Project OU Theorymon [Voting: Check Post #3272]

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what happened for a while, but participation was so low that I guess we had do it this way again.

At least for myself, I completely ignore what everyone else votes on. look at how much better I am than everyone </facetious>

Isn't it better having all the votes PMd to a certain user like Alexwolf's theorymons, rather than having everyone see the votes and bandwagoning. Say I wanted Drizzle Blastoise or Snow Warning Glaceon, now that I've seen the votes I wouldn't vote for what I want given I know that they won't win and it is down to just Virizion and Cradily. I just think it is better when people vote for what they really want rather then what they want out of the things that will likely win.
We used to do that, but then we ended up getting roughly 10 votes per slate, so now we are doing it this way. If people are bandwagoning, that is entirely their problem, and nothing is stopping them from changing their votes until voting closes. Please vote for what you want--if it doesn't win, that's too bad. I also don't know if bandwagoning is really happening here, but the two theorymons receiving votes truly are the best ones of the slate.

Last edited:
Plus, this even helps people make their votes a bit more significant. Say your favorite is Glaceon, and in blind voting you would vote for it. Gee, that 1 vote for Glaceon had a huge impact on the vote.

Instead, say your second favorite was Cradily, or you really hate Virizion, you can now contribute to that and have an actual impact rather than waste your vote. Imagine if Cradily wins by 1 vote, and you almost voted for Glaceon. Sure one could argue that the voting was skewed by bandwagon, but one can also say it's more accurate because people can strategically vote to get their second-favorites in when their real favorites don't stand a chance.

Sand stream Cradily- because it can play both as a special wall and not just a weather slave giving it the most use

Last edited:
Okay I've spent the better part of the day debating on who the hell I'm voting for, so might as well voice my thoughts.

I've never been a big fan of weather. I ran it in gen five only to counteract the damn rain teams that were going bonkers, and felt that it was just a little much back then, leaving me with a sour taste. I see them now nerfed, but really, it doesn't change the fact they are still not my cup of tea. So I go looking at this slate, trying to not be bias, and am examining what each of these guys offer.

We got one the closest thing to a Water inducer Char-Y this side of ubers in Blastoise then proceeding to Mega-Evolve. It may still be bonked by Azumarill in the coverage department, and frankly may wish it could constantly use its rain, but its still a fun spammer. The issue it has is that you really get one shot for the spamming, so its not as ideal as Char Y in that sense so it becomes a one off (albeit a one off that can nuke the shit out of you with a hydro pump in rain + coverage so a very good one). Then you look to how it affects regular toise, and see that is almost a similar Politoed. They both lack reliable recovery, and Poli has better special bulk while Blast has more physical. So it comes down to what threats you want them to do, and then how much support they bring. Blast gets a step up in the fact it can also spin while bringing in rain yet hits for less than Poli (Poli has like base 90 to Blast's 85 so it is arguably not that significant). I give the edge to Blast cause frankly it would be nice to have a Weather bringer that isn't dead weight, and potentially later bring about a destruction if it needs to via a mega.

Then you get Virizion, which is, as I have stated, similar to a theorymon we had done in the last thread of Drought Torterra. The effect Tor had was great, and it really excelled at being a fantastic mon that took on the rival weather inducers and Virizion is a great step up from it just I can see it working very well and I have an idea of how it would, thus bringing weather battles back into the mix. Not something I really care to see, but Virizion would be one of the ideal inducers with Solarbeam spam, Synthesis, that speed tier, and the ability to beat Tar and Char-Y. Its great but I don't know if I want to see the Weatherness of it all.

Cradily is Cradily. If you haven't fought it, you haven't fought it before under sand which is something I've done way too much in monotype sometimes. It gets slightly less special bulk than TTar (due to Tar having that 100 HP stat) yet it becomes a much better sand inducer due to getting more benefits and countering more. Its like the rock variant of Hippowdon, just without the beautiful physical bulk and instead beautiful Special Bulk. He counters a lot of stuff in sand, and I would love to try him with Steelix (him or Hippowdon) on the server when ORAS is released but part of me hates giving sand ANOTHER damn tool. This is really unfair to Cradily itself, but friggin Sand and Rain get so much damn airtime that it drives me insane. When one controls the meta, the other doesn't, and then vice versa and Cradily would easily be beneficial in providing a key stop to rain just cause of it being able to absorb their numerous attacks as its not like TTar in wear and tear. If it wasn't for the fact sand is usually everywhere I might have gone straight to voting Cradily but frankly the fact that Sand is Sand makes me hold myself back.

