Pokémon Hoopa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assault Vest is complete Pursuit bait since it's slow and has no protection from Substitute. It also has no recovery, meaning that hazards, statuses and attacks are going to wear it down much more quickly than Conkeldurr or Goodra, who at least have either a form of recovery or extreme bulk.
It gets shit on by Bisharp but only Sub can avoid that. If you can get lucky and predict the incoming Bisharp you can OHKO with Focus Blast. I mean you'll miss of course but you'll scare your opponent a little.

Conkledurr is sorta shitty in OU right now (last I checked anyway) but is a competent AV user because it has multiple powerful moves that are hard to wall and recovery that almost but not really keeps it healthy.

Goodra has 90 / 70 / 150 bulk which isn't much different from Hoopa's 80 / 60 / 130. Bulk was never Goodra's problem, its issue was getting shit on by anything that could take a Draco Meteor and its coverage moves which was... a lot of Pokemon. Hoopa is sorta garbage too but at least it has the offensive ability to hurt things. Goodra is also UU where IMO Hoopa will end up.

Hyperspace Hole was intended for Doubles, where Protect is on nearly every Pokemon. While I wish it was 100 BP or so, it's not a completely useless move.
Perhaps but I think Hoopa itself will have more trouble in Doubles than Hyperspace Hole will.

Also, please read my post from the other page. You won't be needing a gimmicky Assault Vest set to have Hoopa survive in OU.
Specs is outclassed by basically every faster special attacker. Keldeo, Greninja, Thundurus etc.

Scarf hits as hard as a base 105 poke's 110 STAB (such as Heatmor Fire Blast). Not very hard without investment. It also dies extra horribly to Pursuit AND it is slow even with Scarf meaning it can't revenge kill anything that boosted its speed nor is it bulky enough to survive priority. If you need a Scarfer why not Terrakion or Landorus? Or if you need a Pursuit weak Scarfer why not Latios?

Sub will be okay, though I would slash Calm Mind with Psyshock since Sub CM Hoopa basically 6-0s stall besides those with Unaware Clefable.

Taunt beats stall too but why not just run any other Taunt stallbreaker? Gengar, NP Thundurus, etc.

Also probably a Doubles thing, since Sitrus Berries and the like are somewhat common. However, on certain sets in Singles like Sub + 3 Attacks, Hoopa can afford to carry a Sitrus Berry or no item at all, but I'd agree that Magician is still a poor ability for it and Delphox as a whole.
I'd rather just run Lefties, although stealing Chansey's Eviolite would let you 2HKO it... That said Chansey can't break your Subs so you can't activate Sitrus Berry against it and "no item" runs the risk of stealing the item of something else (Chansey is utterly trashed by Trick / CM / Taunt so it wouldn't be my first choice of switch ins against Hoopa).

Magician is a decent ability.It lets u to absorb knock offs.After getting your item knocked,u can do the same thing back to the opponent except that u get that item.Something like keldeo will benefit from the typing.

Damn gamefreak,the mons that they give magician are.....
252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Delphox: 336-396 (115.4 - 136%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Hoopa: 528-624 (145 - 171.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Dude nothing with a 4x weakness to Dark is gonna be absorbing Knock Offs ever.

Dude nothing with a 4x weakness to Dark is gonna be absorbing Knock Offs ever.
0- Atk Chansey Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hoopa: 36-44 (9.8 - 12%) -- possible 9HKO
Eyyyyy

Ok in all seriousness, sorry mods don't kill me
Hyperspace Hole is at least a decent attack. I can't see this thing making too much of an impact in OU, but it's certainly good enough for UU and below. It's a shame about the ability. I guess it's a decent Scarf Pokémon, but even with that fantastic signature move, I can see many more Pokémon that can outclass it in every single way.

So Mega Hoopa's stats are 80/160/60/170/130/80 and its typing is Psychic/Dark.

Sadly, it still gets stuck with Magician...so yeah, a Mega with an even more useless ability.

It doesn't fix the issue with its mediocre speed either. But it does get Psychic/Dark typing, which is potentially(?) better since it's no longer Pursuit/Knock Off weak and if I'm not mistaken, only has a x4 weakness to bug-type moves.

The image isn't very clear, but it looks pretty terrifying.

