Other ORAS Mega Speculation Thread (NO talk about potential bans NOR Aegislash)

Which is your favorite?

• Beedrill

Votes: 255 26.5%
  • Pidgeot

Votes: 119 12.3%
  • Slowbro

Votes: 86 8.9%
  • Steelix

Votes: 58 6.0%
  • Sceptile

Votes: 140 14.5%
  • Swampert

Votes: 120 12.4%
  • Sableye

Votes: 62 6.4%
  • Sharpedo

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Camerupt

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Altaria

Votes: 144 14.9%
  • Glalie

Votes: 79 8.2%
  • Salamence

Votes: 198 20.5%
  • Metagross

Votes: 164 17.0%
  • Latias

Votes: 50 5.2%
  • Latios

Votes: 54 5.6%
  • Loppuny

Votes: 125 13.0%
  • Gallade

Votes: 148 15.4%
  • Audino

Votes: 30 3.1%
  • Diancie

Votes: 74 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I definitely don't think mega beedrill will be RU, it's far too good for that in my opinion. It should be at least UU and at best OU, however it'll probably end up BL when the meta settles down because it will see heavy usage upon release. If it makes OU it'll be just barely, although that doesn't mean it won't be viable in OU.

Out of all the issues it faces I think the biggest is the turn it mega evolves. In the OU environment how can a pokemon so slow and pathetically frail get a chance to mega evolve without either getting straight up KO'd or taking massive damage? Even if you manage to live and u-turn out, SR are probably up…
Despite dismissing it earlier, protect is starting to seem like a good idea to me.

naturalstupidity

formerly The Imposter
Personally, Mega Beedrill won't be as good as people say it is as I continuously heard that its "boss" or its "badass" or it'll be OU or BL considering it has base 150 in attack and base 145 in speed. Not to mention by the fact U-Turn/Adaptability I keep hearing about so much.

• Despite its ups, the flaws it has is that it has a crappy bulk with 40 base defense and an eh...80 base sp defense. The bulk won't be good enough for it to stand up against bigger threats.
  • Beedrill is still part Bug/Poison meaning its still affected by stealth rocks and flying types. Both of these aspects are still common.
  • It lacks a more reasonable movepool besides the bug and poison type attacks it has. It gets Drill Run along with Knock Off but it provides some coverage.
  • Due to its weak defenses, it won't be able to set up at least 1 Swords Dance.
  • I'd say that Mega Beedrill will probably be RU.
As it stands right now, most people will probably be using a U-turning scout/cleaner set similar to how Meganectric plays in OU. It definitely won't find the opportunity to set up any SDs but it should still be a solid scout with a U-turn only slightly weaker than CB Scizor's. It still has god-awful bulk and a crappy typing yeah, but it's not trying to be an SD sweeper. I can actually see this thing being low-mid UU like savior dog Mega Houndoom, but yeah, I doubt it'll be making any waves in OU very soon.

Mega Glalie seems like it has some potential as a lower-tiered wallbreaker even outside of REFRIGERATOR BOOM. Base 120 Attack isn't awful, and 156 BP STAB Double-Edge will certainly leave its mark. EQ provides some solid coverage, Explosion is self-explanatory, and the last slot could maybe go to Spikes to take advantage of the switches it makes ala Spikes Greninja? I can see this sorta set being viable in RU:

Glalie @ Glalite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Explosion
- Earthquake
- Spikes

252+ Atk Refrigerate Glalie Explosion vs. 212 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 129-152 (41.3 - 48.7%) -- 76.6% chance to 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes

damn glalie so strong

As it stands right now, most people will probably be using a U-turning scout/cleaner set similar to how Meganectric plays in OU. It definitely won't find the opportunity to set up any SDs but it should still be a solid scout with a U-turn only slightly weaker than CB Scizor's. It still has god-awful bulk and a crappy typing yeah, but it's not trying to be an SD sweeper. I can actually see this thing being low-mid UU like savior dog Mega Houndoom, but yeah, I doubt it'll be making any waves in OU very soon.

