Other ORAS Mega Speculation Thread (NO talk about potential bans NOR Aegislash)

Which is your favorite?

• Beedrill

Votes: 255 26.5%
  • Pidgeot

Votes: 119 12.3%
  • Slowbro

Votes: 86 8.9%
  • Steelix

Votes: 58 6.0%
  • Sceptile

Votes: 140 14.5%
  • Swampert

Votes: 120 12.4%
  • Sableye

Votes: 62 6.4%
  • Sharpedo

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Camerupt

Votes: 57 5.9%
  • Altaria

Votes: 144 14.9%
  • Glalie

Votes: 79 8.2%
  • Salamence

Votes: 198 20.5%
  • Metagross

Votes: 164 17.0%
  • Latias

Votes: 50 5.2%
  • Latios

Votes: 54 5.6%
  • Loppuny

Votes: 125 13.0%
  • Gallade

Votes: 148 15.4%
  • Audino

Votes: 30 3.1%
  • Diancie

Votes: 74 7.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I may be opening a huge can of worms, but anyone think mLatios is a bit. . . Stupid? LO latios hits harder iinm, and defogs. The only reason to use mTios over LO latios is for a DD(mixed) set. But, why use that when there are better DDancers out right now. It's a pointless mega imo.
Yeah I think theres no reason to use MLatios over MLatias

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I know Rosen touched upon this earlier in this thread but I just want to confirm that M-Sceptile is pretty beastly. Although not perfect it's a pretty anti-meta mon towards the current meta considering how many things it's able to threaten that are found on everyday teams. I personally think with additions such as this in ORAS meta, priority is going to start to be more of necessity than it is now with the caliber of various cleaners and sweepers that will be provided. M-Camerupt is definitely a viable wallbreaker for TR teams. I went ahead and used alexwolfs Sloth team which is a TR HO team and used that over M-Heracross and granted the team it covers different things better than others with the replacement, but for test purposes M-Cam is a fantastic wallbreaker. High special attack and Sheer force effected movepool, where the damage output on things like Fire Blast and Earth Power are great.

Also just want to say Volcanion is a hilarious check to Azumarill and don't be like me and make Volcanion weak teams lol. You don't want to get walled by that thing.

I may be opening a huge can of worms, but anyone think mLatios is a bit. . . Stupid? LO latios hits harder iinm, and defogs. The only reason to use mTios over LO latios is for a DD(mixed) set. But, why use that when there are better DDancers out right now. It's a pointless mega imo.
Yeah, I'd agree with you. The lack of Life Orb recoil is nice I guess. But I don't see a reason to use a Mega Slot to do what regular Latios already does. Mega Latias at least gets bulky enough to tank stuff she couldn't before like Pursuit. The Mixed DD set was kinda eh too.

Could it be possible to run a work up set on mega audino?

Audino@Audinite
What ever nature raises def and lowers speed
252HP 100DEF 152SPDEF

Work up
Hard boiled
Return/Drain Punch
Ice Beam/refresh/Tbolt/whatever other special move that has gud coverage

I dunno with its bulk it looks like it could work on paper at least.

Could it be possible to run a work up set on mega audino?

Audino@Audinite
What ever nature raises def and lowers speed
252HP 100DEF 152SPDEF

Work up
Hard boiled
Return/Drain Punch
Ice Beam/refresh/Tbolt/whatever other special move that has gud coverage

I dunno with its bulk it looks like it could work on paper at least.
I think its relaxed nature. I also think audino can't use Softboiled. Thats one of the reasons it was unpopular iirc.

I'm sorry, but work up Audino is pointless. Base 60 Atk and 80 Sp. Atk are just deplorable for a mega evolution, so I think it can only be used defensively; and it would be outclassed as a defensive fairy. BTW I believe the nature that raises defense and lowers speed is relaxed.

Take LO Latios, give it significantly more bulk, recoil-free moves, less damage from Knock Off, Trick immunity, and more attack (enough to 2HKO Tyranitar with EQ). All at the cost of about 10% special attack and a Mega Slot. Is it worth using over standard LO Latios? I'm not sure. Losing the mega slot is huge but it arguably makes a better offensive CMer than even its sister M Latias and its own LO counterpart because the lack of LO recoil gives it more staying power. CM / Dpulse / Surf / HP Fire is pretty scary especially if you can't pivot around until LO puts it in KO range of like Scizor or something. The defense boost + lack of LO recoil is really noticeable when sponging stray priority moves as it guarantees survival against Banded Talonflame Brave Bird and Band Mamo Ice Shard even after SR, both of which easily KO LO Latios. M Latios even survives Bisharp Sucker Punch about half of the time.

