Other ORAS Mega Speculation Thread (NO talk about potential bans NOR Aegislash)

Which is your favorite?

• Beedrill

Votes: 255 26.5%
  • Pidgeot

Votes: 119 12.3%
  • Slowbro

Votes: 86 8.9%
  • Steelix

Votes: 58 6.0%
  • Sceptile

Votes: 140 14.5%
  • Swampert

Votes: 120 12.4%
  • Sableye

Votes: 62 6.4%
  • Sharpedo

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Camerupt

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Altaria

Votes: 144 14.9%
  • Glalie

Votes: 79 8.2%
  • Salamence

Votes: 198 20.5%
  • Metagross

Votes: 164 17.0%
  • Latias

Votes: 50 5.2%
  • Latios

Votes: 54 5.6%
  • Loppuny

Votes: 125 13.0%
  • Gallade

Votes: 148 15.4%
  • Audino

Votes: 30 3.1%
  • Diancie

Votes: 74 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Beedrill will be quite trash really once the hype goes down; I see his best function as being something similar to Swellow. That is, hammer away at your switch-ins with your STABs and U-turn looking to open up a late game sweep after wearing down your checks. Unfortunately he's actually inferior to Swellow in this regard so expect to see him in a similar tier.

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Jolly
252 Atk / 252 Spe
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- X-Scissor
- Knock Off / Drill Run

Go nuts with U-turn/Knock Off early on, use the dual STABs in the late game; don't waste time boosting when you've got 40 base Def. Even if the opponent sacrifices something to Fell Stinger it was probably solely so they could bring in their priority user.

Mega Gallade has CC, SD, Destiny Bond, Knock Off, a decent bulky and more speed than M Medicham. Speed tie with Latios, Latias, Gengar and outspeed Landorus-I (a problem for M Medichan) makes it better.

252 Atk Gallade Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Latios: 306-360 (101.3 - 119.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Gallade Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latias: 276-326 (91.6 - 108.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

A nice moveset is: SD/Destiny Bond, Close Combat, Zen Headbutt, Knock Off

Also Encore, Memento, Will O' Wisp, Bulk Up are interesting moves.

Beedrill will be quite trash really once the hype goes down; I see his best function as being something similar to Swellow. That is, hammer away at your switch-ins with your STABs and U-turn looking to open up a late game sweep after wearing down your checks. Unfortunately he's actually inferior to Swellow in this regard so expect to see him in a similar tier.

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Jolly
252 Atk / 252 Spe
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- X-Scissor
- Knock Off / Drill Run

Go nuts with U-turn/Knock Off early on, use the dual STABs in the late game; don't waste time boosting when you've got 40 base Def. Even if the opponent sacrifices something to Fell Stinger it was probably solely so they could bring in their priority user.
mega beedrill is overhyped but I still think it's pretty good. A good volt/turn core with Mega Beedrill and Scarf Magnezone will be devastating. Scarf Magenzone takes care of ferro, skarm, exca (not in sand and weaken a bit), scizor, klef, and some flying types . Put Latios w/ defog, eq can help get kid rid of rocks and help beedril/surprise heatran with eq. AV Conk also seems like a good pivot switch between scarf magne, mega beedril.

I'm sorry but you'd have to be off your tits to use Mega Beedrill in OU when you look at how absurdly potent the other Megas in that tier are.
i wasn't acting like mega beedril is the best of all best. im just sayin', if someone wants to use it, then they can. but mega beedril has shit defenses so it obviously isn't the best mega to be picked. jeez. im just saying it could be cool to use for a volt/turn core. i even said it was overhyped. lol. damn, you seriously didn't have to fire shots at me .

Re: Glalie. Refrigerate explosion is nice, but its too predictable. It's only viable role will be to set up spikes, and kill something. And that's assuming it can even get spikes up before its KO'd. Its a suicide lead that isn't particularly fast and can't run a focus sash. So all its left with is its explosion, but since the explosion is so obvious the other player can just pick what it wants to die. You're basically giving up your mega slot for something that gets to kill whatever the other player deems least valuable. I guess you could play around with switches and the occasional protect (predicting the explosion) to get a spike up, but its so niche that I can't see any circumstances where its worth a mega.