Mega Glalie seems like it has some potential as a lower-tiered wallbreaker even outside of REFRIGERATOR BOOM. Base 120 Attack isn't awful, and 156 BP STAB Double-Edge will certainly leave its mark. EQ provides some solid coverage, Explosion is self-explanatory, and the last slot could maybe go to Spikes to take advantage of the switches it makes ala Spikes Greninja? I can see this sorta set being viable in RU:

Glalie @ Glalite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Explosion
- Earthquake
- Spikes

252+ Atk Refrigerate Glalie Explosion vs. 212 HP / 0 Def Eviolite Doublade: 129-152 (41.3 - 48.7%) -- 76.6% chance to 2HKO after 1 layer of Spikes

damn glalie so strong
Explosion OHKOes Azumarill and Keldeo even being resisted.................

People are being way too harsh on Glalie saying it'll be RU. It's WAY too powerful for RU, despite its drawbacks. It'll definitely be UU.

i think altaria will work best on balanced teams but magnezone + altaria sounds promising on offense. not exactly an original concept but altaria reallllllly hates steels (namely skarmory, ferrothorn, and scizor). altho that sounds bisharp and tran weak so keldeo would b great w/ altaria as well
Altaria learns Fire blast / Flamethrower so i don't see how skarmory/ferrothorn (BP zor can be annoying) could be a problem.

I'm also surprise by how underhyped Mega Steelix is. Sure, it's not amazing, but it's basically a more offensive Mega Aggron with a better offensive typing and ability. It does have to sacrifice Filter and a worse defensive typing however. This is also not to mention that Sand Offense is a very good playstyle in OU.

Of all the current megas that aren't banned to Ubers, the only two that aren't ranked in the viability rankings are Banette and Abomasnow. Any thoughts on which new megas won't make the cut? I mean we can't just talk about the good ones all the time.

Pidgeot is pretty mediocre, but no guard hurricane and decena SpA and speed might make it useful on some teams.

Sabeleye seems outclassed as a defensive magic bouncer by m-Diance, and as an offensive one by Espeon. I see no reason to use it in OU.

Glalie is p bad but refrigerate explosion is a nice niche that will probably let it sneak in at the bottom of the rankings

Audino is just garbage

Something that just occurred to me: if CroBro becomes insanely popular, we might actually see Jellicent become popular because now it can counter Mega Slowbro AND Keldeo.

I definitely think Calm Mind/ResTalk/Scald will be better than Calm Mind/Slack Off/Scald/filler because Rest allows Slowbro to dodge Toxic, so to speak.

DaAwesomeDude1

waiting for a moment
is a Top Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Salamence is not even OU these days. Interesting eh?
MegaMence rectifies a few of its problems.

It's not a lot more powerful than LO Mence but thanks to Aerilate it gets a free LO boost to Flying STAB so it evens out for some moves.
The real amazing thing about it is its speed and defense boosts. That adds so much versatility, resistance to revenge killing and setup opportunities.
It might all be enough to make Salamence relevant again instead of relatively unused.
I'm not sure if it will be quite as scary as imagined.
nah bro, Megamence is going to be scary. The only reason pinsir is in OU is because of aerialate, imagine what that would do to Salamence. Sala has access to d dance which arguably makes it better than pinsir and I'm not sure if anyone has noticed yet but Sala also has access to hyper voice (STAB flying move that goes through sub hnggggg). It'll be OU for 2-3 weeks tops. I don't know about you but I'm going to use Megamence as an offensive support wish passing mon: wish defog hyper voice draco meteor ITS WAY TOO BASED :^)

"Sableye seems outclassed as a defensive magic bouncer by m-Diance, and as an offensive one by Espeon. I see no reason to use it in OU.". Wat? Sableye has better defensive stats then MDiancie, a better typing and a better movepool. Besides that, MDiancie will be an offensive MBouncer because 160/160/110>50/110/110. And pls dont use offensive MSableye, the only set of Sableye that is a bit offensive is CM, Recover, WoW, Shadow Ball. And btw, why was my last post deleted?

For people thinking Megamence isn't broken
-1 252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Play Rough vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 156-186 (91.2 - 108.7%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO

Yep. That's crazy...

