Other ORAS Mega Speculation Thread (NO talk about potential bans NOR Aegislash)

Which is your favorite?

• Beedrill

Votes: 255 26.5%
  • Pidgeot

Votes: 119 12.3%
  • Slowbro

Votes: 86 8.9%
  • Steelix

Votes: 58 6.0%
  • Sceptile

Votes: 140 14.5%
  • Swampert

Votes: 120 12.4%
  • Sableye

Votes: 62 6.4%
  • Sharpedo

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Camerupt

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Altaria

Votes: 144 14.9%
  • Glalie

Votes: 79 8.2%
  • Salamence

Votes: 198 20.5%
  • Metagross

Votes: 164 17.0%
  • Latias

Votes: 50 5.2%
  • Latios

Votes: 54 5.6%
  • Loppuny

Votes: 125 13.0%
  • Gallade

Votes: 148 15.4%
  • Audino

Votes: 30 3.1%
  • Diancie

Votes: 74 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ignoring the actual discussion about the 3 potential Ubers and the others megas ,Mega Sharpedo could be a solid pick for OU teams.

At the first glance the offensive stat incerase might be a dissapointing,considering that Life Orb provides a more powerful boost to every move that is not affected by Strong Jaw.
On top of this, only 2 usable moves in Sharpedos arsenal are boosted throught the new ability: Crunch and Ice Fang.So moves like Waterfall and coverage are weaker compared to the Life orb Set.
It also losses Speed Boost once it has evolved and the speed incerase is to low for a sweep,so it has most likely only one try for a sweep.
You realise here that Strong Jaw is a 50% boost,which turns Crunch in a 100% accurate 120BP(180 factoring in Stab bonus) Dark move with no drawbacks.
On the defensive side Sharpedo gains enough bulk to take every priority hit exept Talonflames CB Brave Bird and Mach Punch.It also can take also weaker resisted attacks without suffering huge amouts of damage.
So basically Mega Sharpedo deals with two major flaws which held the regular form down.
1.Lack of an powerful stab wich erodes it attacking power despite it 120+ base attack
2.Gerneral fragility thanks to Life Orb Recoil and nonexistant bulk.

That being said it still has some problems so it wont be meta defining like some other introduced Megas.

Reserved for calcs.
Hey just to add to your post, sharpedo actually gets poison fang via level up in OR/AS so it actually has 3 moves that it can use with strong jaw. :)

ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, i present to you:

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 28 SpD / 232 Spe
Careful Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Refresh
- Roost
- Return
refreshmence! i was thinking of ways to stop mega bro, and then i realized salamence gets refresh via xd. now i realize that this set may be mediocre(actually maybe even kinda bad)outside of countering slowbro, but stopping slowbro is too great to ignore. now, salamence counters slowbro, what can it do back? dd right in its face. the given speed evs outspeed garchomp predd, and it can boost again because it tanks outrages. but seriously, the stop to crobro is here.

Posting some wtf sets:

Mega Lopunny:

Mega Lopunny
252 Atk/252 Spe/6 HP
Jolly Nature
Scrappy

-Substitute
-Power up Punch
-Drain Punch
-Return

Substitute to block status and easing prediction, PuP to raise attack, Drain Punch to recover health, Return as the STAB of choice to hurt things. Yeah, pretty simple.

Mega Lopunny
252 Atk/252 Spe/6 HP
Jolly Nature
Scrappy

-Hi Jump Kick
-Return
-Power-up Punch/ Cosmic Power
Baton Pass

You only need two attacks to get perfect coverage, and Hi Jump Kick/Return are pretty powerful ones. PuP raises attack, Cosmic Power raises defense. Either can be BPed for something else to enjoy, or used for personal purposes (Cosmic Power to ease opponents attacks, PuP to make yours stronger).

Mega Lopunny
252 Atk/252 Spe/6 HP
Jolly Nature
Scrappy

-Hi Jump Kick
-Last Resort

lol, start with Hi Jump Kick and smash things with Last Resort right after. It can actually work!

Or not

Mega Beedrill

Mega Beedrill
252 atk/252 spe/6 hp
Jolly nature
Adaptability

-Fury Cutter
-U-Turn
-Drill Run
-Poison Jab/Knock Off

this one is a joke... somewhat. Mega Bee is hilariously tailored to abuse this shitty move, so why not. The second Fury Cutter is going to be strong with Adaptability (and Mega Bee has the speed to abuse it), and the third one is undeniably strong (we're talking about something close to 200 BP BEFORE STAB). But Bug is shitty as a attacking type, so yeah it's hard to keep spamming it. Might work late game, when U-Turn isn't going to be that useful.

