Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
How come everybody seems to be saying that aegislash is coming back soon ?
Probably because at the beginning of new generations or huge metagame shifts, things are often retested to see if they are still broken, for example the Deoxys forms and genesect.

What EV investment should I use for Physically Defensive Smooth Rock + Stealth Rock + Pursuit Tyranitar?

I'm thinking of utilizing it as a pursuit trapper, so an Attack investment should also be needed, as well.

What EV investment should I use for Physically Defensive Smooth Rock + Stealth Rock + Pursuit Tyranitar?

I'm thinking of utilizing it as a pursuit trapper, so an Attack investment should also be needed, as well.
I'd run Adamant with 24 attack EVs, as that hits an EV jump point, and also guarantees the OHKO on Latios if it tries to switch out, then 248 in HP, with the rest in defenses. With 248HP and 12 SpD, you can always avoid being 2HKOed by Life Orb Surf from Latios.

I'd run Adamant with 24 attack EVs, as that hits an EV jump point, and also guarantees the OHKO on Latios if it tries to switch out, then 248 in HP, with the rest in defenses. With 248HP and 12 SpD, you can always avoid being 2HKOed by Life Orb Surf from Latios.
What other Pokémon that can be OHKOed /2HKOed with 24 Atk EVs, that 0 Atk EVs normally can't with Pursuit?

I'm having some trouble getting rid of CM + Moonblast Clefables. What are some Pokemon, or even better, strategies to get rid of them? Thank you in advanced cx

I'm having some trouble getting rid of CM + Moonblast Clefables. What are some Pokemon, or even better, strategies to get rid of them? Thank you in advanced cx
Heatran is a good counter against Clefable. It resists Fairy by 4x and if Clefable has set up enough, it can use Roar to get rid of the boosted stats. Maybe try a set like this?
Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
and
+6 252 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 86-101 (22.2 - 26.1%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery
So Heatran is probably your best bet. Otherwise, Bisharp could work too.

What other Pokémon that can be OHKOed /2HKOed with 24 Atk EVs, that 0 Atk EVs normally can't with Pursuit?
Generally, to squeeze the most out of EVs, it's best to use the boosting nature on the highest base stat (for 252/252 spreads that just aim to maximise two stats this isn't an issue). Since you wanted to run Pursuit, and Latios is the most common Defog user in OU, having a guaranteed OHKO on it if it tried to switch out would be useful (with 24 attack EVs you also get 24+ Atk Tyranitar Pursuit vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Latias: 138-164 (45.8 - 54.4%), so if Latias switches out and you get Stealth Rocks up, it can't come back in ). You need 339 attack (148 attack evs, or 20 with a positive nature+) to guarantee doing over 50% to 0 HP / 0 Def Latios, but for a base stat ending in 4, like Tyranitar's 134 attack, there's an EV jump point at 24 [20+ attack Tyranitar = 339, 24+ attack Tyranitar = 341], so I decided to bump the attack up slightly higher to reach this and make the most efficient use out of Tyranitar's EVs.

Let's say I'm using 248 HP, 24+ Atk, 224 Def, 12 SpD, then I get 403 HP, 341 Atk, 312 Def, 239 SpD
but if I ran a defense boosting nature and aimed for the same 339 attack, I'd need 248 HP, 140 Atk, 12 SpD, with 108+ Def left over, which would give me totals of 403 HP, 339 Atk, 311 Def and 12 SpD, which leaves Tyranitar with slightly lower attack and defense. As a positive nature gives a 10% boost to the stats, when you're investing in multiple stats, where possible, it's more beneficial to place it in the highest stat.

Pokemon with Taunt and access to a form of recovery can completely shut down Clefable. Specially Defensive Gliscor and Talonflame can both safely switch into Clefable as it goes for Calm Mind, and can then Taunt it and slowly take it down.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You can also check it offensively with Pokemon like Excadrill, Bisharp, Scizor and Toxicroak, though a lot of these Pokemon cannot switch in all that safely due to the threat of Flamethrower.

Last edited:
Minor thing. With boosts from means such as Scarf, Specs, or Boosting moves, do odd numbers round up or down?

For example, say I have a Dragonite with 249 Speed (248+ EV). If I DD, does it's effective speed increase to 373 (124, rounds down) or 374 (125, rounds up).

Might make a difference if I'm EVing Scarfers or boosters to speed creep, or speed creeping against such.

Minor thing. With boosts from means such as Scarf, Specs, or Boosting moves, do odd numbers round up or down?

