The Walking Dead

*the old thread is over a year old so I figured I'd make a new one*

Any other Smogoner's watch this show/read the comics? It's kinda my favorite show on atm, and I know that it's extremely popular right now so I'm hoping we could get a thread started.

Season 5 is going to premier next month, in case anyone has missed the trailer:

I guess some questions to get the ball rolling:

Do you read the comics?

Who's your favorite character?

Favorite season?

Favorite TWD moment?

If you couldn't tell from my avvy my favorite character is Shane. He's kinda my obsession lol.

Not the biggest problem with having Shane as a favourite character tbh
Kinda became a long post.

My favorite characters are actually some of the least liked on the show - namely Shane, Lori, and Andrea. Of course I like Rick, Michonne, and Daryl like everyone else, but those 3 are still my absolute favorites. Although I guess I stray from the majority of TWD fans again when I say that Season 2 was my favorite. From what I've heard that season gets hated on pretty often because of "lol farm" and such.

Now, don't get me wrong, the fact that I find Shane attractive is a major reason that I like the character, but there is still much more to it than that, and it all has to do with Bernthal's ability as an actor. That's why S1/2 were my favorites.

There were so many great and authentic lines and moments in Season 1 and 2. I think it had to do with the fact that the characters were still themselves, that is, they acted how they did in society before the plague hit. To me, they felt like your average, run-of-the-mill American who assumed they would be rescued and return to life as usual. I felt like the characters were much more relate able back than, and the dialogue felt genuine.

On to Shane/Bernthal, I repeat that the first reason why I enjoy the character so much is Bernthal's ability as an actor. I felt like his portrayal of Shane is spot on, and it brought a lot to the group dynamic, especially in the second season. Bernthal had this ability to portray him in an authentic and genuine way. When I watched him on the screen I never felt like I was watching an actor in a role, I felt like I was watching "Shane." Nothing that ever came out of his mouth ever felt scripted. His performance made me feel like I knew him, like he was someone I met before.

Anyway, I can go on for days but I'll just leave it there.

Do you read the comics?

Who's your favorite character?

Favorite season?

Favorite TWD moment?
1) Yuppers.

2) My husbando Daryl.

3) 1 and 3 are pretty close. I like 1 because of the sheer desperation you feel as you witness Rick travelling alone until he meets up with the group, but 3 has the better plot.

4) The scene from S2 where they try to get the walker out of the well because they think once they do the water will be clean again.

1) Yuppers.

2) My husbando Daryl.

3) 1 and 3 are pretty close. I like 1 because of the sheer desperation you feel as you witness Rick travelling alone until he meets up with the group, but 3 has the better plot.

4) The scene from S2 where they try to get the walker out of the well because they think once they do the water will be clean again.
Lol I liked that scene as well. Especially T-Dogs snarky comment afterwards "Good thing we didn't do anything stupid like shoot it."

My favorite scene in the show so far is definitely the barn scene in S2. I wish Darabont was still the director, but I felt the scene was still done beautifully. And when Sophia came out of the barn, it was one of the few "holy shit" moments S2 had.

Maybe it's me, but why does everyone seem to want Daryl to be gay this season? Always thought that was about the stupidest thing to come up, it's almost as bad as JK Rowling christening Dumbledore as gay after the fact just because its the "hip" thing to do apparently now just to reach for more viewers/sales. I mean with the women they've had to deal with, I sure as hell wouldn't want to have sex or anything to do with 99% of them in the zombie apocalyptic world.

Last edited:

Crux

Banned deucer.
Carl is definitely gay btw I'm pretty sure that's what all the discussions about his secret and relationship with michaune were about.

Maybe it's me, but why does everyone seem to want Daryl to be gay this season? Always thought that was about the stupidest thing to come up, it's almost as bad as JK Rowling christening Dumbledore as gay after the fact just because its the "hip" thing to do apparently now just to reach for more viewers/sales. I mean with the women they've had to deal with, I sure as hell wouldn't want to have sex or anything to do with 99% of them in the zombie apocalyptic world.
It's definitely not everyone.

Daryl has a huge fan base and a vocal minority wants him to be gay. The majority of the females would be devastated. So would his male fanboys who idolize him and would feel that suddenly realizing he likes the d*ick would make him less of a man's man and not relatable. Yes there are many crazies out there that having Daryl be gay would totally ruin the character for them.

