Project The PU Viability Ranking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The problem is that it is entirely outclassed by Tauros and Bouff, who can fullfill the same rolls as Stoutland except better. Scrappy is alright, but tbh there really arent that many Ghost-types in the tier (4 including Shedinja lol), and nothing that a prediction and a Crunch cant handle. The reason they should be the same rank is cause Hippo and Stoutland should always be used on the same team together. Its like Hitmonchan in RU, it isnt a bad Pokemon, its just entirely outclassed by Hitmonlee in w/e it wants to do, its the same situation with Stoutland.
Idk, I find that scrappy ends up being useful in a large amount of battles I have. Misdreavus, Dusclops, Dusknoir, Haunter, and Gourgeist (6 with sheddy) are all fairly common, and Stoutland is the only one out of the three normal types to get crunch as well. The best Tauros can do is pursuit, and Bouffalant just has to hope stone edge hits and does a lot.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Idk, I find that scrappy ends up being useful in a large amount of battles I have. Misdreavus, Dusclops, Dusknoir, Haunter, and Gourgeist (6 with sheddy) are all fairly common, and Stoutland is the only one out of the three normal types to get crunch as well. The best Tauros can do is pursuit, and Bouffalant just has to hope stone edge hits and does a lot.
You forgot about Crunch Ursaring btw, and don't include the Dusks because they overlap entirely with Misdreavus / Gourgeist, so you might as well scratch them off the list.

I'm not sure if Stoutland's anti-Ghost measures is worth using over Tauros's inherently superior offensive stats, Ursaring's immunity to status (mainly Will-O-Wisp), or over Bouffalant's bulk. The thing is that the other Normal-types don't do that badly against Ghost-types, since Haunter is hardly a problem for them (bar SubSD Bouff which is meant to break stall anyway) while Gourgeist fears Tauros's Fire Blast and Guts Ursaring's Swords Dance boosted attacks, which also handle Avalugg and Tangela as well. Not to mention Tauros and Ursaring receive their respective power boosts without being Choice-locked. Scrappy Stoutland seems fine but isn't particularly a sought-after niche, while Sand Rush is practically what defines Stoutland.

Last edited:

MZ

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm not necessarily saying it's better than any other mon, but I have been using banded Stoutland due to its unique combo of speed, unresisted moves, and ability to hit the defensive ghosts. Intimidate is also an overlooked option only shared by the mediocre Krokorok and non-guts Luxray, and Tauros, which is defensively lacking. Stoutland has reason for existing outside of sand, which is why Hippo and Stoutland don't need to stay together on the viability rankings. I support Hippo moving up because sand is underrated, but not because the two have to be together.

Punchshroom

I'm not necessarily saying it's better than any other mon, but I have been using banded Stoutland due to its unique combo of speed, unresisted moves, and ability to hit the defensive ghosts.
Lemme provide you with an analogy real quick:

"Specs Kadabra with Trick is certainly workable, but there is little reason to use it over Life Orb Kadabra, since Magic Guard provides it with a free boost while allowing it to switch moves. There are also very few targets Specs Kadabra beats that LO Kadabra does not."

Replace 'Specs Kadabra' with 'Stoutland outside of Sand', and replace 'LO Kadabra' with 'Sand Rush Stoutland / various other Normal-type attackers', and that is pretty much the overall situation with Stoutland here.

Intimidate is also an overlooked option only shared by the mediocre Krokorok and non-guts Luxray, and Tauros, which is defensively lacking.
Intimidate is not just a defensive ability, it allows the Pokemon to check physical attackers. For the record, Tauros's Defense stat is not shabby at all, and I don't see why Tauros makes any less use of the ability than Stoutland; if anything Tauros can use it more efefctively since it heavily weakens priority attacks which are commonly used against Tauros due to its high speed, whereas some priority users can use their stronger attacks against Stoutland.

Stoutland has reason for existing outside of sand, which is why Hippo and Stoutland don't need to stay together on the viability rankings.
They aren't very good reasons though. Stoutland by itself is not bad, but the problem is that it faces severe competition should it try anything else. Scrappy is okay but it's not like the other Normal-types (including itself!) have absolutely no way to circumvent most of the tier's Ghosts via other means. Again, the likes of Tauros and Ursaring don't even have to be Choice Banded to start hitting super hard and can bypass other physical walls such as Tangela and Avalugg, unlike Stoutland. Stout's best niche over other Normal-types is outspeeding everything in the tier bar Ditto (and Cloud Nine Golduck LOL), and it needs Hippo's help to do so.