Sabeleye seems outclassed as a defensive magic bouncer by m-Diance, and as an offensive one by Espeon. I see no reason to use it in OU.
Except mdiancie is nowhere near as good as mSableye. In fact, comparatively, diancie is outclassed. Typing, first turn prankster, recovery, Everything diancie wishes it could be. So, I'm not sure where this is coming from.

naturalstupidity

formerly The Imposter
Something that just occurred to me: if CroBro becomes insanely popular, we might actually see Jellicent become popular because now it can counter Mega Slowbro AND Keldeo.

I definitely think Calm Mind/ResTalk/Scald will be better than Calm Mind/Slack Off/Scald/filler because Rest allows Slowbro to dodge Toxic, so to speak.
With Slowbro's insane physical bulk and Calm Mind rectifying its special bulk, I wonder if there will be any reason to even run RestTalk. CM/Rest/Scald/Psyshock seems like a solid option, although insanely strong physical attackers could still break it during the sleep turns. Slowbro has a number of good resistances, so I'm not sure if mono-attacker is the way to go with it. It doesn't seem to necessarily have to be a CM sweeper either. A set similar to its current one with Scald / Psyshock / Toxic / Slack Off could also work.

Also, M-Diancie is a much better offensive supporter than M-Sableye. 160/160 offenses are nothing to scoff at with a speed equaling that of Latios. It gets Stealth Rock and Heal Bell with a fair offensive movepool including Diamond Storm, Moonblast, Earth Power, and Psychic. I can see a simple set of Diamond Storm l Moonblast l Earth Power l Stealth Rock/Heal Bell being a popular choice that separates it from M-Sableye and Espeon.

About Mega Slowbro:

+6 252+ Atk Adaptability Mega Lucario Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 291-343 (73.8 - 87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Mega Heracross Pin Missile (5 hits) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 280-340 (71 - 86.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+3 252 Atk Aerilate Salamence Double-Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Slowbro: 322-381 (81.7 - 96.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (using mega stats)
I'm scared.

Why do people hate on Audino? I know its not the most loved pokemon in existence, but audino does not deserve this much angst towards it.

dude, 103/126/126 defenses and a Normal/Fairy typing is OUTSTANDING! Who cares if it doesn't have a good ability, its able to tank some super strong hits especially when invested in physical or special defense, and it has a decent 80 base special attack to hit back decently hard as well as great support moves to cripple the opponent. Hopefully it gets moonblast and softboiled when the whole game comes out; I know it got misty terrain in a trailer released back several months ago, so hopefully the above 2 moves will be taught to audino.

Example: 252+ Atk Mega Heracross Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Audino: 172-204 (41.9 - 49.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Garchomp Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Audino: 142-169 (34.6 - 41.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Kabutops Aqua Tail vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Audino in Rain: 177-211 (43.1 - 51.4%) -- 6.3% chance to 2HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Audino: 121-144 (29.5 - 35.1%) -- 15.4% chance to 3HKO

252 SpA Sceptile (mega) Leaf Storm vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Audino: 142-168 (34.6 - 40.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Return vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Audino: 153-180 (37.3 - 43.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Not only that, being a normal type, it has a diverse as as hell movepool, with its support moves ranging from heal bell, trick room (yay fairy who uses trick room), thunder wave, wish, yawn (TO FORCE SWITCHES), toxic, encore (TO PUNISH BOOSTERS), dual screens, healing wish, and even heal pulse, simple beam for doubles :). And by virtue of being a normal type, it gets a huge offensive movepool like ice beam, fire blast, etc.

Hopefully it gets softboiled and moonblast, this thing is going to be my go-to mixed wall for a lot of powerful mons that I have to face.

GO MEGA AUDINO GO :D.

I can also see m-steelix as a great hybrid between m-chomp and m-aggron, especially against offense, max invested gyro ball in the sand at 0- speed no IVs 2hkos keldeo for crying out loud, and it ohkos a lot of offensive mons neutral to it. Its defense is so huge, that it can take some supereffective physical hits if it needs to. Curse sets would be cool for some walls that it might encounter, where heavy slam could be used with its increased weight that it might get.