Honestly Daryl being gay wouldn't shock me in the slightest. We've already seen from his backstory that he has a problem of shutting people out - something common with gay people. His upbringing has made him an expert at this. It's not like he had a peachy life pre-apocalypse. If he is gay it's something he wouldn't easily share with just anyone. He's only recently started to trust and become very close with the group.

Also even just common sense here.....every other major (and even minor) male character has been seen doing something sexual with a woman or mentioning their wife, etc... Shane, Glenn, Merle, Rick, the Gov, Morgan, Tyreese, Dale....heck, even the inmates at the prison made their sexuality known and they were in the show for like 5 minutes. Why is it that Daryl, a major character for 4 seasons, has never brought up women or done anything sexual? It makes one think that the brains behind TWD show had this planned from the start, much to the dismay of Caryl and Bethyl shippers.

Imo a badass Daryl and Jesus power couple in S6 or something would be pretty cool. Better than Daryl getting with boring Beth.

Last edited:
Less than two weeks till the premiere! I'm kinda fangirling.

I picked up TWD game on steam recently and it's really well done. I recommend it to people who like building their character in a story-driven environment.

Also S4 is now on Netflix. I'll probably re-watch it before the S5 premiere on the 12th.

Also a very interesting read is Adrian's Undead Diary. Not affiliated with TWD but it's amazingly addicting and well done.

The first 5 mins of today's episode were way too gruesome imo, shit was hard to watch.
I was actually quite surprised how graphic it was. I didn't have any trouble watching it though. The scene with Judith was difficult for me though.

All around solid opener. Im hoping Rick continues to be badass all season. Still wondering where the hell Beth is though...

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Was that Morgan at the end? Also, I love how when they're breaking out, Rick grabs a machete and Daryl grabs a pole to use.

Also do you think they'll go back to get the stuff they lost (weapons, pocket watch, etc)

Ununhexium

I closed my eyes and I slipped away...
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I heard he was that guy with the gas mask at the very end.

I knew she grabbed the crossbow but I didn't really remember her getting anything else

Yep that was definitely Morgan. I'm excited to see Lennie James on the show again, even if it's just for an episode.

Gareth and a few others definitely survived. I expect they're gonna haunt our group throughout the season. No one decided to back Rick up when he wanted to go back and finish the job, but it's gonna bite them in the ass. Didn't they learn that from the governor?

Speaking of which, I don't think Martin (the guy in the cabin with Tyreese) is dead. I think Tyreese let him live, and that's why he didn't want Carol to go back in there. Either that or he just didn't want her to see what a beast he really is, and what he's capable of. If he's alive, that's gonna bite Tyreese in the butt pretty bad.

Overall I give the episode an 8/10. It was pretty solid, but I do have a few minor complaints.

-Terminus, a place run by people deemed to be so calculated, falling to one person. Where are the people watching the perimeter?

-Lets say about 2 years into the apocalypse, why was that tank even filled? And how did Carol land that shot with the firework? Seemed like a bit of a stretch imo.

-The Terminus back story felt rushed and a little weak imo. How does a colony of good-hearted survivors turn into cannibals just because they were overthrown, raped, and tortured? I don't know.

I know that there was a lot of hype surrounding the premiere, and that it's a TV show and their #1 priority is attracting viewers and advertisers to their time slot. With that they succeeded. I'm hoping now that the hyped-up action packed premiere is done, we can get to the actual development. The group is pretty big now, with everyone reunited. I'm excited to see the dynamics.

It's overall my 5th favorite episode of the show so far.

Also Carol didn't grab Michonne's katana, but Rick's stupid watch. THAT BITCH!!!!

Another solid episode. Loved the ending! Nice and gruesome, just the way I like it!

I knew as soon as I saw Morgan Bob was gonna get screwed over lol. You can't be happy in TWD... You just can't. :p

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
>happy

more like have more than 4 black characters, bs priest is gonna die because hes black

>happy

more like have more than 4 black characters, bs priest is gonna die because hes black
True. If you're happy or black, or you somehow get more lines then you usually do...be afraid.

Imo Bob was one of the most expendable though. If it means Morgan gets to live I'm glad he was sacrificed lol.

Comic spoilers
In the comics, Father Gabriel makes it to the Alexandria Safe Zone, so unless they want him to stray very far from the comics (and they have kept him pretty true to the Comic so far), he's likely to live for most of the season, at the very least.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)