I support Hippo moving up because sand is underrated, but not because the two have to be together.
Normally I'd say that the weather inducer can be classified in a different category from the weather abusers (aka BW Politoed) since it alone defines the playstyle. However, since Stoutland is the sole Sand sweeper, and Hippo and Stoutland are the ONLY things in the tier that define Sand and practically need each other, grouping them together is logical, and serves as a clear indicator on how viable the Sand playstyle is in PU as a whole.

Last edited:

MZ

Lemme provide you with an analogy real quick:

"Specs Kadabra with Trick is certainly workable, but there is little reason to use it over Life Orb Kadabra, since Magic Guard provides it with a free boost while allowing it to switch moves. There are also very few targets Specs Kadabra beats that LO Kadabra does not."

Replace 'Specs Kadabra' with 'Stoutland outside of Sand', and replace 'LO Kadabra' with 'Sand Rush Stoutland / various other Normal-type attackers', and that is pretty much the overall situation with Stoutland here.

Intimidate is not just a defensive ability, it allows the Pokemon to check physical attackers. For the record, Tauros's Defense stat is not shabby at all, and I don't see why Tauros makes any less use of the ability than Stoutland; if anything Tauros can use it more efefctively since it heavily weakens priority attacks which are commonly used against Tauros due to its high speed, whereas some priority users can use their stronger attacks against Stoutland.

They aren't very good reasons though. Stoutland by itself is not bad, but the problem is that it faces severe competition should it try anything else. Scrappy is okay but it's not like the other Normal-types (including itself!) have absolutely no way to circumvent most of the tier's Ghosts via other means. Again, the likes of Tauros and Ursaring don't even have to be Choice Banded to start hitting super hard and can bypass other physical walls such as Tangela and Avalugg, unlike Stoutland. Stout's best niche over other Normal-types is outspeeding everything in the tier bar Ditto (and Cloud Nine Golduck LOL), and it needs Hippo's help to do so.

Normally I'd say that the weather inducer can be classified in a different category from the weather abusers (aka BW Politoed) since it alone defines the playstyle. However, since Stoutland is the sole Sand sweeper, and Hippo and Stoutland are the ONLY things in the tier that define Sand and practically need each other, grouping them together is logical, and serves as a clear indicator on how viable the Sand playstyle is in PU as a whole.
I believe you conveniently ignored its niche as a normal type that doesn't just give Gourgeist, Misdreavus, or Dusclops/noir a free willo every time it comes in and avoids all the problematic 50-50's of hitting the ghost or killing what's currently out with facade/return/rock climb which. I pointed out. Only Ursaring and Stoutland can consistently deal with the defensive ghost types, and Stoutland can't be played around by just switching in between Misdreavus and Poliwrath until it dies to poison, and is also much faster than Ursaring. Stoutland also can get past Avalugg with Superpower after rocks, although Tangela is an issue (but tbh Tauros is gonna miss two fire blasts anyway). Perhaps my judgement is skewed from using Stoutland really successfully outside of sand too much, but I see a real niche here.

Punchshroom

I believe you conveniently ignored its niche as a normal type that doesn't just give Gourgeist, Misdreavus, or Dusclops/noir a free willo every time it comes in and avoids all the problematic 50-50's of hitting the ghost or killing what's currently out with facade/return/rock climb which I pointed out.
Look, I pointed that out long ago that I get what you're saying: spammable Normal-type STAB galore right? The problem is that Rock-types are much more prevalent than Ghost-types in PU (and Haunter is going to get slaughtered by fast Normal-types anyway), meaning the appeal of CB Returning everything is somewhat diminished; Stoutland is still going to have predict substantially, especially considering the threat level of PU Rock-types. If this were a Ghost-heavy meta, then Scrappy Stoutland would seem more appealing. CB Return doesn't even 2HKO Gourgeist (and cough Dusclops) anyway.

Only Ursaring and Stoutland can consistently deal with the defensive ghost types, and Stoutland can't be played around by just switching in between Misdreavus and Poliwrath until it dies to poison, and is also much faster than Ursaring. Stoutland also can get past Avalugg with Superpower after rocks, although Tangela is an issue (but tbh Tauros is gonna miss two fire blasts anyway). Perhaps my judgement is skewed from using Stoutland really successfully outside of sand too much, but I see a real niche here.
Ursaring can punish pivot switches with Swords Dance and wreck almost anything that tries to switch in afterward. Quick Feet Ursaring is also stronger and faster than Stoutland, can switch moves (particularly, being able to boost) and isn't bothered by burns (albeit at the cost of HP), while Guts Ursaring outspeeds the slow Pokemon that it needs to break anyway (there are only a handful of notable Pokemon Stoutland outspeeds that Guts Ursa doesn't, some of can only be KOed with coverage moves or not at all). Stoutland needs Stealth Rock to bypass Avalugg, unlike the other Normal-types which can overwhelm Avalugg with special attacks or boosting moves, which also applies to other targets such as Tangela and Gourgeist.