Mega Glalie looks absolutely terryfing - its Refrigerate-boosted Explosion is the most powerful attack in the game. Absolutely nothing that doesn't resist it can take t, and even those that do will take heavy damage.
Of course Exploding isn't everything M-Glalie is good at! It can set up Spikes while scaring the hell out of the common ice-wek defoggers, hit very hard with Refrigerate-boosted Returns/Double-Edges and has an excellent coverage move in Earthquake.
But sadly ice shard doesnt cut it. If it had quick attack its usefulness in ou would be completely different. If only they changed out its spatk with speed it would be THE ice pokemon of OU. Plus unless you are running a powerhouse team that doesn't need a mega then most people aren't going to waste their mega slot on glalie. I love glalie but GF was just a little sloppy on him. Base 100 speed with meh bulk was the nail in the coffin to lock him in at UU at best.

tldr; Start of XY2: Sally the Destroyer -> Dragon Wars -> Revenge of the Lower Tier Megas

No matter what happens, expect a huge rise in usage of CB Adamant Smogon Berds:

Mega Salamence:

Man and I was thinking that the only saving grace that would keep this beast in OU, at least for more than one month was if they avoided any boosts to his speed, but no they went ahead and Uber'd it from the start.

What can I say that isn't displayed in his stats? Why calcs ofc:

252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 265-312 (80 - 94.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
244 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Salamence: 270-328 (81.5 - 99%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Expected popular set:

Mega Sally @ Sallystone
Adamant/Naive Nature
252 Atk/252 Speed/4 SpA

EQ/ Fire Blast
Dragon Claw/Outrage
Double Edge/Return
Dragon Dance/Roost

===============

Mega Altaria:

It's here! The famed Dragon/Fairy typing, which is infamous of having no overlapping/redundant resistances and actually has an immunity to the others weakness! This thing throws everything you know about coverage off the cliff and will force some very weird, perhaps even insulting realities on Dragons like CharX and Dragonite who might even run Iron Tail just to ensure their viability!

While the stats look like someone ripped off Kingdra and gave him a bag of weed, he does have Pixelate and the typical Dragon/Mew-esque movepool to pull off many suprises, look out for this one and remember the following:

Resists: Fire/Water/Grass/Electric/Dark/Fight/Bug
Immune: Dragon

Mega Cloud @ Cocaine
Naive Nature
252 Atk/252 Speed/4 SpA

Dragon Dance/Roost
Outrage/EQ
Fire Blast
Return

Somehow I don't think people will resist trying to turn it into a defensive titan and stick it to a stall team or something...

Mega Cloud @ Cocaine
Calm
252 HP/252 SpD/4 SpA
Roost
Toxic
Flame Thrower/Fire Blast
Cotton Guard

244 Atk Life Orb Mamoswine Icicle Crash vs. +3 252 HP / 0 Def Altaria: 133-159 (37.5 - 44.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
4 SpA Pixilate Altaria Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mamoswine: 160-189 (44.5 - 52.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Altaria in Sun: 109-129 (30.7 - 36.4%) -- 57.6% chance to 3HKO

=================

Mega Sceptile:

Grass/Dragon! Walled by everything! An electric immunity for a pokemon that resists x4 Elec and looks like a XMAS tree! WEEEEE....

Ok stop it already, you are not looking correctly at the big picture, this pokemon is a dragon...what else, yes OU has finally gotten a scarecrow for the likes of Rotom-W and prankster Thundrus-I, and with his impressive mixed capabilities and phenomenal speed, this thing is surely can make a lot of people sweat, especially if he pulls of unpredictable sets.

Mega Sceptile @ Sceptilness
Jolly Nature/Naive
252 Atk/252 Speed/4 SpA

Sword Dance/Sub
Outrage
Leaf Blade
Low Kick/HP Fire

==================

Mega Slowbro:

You didn't think Ninny went ahead and released a Reggae song for it without having a master plan behind all that Yadon? This is Crocune.2 in all but name, and whilist the outdated version had impressive bulk but no recovery, Megabro went ahead and brought Slack Off, Amnesia and even Iron Defense to the stall party. Are you ready to face death itself?

