MLB Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Royals vs Athletics the game of the year so far? Doubly so because I can't stand the A's and triply so because I want the Royals to be successful after sucking for like 28 years lol

^pretty much this

But Lester for Cespedes was a good deal for both sides. The problem for the A's in that game wasn't their offense, as it was for most of post-All Star Break, but their solid pitching let them down ultimately. The Royals' speed will be a very disrupting factor for opponents' pitching in the postseason, and it was the deciding factor in this one game playoff for sure.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
We are one game away from an Orioles and Royals alcs, two of my favourite non Rangers teams. This would be a dream come true, especially seeing as I hate the Angels and the Tigers.

Imanalt

I'm the coolest girl you'll ever meet
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I still can't get over the fact tim hudson and adam laroche both started the only other 18+ inning game in playoff history...

and tim hudson was kinda old for it AND THE ASTROS WERE IN THE PLAYOFFS

This post season has been absolutely amazing. The AL Wild Card game was amazing. The 18 inning pitching war was amazing. There are so many comebacks, close games, unpredictability, high tension situations... I'd have to say that this have been one of the most all around entertaining post seasons in recent memory. So exciting that I have put an express delivery order in for a "That's What Speed Do" hoodie to wear for the rest of the post season. Cause that's what speed do.

For those looking into the Lespedes trade... I'm not sure it is going to cost Billy his job or was even a bad move to make. Oakland's rotation did not have the shine to it without Lester as it did with. Including Lester put them in position of having the best playoff rotation in the AL going into the season. It didn't work out, and Lester under preformed. But without the bullpen blowing two leads, they're into the ALDS set up pretty well with an offense that was finally getting in its groove. The A's, like they have every year with Billy's team, just couldn't close the deal and close it out.

You also have to take into consideration what the A's gave up. Billy has nodded that regardless of what happened in the post season, Cespedes was going to be traded in the off season. The A's couldn't afford to keep Big Y, and they were going to follow their plans of trading soon to be free agents for controllable prospects. Based on that, the trade for Lester isn't such a bad thing because you're not trading a year and a half of Cespedes for a half a year of Lester and Gomes. You're trading a half a year of Cespedes and some prospects for a half a year of Lester. And consider the fact that there is a bunch of evidence that the A's were beginning their offensive decline before the trade and that Y only hit .269 with 5HR with Boston... I'm not sure that keeping Cespedes would have prevented the offensive collapse enough to stave off the division lead from the Angles. That puts you up against KC with Shark in the WC (which is a worse matchup than Lester) and with a weaker rotation against LAA.

Consider the fact that the A's owner is getting up there in age, and gave Billy the green light and the funds to go for the championship, I'd say his job is safe. The Lespedes trade was a good move for Oakland. And if the bullpen doesn't blow three leads, Soto does't get hurt to open the running game, the team wins the WC and goes on with a bona fide rotation against LAA... People would be singing the praises of Beane instead of chastising him. Just like we are praising Ned Yost for his aggressive tactics and his cunning instead of blasting him for using Ventura out of the pen or for stupidly failed trick steals of home.

The Lespedes trade isn't the one that Billy regrets. It's the Shark/Hammel trade where he sent all the years of Russell and McKinney for. That's the trade that broke the program and will cost the A's the most for their failed 2014 run. Also... my last quick point... if Cherington and the Red Sox are able resign Lester and things transpire the way I think it did with Boston and Lester agreeing on an increased contract if he were to get traded... then he has pulled off the greatest GM move since Babe Ruth. But I'll get more into that when the off season rolls around and we see what happens after the 5 day window...

ugh these are like all the teams I didn't want to advance... SFG and Orioles fans annoy me to no end.

Anyone else want to switch over to the Country Breakfast buffet? It's not too late. Though be warned, there is a fuck ton of Lorde over here.

Stallion

Tree Young
ugh these are like all the teams I didn't want to advance... SFG and Orioles fans annoy me to no end.
The only team I really didn't want to see advance was the Cardinals cause #onemorestrike still fucking stings and I'll forever hate the franchise for it.

On that note, no matter how average their year has been, we always manage to see the Giants and the Cardinals in the world series.

Winners of the last ten World Series:

Red Sox (3) - 2004, 2007, 2013
Cardinals (2) - 2006, 2011
Giants (2) - 2010, 2012
Yankees (1) - 2009
Phillies (1) - 2008
White Sox (1) - 2005

Let's see a new champion this year please.

Imanalt

The 07 rockies would like to point out how little being the "hot" team matters. The giants were much better in the regular season, likely to win this...

So the royals can fluke one insteaD? the giants were at least a better than league average team this year...
yes. One WS to the Royals is infinitely better than the shit piss SF fans after their third one (no offense Shady6121 I am just sick of them). *high fives Stallion*

Stallion

Tree Young
Lol you're from Vermont apparently so you're doing the same exact thing (you're essentially a hypocrite), and it's not bandwagoning, it's appreciating the greatness of an all-time team, also:

Rings before the 60s and expansion mean fuck all. Winning the comp when there was 8 team isn't the same.

Imanalt

Lol you're from Vermont apparently so you're doing the same exact thing (you're essentially a hypocrite), and it's not bandwagoning, it's appreciating the greatness of an all-time team, also:
I was born in pittsburgh and have been a diehard pirates fan my entire life. lol.

Also i struggle to say a team that missed the playoffs twice in a 5 year span is an all-time great

Stallion

Tree Young
Doesn't matter the fact is that they've won the WS when they've made the playoffs this decade, the Detroit Tigers have made the playoffs for 3 straight seasons now and haven't done shit.

That's a legitimate point, however what the Yankees did from 96, 98-01 hasn't been done by any other team before.
Credit to the late 90's Yankees. Those teams were stacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)