get it...? Maybe it'll be added to more egg moves...? But please Arceus let me be able to get Defog onto something Kalos/ORAS native other than freakin Mandi and Crobat........
The best advice I have is to just breed non-Defog things in 6th gen and trade with people who can manipulate RNG in gen 4. Or learn RNG manipulation yourself. It's annoying but there are only a couple viable Defoggers anyway.

Steel types called MSteelix, not weak to Ground and that resist U-Turn.
Yeah, the list is short... Ferro and Zong are excluded.
If we're talking about shit to take care of beedrill... the list isn't that short. Skarmory, Ferrothron, Scizor-mega are all OU counters to this thing. Aggron-mega shouldn't have an issue with unboosted drill run and recall mega metagross will be just fine taking this thing even as an all out attacker. But that's just steel types... another very good defensive typing takes Beedrill down: Ground/Flying. Landorus, Gliscor both will have their way with Beedrill and we know how good both of them are at taking physical threats. Also to mention, Aerodactyl-mega will resist both stabs as well.

Realistically, Beedrill is getting overhyped... It has so many clearcut checks/counters because bug/poison is still not a fantastic stab combination.

If it's RestTalk, you've only got to worry about walling one move. If it's not, you can poison it. I'm okay with that.
Yes. And then again, Water/Psychic is not a good active defensive typing like water. Its a good reactive defensive typing, just like Steel/Fire (Heatran)

g2g now, ill explain later on what i mean by that. My conclusion so far by theorymoning is that M-Slowbro is huge, but not broken. Theorymonning is not always right tho... see Scarf Gengar 2 years ago.

Don't forget Defog. It's not Knock Off, but with that speed and Roost, it could be a dangerous Defogger. Something like:

Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Tangled Feet
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- Defog
- Roost

This differentiates it from Tornadus-T, as it has one of the fastest Defogs in the game. This, plus access to Roost and 100% accurate Hurricane coming from base-135 SpA makes this a dangerous threat.
Oh. I had forgotten about Defog. That's actually really good utility since M-Pidgeot isn't going to be using attacks beyond Hurricane and Heat Wave. That type of set might actually be enough to make him stand out. Clearing hazards fast can be huge, and a high-power risk-free STAB with confusion chance is nothing to trifle with.

+2 252+ Atk Mega Gallade (165 Atk) Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro (180 Def): 176-208 (44.6 - 52.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Damn this thing is going to be nuts after a swords dance.

If we're talking about shit to take care of beedrill... the list isn't that short. Skarmory, Ferrothron, Scizor-mega are all OU counters to this thing. Aggron-mega shouldn't have an issue with unboosted drill run and recall mega metagross will be just fine taking this thing even as an all out attacker. But that's just steel types... another very good defensive typing takes Beedrill down: Ground/Flying. Landorus, Gliscor both will have their way with Beedrill and we know how good both of them are at taking physical threats. Also to mention, Aerodactyl-mega will resist both stabs as well.

Realistically, Beedrill is getting overhyped... It has so many clearcut checks/counters because bug/poison is still not a fantastic stab combination.
The best thing about mega beedrill is its strong uturn. Best thing about it

beedrill doesn't even has good stabs, poison jab? X-scizors? meh

Ferro cant really absorb u-turns. At all.

Guys, U-TURN.

Granted, she is SR weak, but still... fast strong u-turns are usually really really useful in a hazard control oriented offensive team.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
But that's just steel types... another very good defensive typing takes Beedrill down: Ground/Flying. Landorus, Gliscor both will have their way with Beedrill and we know how good both of them are at taking physical threats. Also to mention, Aerodactyl-mega will resist both stabs as well.
Yeah...

-1 252+ Atk Beedrill Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Landorus-T: 67-79 (17.5 - 20.6%) -- possible 7HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Beedrill Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 244 HP / 28+ Def Gliscor: 95-112 (26.9 - 31.8%) -- possible 5HKO after Poison Heal
252+ Atk Adaptability Beedrill X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Mega Aggron: 46-55 (13.3 - 15.9%) -- possible 7HKO
252+ Atk Beedrill Drill Run vs. 252 HP / 16+ Def Filter Mega Aggron: 69-82 (20 - 23.8%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
252+ Atk Beedrill Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 73-87 (21.8 - 26%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Adaptability Beedrill X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 144-170 (40.9 - 48.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Hell, even Scizor counters it:

252+ Atk Beedrill Knock Off vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 87-103 (30.9 - 36.6%) -- 64.2% chance to 3HKO

Ferro cant really absorb u-turns. At all.
252+ Atk Adaptability Beedrill U-turn vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 126-150 (35.7 - 42.6%) -- 93.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Yeah, it can. It takes a significant amount of damage, but Beedrill takes Iron Barbs damage, and Ferro can set up a layer of hazards which will again, inflict more damage to Beedrill.

Tutor moves: http://pastebin.com/8rbu6Fmp
New level up moves: http://pastebin.com/vJX9K9ni

Some notable things:
Gyarados now gets crunch
Florges now has synthesis to differentiate itself from sylveon
Chesnaught gets drain punch
Physical greninja now has a bigger movepool
Delphox continues to have no moves
Diggersby's movepool is now ridiculously big
Slurpuff now has drain punch so its belly drum unburden set isn't completely walled by steels
Pangoro now has a much better movepool
Hawlucha now gets drain punch and superpower if you don't like HJK, as well as a bunch of other neat moves
Tyrantrum now has superpower and outrage
Diancie now has earth power
I was really, really hoping for a wish move tutor, gosh dang it GF, I want wish chansey IRL!

*edit*

Mew has trick now, definitely worth noting

Agonist said:
252+ Atk Adaptability Beedrill U-turn vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 126-150 (35.7 - 42.6%) -- 93.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Yeah, it can. It takes a significant amount of damage, but Beedrill takes Iron Barbs damage, and Ferro can set up a layer of hazards which will again, inflict more damage to Beedrill.
Or just attack Beedrill with Gyro Ball and take at least 66% of HP.

I'm the only one which thinks there is too much megas for only one slot per team.

Personally I like Mega Salamence / Diancie / Altaria and Hoopa (specially if the last one finally can use an item).

Not sure about Beedrill, their bulk is just dumb, Stealth Rock weakness and slow af with no mega for offensive mon I guess can use Protect but still is predictable and then is losing Knock Off/SD or Drill Run, walled by Skarm/Gliscor/Land-T/Mega-Scizor tho

Nobody is overhyping beedrill. It will hardly be meta defining lol, but I think people are just happy that a pokemon as garbage as beedrill will actually get a niche in OU.
Quite a few common OU pokemon wall it to hell and back, it falls to the vast majority of priority moves because lmao 65 hp and 40 def and on top of that it has a SR weakness. There's also the opportunity cost side of things now with so many great (and better) mega pokemon being released along side it. However, base 145 speed and 150 atk with adaptability is pretty damn sweet, even with a pretty mediocre STAB combo.

Yeah it already has very obvious issues in OU and it'll definitely require a good amount of support to function (might actually be UU, not sure though because those offensive stats are impressive) but the fact that we're even speaking about beedrill in OU/UU is awesome.

So what do you guys think about mega gross? Obviously it and salamence will be top tier and probably the most common megas, but if (or when) salamence goes to ubers it will be all about that computer. 145 attack with tough claws, bulky as shit, fast as hell... too much for OU? Or just S tier? Obviously we can't know for sure yet but I'm just curious as to what others think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)