It's probably a "meh" mega but I refuse to believe that the game has power creeped to a point where a base 700 Dragon type Pokemon with 130 / 160 / 110 offensive stats is outclassed.

Last edited:
A Dragon dance Outrage Mega Salamence set is viable right? I mean you can't hit Heatran that hard but does that stop it from being Viable?
Or Dragon Claw. But most sets I see have Earthquake over Dragon, so there's that

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
A Dragon dance Outrage Mega Salamence set is viable right? I mean you can't hit Heatran that hard but does that stop it from being Viable?
Or Dragon Claw. But most sets I see have Earthquake over Dragon, so there's that
+1 252+ Atk Salamence Outrage vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 166-196 (43.1 - 50.9%) -- 53.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Pretty sure you're good there. It's not like Heatran is hard to wear down anyway since it lacks recovery.

+1 252+ Atk Salamence Outrage vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 166-196 (43.1 - 50.9%) -- 53.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Pretty sure you're good there. It's not like Heatran is hard to wear down anyway since it lacks recovery.
Oh, thanks.

I thought the question was dumb as it's Mega Salamenc we're talking about, but I just wasn't 100% sure if Outrage was a viable option over Earthquake.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Oh, thanks.

I thought the question was dumb as it's Mega Saalamence, but I just wasn't 100% sure if Outrage was an option over Earthquake
Just make sure Fairies are dead beforehand and you should be good. A couple people mentioned running Magnezone as a partner, which goes well with a purely physical Mega Salamence by removing Ferrothorn and Skarmory on top of weakening Fairies.

Would CM Mega Latias be viable? idk if offensive or defensive, but the thing is that Mega Latias' Mega Venusaur-level physical defense and the lack of knock off's power boost seems to be a good deal for CM Mega Latias.

Would CM Mega Latias be viable? idk if offensive or defensive, but the thing is that Mega Latias' Mega Venusaur-level physical defense and the lack of knock off's power boost seems to be a good deal for CM Mega Latias.
That is an excellent point. In fact, I'd say either mega lati would be viable options for a good CM set, as they both get enough of a BST boost to make it work. The lack of recovery is more than offset by the lack of knock off weakness, so that's a pretty good situation. I mean, CM sets are viable on the lati twins NOW, so I don't see any reason why their megas would be a different story.

That is an excellent point. In fact, I'd say either mega lati would be viable options for a good CM set, as they both get enough of a BST boost to make it work. The lack of recovery is more than offset by the lack of knock off weakness, so that's a pretty good situation. I mean, CM sets are viable on the lati twins NOW, so I don't see any reason why their megas would be a different story.
Isn't Roost a recovery move? Or do I misunderstand your point?

Also I like that people underestimate Mega Glalie. Finally we have a Mega for the NU metagame, hooray!

I meant w/lefties, sorry, that was vague.
Thanks to reliable recovery and significant boost to its bulk, Mega Latias does not need to worry about passive recovery. Even with leftovers, at least on the physical side, Mega Latias, even if it is not a huge differents, it can still tank better than normal Latias.
Only powerwise Latias with Life Orb is better, but then again, there is Meta Latios which can do the offensive fast (but bulky) Defogger set.

So I made a Mega Beedrill spread:

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 248 Atk / 188 Def / 72 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect/Knock Off
- Drill Run
- Poison Jab
- U-turn

Mega Beedrills hits 378, enough to outspeed Greninja and anything slower than it. I didn't put 252 attack because there is no difference with 248 attack on Mega-Beedrill. The rest is put into the lowest stat to increase Beedrills bulk to important enough levels.

You see, if you remember the pink blob Chansey, you know that if you increase a really low stat, it gets more effective. I just want to show you what a difference it is investing in Def instead of HP and having no investment at all:

252+ Atk Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Beedrill: 283-334 (104.4 - 123.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 188 HP / 0 Def Beedrill: 283-334 (88.9 - 105%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 188 Def Beedrill: 202-238 (74.5 - 87.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Interesting, isn't it?