Mega Gallade

Mega Gallade
252 atk/252 spe/6 hp
Jolly Nature
Inner Focus

-Will-o-Wisp/ Destiny Bond
-Swords Dance/Psycho Cut
-Close Combat
-Knock Off/ Ice Punch

A mix of attacker and utility poke. A fast Will-o-Wisp user is always welcome; as does Destiny Bond when it's job is done. Swords Dance to smash shit with Close Combat, and one attack depending of what you want to hit.

Mega Gallade
252 HP/252 spe/6 Atk
Jolly Nature
Inner Focus

-Substitute/ Will-o-Wisp
-Bulk Up
-Drain Punch
-Knock Off

Speedy BU user with a healing attack that can possibly burn and take away the opponent's items? Hell yeah! Substitute might be better though, but Will-o-Wisp has it's uses.

tired now

ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, i present to you:

Salamence @ Salamencite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 28 SpD / 232 Spe
Careful Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Refresh
- Roost
- Return
refreshmence! i was thinking of ways to stop mega bro, and then i realized salamence gets refresh via xd. now i realize that this set may be mediocre(actually maybe even kinda bad)outside of countering slowbro, but stopping slowbro is too great to ignore. now, salamence counters slowbro, what can it do back? dd right in its face. the given speed evs outspeed garchomp predd, and it can boost again because it tanks outrages. but seriously, the stop to crobro is here.
Can't it just run ice beam or setup on you?

After running through most of the comments in this threat what I can say is that most of you people are under-estimating Mega Slowbro's prowess. Its probably the best switch in to Megamence (which ppl are so afraid of), it can set up calm mind easily on any non super effective physical attacker, moreover it isn't one shot by anything anymore (not even mega heracross!). 180 Defense + Calm Mind is strong people... S rank at least (to not imply a test...)

After running through most of the comments in this threat what I can say is that most of you people are under-estimating Mega Slowbro's prowess. Its probably the best switch in to Megamence (which ppl are so afraid of), it can set up calm mind easily on any non super effective physical attacker, moreover it isn't one shot by anything anymore (not even mega heracross!). 180 Defense + Calm Mind is strong people... S rank at least (to not imply a test...)
252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Bullet Seed (4 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 344-404 (87.3 - 102.5%) -- approx. 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

LO Breloom says hi.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
I would just like to point out that for quite a few months now there's been stuff floating around about the 30% boost that -ate abilities give, and how it was "just a bug" in XY and will be "fixed" in ORAS. Is anyone with the demo able to test this? If not, this should be one of the first few things that are tested when the games are released, as if this rumor ends up being true, it could make many things far more manageable.

244 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Salamence: 270-328 (81.3 - 98.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Aerilate Salamence Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mamoswine: 283-334 (78.8 - 93%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I think it might be OHKO after Life Orb damage.
So Mamoswine can't even beat a full HP Mega Salamence 1v1 even with Priority!

I'd just like to point out that getting all hyped up about certain megas and their implications for the metagame to the point of "omg quickban nopelol" is called a bias, and will affect the outcome of any suspects for these guys should they come. Just my two cents.

As for actual thoughts on the megas themselves, I'm personally pretty excited about M-Diggerslady and M-Sceptile, and am looking forward to running them with doubledance Lando-T and DD Gyarados, respectively. M-Sable looks great and like he will fit onto a lot of teams very well. Also very much looking forward to Megagross, looks very fun and pretty much the exact stat spread I expected also tough claws 105 spatk grass knot.

And can we please get these guys data input in to PS so we can run them in custom games

I'ma establish the Mega Beedrill Set

Offensive Pivot
252Atk/4Def/252Spe
Jolly/Adamant (Jolly preferred)
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run
- Protect/Knock off (I'm actually convinced protect will be preferred, unless your team has a lot of twavers or something)

Sweeper
252Atk/4Def/252Spe
Jolly
- Swords Dance
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run
- Knock Off/X-Scissors (Bug is resisted by p much everything)

Remove priority & sweep :).

Jeer at me if I messed up on this.
Beedrill @ Beedrillinite
Sniper
Jolly
252 Atk/80 Def/176 Spe
~U-Turn
~Drill Run
~Poison Jab
~Knock Off/X-Scissor/Protect

Better pivot. You only need 176+ Spe for MMan, who is a great benchmark, so the extra 80 EVs can be pumped into Def to take priority better.

Can they do that? Not that nintendo pay attention to anything smogon does, but I imagined the guys in charge would get into trouble for implementing features of a game that's not even released yet.

If this isn't the case then please go ahead and add the data in because I am desperate to try out these new megas lol.

Can they do that? Not that nintendo pay attention to anything smogon does, but I imagined the guys in charge would get into trouble for implementing features of a game that's not even released yet.

If this isn't the case then please go ahead and add the data in because I am desperate to try out these new megas lol.
Volcanion, Hoopa, and both Mega-Lati data are all already in, so yes, I assume so.