Sadly, it still gets stuck with Magician...so yeah, a Mega with an even more useless ability.

It doesn't fix the issue with its mediocre speed either. But it does get Psychic/Dark typing, which is potentially(?) better since it's no longer Pursuit/Knock Off weak and if I'm not mistaken, only has a x4 weakness to bug-type moves.

Looks so fake i want to laugh.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist

Looks like an alternate form if anything, since it's only a +80 BST increase and has magician. Also apparently it gets nasty plot now.

I agree it looks stupid as hell though

GF are not idiots, there is no way they would give a Mega Magician when it has no effect and only +80 BST. It will be another form. Remember that Rotom gets +80 when it changes form as well so its not unprecedented.

It also has a new signature move called hyperspace fury which is a special dark 100 damage move with 5 pp and no miss effect. This form also loses hyperspace hole (which proves it not a mega) and gains nasty plot.

I can see this thing as a dangerous mixed wall-breaker. It can use power herb phantom force to hit hard and steal items while using hyperspace fury as a reliable Stab. Despite its high power and base 680 stats I don't think it will be too much for OU. Its 80 speed is not good, its defense is awful and dark/psychic is not a great type either. I think it will be a viable OU mon, but not broken.

Regardless of whether it's real or not, Alternate Forme Hoopa (not going to call it Mega, because I'd bet it isn't one) has the potential to be absolutely terrifying.

Set Name: No Items for You!
Hoopa @ Power Herb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Phantom Force
- Psyshock / Psychic
- Hyperspace Fury / Knock Off (If it can be tutored)
- Focus Blast

Power Herb Phantom Force to burn your Power Herb, then start dropping bombs. Knock Off has been confirmed as a tutor move in ORAS, so if it learns it, it could be cool to mess with people trying to force a Black Sludge or Flame/Toxic Orb onto you. To that end, Trick also works.

Also works wonders on leads that won't die from a Phantom Force. You could steal their Focus Sash and give yourself a leg up should they decide to try and take you out.

With that set, ghost and dark are somewhat redundant. I was thinking of using a scarf set to make up for that speed stat and those great offensive stats. I was thinking something like:

Hoopa @ Choice scarf
EVs: Undecided
Timid or Hasty Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Focus Blast/ Drain Punch
- Psyshock / Gunk Shot/ Knock Off
- Trick / Knock Off

HF is the main move you wanna spam. FB to deal with dark types, drain punch if you don't like the low accuracy. Psyshock to deal with fighting and fairies. And gunk shot to ko fairies. Trick can stop set ups and you could get a usable item and then take advantage of magician. Knock off is always a good move for offense and utility.

Hidden Power Fire should at least get a mention for the likes of Mega Scizor, seeing as "Hoopa" gets a bit faster and that's a clean OHKO.

Hoopa's getting a New Form and a stat distribution of; 80/160/60/170/130/80.
It's not a Mega because the additions to Hoopa's regular stats don't equal 100, and the stats above don't equal 700.

But I think we can work with this.

Power Herb + Phantom Force = Steal Item
And with Base 160 Atk, that'll hurt.

Although I wish they would give him Shadow Force as an Event Move.

So does anyone know when Hoopa will be released, and how this new Forme works, or is it just demo datamining? Because Hoopa-A looks ridiculous and scary.

So does anyone know when Hoopa will be released, and how this new Forme works, or is it just demo datamining? Because Hoopa-A looks ridiculous and scary.
I guess when Hoopa comes out in X/Y we might get an Official Video about it.
But then again, I'm pretty sure we'll find out more info about it in OR/AS.

But Hoopa might be the cause of the portals letting in all the Legendary Pokemon into Hoenn.

The form looks hella bad ass. I wish it was Dark/Ghost though.

It can also hold an Item and has ridiculous stats. I like it.
The only cons are that Psychic/Dark has a x4 Bug Weakness and a x2 Fairy weakness and its Ability is still Magician.

Well, the Fling+Magician sets brought up earlier in the thread have even more bearing now that Hoopa-A gets STAB from Fling and has a better speed stat. Who knows; its niche could be making Magician actually usable (I say usable instead of viable, this is important).

