The Everything NFL Punter Thread - 2014/2015 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even the fucking Cowboys are good because they drafted 3 first round linemen in a row. Fuck skill position players now. Just draft linemen first round every draft and let the rest of the shit work out.
skill positions were never the problem for the cowboys though. dez bryant, murray, terrance williams have all been here (although williams was drafted last season). and of course we've had a great franchise quarterback for years. the problem with the cowboys was always the offensive line, and the defense, the two parts of the team that have immensely improved this season.

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
skill positions were never the problem for the cowboys though. dez bryant, murray, terrance williams have all been here (although williams was drafted last season). and of course we've had a great franchise quarterback for years. the problem with the cowboys was always the offensive line, and the defense, the two parts of the team that have immensely improved this season.
And more importantly, they didnt know how to consistently call running plays. They had demarco murray but they didnt use him.

Not really. Scobee from 50+ in his career is 25-34
only 3 of them are from 55+ (55, 55, 59)

and yes, those five yards are very significant for most every kicker in the league (unless you're Prater in Denver or something)

and what happens if the catch happens and a corner makes a great shoestring tackle? What if the pass isint there and bortles makes a rookie mistake?
passes like this are very easy for an NFL quarterback and have a very low margin of error. yes, there are multiple ways it can go wrong, but if you can't trust your quarterback to win games like this then you shouldn't be starting him. I realize Bortles is a rookie, but plays like this are ones that young players build upon for their entire early career (ie Matt Ryan vs Chicago in 2008)

With 12 seconds...take the field goal. It wasnt even that scobee missed, it was that the kick was blocked, rendering the distance a non-factor
kicks that travel further almost always have lower trajectories. even if they don't "need" to be that low (assuming the optimal angle is 45 degrees or whatever) just the act of attempting to kick the ball as hard as you can tends to make it travel lower. long kicks are blocked way way more often than shorter kicks.

How do the Rams go from one of the best past-rushing teams the past couple seasons to having a non-existent pass rush? No sacks again tonight. Kaepernick is tough to get a hold of in the backfield, but this has been a recurring theme for them.

How do the Rams go from one of the best past-rushing teams the past couple seasons to having a non-existent pass rush? No sacks again tonight. Kaepernick is tough to get a hold of in the backfield, but this has been a recurring theme for them.
Maybe they're just past rushing at this point.

WB Edit: ihu

Last edited by a moderator:

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
I lost a fantasy game cuz of the pick-6. Like if it hadnt been a td...w/e. Crazier things have happened.

From the look of the Raiders this past weekend vs the first four games of the season, I'm glad Dennis Allen is gone. Despite a large number of drops (completion percentage drop from 71% to 52%), Carr had a great game and our running game was actually good. We nearly had the Chargers but that CB just had to make an amazing interception...
Anyone else watch that game? Thoughts?

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That's the point. We have great skill guys atm in Garcon, Jackson and Roberts. 1 super talented QB and 1 decent backup that's better than at least 10 starters. Depth at TE. a Pro Bowl RB. What we don't have is an OL because we don't do things like take 3 linemen in a row. A shitty dysfunctional franchise like Jerry Jones Dallas fixed itself just because they drafted linemen. Similarly, our defense just keeps drafting linebackers and filling the holes with old guys, instead of drafting J.J Watt when we picked right before Houston and we needed an OL.

Seriously, people. The way to build teams is to draft linemen until you have an elite OL, then work from there, or luck into a QB that makes the OL not matter. The thing is that getting quality QB play is almost pure chance and impossible to scout accurately while OL is easy to scout.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
That's the point. We have great skill guys atm in Garcon, Jackson and Roberts. 1 super talented QB and 1 decent backup that's better than at least 10 starters. Depth at TE. a Pro Bowl RB. What we don't have is an OL because we don't do things like take 3 linemen in a row. A shitty dysfunctional franchise like Jerry Jones Dallas fixed itself just because they drafted linemen. Similarly, our defense just keeps drafting linebackers and filling the holes with old guys, instead of drafting J.J Watt when we picked right before Houston and we needed an OL.

Seriously, people. The way to build teams is to draft linemen until you have an elite OL, then work from there, or luck into a QB that makes the OL not matter. The thing is that getting quality QB play is almost pure chance and impossible to scout accurately while OL is easy to scout.
You're using a lot of hindsight here to determine what your team should have done, which is a slippery slope. Sure, we know now that JJ Watt is the best defensive player of the last 10 years, but did we know he was going to be that when he was drafted? Of course not. Drafting, despite all the research that goes into it, still depends a good bit on chance. Not every first round talent transitions well into the NFL (most probably don't, but I don't have any hard stats to support it), and even less turn into high impact players like Watt and Tyron Smith. What's more, players may thrive in one system and bust in another. There's no guarantee JJ Watt would have nearly as much influence now if he had been drafted by the Redskins.

I think you have your disgruntled fan goggles on and are overlooking the talented pass rush your team has been drafting. Guys like Kerrigan have been quietly succeeding in their roles, and have still helped the team. At the time, your team's management and scouts (who, whether you want to admit it or not, know a hell of a lot more about football and talent acquisition than you do) felt these draft picks were the best choice for the team.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
In honor of Joe Flacco winning offensive player of the week, I've changed my avatar to something giving the great man his due tribute.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Let's hope so :D.

Also continuing my trend of posting interesting advanced analyics, I present to you DVOA.

1. DVOA is a method of evaluating teams, units, or players. It takes every single play during the NFL season and compares each one to a league-average baseline based on situation.
So this means that strength of schedule and all that are taken into account.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2014/week-6-dvoa-ratings.

By this metric, my beloved Ravens have been the second best team in the NFL behind the Broncos. Once again, it's not meant to be a replacement for the eye test (the Cowboys are only ranked 10th here, with reasoning explained in the link, where as most people would have them top 5) but just another way to look at teams. It's always fun trying to compare teams as fairly as possible when in the NFL each team plays a significantly different schedule.

from the url it's the Joseph Randle shoplifting story

as any kleptomaniac would claim, they do it more for the thrill than the value of the item... I don't want to make any claims about Randle's character, but if I had to guess petty shoplifting is probably something he's done before. either way I'd much rather this story in the news over anything about domestic abuse or DUIs or something.

Ampharos

tag walls, punch fascists
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I'm actually really happy about the Joseph Randle incident because it's a sure sign that the Cowboys truly have returned to their '90s form.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
I love having to repeatedly defend Bill Belichick and the Patriots defense every week from all my family members who think they understand football.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)