The more I look at Mega-Beedrill, the more I see it as more underwhelming. Due to its rather limited movepool, it will be using U-Turn almost all the time... but what's the point of spamming U-Turn when it cannot switch into anything? It's like a momentum grabber that cannot actually grab momentum...

I'd just like to point out that getting all hyped up about certain megas and their implications for the metagame to the point of "omg quickban nopelol" is called a bias, and will affect the outcome of any suspects for these guys should they come. Just my two cents.

As for actual thoughts on the megas themselves, I'm personally pretty excited about M-Diggerslady and M-Sceptile, and am looking forward to running them with doubledance Lando-T and DD Gyarados, respectively. M-Sable looks great and like he will fit onto a lot of teams very well. Also very much looking forward to Megagross, looks very fun and pretty much the exact stat spread I expected also tough claws 105 spatk grass knot.

And can we please get these guys data input in to PS so we can run them in custom games
Anyone think Mega Metagross and Mega Slowbro will be OU
Megagross yes, but Slowbro is a bit iffy...

The more I look at Mega-Beedrill, the more I see it as more underwhelming. Due to its rather limited movepool, it will be using U-Turn almost all the time... but what's the point of spamming U-Turn when it cannot switch into anything? It's like a momentum grabber that cannot actually grab momentum...
Don't forget the SR weakness lol.
Due to its movepool and bulk it should be UU, but its so fast and strong that maybe it'd be too good for UU. I imagine it will see heavy use at the beginning but probably settle down in BL.

Beedrill
Ability: Sniper
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- X-Scissor
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- Drill Run

I see Mega Beedrill being UU or BL2, since with boosted atk and speed, and adaptability, this thing is going to hit hard. I wanted it to be OU, but with Skarmory running around, I doubt that is likely. Though with nice coverage with Knock Off, Drill Run, Brick Break, and Aerial Ace, it is able to hit bulky Pokemon decently hard.

Glalie
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Explosion
- Return
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard/Taunt

I see Mega Glalie however, being UU or BL, with a STAB Explosion that hits basically everything decently hard, and everything that it doesn't hit hard, it has Earthquake for.

Altaria
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Spe / 8 Atk / 248 SpA
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Earthquake

Too bad this thing was overshadowed by Mega Lopunnyand the massive amount of Rule 34 with it, this thing has serious potential. With Pixilate, this thing's Hyper Voice is going to hit like a truck, and with STAB Draco, Fire Blast for Skarmory and Ferrothorn, and Earthquake for Heatran, this thing is going to be a good wallbreaker. Definitely OU or BL.

Camerupt
Ability: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Rock Slide (Did not realize Stone Edge wasn't Sheer Force boosted)
- Roar/Hidden Power Grass

RU or UU, this thing's speed and typing is going to be the death of it. Too many water and ground types running around, but with Sheer Force, it is still going to hit pretty dang hard.

These are just my favorite new megas so far, and I'm sure I will put my opinion on more of them.
Nice post but a few nitpicks. I feel Mega Beedrill has a major niche as being the only decent user of fell stinger which imo should be abused- especially in the early days of ORAS when not many people know what fell stinger is. Probably replace knock off. (Btw in the trailer did mega beedrill use megahorn or was it my imagination?)

The other sets look nice and powerful though Glalie's nature might be more advantageous as jolly mabye?

Also I'm with flamebot on Mega Slowbro will be OU. He's pretty much a Crocune which is more bulky and can't be crited. It's going to be so annoying.

Mega Lati twins, Volcanion and others have had their data input for forever. Like, since we've known about their stats forever.

244 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Salamence: 270-328 (81.3 - 98.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Aerilate Salamence Return vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mamoswine: 283-334 (78.8 - 93%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I think it might be OHKO after Life Orb damage.
So Mamoswine can't even beat a full HP Mega Salamence 1v1 even with Priority!
You're forgetting the -1 Mamoswine would take if it was base form Mence...

Full defensive mence survives a CB adamant mamo Ice crash with mence's intimidate boost. I know people say don't get over hypes, but we're really not... The end result is written on the walls. It's basically just a question of how fast we deal with it.

My thoughts. These assume no major Move Tutor surprises etc.

Godly:
Salamence: It was good of Nintendo to only go with +10 Attack. Conventional Dragon counters like Azumarill and Clefable do not have the sheer bulk needed to take it on. Definitely the best candidate for a ban.

Btw, you can beat this defensively. Look back at gen 4. Physically defensive Porygon2 and Cresselia will still take this on nicely like they did back then. Porygon2 Traces Intimidate, then Thunder Waves and Ice Beams. Likewise Cresselia can easily beat it with the combination of Thunder Wave and Ice Beam. Offensively this Pokemon alone will keep Prankster Thundurus relevant as an S rank mon. Other offensive mons that do well in Salamence's metagame are Landorus-T (as usual) and Mamoswine.