TM87 said:
But Hoopa might be the cause of the portals letting in all the Legendary Pokemon into Hoenn.
This is a very, very good point. Game Freak always likes having thematic reasons for odd things happening in their regions (the spooky Darkrai hotel in DPP, for example).

And as far as Dark/Psychic goes, it's not bad typing per-se. It's definitely not the best, and anything with U-turn will annihilate it, but it's certainly a step up from Psychic/Ghost. Having STAB Knock Off or Fling can be seriously deadly with 160 base Attack, and Hyperspace Fury is a godly signature move. It also has decent SpD, and I think that's pretty important to note, because there won't be any special Bug moves flying around (RIP Volcarona) and strong Fairy-type attackers (which there are very few of) are all special anyways. Unfortunately, it has no resistances besides a Psychic immunity (oh boy), so I can see why it's seen as a bad defensive typing. Offensively though, Hoopa-A has a lot of potential, I think.

Last edited:
Well, the Fling+Magician sets brought up earlier in the thread have even more bearing now that Hoopa-A gets STAB from Fling and has a better speed stat. Who knows; its niche could be making Magician actually usable (I say usable instead of viable, this is important).

This is a very, very good point. Game Freak always likes having thematic reasons for odd things happening in their regions (the spooky Darkrai hotel in DPP, for example).

And as far as Dark/Psychic goes, it's not bad typing per-se. It's definitely not the best, and anything with U-turn will annihilate it, but it's certainly a step up from Psychic/Ghost. Having STAB Knock Off or Fling can be seriously deadly with 160 base Attack, and Hyperspace Fury is a godly signature move. It also has decent SpD, and I think that's pretty important to note, because there won't be any special Bug moves flying around (RIP Volcarona) and strong Fairy-type attackers (which there are very few of) are all special anyways. Unfortunately, it has no resistances besides a Psychic immunity (oh boy), so I can see why it's seen as a bad defensive typing. Offensively though, Hoopa-A has a lot of potential, I think.
I can't help but think why isn't this think Dark/Ghost...
And what does the A Stand for? Ashura?

I figured since it's an alternate form we don't know about yet, I'm calling it Hoopa-A, or "alternate", for now.

But seriously, with stats like those and its movepool, if it was Dark/Ghost it'd be super hard to stop.

The only cons are that Psychic/Dark has a x4 Bug Weakness and a x2 Fairy weakness and its Ability is still Magician.
The bigger problem with Psychic/Dark is that it lacks resistances, it is mostly neutral, which in turn makes switch in opportunities rare.

The bigger problem with Psychic/Dark is that it lacks resistances, it is mostly neutral, which in turn makes switch in opportunities rare.
It gets switch in opportunities on passive things like Mew, Ferrothorn, and Chansey--anything on stall, really. Granted the viability of stall right now is pretty limited and the metagame is pretty damn offensive, I do agree that it will have a hard time switching in if the meta stays the same.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
It gets switch in opportunities on passive things like Mew, Ferrothorn, and Chansey--anything on stall, really. Granted the viability of stall right now is pretty limited and the metagame is pretty damn offensive, I do agree that it will have a hard time switching in if the meta stays the same.
Mew and Ferrothorn are not passive, and getting burned isn't fun.

I don't think Magician works that way since Gems + Magician doesn't work. It's worth a test though...
It actually does work; someone posted a video of it earlier. I still think trying to abuse it is pretty dumb since you can't ditch the item later like with Trick (unless you run Fling) and end up with a Choice Item you don't want.

Maybe this could work out;

Hoopa's other form @ Choice Specs
EVs: Max Sp.Atk and Speed
Timid Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Coverage
- Coverage
- Trick

You could probably run Sticky Web with Hoopa's other form so you can switch in on Lati@s and nuke something with Hyperspace Fury if they switch out or use Trick when Lati@s switches out to a wall so you cripple their wall.

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
In regards to a special attacker, I really don't think getting burned is a major issue.
Nothing likes getting burned because of the passive damage (outside Guts, obvy), and Hoopa has a high enough Attack stat that it might want to use it for Knock Off or a coverage move.

Hoopa's new form has 160 base attack as well as STAB Knock Off and most likely can hold an item. It also learns Nasty Plot which either form can make use of.

Not like stall is going to be very common in OR / AS but LO Nasty Plot Hoopa is pretty much GG against any wall ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)