The Legend of Korra (Spoilers ITT)

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I honestly think now that they are setting up Wu for more than just comedy relief, he might actually redeem himself and then set aside his lineage for something better. Calling it now.

I'm enjoying all these avatar avatars : p

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
That sounds plausible, we know from the trailer that Kuviera's going to be leading an army attack at some point, and if it's in the finale, it makes sense for Wu to turn around and lead the counterattack, only to say ra ra pro democracy at the end. (It'd also complete the cycle, season one was communism, season two was religious extremism, season three was anarchy, and season four is fascism)

Also, for all the hate against Kuviera (which I side with), Republic City's plan could have been interpreted as using Wu as a proxy for a shadow government, not the most noble of endeavors (that Tenzin's backing it makes me think that it's more genuine though).

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Such great episodes, such a great season. I really can't believe people that think Kuvira isn't p evil right now; we've heard evidence from the governor that she's pretty much forced all the towns to join her. I'm sure we'll see something, and judging by the trailer we'll just have mechasuit wars between stuff.

I'm still annoyed that The MacGuffin is still in Korra's body and still relevant to the story. What, Su can't remove mercury from Korra? Zaheer had better metalbenders putting the poison in than Su???

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
It's generally easier to stuff something into a body than to safely get stuff out of it, but yes this seemed like a lazy reason for her to still be weak.

Kuvira strikes me as an entirely pragmatic force in the Avatar universe. We saw these towns. Starving, beset by bandits, in no way self sustainable in a post-Earth Kingdom world. If Kuivera had to bully any town just to give them some central leadership, then good on her. The alternative here isn't even democracy or independence, it's more inept monarchy. So yeah, until the inevitable heel-turn people are being way too fucking savvy here.

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
IDK, the mayor's rant about her being after the minerals came back around with the "we can't mess with Kuviera she controls all of the materials Republic City needs)

Again, I do agree that none of Kuviera's current actions have been malignant, but I can guess as to the dirty behind the scenes that helped make up her current actions.

FireMage

Disgraced
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I'm still annoyed that The MacGuffin is still in Korra's body and still relevant to the story. What, Su can't remove mercury from Korra? Zaheer had better metalbenders putting the poison in than Su???
I think we have to question if Su wanted / Intended to remove it all. After all, she thinks that having a royal family is outdated; who's to say she also thinks having a"traditional" Avatar is also outdated?

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
IDK about that Su and Lin were both there during the extraction right, who is to say that someone might have been able to tell she was intentionally leaving some behind? There wasn't really any way she could have predicted this enough to plan ahead and know how to bend 'the right amount away'. Thinking on the fly wouldn't be very useful because if she didn't take enough out we'd just get another avatar early and a source of more problems.

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I'd like to think that someone from a family with so close ties to the Avatar wouldn't consider putting the Avatar out of commission when the Avatar is an invaluable ally and has helped save her own immediate family. I don't think there's any resources that Su is illegally trying to horde or hosting anything illegal that would require getting the Avatar out of the picture, and we know she's against Kuvira.

Though it just might be that there is a resource she wants hidden and that's the reason she's against Kuvira's regime. So I guess anything is possible, but that would create a character with depth that we just haven't seen thus far in the Avatar universe (or at least wasn't revealed/hinted at prior), so if it does turn out to be true I guess I wouldn't be too upset in the end 9.9.

FireMage

Disgraced
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
tbh, the choice of Su bending it out of Korra rather than Lin (whom I assume has equal skill in metalbending) is kinda what is arousing my suspicions.

No-one but Toph figured there was some left behind, and the only one (at least we know of) that had even searched korra for it was Su.

It's the theory I want to go by.

I do accept that it could be completely accidental and / or be so deep seated that it is very difficult to extract. But neither is any fun to think about.

Redew

κακκῶ σεαυτόν
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Iirc Su was a better metalbender than Lin (I think they said this somewhere), but I wouldn't think too much about that. It was a life or death situation.

Also, Toph said that her girls weren't the best metalbenders. She wasn't surprised that they couldn't sense the poison in her.

Aldaron

geriatric
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Lol, I think you guys might be over thinking this when we have direct evidence from the show itself...

Namely, Toph says her girls aren't great metal benders -> therefore whoever tried might not have gotten it all.

Pretty sure that for now that is all that it is lol

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Excited for the big fight at Su's being hinted at from the guards. Loved all the throwbacks in this episode and nice to see Milo, Iggy, and Jinora interacting again, they have some great dialogue together.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
pretty 'meh' episode but I suppose something of this nature had to happen so that's fine. I also did enjoy some of the throwbacks, though I feel they were a bit unnecessary.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Am I the only one who finds the kids really annoying? :/ This seemed like the worst episode so far to me, but the scenes with Toph and Korra and the beautiful shot of the tree and swamp in the sunset were great at least.

I also am looking forward to the big fight that's gonna happen in Zao Fu soon.

SnoopingGil

professional lurker
finally caught up with seasons 3 and 4 so I can watch this thread now whoo

This episode felt like a bit like a recycled version of "The Swamp", but I do like that the context was different (the swamp is leading someone else to the Avatar instead of the other way around, while Korra has to deal with her internal problems rather than an external one). I agree with Hulavuta that the kids' subplot became extremely cheesy; I'd rather have Jinora just talk it out with Ikki and Meelo than watch them all go "I'd never have done X if it weren't for you!" one after the other.

I'm also a little disappointed that there was no ending cliffhanger. Where's my weekly dose of hype? :(

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Wasn't a huge fan of this episode, Meelo was pretty annoying, Ikki is a very bland character, and Jinora has this whole "holier-than-thou" attitude. The interactions between Toph and Korra are nice though.

Also, does anyone else like to imagine that Toph went back into the cave and started blasting metal?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)