Slowbro: The bulk makes Crocune look frail. Shell Armor, protection from Knock Off and a good movepool are even better. Great news for stall but this will fit any team. Status will be one of the best ways to beat this, but a RestTalk set would probably be surprisingly effective for that reason.

Excellent:
Sharpedo: Why is there not more hype for this? Speed Boost is pretty much the best base form ability there is. Protect can be used to grab boosts and ensure a safe transition. After one speed boost and mega evolution, a Sharpedo using Crunch will be effectively +1 Atk and Spe. Faster than nearly all Choice Scarfers with the power of a Choice Banded Crunch. This is effectively a Pokemon that gets a free Dragon Dance just by using Protect. Sharpedo had 2 obvious problems: lack of power, and frailty leading to extreme vulnerability to priority. Now it has way more power and more bulk, with nice resistances to Aqua Jet, Ice Shard (which will become more relevant with Mamoswines everywhere) and Sucker Punch. Poison Fang can get it past Azumarill or Aqua Jet can get it past Talonflame. Right now this is looking like a faster and stronger Greninja(!).

Audino: Easily the most physically bulky Fairy with a great support movepool. 103/126/126 is significantly bulkier than even the likes of Mega Venusaur. Shame about the ability, but stats alone justify its use, and it can still abuse Regenerator if Mega evolution isn't necessary.

Altaria: Combines two of the best types in the game with a solid ability and tons of versatility. Stats and movepool can make it offensive or defensive and it's one of the few that switch into both Charizards.

Swampert: So many fast Megas will encourage lots of Thundurus use, and Swampert is like a better Swift Swim Seismitoad that can take any priority, so it could easily pay off. Probably will become a rain staple.

Decent:
Lopunny: Fast and powerful so it will be good against offence, but like many similar Pokemon it has trouble with switching in, Thundurus, Landorus-T and Talonflame.

Beedrill: Already overrated, this is comparable to some weird hybrid of Mega Manectric and Life Orb Scolipede. In the same way that Scoli hasn't taken the meta by storm, this won't either. It is just too easily walled by already common Pokemon like Scizor, Gliscor and Landorus-T. It is also easily brought down by priority and unlike Mega Manectric, doesn't exploit the presence of Thundurus and Talonflame. Extremely powerful U-turn will be the only reason to choose this above the other options.

Sceptile: Pair this with DD SubBounce Gyarados. This Pokemon is there to exploit overreliance on Thundurus and Rotom-Wash. Unfortunately it will just encourage more use of Talonflame and Mamoswine though. It will generally need the Lightning Rod boost to really stand out so it's a bit situational.

Metagross: Good stats, but 110 Speed is already really overcrowded and it's not as strong as it could have been. Its lack of high BP moves actually makes it weaker than Charizard X on average. At least it's balanced.

Gallade: Same Speed as Metagross but way harder to bring in. Offensively a lot more versatile though. Lack of interesting ability is disappointing.

Unspectacular/Bad:
Diancie: Scizor used Bullet Punch! At least it helps with Talonflame.

Sableye: Still too frail, Magic Bounce bothers stall but it's so easily exploited by Zard, Talonflame etc. just like it was already.

Steelix: It needs Coil and recovery or it's just going to be another Mega Aggron.

Pidgeot: Not really seeing what makes this much better than Noivern or Tornadus. Difficult to bring in, not that powerful, not even that fast by Mega standards. It has to get Focus Blast or common Pokemon like Tyranitar and Heatran will render it useless.

Camerupt: Trick Room appreciates options against Bisharp but that's the best thing to say about it. We already have Specs Heatran for TR Eruptions, and Azumarill ruins this. Would probably just not be worthwhile in higher level play.

Glalie: Refrigerate Explosion is something to fear but mono Ice typing is so bad it will be lucky to even get the chance. Mediocre Speed and defenses will hinder against offensive teams too much. It wishes it could hold a Choice Scarf. Don't know if this gets Rock Polish but if not, it needs it. Salamence being unbanned will actually benefit this as it can use Ice Shard well.

I don't think the metagame will change that much. Thundurus, Landorus-T, Mamoswine, Scizor and Talonflame will still be everywhere. Slowbro and Salamence are the most likely to force a rethink, but Sharpedo and Audino will change things too. Good to see more defensive stall-viable Megas. Screw Trick Gothitelle.

Megagross yes, but Slowbro is a bit iffy...
Slowbro is already OU...and there's no way in the world that mega slowbro is 'a bit iffy' that'll be OU. with fucking 180 defense and being able to cm/not get crit , it's going eat up everything. yummy and nutritious

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)