As I've stated a couple of times. Scrappy Stoutland is usable, but doesn't grant a large enough niche for it to be separated from Hippo. Using Scrappy Stoutland means you're either giving up speed, power, or the ability to switch up moves (which Stoutland still needs to do btw) that other Normal-types already have, aka opportunity cost.

Last edited:

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Honestly I don't see the problem with Scrappy Stoutland. Nothing else in PU is a Scrappy Normal-type and being one means Stoutland can afford to give up Crunch for something better (Thunder Wave, Pursuit, Sleep Talk, and whatnot). I'm not saying it's a great option but it's not as shitty as it's being made out to be, in my opinion.

Anyway, I don't really care either way but let me put it out that I disagree that Stoutland should be ranked alongside Hippo, not just for above reason. I'm saying this because Stoutland is more important than Hippo on sand teams. Hippo doesn't do shit except set up sand and maybe support a little. However, Hippo is pretty bad without Stoutland, but not vice-versa. To illustrate, I would rather sac Hippo than sac Stoutland. (hope I'm making sense :/) anyway this is a little trivial so hopefully we don't erupt into 10-page long discussions, and then again I don't mind if we do decide to put them together. These are just my thoughts.

Klang from B- to B honestly. Klang is definitely the top offensive steel type in the tier which carries bulk and the godly Shift Gear. It's typing is right off the bat great, and though it may not have the best movepool, Gear Grind and Wild Charge hit a majority of the tier pretty hard, especially considering the fact that Gear Grind has the ability to hit through sub/sash/sturdy (like Kadabra lol). It deals with Musharna, a widely debated threat, pretty well too, since it can set up Shift Gears while Mushy is crying (exaggerated, but still). It's honestly not that bad. Not affected by sticky webs or intimidate either, though there are not very many intimidate pokemon that stand out in PU. I still think it's good enough to get it to B rank, honestly.

Stou is more than a sand thing, is a good member of normal spam because scrappy is a good answer to sub disable haunter and inti is a mini intimidate tauros than let you use LO Tauros.
And Scrappy Retaliate is pretty cool.
He is like RBY Snorlax, feels like using two Tauros in a team.
Stou have more than one niche, meanwhile hippo only have one, and is only used because Stou, who can fight even when hippo is dead.

And also, i feel than whe cannot give new ranks to any of musha checks (like Klang), until the suspect ends. Because all of them can lose a good niche (or not, but i say yes)

Last edited:
Reactions: MZ
Lickilicky for A+

In a nutshell, Lickilicky is the best cleric of PU, with extremely high HP and defenses for the tier. And due to Oblivious, nothing can prevent you from doing Wish or Heal Bell.
Another cool thing about Lickilicky is the fact that it doesn't let everything setup because of its 85 BS Atk, and access to an extensive movepool that include attacks like Knock Off, Dragon Tail, Body Slam, or even Power Whip ( You know, Shell Smashers )

Also, this isn't over, Lickilicky can do way more than that. As i said before, Lickilicky's movepool is extensive as hell, allowing it to be an effective setup sweeper with Swords Dance or Curse, it can even use a Choice Band effectively due to his access to one of the strongest moves ever: STAB Explosion.

Overall, Lickilicky is suitable in almost every team because of its versatility. To me, that's enough to make Lickilicky A+.

Solrock for B-

One of the best check of Tauros in the tier, access to a pretty sweet movepool, including rocks, Wisp, Recovery,Trick & Trick Room. STAB Stone Edge from this thing kinda hurts too, allowing it not to let everything set up, which is a nice advantage.

Fearow down to C-

Other than Drill Run and U-Turn, Fearow has nothing over Dodrio, who has Knock Off, Brave Bird, and overall better stats.

Marowak up to A-

This thing is an absolute monster, getting a nice movepool, decent abilities and stats, and Thick Club. Bonemerang allows to screw over Sturdy and Sash users like Golem, Carracosta, and Kadabra, Knock Off to hit Haunter(and Mush), Rock Head Double Edge is always nice, and it can be good support due to good defenses, SR, and Perish Song. Overall, it is a great Pokemon that either almost nothing wants to switch into, or a decent lead that still hits hard.

