Let's Play! Orange Islands Plays: The Rebirth

Alright, this Sunday's OI plays challenge is a challenge I came up with myself that's a variant of a few ideas I've heard here and there.

This week we'll be doing the No free healthcare challenge. In this challenge, there's no more free health care in the Pokemon world. Instead, every time you get a full party heal that isn't forced on you by the story you have to pay (toss) 20 of the highest level Pokeball you can buy (and you have to buy them, you can't just toss ones you get from other sources). This includes healing from NPCs and whiting/blacking out! If you can't pay your medical expenses, you go into debt. While in debt you can't spend any money on anything except paying off your debt. You also must immediately sell any and all items you pick up until your debt is paid. So it's probably a good idea to avoid going into debt eh?

EDIT: Thought of a loophole for the challenge. New rule to close it: withdrawing a Pokemon from your PC costs half as much as using a Pokemon center to heal, and must be paid every time you withdraw a Pokemon.

OI plays will start around 2pm EST on Sunday October 19th this week. See you there!
This hangout has now started! Click https://plus.google.com/hangouts/_/guta7c7iaj36foavjrjiwxrxqqa?hl=en to join in!

I'm going to be late to OI Plays again...annoying RL is annoying.

UPDATE: This post originally said I couldn't make it at all, but I got something done that I thought would take all day in a few hours, thus freeing up some time for OI Plays.

Last edited:
Alright, I've come up with a new challenge for this week and maybe a few after.

The "N" challenge:
Based around N from Black and White, this challenge is going to be a little different. You know how N always used local Pokemon to battle you and released them soon after? Well yeah, you're going to be doing that. The rule is that after every gym battle you need to release (or at least permanently box) all your Pokemon (except for one used to catch your first replacement, which is released immediately after capturing it). The new Pokemon you catch to replace them with must be from routes/areas you have not visited yet. An exception to this rule applies only when you need to use an HM to proceed but nothing available to you in new areas can learn it, in which case you can backtrack and catch a Pokemon that can use that HM.

I don't recommend doing this challenge with the 1st gen or their remakes due to the shallow level curve of the wild Pokemon in those games and the non-linear nature of the games complicating the second rule. I also don't think it'd work very well with the Colosseum games, or with GSC/HGSS postgame. Everything else should work alright though.

Hangout is this Sunday at 2pm EST, same as usual. See you there!

EDIT: Just gunna use this same post for info for this week too since it's gunna be the same. See yah in a few.
EDIT2: Same thing for this week. It'll be the same thing again, since most people are really just starting their N challenges due to ORAS and stuffs.
EDIT????: Seriously, people still haven't finished their N challenges and I haven't come up with anything else so might as well continue this week as well.

Last edited:
Given the challenge, there's only one version that I feel I should use: White 1. Even though I won't be able to stream it at the start, I think it will be fun!

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
I will be playing White version also, because that's the only game that I wouldn't feel bad about restarting. This should be interesting!

Last Sunday saw the defeat of Cress, the earning of the Trio Badge, and the induction of four Pokemon into my N Challenge Hall of Fame:

Pigma the Tepig was my MVP for this section. Despite Cress' Water-type specialty, Pigma's STAB Ember was extremely useful in both the Trainers leading up to him and the Cress fight itself.
Cavalier the Lillipup and Overpull the Patrat were both extremely useful as well. They both had STAB Tackle, and i really can't pick one over the other.
Finally, Mean Kitty the Purrloin was indeed mean. No STAB moves, weak stats, and hard leveling made me actually give up leveling Mean Kitty and declare it LVP.

Just bumping this back up to the first page for the most part, making sure people know this is still going on. A lot of people are still doing N challenges, but if people want to do something else that's fine! We will be hanging out on Sunday 2pm EST, same as usual. See you there!

We're going today in like 15 minutes. I haven't come up with a new challenge this week though it's probably time to come up with one. I just kinda forgot, I've been busy past couple weeks. Anyway, join IRC to get the link in a few.

deinosaur

now available in lowercase
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
If you guys haven't come to play with us yet, you're hugely missing out. Playing the wonder trade battles was tons of fun, enough so that it prompted me to go buy a headset.

I would say that people should definitely try this if they haven't before. Just stop by!

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
If you guys haven't come to play with us yet, you're hugely missing out. Playing the wonder trade battles was tons of fun, enough so that it prompted me to go buy a headset.

I would say that people should definitely try this if they haven't before. Just stop by!
Getting seemingly endless chains of Zizagoons/Poocheyenas and Wurmples isn't all that fun... But yeah, I had a great time last night and I think it was one of the biggest get togethers for us all too. I'll likely be trying out more Gold next week and probably taking part in some Wonder Trade battles (I am going to go and specifically catch a load of crap now). It's just a good time to talk/mess about and play! :)

Getting seemingly endless chains of Zizagoons/Poocheyenas and Wurmples isn't all that fun... But yeah, I had a great time last night and I think it was one of the biggest get togethers for us all too. I'll likely be trying out more Gold next week and probably taking part in some Wonder Trade battles (I am going to go and specifically catch a load of crap now). It's just a good time to talk/mess about and play! :)
I hear you there. I know this was on my Scramble, not my OI Plays file, but for a good 40-50 minutes I was encountering lots of Pokemon that I didn't want anything to do with: Zigzagoons, Poochyenas, Seedots, Wurmples, and two Ralts. (Actually this happened in my mono-blue run in OI Plays too, and in the same place - Route 102 in Hoenn!)

deinosaur

now available in lowercase
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just posting to say that there was a second round of OI Plays last night that led to a couple hours of hilariously fun iSketch.

Goes to show that we're not all about playing challenges, and sometimes we're about 5 non-artists scrambling to draw Pokemon themes. Join us for a good time! Hopefully we'll play again soon.

Forgot to come up with something again, come swing my anyway. We'll do things! Probably more Wonder Trade battles and people can continue N runs or whatever, maybe we'll do more Pokemon iSketch. Just come on in, it's a lot of fun!

Due to me sleeping in again and there being heavy snow I need to shovel, I'll be late for this weeks OI plays. It'll start as soon as I'm able to get online. Cya then!

OI plays is on this week. Kinda giving up on the "suggested challenge" thing since we usually just end up doing random crap anyway. I'll have the hangout up in like 15 minutes or so, join in IRC to get the link.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)