Then you get the customary Black SHeep of the vote. Glaceon would like a nice buff, but instead we give it Snow Warning. While this was more us giving something hail to make it weather themed, it gave Glaceon a chance to spam Blizzards off its 130 special attack but really not much else. If there was some other benefit to using Snow Warning, then it would be an easy vote, but it does nothing else. Hurts all your teammates unless you are an ice type, makes this really unattractive to pick.

So who the hell do I pick? A great pick that makes Sun viable? A water nuke that just brings one of the most hated playstyles a new toy that doesn't suck like Poli did (and can potentially fire Water Spouts)? A sand inducer that deserves a buff, but does so with an annoying playstyle? Or just throwaway the vote with Snow Warning Glaceon?

In the spirit of Theorymon, i'll vote for the mon that needs the buff the most, even if I despise it. So basically I'm voting Cradily + Sand Stream just cause of all the mons, I think it is the one with the buff that will help it the best (cause as stated, this buff isn't what I believe will be the asset that helps Glaceon at all).

So anyway, that's my vote and junk. Happy voting to the rest of yall :D

kk

+ Sand Stream

The winner of this slate is Sand Stream Cradily

Votes:
  • Sand Stream Cradily: 12
  • Drought Virizion: 10
  • Drizzle Blastoise: 1
  • Snow Warning Glaceon: 1
New slate:

+ Regenerator (suggested by Snaquaza)

+ Prankster

+ Sticky Web

+ Tinted Lens

Ok then, let's get to routine here

edit: keep in mind if I'm a bit late on the slates, I haven't forgotten about this or anything, I'm probably just tired or want to extend the voting period

Last edited:
I'm really tired, so expect me to expand on this later…

• Regenerator Blissey: Holy. Mother. Of God. This is so good it makes me want to punch my face in. Not only would Blissey compete with Chansey, but it would actually earn a spot on offensive teams due to the ability to just WishBomb the metagame. Because it gets free heals, it really caters to a hit and run play style--allowing a really cool and diverse metagame. I would expect games themselves to last much longer and a lot of victories would be decided on who's Blissey goes down first. This would probably end up as a central figure of the metagame.

• Prankster Frosslass: One of my ideas, so I'll try to avoid bias. If you played UU at all in BW, you know how dangerous of a lead Frosslass could potentially be. Prankster basically allows Frosslass to do exactly that. With the ability to immediately lay down Spikes or Taunt, the next turn (or the turn after that) you could abuse a Prankster Destiny Bond. This is the ultimate hazard lead.

• Sticky Web Forretress: Another one of my ideas; I really wanted to incorporate Sticky Web more in the metagame, and originally I came up with Chesnaught because it's a really reliable Spikes setter in the metagame; however, that really contradicted flavor, so I decided to go with the next best bulky hazard layer: Forry. Forretress is really cool in that he can already lay SR and Spikes, he can Rapid Spin, and my personal favorite--he's got a slow Volt-Switch, allowing you to always make the best switch. Sticky Web would make Forretress much more viable in my opinion, as it would be the first truly good user of the move--which our metagame has long hungered for.

• Tinted Lens Flygon: This is probably where I'll spend more time expanding on in the future. We all know that Tinted Lens is a really cool ability, letting Flygon hit things harder with its CB or Scarf sets. Personally, I'm not entirely sure it's enough to pull Flygon out of relative obscurity, but I'll look more into it later (AKA do some calcs).

Prankster Froslass looks to be the best out of the four, at first glance. Prankster Taunt, Thunder Wave, Destiny Bond, Spikes, even funky stuff like Sub, Disable, Torment, Rain Dance, and Trick / Switcheroo, all that makes for a solid, flexible support mon for offensive teams.

Regenerator Blissey looks like it would be a solid counterpart to Chansey. Blissey hands out fewer free turns healing itself, which makes it far better at Wish passing and doing cleric stuff since it doesn't need to take care of itself as much.

Forretress doesn't improve that much with Webs. It's still incredibly passive, although with Webs it's a bit easier to regain the advantage if Webs are already down. Not sure if it'd be worth running this over Shuckle.

Flygon doesn't really profit from Tinted Lens imo, it's still too weak to put a proper dent in things even with Tinted Lens to nail resists.