MegaBro @ Comeatmebro
Bold
252 HP/252 Def/4 SpA

Scald
Amnesia
Slack Off
Iron Defense/Toxic

====================

Mega Metagross:

God Dammit, they only had to give it 150 Atk to 2hko Skarmory with T-Pwnch...oh well, just throw SR at one point of the game and you can go along and annoy people on PS by your oh so clever and witty Transformer references (e.g. Megatron). But srsly look at that speed! Look at those stats, this thing is bulky and its here to stay and punch for hours to come

MegaGross @ OrbofSigma
Adamant
252 Atk/252 Speed/4 HP

Agility
Zen Headbutt
Meteor Mash
EQ/Thunder Punch

=====================
Mega Lopunny:

HA! WHOSE WEARING THE PANTS NOW DIG...oh you got elemental punches, knock off and everything else under the sun, mkay, how about UNRESISTED COVERAGE! GO FIX ME SAMMICHES.

^The above was recorded yesterday as a result of smogon's careless datamining effort to ruin what was once a harmonious house and blissful marital life.

136 Attack, Scrappy, High Jump Kick, Elemental Punches, outspeeds everything not scarfed, this is your new primer fighting type and getting massacred has never been so cute before!

MegaPunny @ Ghostbuster
Jolly
252 Atk/252 Speed/4 HP

Hi Jump Kick
Fire Punch
Return
Ice Punch/Sub

===================
Mega Beedrill:

This was probably many peoples first fully evolved pokemon, and many peoples first deposit in bills box. Whose great idea was it to piss off the hornet's nest for all these years, not even meriting a mention at PU? Well it's now time for revenge, having returned not only with 150 ATK and 145 Speed (srsly gf), but with ADAPTABILITY.

It's rape time gentlemen, and Beedrill has put on his true face.

DOES THIS LOOK LIKE THE FACE OF MERCY TO YOU?

MegaDrill @ Bendover
Adamant
252 Atk/252 Speed/4 Def

U-turn/X-Scizzor
Drill Run
Poison Jab/Knock Off
Sword Dance/Sub

+2 252+ Atk Adaptability Beedrill X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 88+ Def Ferrothorn: 436-514 (123.8 - 146%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:
nah bro, Megamence is going to be scary. The only reason pinsir is in OU is because of aerialate, imagine what that would do to Salamence. Sala has access to d dance which arguably makes it better than pinsir and I'm not sure if anyone has noticed yet but Sala also has access to hyper voice (STAB flying move that goes through sub hnggggg). It'll be OU for 2-3 weeks tops. I don't know about you but I'm going to use Megamence as an offensive support wish passing mon: wish defog hyper voice draco meteor ITS WAY TOO BASED :^)
MegaPinsir's Atk is actually higher than MegaMence's. Salamence is an overall better Pokemon though, no doubt.
The question is the extent to which the added speed and bulk of Mega Salamence over Salamence will increase the difficulty of dealing with it.
There is a very good possibility that the combination of Intimidate and the bulk gained from Mega evolution will make setup quite easy while the bulk + speed will make it hard to revenge.
If it proves to be too much it will be due to a combination of attributes not just power.

Swords dance beedrill? You'd be lucky to not lose beedrill on the turn of the mega evolution, never mind trying to set up… the same goes for substitute. The frailest motherfucker around has no business even considering a substitute set. lol
Beedrill doesn't get gunk shot either.

Also Lopunny doens't get Swords Dance.
Also Mega Altaria should always run Return instead of Outrage on a DD set, with maybe Dragon Claw (but EQ is better coverage).
Also, Iron Defense Slowbro? lolwhat

Actually, I can see M-Beedrill getting some use out of Substitute. It's not exactly like its cup runneth over with good coverage moves anyway, and being the frailest motherfucker around, an extra turn is a big deal for it.

Beedrill's raw power and speed should allow it to force a lot of switches. If you can anticipate a switch and use it to get a Sub in, that'll give you the ability to take an extra hit - which could be handy. Depends on what's coming in, though; ideally, you want to use Sub to so something like survive a priority move and KO its user.

Why is there so little discussion on Mega Metagross?
It seems like it will be a good Mega.
More OU viability then Pidgeot xD
I'm excited for M-gross. Would the preferred nature be adamant or jolly? I have a shiny Adamant I'd rather use, but would probably have to redo its EVs. Also why are people suggesting Grass Knot on it? Is it for M-swampert?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)