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Marowak up to A-/A
I can vouch for this, Marowak is an amazing Pokemon in this metagame. It's one of the few Pokemon that can 2HKO Musharna without being crippled by Thunder Wave. It's a semi-reliable SR setter, but it is also very good at BEATING common Defoggers and Avalugg (very little can claim this). It stops Golem and Bastiodon from setting up, demolishes most slower Pokemon, and is bulky enough to live a moderately strong physical attack. It also has decent typing, checking Electric-types and deterring obnoxious Volt Switch spam. One of the strongest Knock Off users. Hell, most of its (few) counters absolutely hate switching into Knock Off, notably Tangela. It can't fit every team due to its low Speed and special bulk, hence me not saying A+, but A- or even A sounds more that fair.

Swadloon from Unlisted to C

REVISITED: I now agree that Swadloon is outclassed as a Sticky Web setter by Kricketune and Leavanny (see previous pages and Punchshroom's response on the next page); it is also outclassed as a physical wall by Tangela (see Darnell's response).

Last edited:
Marowak up to A-/A
I can vouch for this, Marowak is an amazing Pokemon in this metagame. It's one of the few Pokemon that can 2HKO Musharna without being crippled by Thunder Wave. It's a semi-reliable SR setter, but it is also very good at BEATING common Defoggers and Avalugg (very little can claim this). It stops Golem and Bastiodon from setting up, demolishes most slower Pokemon, and is bulky enough to live a moderately strong physical attack. It also has decent typing, checking Electric-types and deterring obnoxious Volt Switch spam. One of the strongest Knock Off users. Hell, most of its (few) counters absolutely hate switching into Knock Off, notably Tangela. It can't fit every team due to its low Speed and special bulk, hence me not saying A+, but A- or even A sounds more that fair.
Just running calcs for the lazy folks:
0 Atk Avalugg Avalanche vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Marowak: 270-320 (103.4 - 122.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak Head Smash vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Avalugg: 238-282 (60.5 - 71.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak Head Smash vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Avalugg: 304-358 (77.3 - 91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

0 SpA Musharna Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Marowak: 124-147 (47.5 - 56.3%) -- 84% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Musharna: 268-316 (61.4 - 72.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Left
overs recovery

I vote for Marowak to A-/A.

Darnell

Respected.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Swadloon from Unlisted to C+.
[I would also like to know why Leavanny is ranked at B if anyone could explain. I know it's the tier's fastest Sticky Web setter and it outspeeds Kricketune's Taunt but other than that, is there a reason for its high ranking?]

Although it's very obviously outclassed as a physical wall by Tangela, it still reaches 306 Defense without Eviolite. (Tangela reaches 360 without Eviolite for comparison's sake.) Unlike Tangela, though, Swadloon has access to Sticky Web and its Special Defense is stronger! With Synthesis for recovery and access to Toxic and Magic Coat, Swadloon becomes a counter to the majority of physical threats, can take non-super-effective special attacking moves fairly well, and with a good prediction of the unexpected Magic Coat, you wall out every taunter in the tier bar the Flying-type leads like Chatot, Murkrow, and Vullaby.
Sorry but no.

For one, Leavanny isn't even that good so I have no clue why we would need to promote Swadloon. You can't even compare it to Tangela...
  • It has access to Regenerator
  • Has Knock Off
  • Tangela has better Special Attack
  • Tangela has better Defense
  • Tangela has better Speed
  • Tangela has less weaknesses
  • Tangela has access to more moves; Leech Seed and Sleep Powder
  • It's versatile
Swadloon is hardly a 'counter' and is outclassed by other specially defensive Pokemon. Lickilicky and Bastiodon are two examples. There isn't too many special attackers high up in the viability ranking thread and the ones that are have super effective moves against it anyways such as Haunter, Ninetales and Chatot.

Adding on, Swadloon has a horrible defensive typing, bad abilities(Overcoat, just what I wanted!), no offensive presence, and most high ranked Pokemon have something super effective against it.

Also, Marowak doesn't get Head Smash.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I agree with moving Marowak up, nothing can "wall" it as it can pretty much 2HKO the entire tier.

There is absolutely no reason to rank LC / NFE Pokemon that do not fulfill a niche. Swadaloon is completely outclassed by any of the 3 Sticky Web setters that PU has to offer, and to clutter up the lower ranks with stuff like that is unnecessary. Also your calcs with Marowak dont really show anything lol, cause like the above said Marowak can't learn Head Smash and Musharna is banned.

Wait, Mush is banned?