For example, say I have a Dragonite with 249 Speed (248+ EV). If I DD, does it's effective speed increase to 373 (124, rounds down) or 374 (125, rounds up).

Might make a difference if I'm EVing Scarfers or boosters to speed creep, or speed creeping against such.
It's always rounded down.

You can also check it offensively with Pokemon like Excadrill, Bisharp, Scizor and Croakgunk, though a lot of these Pokemon cannot switch in all that safely due to the threat of Flamethrower.
I hope you meant Toxicroak lol.

Anyways I was trying to build a team around standard Shell Smash Cloyster and what aer some good ways to support him. So far I have been thinking about Magnezone but not much else comes to mind. I know Cloyster is unviable btw but I just wanna try it out for once since I never used it before.

What's the best set for Scarf Lando w/ HP Ice + Earthpower? Really stuck on last 2 moves, I've seen someone posted a set similiar to what I'm looking for but I can't find it :/

What's the best set for Scarf Lando w/ HP Ice + Earthpower? Really stuck on last 2 moves, I've seen someone posted a set similiar to what I'm looking for but I can't find it :/
Do you mean Lando-T or or Lando-I? I only ask because normally Life Orb is used on Lando-I and Scarf is normally used on Lando-T (not to say you HAVE to use Life Orb on Lando-I, but it would help to clarify)

Do you mean Lando-T or or Lando-I? I only ask because normally Life Orb is used on Lando-I and Scarf is normally used on Lando-T (not to say you HAVE to use Life Orb on Lando-I, but it would help to clarify)
My bad, Lando-I** w/ Scarf. And yeah, I know Lando-I usually runs LO but I just want to know what's best for the last 2 moveslot for Scarf Lando-I

So i was battling my friend in an OU Double battle for fun, i had a timid hydreigon 31 speed iv's and 252 ev's with choice band and a prankster Klefki with thunder wave.
My friend was using a jolly Infernape 31 speed iv's and 252 speed ev's with choice scarf and a drought ninetales, so i used thunderwave on infernape and earth power with my hydreigon and he outsped me and close combat my hydreigon taking me down to about 40 hp (i had reflect up) he shouldn't have outsped me but he did...i checked afterwards seeing that infernape has 176 speed and my hydreigon has 165 i added 50% to infernape for the choice scarf and took 50% off that from paralysis and it ended up being 132 speed....SO how did my hydreigon not outspeed 132 speed infernape?

i need clarification.

So i was battling my friend in an OU Double battle for fun, i had a timid hydreigon 31 speed iv's and 252 ev's with choice band and a prankster Klefki with thunder wave.
My friend was using a jolly Infernape 31 speed iv's and 252 speed ev's with choice scarf and a drought ninetales, so i used thunderwave on infernape and earth power with my hydreigon and he outsped me and close combat my hydreigon taking me down to about 40 hp (i had reflect up) he shouldn't have outsped me but he did...i checked afterwards seeing that infernape has 176 speed and my hydreigon has 165 i added 50% to infernape for the choice scarf and took 50% off that from paralysis and it ended up being 132 speed....SO how did my hydreigon not outspeed 132 speed infernape?

i need clarification.
Turn order would have been locked in using Infernape's pre-Thunder Wave speed. So on subsequent turns you would outspeed the Infernape, but because it wasn't paralyzed to start the turn, it still outsped your Hydreigon on the Thunder Wave turn.

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist

i need clarification.
To add to what RuhRohRaggie said, paralysis also reduces speed to 1/4, not 1/2.

Okay i will ask him for a rematch and see if that was the case...though if it is..that puts my whole strategy down the drain using a prankster support

Pyritie

TAMAGO
is an Artist
Okay i will ask him for a rematch and see if that was the case...though if it is..that puts my whole strategy down the drain using a prankster support
Stuff like this is one of the reasons why Protect is such a popular move in doubles. You might want to look into using it some more!

Stuff like this is one of the reasons why Protect is such a popular move in doubles. You might want to look into using it some more!
Yep, i was faster on the second turn, thanks guys, guess i'll have to try paralyzing and switching in or something... and yeah good point...though if i use protect i have to lose flamethrower or earthpower and that's my coverage D: but i'll figure it out, probably flamethrower.

thanks again :) i actually didn't go with protect because i thought the thunderwave would work... i know about mega pokemons stats not changing until the next turn and stuff but didn't think it applied to status effects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)