Re: Glalie. Refrigerate explosion is nice, but its too predictable. It's only viable role will be to set up spikes, and kill something. And that's assuming it can even get spikes up before its KO'd. Its a suicide lead that isn't particularly fast and can't run a focus sash. So all its left with is its explosion, but since the explosion is so obvious the other player can just pick what it wants to die. You're basically giving up your mega slot for something that gets to kill whatever the other player deems least valuable. I guess you could play around with switches and the occasional protect (predicting the explosion) to get a spike up, but its so niche that I can't see any circumstances where its worth a mega.
Yeah I'm agreeing with this. I mean when you can only use one Mega on your team why use it on a Pokemon you are gonna blow up in like two turns!?

Shit I didn't realise gallade got SD. It's pretty damn bulky after it mega evolves and fast as hell, that could be a devasting set. Imagine a +2 close combat… dear lord. Destiny bond is interesting but I don't know if it would be practical. It's good on things like houndoom because outside of fire blast and dark pulse it doesn't have much else but gallade has pretty respectable coverage. Still, it's another option and the more options the better. I wonder if it could run a bulky SD set thanks to its boosted base 95 defence? Drain punch over close combat for recovery and a decently powerful STAB, knock off, SD, and a coverage move of choice. Probably a bit average though because of the low HP stat. I'm guessing the most common and powerful set would be something like;

Gallade @ Galladite
Jolly
Inner focus
252 SPE/ 252 ATK/ 4HP

- Close combat
- Knock off
- Psycho cut
- Swords dance/substitute

CaffeineBoost

6th Best Circus Poster of 2023
is a Community Contributor
I believe that Mega Swampert is the most viable (and sorry if anybody has posted this before).
With 100/110/110 bulk, 150 Atk, and Swift Swim, Rain teams have now got a new Physical attacker. This is probably bad news for Kabutops but who cares, MEGA SWAMPERT!
In design and gameplay I can safely tell you: this guy lifts.

I also think Mega Metagross has huge potential as well (but I like Mega Swampert more)

So now that we have Gallade's stats, we can better compare it to Medicham.

Gallade's Pros:
  • Higher bulk, slightly higher in Def and much higher in SDef (68/95/115 vs. 60/85/85)
  • Higher Speed (110 vs. 100)
  • Better movepool
    • Knock Off (no explanation needed)
    • Swords Dance (see above)
    • Destiny Bond (could be pretty screwy, a fast DBond is powerful and can force 1-to-1 trades as opposed to having to sac yourself or switch out)
    • Skill Swap (it sounds ULTRA gimmicky but honestly could be cool)
    • Taunt, Encore, Will-O-Wisp, Wish... its movepool (obviously) largely overlaps with Gardevoir's, just for reference
  • Uses Close Combat instead of High Jump Kick (lower power and Def drops may be undesirable, but HJK can miss and kills you if it does. Lucario had the option of CC or HJK and you didn't see many HJK Lukes running around)
  • IT WEARS A CAPE
  • Solidly masculine as opposed to gender ambiguous
Medicham's Pros:
  • Significantly higher unboosted power (~33% difference)
  • Fake Out for 'safe' mega evo (it's not that good a move tho)
  • Great concept (NOW I AM BECOME DEATH)
Prior to stats getting leaked, a lot of people were thinking it would just mirror Mega Garde's stats (so 100 base speed and +20 to SpA) and be generally inferior to mega Cham, but obviously this is no longer the case. As much as I do like Medicham, Gallade seems to be far more well rounded and a better choice overall, though the insane damage of Pure Power HJK could mean Medicham would still be better at sub+3 attack sets.

So yeah, a (generally better) version of an already OU pokemon, great power, great movepool, decent bulk, most definitely going to be prominent.