So, looking at it, there is going to be a change to the rankings, Sneasel moving down being a big possibility, as well as Poliwrath moving up to S being a good possibility as well. In a nutshell, things are going to get even more and even less viable.

Sneasel wasn't put in s rank because it checked musharna, it was there because of its speed tier, high power, good stabs, priority and a few other things. It definitely hasn't got worse.
Yes, I know, and it is still an amazing Pokemon, even without Musharna, I was simply saying it has lost a big niche with Mush being banned.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yes, I know, and it is still an amazing Pokemon, even without Musharna, I was simply saying it has lost a big niche with Mush being banned.
I mean Musharna could literally set up on non SD Sneasel ?.? So I dont think it was put in S rank for that reason, lep was saying that Sneasel was an S rank mon regardless of Musharna. And its biggest niche is what lep stated, not checking mushy.

I mean Musharna could literally set up on non SD Sneasel ?.? So I dont think it was put in S rank for that reason, lep was saying that Sneasel was an S rank mon regardless of Musharna. And its biggest niche is what lep stated, not checking mushy.
Alright then, I haven't laddered or used either Pokemon much so I shouldn't make assumptions like that xD

Musha is banned, adjust your rankings accordingly.

Anyway, my nominations:

A+ ---> S

Tauros is a great Pokemon in the current meta, and thus I believe it should be S. With Sheer Force, the amazing 110 speed tier, and good coverage allows Tauros to be a really good wallbreaker. Tauros' bulk is not to be taken for granted either, as while 75/95/70 bulk would not be acceptable in higher tiers, but in PU, it lets Tauros check/beat multiple threats such as Brick Break-less Sneasel (SD), Tangela (w/ Sheer Force Fire Blast which most run), and more. Overall, Tauros is great in PU, even better with Mushy no longer walling it, and deserves S

A- ---> B+/B

While Shell Smash in PU may be a great selling point, generally there's no reason to use Huntail over Carracosta/Barbaracle (mainly Carracosta but I won't get into the whole Carra/Barbaracle argument). Even with Shell Smash, its coverage is pretty bad (just like Crunch and Ice Fang/Beam for coverage other than obligatory Return), and for now, Smash + Sucker Punch is illegal, making one of the only niches it would have invalid. Honestly, there's no reason to use Huntail other than SmashPass, which with low speed and bad SpD, common special attackers, as well as phazers (Throh/Poliwrath are kinda common and viable), just use the two premier Smashers, Carracosta and Barbaracle, and thus I think Huntail should go down 1/2 ranks.

My points (which are probably invalid and bad)

Last edited:

Punchshroom

I would also like to know why Leavanny is ranked at B if anyone could explain. I know it's the tier's fastest Sticky Web setter and it outspeeds Kricketune's Taunt but other than that, is there a reason for its high ranking?
I would say Leavanny having the greatest offensive presence among the Sticky Webbers (not saying much :/ ) is what puts it at its spot, which is not even really that high. Leavanny's Leaf Storm can take down / pressure popular Stealth Rock leads or anti-leads such as Piloswine, Golem, and Rampardos, while also allowing it to hit hard in general (particularly against Rapid Spinners such as Avalugg and Wartortle, which Kricketune cannot stop). Its high speed means that Leavanny is by no means pressured to lead in order to set up Sticky Web, as it can set up Web against a larger variety of opponents even with its Sash broken.

Kricketune is still superior due to the popularity of Defog users over Rapid Spinners and greater utility in Knock Off and Endeavor, but Leavanny definitely has its perks.

A- ---> B+/B

While Shell Smash in PU may be a great selling point, generally there's no reason to use Huntail over Carracosta/Barbaracle (mainly Carracosta but I won't get into the whole Carra/Barbaracle argument). Even with Shell Smash, its coverage is pretty bad (just like Crunch and Ice Fang/Beam for coverage other than obligatory Return), and for now, Smash + Sucker Punch is illegal, making one of the only niches it would have invalid. Honestly, there's no reason to use Huntail other than SmashPass, which with low speed and bad SpD, common special attackers, as well as phazers (Throh is kinda common and viable), just use the two premier Smashers, Carracosta and Barbaracle, and thus I think Huntail should go down 1/2 ranks.

My points (which are probably invalid and bad)
SmashPass alone is what puts Huntail so high just saying; no one uses a pure Smash Huntail. Huntail's good physical bulk also allows it to set up on most physical attackers too, which is helped by its low (initial) speed.

Im for moving up Marowak to A rank.

And also, is better to wait a bit before talk about the things than maybe are better or worse in the musharna-less meta. We cannot know for sure how much the meta can change after some test,... well, Poli is god Tier obv.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)