Just want to touch on Regen Blissey, it looks almost exactly like a special Alomomola. Seeing how Mola is insanely good at wish passing, it would seem like Blissey would be as good or better at that job. Also seeing as Regen made Slowbro the top-tier threat it is it would seem like Blissey would be the go-to option for many teams, and have a useful niche over Chansey, aside from being crippled less from knock off

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Regenerator Blissey:

But on a serious note, Regenerator Blissey would be pretty annoying. Wish Passing would be ridiculous with this one, since you heal a teammate and Blissey at the same time, so this thing is sticking around for a LOOOOONG time. The extra bulk gained from Regenerator would easily rival the bulk Chansey gains from her Eviolite. Though that's not to say that Blissey herself would be a huge threat, since defensive Pokemon that can't hit back have a hard time standing out nowadays, and Blissey would be no exception. Would this be annoying as all hell? Yes, of course it would. Would this be a huge threat? Not that much more threatening then Chansey is.

Prankster Froslass: I think this is tied with Blissey as the most annoying Pokemon on this slate. With Prankster, Froslass has access to a whole arsenal of priority attacks, including Trick, Thunder Wave, Destiny Bond, Disable, Taunt, Spikes, Spite, and Pain Split. You can take down a sweeper not named Talonflame flawlessly with Destiny Bond, Guarantee at least 1 layer of Spikes, cripple sweepers and walls with Trick, and drain a Pokemon of its PP with Spite and make it easier for a Pokemon to revenge kill it. This is going to be very annoying, but at least Frosless won't last an eternity-and-a-half, unlike Satan. This gets my vote for sure.

Sticky Web Forretress: What make Sticky Web teams a shaky playstyle is the lack of a good Sticky Web user, with Shuckle being the best user, and even then, he's a little lacking. Sticky Web Forretress actually sounds like a decent idea, since he has Rapid Spin and Volt Switch for utility, as well as Explosion to safely bring in a teammate to sweep with and possibly weaken something enough for the switch-in to KO. He'd also be the only Pokemon in the game aside from Smeargle to have access to every field hazard move in the game, so he'd have some good versatility. There really isn't much to say here except that he'd be a pretty cool Theorymon.

Tinted Lens Flygon: This one... I'm not too sure about. On one hand, unresisted Outrages and Earthquakes are pretty sweet (Flying- and Fairy-types are still immune, mind you). On the other hand, I feel that he's still outclassed by Garchomp. Sure, unresisted STABs are nice to have and all, so Tinted Lens makes Choice Band sets harder to wall, but Flygon's stats vs. Garchomp's will always be steadfast in my mind. Is having STABs that can't be resisted really worth being an inferior Garchomp stat-wise? I'll leave that up to you all, but as for me, I'm not that impressed.

Hogg

grubbing in the ashes
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Oh good god, I would run as fast as possible in the opposite direction at a metagame with Regenerator Blissey in it.

Prankster Froslass is interesting, but I'm not really sure in a healthy way. Prankster Spike lead is fun, as playing around with Klefki has shown. I also really like Prankster Substitute/Pain Split, too. Prankster Taunt/D-bond is kind of poisonous, though, since it means you are basically flipping a coin or losing a team member. Thank goodness Froslass has no trapping moves.

Tinted Lens Flygon seems pretty cool.... except that without Levitate, it loses the easy switch-ins that were its one advantage over Garchomp. More importantly, the problem with its STABs are not resistances but immunities - Earthquake and Outrage are notorious for hitting hard despite resistances, but being locked into either one is still a big problem because the vast majority of teams will carry at least one member immune to one or both attacking types. Sure, being able to 2HKO Ferrothorn with CB Outrage is neat, but what do you do when they bring in Azumarill or Clefable? Since it absolutely needs a Choice Band to deal competitive damage, that's a problem in my books. If Flygon could somehow keep both Levitate AND Adaptability, though, I might be into it.

Sticky Web Forretress is my favorite of the bunch. It has always been annoying to me that this is the one entry hazard Forry didn't get. The ubiquity of Defog and the total lack of offensive presence on Forry's part means that Sticky Web is still probably not going to take OU by storm... but it'll be a heck of a lot more viable, and so will Forretress. I like this one.

Oh good god, I would run as fast as possible in the opposite direction at a metagame with Regenerator Blissey in it.

Prankster Froslass is interesting, but I'm not really sure in a healthy way. Prankster Spike lead is fun, as playing around with Klefki has shown. I also really like Prankster Substitute/Pain Split, too. Prankster Taunt/D-bond is kind of poisonous, though, since it means you are basically flipping a coin or losing a team member. Thank goodness Froslass has no trapping moves.

Tinted Lens Flygon seems pretty cool.... except that without Levitate, it loses the easy switch-ins that were its one advantage over Garchomp. More importantly, the problem with its STABs are not resistances but immunities - Earthquake and Outrage are notorious for hitting hard despite resistances, but being locked into either one is still a big problem because the vast majority of teams will carry at least one member immune to one or both attacking types. Sure, being able to 2HKO Ferrothorn with CB Outrage is neat, but what do you do when they bring in Azumarill or Clefable? Since it absolutely needs a Choice Band to deal competitive damage, that's a problem in my books. If Flygon could somehow keep both Levitate AND Adaptability, though, I might be into it.