Last edited:
They really dropped the ball on Pidgeot.
It should have got Gale Wings and a better Speed and Attack Stat.
Instead it gets No Guard which makes No Sense. It learns only two moves to abuse its Special Attack boost. Meanwhile the opponent's Stone Edge, Blizzard, and Thunder are going to take him down. It's speed isn't as good as it should be either. Even Mega Lupunny is faster.
Such a waste...

Shit I didn't realise gallade got SD. It's pretty damn bulky after it mega evolves and fast as hell, that could be a devasting set. Imagine a +2 close combat… dear lord. Destiny bond is interesting but I don't know if it would be practical. It's good on things like houndoom because outside of fire blast and dark pulse it doesn't have much else but gallade has pretty respectable coverage. Still, it's another option and the more options the better. I wonder if it could run a bulky SD set thanks to its boosted base 95 defence? Drain punch over close combat for recovery and a decently powerful STAB, knock off, SD, and a coverage move of choice. Probably a bit average though because of the low HP stat. I'm guessing the most common and powerful set would be something like;

Gallade @ Galladite
Jolly
Inner focus
252 SPE/ 252 ATK/ 4HP

- Close combat
- Knock off
- Psycho cut
- Swords dance/substitute
I'd probably swap out Psycho Cut for Zen Headbutt even if it does have a chance to miss since that extra damage can snag you some important KOs.

*Blow up in like one turn
Two or three IF you're lucky. Best case scenario it leads against something the other opponent can't afford to lose and you get a spike up before it sends in its sack. Why would you use mega-Pinsir or Hera or Zard or Mence when you could do that?

I believe that Mega Swampert is the most viable (and sorry if anybody has posted this before).
With 100/110/110 bulk, 150 Atk, and Swift Swim, Rain teams have now got a new Physical attacker. This is probably bad news for Kabutops but who cares, MEGA SWAMPERT!
In design and gameplay I can safely tell you: this guy lifts.

I also think Mega Metagross has huge potential as well (but I like Mega Swampert more)
Honestly, a lot of these megas have a lot of potential. Perhaps not all of them in OU, but a lot of them do have some great attributes to pull them into OU. Some may be a little too much, but many have become some big OU threats thanks to their megas *cough* mLop.

I wouldn't say they dropped the ball on pidgeot, it looks like a solid UU mon which is amazing for something as shit as pidgeot. People can finally wear those nostalgia glasses with pride.
No guard is a bit of a letdown, however it's definitely beneficial. Base 135 isn't great compared to other offensive mega's but it's still extremely good especially when you consider that hurricane gets a STAB boost and naturally has such a high BP. The only move you really have to worry about is stone edge because nobody is going to be running blizzard and thunder just for pidgeot.
Base 121 speed is incredible. Yeah it misses out on greninja which was just trolly (and admittedly annoying) but you still outspeed almost everything. It may seem a little underwhelming but a pokemon that fast spamming 100% accurate STAB hurricanes from a base 135 special attack is something to watch out for, and lets not forget the 30% confusion chance which is actually useful and can save you from time to time.
The opportunity cost in OU may prove too much for pidgeot but it'll be a force to be reckoned with in UU for sure which is more than good enough for me.

CaffeineBoost

6th Best Circus Poster of 2023
is a Community Contributor
Honestly, a lot of these megas have a lot of potential. Perhaps not all of them in OU, but a lot of them do have some great attributes to pull them into OU. Some may be a little too much, but many have become some big OU threats thanks to their megas *cough* mLop.
Yes. I was just picking out my favourite and justifying why. All of the Megas have potential in different metas in their own way and as an avid OU player (and the maker of one reasonably successful Rain team (the format for which I ripped off from The Smog but I digress)) I chose the mega I both liked and I think is going to be viable in OU. Mega Lopunny as you have mentioned will also most likely jump (kick) to OU as well but I chose Swampert as I like it more. I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just telling you why I chose Swampert in particular. I like it more.

Swampert will definitely be OU. I can see it somewhere among the A ranks for sure. The combination of speed (in rain), bulk, power (massive outside of rain, absurd in rain), and coverage is incredible. A lot of people are so focused on the rain aspect that they almost forget it gets a delicious STAB EQ. If running adamant (which it can afford to do thanks to swift swim) EQ 2HKO's standard offensive mega venusaur with rocks up. This beast will be almost impossible to revenge in rain with that bulk and speed and nothing will be able to reliably switch in.