Investing into Beedrills Def Stat is incredible useful. Look at the difference! Now someone might argue that special attacks bone you. But what is the only special priority move? Vacuum Wave ;)

Last edited:

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
EVs: 248 Atk / 188 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect/Knock Off
- Drill Run
- Poison Jab
- U-turn

Mega Beedrills hits 378, enough to outspeed Greninja and anything slower than it. I didn't put 252 attack because there is no difference with 248 attack on Mega-Beedrill. The rest is put into the lowest stat to increase Beedrills bulk to important enough levels. You see, if you remember the pink blob Chansey, you know that if you increase a really low stat, it gets more effective. I just want to show you what a difference it is investing in Def instead of HP and having no investment at all:
252+ Atk Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Beedrill: 283-334 (104.4 - 123.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 188 HP / 0 Def Beedrill: 283-334 (88.9 - 105%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252+ Atk Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 188 Def Beedrill: 202-238 (74.5 - 87.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

You see? Investing into Beedrills Def Stat is incredible useful. Look at the difference! Now someone might argue that special attacks bone you. But what is the only special priority move? Vacuum Wave ;)
You have WAY too many EVs in there.

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
EVs: 248 Atk / 188 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect/Knock Off
- Drill Run
- Poison Jab
- U-turn

Mega Beedrills hits 378, enough to outspeed Greninja and anything slower than it. I didn't put 252 attack because there is no difference with 248 attack on Mega-Beedrill. The rest is put into the lowest stat to increase Beedrills bulk to important enough levels.

You see, if you remember the pink blob Chansey, you know that if you increase a really low stat, it gets more effective. I just want to show you what a difference it is investing in Def instead of HP and having no investment at all:

Interesting, isn't it?

Investing into Beedrills Def Stat is incredible useful. Look at the difference! Now someone might argue that special attacks bone you. But what is the only special priority move? Vacuum Wave ;)
As mentioned above that's way overboard with EVS. I still don't like the idea of this anyway, 188 is a LOT of EVs to be sacrificing from beedrills power or speed. You're still OHKO'd after rocks (which beedrill will be up against all the time) and LO bisharp still merks you regardless.

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 188 Def Beedrill: 263-309 (97 - 114%) -- 75% chance to OHKO

So, anyone else think mega sharpedo is going to be a letdown? It seems cool, but when i stare at it's stats, i'm just not quite sure it's going to be any good, or at least not good enough to be worth a mega slot. I mean, at only 105 speed, it's going to almost NEED to speed boost once as normal sharpedo to be viable as a sweeper, and that's almost always going to require running protect. And it would still be mach punch bait, or worse, setup bait for things that can still end up faster (agility mega metagross/DD mega 'mence anyone?). So am I just overthinking things, or is mega sharpedo not going to be that good? I hope I'm wrong, since sharpedo is a cool bro, but I don't have a lot of hope for him, honestly.

Definitely seeing Rotom-W becoming my go to glue once again despite mega sceptile existing, as it's a fantastic counter to mega swampert. That thing is going to be absolutely terrifying. Rotom-W still answers a lot of threats well in the hypothetical new meta. It would also be an alright response to mega Salamence since it generally won't run dragon STAB, except for substitute variants which completely set up on it so yeah scratch that.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
So, anyone else think mega sharpedo is going to be a letdown? It seems cool, but when i stare at it's stats, i'm just not quite sure it's going to be any good, or at least not good enough to be worth a mega slot. I mean, at only 105 speed, it's going to almost NEED to speed boost once as normal sharpedo to be viable as a sweeper, and that's almost always going to require running protect. And it would still be mach punch bait, or worse, setup bait for things that can still end up faster (agility mega metagross/DD mega 'mence anyone?). So am I just overthinking things, or is mega sharpedo not going to be that good? I hope I'm wrong, since sharpedo is a cool bro, but I don't have a lot of hope for him, honestly.
It looks like it could be a good late game cleaner once things are weakened and you won't need to switch it out. It does still have Aqua Jet if you're worried about priority, and the STAB Strong Jaw crunch hurts a lot

Sharpedo is a shame. They wasted too many points in bulk when they should have went beedrill style and just boosted speed and attack. Sharpedo is left with a mega that is too slow without a speed boost and not even consistently stronger than the LO variant. The only thing it has going for it is crunch which hits really fucking hard (harder than beedrills x-scissor) but that's not worth a mega slot tbh. I don't know what they were thinking really, it's defences were so shit that increasing them was basically pointless. What a waste. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)