Sticky Web Forretress is my favorite of the bunch. It has always been annoying to me that this is the one entry hazard Forry didn't get. The ubiquity of Defog and the total lack of offensive presence on Forry's part means that Sticky Web is still probably not going to take OU by storm... but it'll be a heck of a lot more viable, and so will Forretress. I like this one.
I'd like to reference Mega Banette here in regards to Prankster D-Bonds; it certainly exists, but it's not been unhealthy for OU in the slightest. Obviously they're not the same pokemon, but the principle of a priority D-Bond hasn't proved broken.

EDIT: I'd also like to address the issue of instantly killing an opposing sweeper with Destiny Bond. I think that while--yes--it is an easy button, it comes with a high opportunity cost. You're essentially devoting a teamslot to RK a setup sweeper--something that's really only going to be useful if the opponent has nothing threatening left. Additionally, playing with Frosslass is incredibly similar to playing with Gengar; it's incredibly skill dependent due to its frailty. You either need to switch into immunities, passive pokemon, or come in on the revenge to get it in safely. In a metagame as offensive as ours, I think Frosslass will fit in very nicely.

Second Edit:
One could argue that in Mega Banette's case, you need to wait a turn after Mega Evolving to abuse Prankster, and that makes his Destiny Bonds less effective.
Sure, but the mega evolution turn can be mitigated by using Protect. Either way, people haven't been rushing to abuse it.

Last edited:
Yet Janette is a flawed example cause it isn't callable of a turn one prankster, thus not making it upon the same level as say frosslass. While I agree d-bond crap isn't exactly the worst thing ever, just saying that Janette has flaws in trying to do its job of which frosslass doesn't have many of the same.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'd like to reference Mega Banette here in regards to Prankster D-Bonds; it certainly exists, but it's not been unhealthy for OU in the slightest. Obviously they're not the same pokemon, but the principle of a priority D-Bond hasn't proved broken.
One could argue that in Mega Banette's case, you need to wait a turn after Mega Evolving to abuse Prankster, and that makes his Destiny Bonds less effective.

The main flaw with Mega Banette I think is the fact that it uses your mega slot. It would be much better panic button were that not the case, along with the turn required TO mega evolve. Overall it's just lacking.

Froslass can Destiny Bond right away, doesn't take up your mega, and it also can do other cool things like set up spikes. Pretty cool (no pun intended)

Oh my

Blissey is scary. I think it's pretty safe to say it'd be a top tier threat, but not broken, but I have no intention of finding out.

Froslass is tricky. I hate Prankster, I think it's an incredibly stupid ability I wish had never been introduced, Froslass however I wouldn't mind too much. Prankster taunt, spikes, and destiny bond make it a great lead option. Throw on a Shadow Ball or Toxic and bam, great pokemon.

If only it didn't learn T Wave, then it'd almost certainly have my vote. Sacrificing your poke to stop a sweeper I can handle, but Prankster T Wave is just a cheap reusable get out of jail free card.

Forretress with Sticky Web is one I would not mind at all. Defog and air borne pokes are so common that it's hard to say this'll be that useful, but with proper support and play, this is a strategy that GF clearly thought would be hilarious to introduce but not make viable, and this would fix that.

Flygon with the complete lack of fear to spam outrage and EQ? Yes please. Choice sets would be good, but "good" doesn't really seem like enough for this slate.

Last edited:
Now I'm at a slight loss as to what to vote again. I got to think straight sometimes.

ATM we got Alomo V2 and Frosslass of Pranksterness. That's where I'm coming down to as I don't see sticky web skating Forretress much and Flygon as mention will need to watch out for the idiots immune to its attacks.

Yet a better Mega Banette (with usable STAbs!) Vs that regenerating monster. Gonna be intriguing just begs the question, do we really want a new offensive prankster? I'm not sure but its worth a shot if it means I don't have to see more pink blobs.

I don't think Frosslass would play anything like Thundurus as an offensive Prankster. I see it more as a hazard lead that can Taunt other leads, and then kill an opposing setup sweeper later in the game. Either way, it would go from UU to S ranked with this buff.

Also, Kairyu_Gen1 , I don't know if T Wave will make it broken. I really don't find Paralysis spam uncompetitive. I think it's a great thing if the metagame adapts to it and becomes more balanced than purely offensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)