The size of its arms are an accurate representation of how strong it will be in OU.

Last edited:
M-Beedrill should only be using this set

U-turn
Poison Jab
Drill Run
Protect

U-turn cuz that's what M-Beedrill spams
Poison Jab because thats it's stab if you can OHKO
Drill Run for Heatran and other weakened mons it would be SE against and KO
Protect to scout the move and always a chance to mega evolve

I don't have Knock off slashed in because you don't want Beedrill to knock off. You don't want Beedril to knock off their item and then get OHKO'd back by their attack. You want Beedrill to either KO or do alot of damage with U-turn and switch out. This is not a rule as there are exceptions but knock off is at it's best with mons that can take more of a hit like Conkeldure or Bisharp

Yes. I was just picking out my favourite and justifying why. All of the Megas have potential in different metas in their own way and as an avid OU player (and the maker of one reasonably successful Rain team (the format for which I ripped off from The Smog but I digress)) I chose the mega I both liked and I think is going to be viable in OU. Mega Lopunny as you have mentioned will also most likely jump (kick) to OU as well but I chose Swampert as I like it more. I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just telling you why I chose Swampert in particular. I like it more.
I was more so piggy backing off what you said.

But, as Wargreymon stated, mSwampert is going to be ridiculous to be face to face with. It's one of those "little too much" Pokemon i was talking about. Base 150 atk, + STAB waterfall in friggin rain is stupid. Like, 9+10=21 stupid. The only downside to it is the need for those 5-8 turns of rain in order to be the beast it wants to be. With the rise of rain as it is, OU is in for a wild ride.

Beedrill, if you are unsure, is viable for sure. It has checks of course, but it can damage a lot! For those saying its moves are so weak, I really don't think 80 bp is low(not to mention boosted by adaptability). Drill run is a good coverage move as well. Yeah it's frail, so I really can't imagine why anyone would waste a moveslot with knock off on something that dies so easily. It can OHKO talonflame on the switch(though that requires lots of prediction). Due to the presence of talonflame and other priority users in OU, I imagine beedrill will shine in UU or lower tiers;RU at the least.

P.S. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong; I usually am...

It's really hard to think of a hard counter for Offensive Rain Swampert other than Ferrothorn, Celebi and Mega Venusaur. Having done some calcs, I've found that those viable in OU right now are either too passive to do anything back - e.g. Skarmory - die eventually ANYWAY and can't do much back - e.g. Mega Aggron - or just really aren't that relevant - e.g. Porygon2.

Edit: Wait, Celebi gets the 2HKO from Ice Punch after Stealth Rock. Not the best counter.

naturalstupidity

formerly The Imposter
I was more so piggy backing off what you said.

But, as Wargreymon stated, mSwampert is going to be ridiculous to be face to face with. It's one of those "little too much" Pokemon i was talking about. Base 150 atk, + STAB waterfall in friggin rain is stupid. Like, 9+10=21 stupid. The only downside to it is the need for those 5-8 turns of rain in order to be the beast it wants to be. With the rise of rain as it is, OU is in for a wild ride.
Just to add to the terror - Mega Swampert will be able to set its own rain on bulky offensive / balance teams. This enables it to use its excellent bulk and defensive typing to check threats like Zard-X and Thundurus throughout the game, then set up a Rain Dance and sweep. It doesn't even need to be partnered with Politoed to be a huge threat.

Also, Swampert gets Superpower / Hammer Arm too so the only real counter to this thing is phys. def Mega Venusaur as far as I can tell. Don't forget that it gets PuP too so many of its solid checks and counters can be muscled through that way. Mega Swampert is looking as terrifying as, if not more than, Mega Metagross right now.

Mega venusaur is definitely not a counter. It can't switch in.

252+ Atk Swampert Earthquake vs. 232 HP / 0 Def Mega Venusaur: 168-198 (46.7 - 55.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Edit: Offensive versions I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)